Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

poo poo, I've been meaning to set mine up and never did it. Does this make it a lot easier? It didn't seem like something that required a tool when I looked into it before, but I remember thinking I needed a person to help out.

You either need a second person to help steady the bike and take measurements, or a front chock that will hold the bike upright + a tool like the Motion Pro one that was linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

poo poo, I've been meaning to set mine up and never did it. Does this make it a lot easier? It didn't seem like something that required a tool when I looked into it before, but I remember thinking I needed a person to help out.

Yeah. I really like mine. The Tusk version is $20, too, if you don’t need the fancy blue. https://youtu.be/GweeQo2GG6U

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You don't need a tool, just three people and a tape measure, but if you're on your own they can be handy.

The real problem is most Japanese bikes (captain you're on an fz09 right?) are chronically undersprung. Not because Japanese test riders are tiny or whatever, not because it's somehow cheaper, but because too soggy is always safer than too stiff (see above) from a product perspective. You don't know how light the person buying the bike will be so you assume it'll be M42 and the fatties just get to ride around with a shitload of grip and no agility.

With bikes that have mediocre suspension without a lot of adjustment, I've found it's more beneficial to make adjustments by trial and error until the front end and turn in feel 'right', chasing the numbers tends to be a waste of time on the cheaper Japanese bikes as most people are too heavy. Keep in mind that adjusting shock preload is the most fundamental, most 'coarse' means to change the fore/aft balance of the bike and by extension the steering geometry and size of the contact patches so as to match the way you ride, your tyres, road conditions etc.

That's why the cheapest bikes have no adjustment, one tier up have just preload on the rear because it's the setting that has the biggest effect on the bike, then the next tier usually have rebound damping adjustment on the forks and shock as that's the next most influential and so on. What you feel on the bike always trumps what it says in the manual or whatever.

Squatting on it's rear end like a chopper, steering feels light and vague? Not enough preload.

Tips into the corners crazy fast, steering is heavy, feels unstable going fast in a straight line? Too much preload.

Ultimately the goal is to get the bike so it's comfortable and confidence inspiring for you, there isn't a magic setting calculated by men in white coats that works for everyone. Several times the only good result I've been able to get for people is the rear preload just cranked to the maximum.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

You don't need a tool, just three people and a tape measure, but if you're on your own they can be handy.

The real problem is most Japanese bikes (captain you're on an fz09 right?) are chronically undersprung. Not because Japanese test riders are tiny or whatever, not because it's somehow cheaper, but because too soggy is always safer than too stiff (see above) from a product perspective. You don't know how light the person buying the bike will be so you assume it'll be M42 and the fatties just get to ride around with a shitload of grip and no agility.

With bikes that have mediocre suspension without a lot of adjustment, I've found it's more beneficial to make adjustments by trial and error until the front end and turn in feel 'right', chasing the numbers tends to be a waste of time on the cheaper Japanese bikes as most people are too heavy. Keep in mind that adjusting shock preload is the most fundamental, most 'coarse' means to change the fore/aft balance of the bike and by extension the steering geometry and size of the contact patches so as to match the way you ride, your tyres, road conditions etc.

That's why the cheapest bikes have no adjustment, one tier up have just preload on the rear because it's the setting that has the biggest effect on the bike, then the next tier usually have rebound damping adjustment on the forks and shock as that's the next most influential and so on. What you feel on the bike always trumps what it says in the manual or whatever.

Squatting on it's rear end like a chopper, steering feels light and vague? Not enough preload.

Tips into the corners crazy fast, steering is heavy, feels unstable going fast in a straight line? Too much preload.

Ultimately the goal is to get the bike so it's comfortable and confidence inspiring for you, there isn't a magic setting calculated by men in white coats that works for everyone. Several times the only good result I've been able to get for people is the rear preload just cranked to the maximum.

You've inspired me to fiddle with my bike and see if I can't improve it. 240lb rider, I know I'm undersprung but I do have some adjustments I can make. Anyone got a GoPro? :D

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

I am on a first-gen FZ but the PO replaced the fork internals and the shock, so they both have much more adjustability than stock.

I think I will have to grab that MotionPro; I like their stuff. Give me something to do when the wet leaves are all over the road. Anyone in Chicagoland can borry it when I'm done (not in Gary tho).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I still have some revzilla gift certificate cash, so I'm going for that motion pro tool too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Did some work on an R6 that the guy has just bought, I picked it up from his place without him being there. The bike has pretty clearly been set up as a track weapon by the PO - power commander, trick shock, quick shifter, nice tyres and bunch of other little touches here and there, all good stuff. After I did my thing I jump on it for the test ride and the rear suspension just...doesn't sag. I weigh just over 70kg on a good day and this thing is sagging so little with me on that my missus had trouble deciding if it was 4mm or 5mm (har har). Shock spring preload is backed right off. Clearly sprung for a substantially heavier rider, confirmed by having my ~85kg mate sit on it and get somewhat acceptable sag.

Riding it is pretty scary. Forks are factory so all feels ok turning in, if a bit flighty, but the thing has no grip or feel in the rear. If you hit a small bump at WOT, perfectly upright, it develops a terrifying headshake that I feel lucky to have gotten out of. I didn't want to know what happens if you try using the gas in a corner. It's the first (choppers excepted) bike I've test ridden where I got part of the way up the test route and turned around out of fear of crashing.

I deliver it to the guy and he's visibly smaller and lighter than me. I told him all of the above, emphasising that the bike can't generate traction with a light person on it, and suggested he should either sell the shock and put in a factory unit or track down a replacement spring suited to his weight.

He sort of laughed it off and said 'it's sweet bro that's what throttles are for!'

The fastest bike he's owned is an R3.

:rip:

No_Prisoners.m4v

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Some dipshit stopped in a blind corner, and I coudn't find purchase on the banked turn to stop the bike from laying down. Only scratched the crash bar. Phew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGV4FB2p4_8&t=4s

VVV It's not a crash, it just had to take a little nap.

pokie fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 8, 2018

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Glad you came out unscathed. If you're going to bend it, better to have a lame wobble/topple than anything else, if it's any consolation.

:laffo: what a dweeb crash. :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Some dipshit stopped in a blind corner, and I coudn't find purchase on the banked turn to stop the bike from laying down. Only scratched the crash bar. Phew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGV4FB2p4_8&t=4s

VVV It's not a crash, it just had to take a little nap.

Saved for my new video series "Okay, Some Prisoners".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd watch "Plenty of Prisoners", where all the gentle stops have plush squeakie sounds overlaid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Today my stock DRZ exhaust scared a bald eagle out of a tree. I think there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It was a cold and super foggy day, so I figured I'd ride home through Forks Of The Credit, figuring there wouldn't be too many leaf peepers out before noon on a miserable day.

Not a lot of traffic, but on the downhill portion right after the hairpin I caught up to the car in front of me, who decided to stop dead in the middle of the hill and throw his hazards on. Like WTF?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My new rider buddy decided to take out the exhaust insert that made his aftermarket FZ-07 exhaust tolerable. It's loud enough to set off car alarms with the insert removed, and actually really annoying to ride. I asked him why he removed the insert? "I like it louder, and since I wear ear plugs it doesn't bother me."

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:sever:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Alternately, refuse to ride with him until he fixes it. As a temporary loud exhaust haver, I feel a little self-conscious riding with other people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MomJeans420 posted:

My new rider buddy decided to take out the exhaust insert that made his aftermarket FZ-07 exhaust tolerable. It's loud enough to set off car alarms with the insert removed, and actually really annoying to ride. I asked him why he removed the insert? "I like it louder, and since I wear ear plugs it doesn't bother me."

Literally cut his brake lines

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

Literally cut his brake lines

drat, you don't have to do all that.

Just get an allen wrench and loosen the bleed screws.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Go for a ride somewhere, stop a mile from a gas station and deflate both his tires. He can choose between pushing or riding along at 5kmh trying to be inconspicuous.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Go for a ride somewhere, stop a mile from a gas station and deflate both his tires. He can choose between pushing or riding along at 5kmh trying to be inconspicuous.

I change my vote to this with the addendum that you must wear a GoPro and do slow circles around him for the entire event.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

These are all good ideas, but I may skip cutting the brake lines. The funny thing is he's absolutely not the kind of guy that you'd expect this from, we always joke he's in his late 20s with the personality of a 45 year old. Super straight laced and polite, and not even a squid.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've met a quite a few people who are very polite and mild mannered and all-around nice who own bikes with offensively loud pipes. Murdercycles are evil things and they turn people into assholes when you sit on them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's just another bit of evidence for my theory that motorcycles are actually drugs. Some people just can't be responsible about them.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

loud pipes rule and this proves once again goons have bad opinions :D

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I say this every time loud exhausts come up but y’all lame.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I suppose if you only ride 250ccs like these boobs suggest a loud pipe would sound like rear end

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

¿mande?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Quite A Tool posted:

I say this every time loud exhausts come up but y’all lame.

*Sticks finger in ear and swivels*

WHAT?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Loud like a big meaty Ducati or whatever is great. Loud like a 600 with a fart can is one of the worst sounds in the world, and the only people who think it sounds good going down the street sounding like a lumber mill at 4500rpm are either attention whore idiots or in denial about their bike sounding like poo poo

In short: decibels don't determine if your bike sounds like an obnoxious piece of poo poo or not.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

loud pipes rule and this proves once again goons have bad opinions :D

Is goon, has bad opinion; checks out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

Loud like a big meaty Ducati or whatever is great. Loud like a 600 with a fart can is one of the worst sounds in the world, and the only people who think it sounds good going down the street sounding like a lumber mill at 4500rpm are either attention whore idiots or in denial about their bike sounding like poo poo

In short: decibels don't determine if your bike sounds like an obnoxious piece of poo poo or not.

As usual, V twin best twin

My Hawk (which has a reasonably quiet but great-sounding Supertrapp on it) sounds like the voice of God with the muffler removed.

On the other hand, I was waiting at a stoplight a few days ago and a guy went by on a Rebel 250 with open pipes and it sounded like satan's assblast

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the tuono with the titanium straight pipe only sounds 50% as good as the akra 2-to-2 :saddowns:

e:2, damnit 2

Razzled fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 9, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I like how the FZ-09 sounds with the stock pipe.

Above 8k on the highway.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

As usual, V twin best twin

My Hawk (which has a reasonably quiet but great-sounding Supertrapp on it) sounds like the voice of God with the muffler removed.

On the other hand, I was waiting at a stoplight a few days ago and a guy went by on a Rebel 250 with open pipes and it sounded like satan's assblast

truth

my buddy has a Hawk GT with a supertrapp with an open endcap and it sounds extremely rad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guy's bike won't run without the choke. Quick play around with it convinces me pilot jets are totally clogged or similar fuckery. It's an otherwise very tidy ZZR1100.

"Nah mate it just started misfiring when I was riding it like a month ago, can't be that!"

Are you sure it hasn't sat without being ridden for ages?

"Nah no way I like start and ride it every couple of weeks!"

Carbs are packed with varnish, stuff in the tank is brown and so stale it's not recognisable as petrol anymore.

Why do they always lie? Why?? What can they possibly gain by lying to the oval office fixing the loving thing? I'll always find out the problem, it's my bloody job. Do they want me not to fix it or are they embarrassed of being idiots? Like you're paying me to fix it, wouldn't you want to give me as much information as possible?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Trying to order a set of luggage racks and everywhere is saying they're available and taking my money before sheepishly emailing me up to a week later to say "whoops Givi don't actually make these anymore and we never had them physically on our shelves we were just ordering from them, sorry here's your money back" :argh:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Guy's bike won't run without the choke. Quick play around with it convinces me pilot jets are totally clogged or similar fuckery. It's an otherwise very tidy ZZR1100.

"Nah mate it just started misfiring when I was riding it like a month ago, can't be that!"

Are you sure it hasn't sat without being ridden for ages?

"Nah no way I like start and ride it every couple of weeks!"

Carbs are packed with varnish, stuff in the tank is brown and so stale it's not recognisable as petrol anymore.

Why do they always lie? Why?? What can they possibly gain by lying to the oval office fixing the loving thing? I'll always find out the problem, it's my bloody job. Do they want me not to fix it or are they embarrassed of being idiots? Like you're paying me to fix it, wouldn't you want to give me as much information as possible?

I don't fix bikes for other people (lol gently caress that) but what I have learned about problem solving other people's problems is that they will lie, and lie, and lie again until the end of time and hold back vital information instead of giving me that information which saves everyone time and money because....well poo poo I don't understand the motivation behind it either. I can empathize with not wanting to be embarrassed in front of someone but not to the point of taking a $200 job and turning it into a $1000 job. Not only will they hold back information they will knowingly give information that is false if it will potentially disavow them of any culpability in causing the problem. Time is time whether I'm fixing something efficiently because of solid information or chasing nonexistent geese.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Lying to your mechanic is like lying to your doctor; you can't fix a sick patient on bad information, and there's no fuckin' reason to do it. If anything, the mechanics I use get an overabundance of symptoms I've observed and become slightly annoyed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beach Bum posted:

Lying to your mechanic is like lying to your doctor; you can't fix a sick patient on bad information, and there's no fuckin' reason to do it. If anything, the mechanics I use get an overabundance of symptoms I've observed and become slightly annoyed :v:

Yeah, this is my method when I get to the point of taking a car to the mechanic, plus I always tell them everything I've done to try to fix it or anything I've done that may be confounding. They usually tell me way more about what's going on if I own up to loving around with stuff. Like the time I took my wife's car in because the torque converter was slipping and it was because I'd emptied the tranny and doubled up on oil attempting to change it.