Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With regards to the Sabbat Crusade, obviously the inquisition is just waiting until the end of the crusade when they can easily tie up all their loose ends by dropping virus bombs on New Tanith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That would literally kill me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bango skank posted:

With regards to the Sabbat Crusade, obviously the inquisition is just waiting until the end of the crusade when they can easily tie up all their loose ends by dropping virus bombs on New Tanith.

Like they're ever gonna find New Tanith. Abnett is gonna write one, maybe two more books and be so done with this Warhammer poo poo that he just kills everybody.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hope the whole thing is an Eldar reading a burnt to poo poo history book and he just tosses it and is like pity they all died out 10,000 years ago *SMASH CUT WARHAMMER 5OK*

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Orv posted:

Like they're ever gonna find New Tanith. Abnett is gonna write one, maybe two more books and be so done with this Warhammer poo poo that he just kills everybody.

New Tanith was never gonna happen even if abnett weren't turbo burned out on working for Black Library by this point and had time to write 12 more Ghosts books

I think even the ghosts have accepted that was just some bullshit that got made up to get them through the first couple of years of trauma after the fall of Tanith

Waroduce posted:

I hope the whole thing is an Eldar reading a burnt to poo poo history book and he just tosses it and is like pity they all died out 10,000 years ago *SMASH CUT WARHAMMER 5OK*

the shape of the nightmare to come, was a bad fanfic

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I figure it's just a political reality that they can't wage a crusade to take back the Sabbat Worlds if they're going to purge everyone after every battle. And they're not purging everyone after the crusade ia over if they couldn't even pull that off after Armageddon. Most likely they'll closely monitor the Sabbat Worlds for centuries to make sure there's no corruption.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't segmentum pacificus suddenly erupt into thousands of rebellions as one of the side effects of the 13th black crusade? Seems like the Sabbat Worlds' liberation might have only lasted a few centuries.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

From the guy that did those Helsreach films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bgi5STRe8E

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Bunch of novellas got announced on the black library page. One of them was written by a woman, is that a first?

Probably not surprising that it's a Sisters of battle story.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/10/new-novellas-to-collect-and-read/

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 10, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laughing Zealot posted:

Bunch of novellas got announced on the black library page. One of them was written by a woman, is that a first?

Probably not surprising that it's a Sisters of battle story.

The Gildar Rift by Sarah Cawkwell

There's also a Sandy Mitchell, but that could go either way

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Wrapped up Necropolis, I think I would have enjoyed it more if Helsreach wasn't still so fresh in my mind. At a turning point now, are the Ciaphas Cain books worth my time? Trying to decide if I should shift gears or just start into the next Gaunt Trilogy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Ciaphas Cain books are good, especially for breaking up runs of more standard, serious BL books.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's also a Sandy Mitchell, but that could go either way

I think it’s a Sue D. Nyhm, and that he’s a guy?

E: His real name is Alex Stewart (which, again, could go either way, but his picture somewhat less-so?)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 10, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Owns.

Also, Graham McNeill as a voice on the voxcaster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Abnett's wife has written a few black library pieces before now.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Miguel Prado posted:

Guess he took those complains about whimpy sounding bolters seriously. :v:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Ciaphas Cain books are good, especially for breaking up runs of more standard, serious BL books.

Yeah, don't read them back to back, they get a little samey that way. But they're a decent change of pace on occasion.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

BL has released a pair of short stories written by a woman as well:
https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/eshort-a-company-of-shadows.html
https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/quick-reads/execution-eshort.html

Same author of that novella has done a short story before as well:
https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/warhammer-40000/mercy-eshort.html

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 11, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, don't read them back to back, they get a little samey that way. But they're a decent change of pace on occasion.

I experienced this the first time I read the Cain novels, binging as I do Warhammer stuff at the time. I got through, four, five? I forget, the one after Necrons I think. I've been rereading them cause it's been a while and I'm actually enjoying them more the second time around and not feeling the same burnout. I think after a dozen 30K books of grimdark space murder it's a nice change of pace all on its own.

Something I hadn't also really thought about before is that Mitchell's Guard characters are almost (kinda sorta maybe) on par with Abnett's. They start out sort of caricature and two dimensional but they end up really enjoyable as the series goes on.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 13, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If those novellas are available at regular book stores I'm gonna end up buying all of them

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok, I'm out and about in a couple of days. I'll need something to listen to.

Anyone have strong recommendations between Blood of Iax, or Incarnation - Horusian Wars (I've read the first one) to drop an Audible credit on?

P.s. I'm pretty up to date on other BL stuff I'm interested in, so alternate book choices are kind but unnecessary.

Edit: I'm a little annoyed they didn't release Plague War as an audiobook.

I hope they're not going back to some stupidly annoying scheme where they delay the release of an Audiobook for months as they did with the first Dark Imperium audio.

Actually Black Library seem really bad at communicating their audiobook schedule. Books get put up months in advance, but half the time you don't know there's going to be an audio version of a novel till it get's released.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 14, 2018

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I finished the new Dark Imperium book last night. I enjoyed it. The Death Guard/Nurgle depictions and viewpoints were not as good as Lords of Silence, but they were still pretty good. Nurgle has become my favorite Chaos faction. The lore was more filler than any huge new thing, but good nonetheless. The ending implied an interesting direction for Guilleman.

A good doggo:

quote:

A slobbering thing bounded out of the mist without warning, cannoning into one of Iolanth’s Sisters. The beast licked her effusively, picked her up in its mouth and tossed her into the air. Acid burned through her battleplate. By the time the beast lolloped over to play some more, she was dead. All this happened before the rest of Iolanth’s group could react.

The daemon beast nuzzled the corpse in whining disappointment. The first gunshot made it spin around with fresh excitement, sending its mop of tentacular hair flopping wildly. Here were some new friends, its moronic face said. It let out a happy yipping, then ran at them.

It was an ugly thing, part mollusc, part canid, part man, a collection of body parts that should never have been made into one being, gone rapidly into death and decay. But it was alive, in its way, and enthusiastic. It bubbled and giggled and barked. Bolts slammed into its slimy hide. Chunks blew off it. Slime wept from the craters in its flesh. On it ran.

‘Bring it down!’ Iolanth shouted. ‘Now!’

Verity tracked its movements, her boltgun steady in her grasp. She waited for the last moment. She waited so long, Iolanth thought the opportunity gone. Yelping playfully, the beast of Nurgle ran at them. Verity’s gun shot once. The creature skidded to a halt, frowned, and looked up at the hole drilled into its squamous forehead. Blood leaked out. It made a curious noise. The bolt exploded. The beast keeled over with a disappointed whimper and dissolved into the soil.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 15, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Well tell us about the Guillmen thing bro

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I liked the chaos guy getting squished by the repulsor. He thought he was so smart.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Which new dark imperium book is this as i am always down for plague doggos

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Plague War. Released last weekend.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Plague War. Released last weekend.

whats the new direction for gmann?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zasze posted:

whats the new direction for gmann?

The ending of the book has him setting down to read the Lectitio Divinatus for the first time. It seems like he’s having some doubts as to the Imperial Truth.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a thing in Dark Imperium too. Guilliman questions the Emperor's claims to not be a god.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

That was a thing in Dark Imperium too. Guilliman questions the Emperor's claims to not be a god.

Yeah, but this time it was a little more serious. There is a "saint" who saves him from Mortarion by channeling the emperor's will. He dismisses her as a extremely powerful psyker, but he also thinks about how he can't square what happened to him in the throne room with emps not being a god. At the end of the book he has a severe overreaction about emps not being a god towards his ecclesiarchy sidekick, as if he is trying to convince himself/angry that he might be wrong. Then after that he retreats to his private sanctum and pulls out the divinatus while having a bunch of "maybe...." thoughts. And the book literally ends with the first words of the divinatus implying this is the direction they are taking rowboat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, but this time it was a little more serious. There is a "saint" who saves him from Mortarion by channeling the emperor's will. He dismisses her as a extremely powerful psyker, but he also thinks about how he can't square what happened to him in the throne room with emps not being a god. At the end of the book he has a severe overreaction about emps not being a god towards his ecclesiarchy sidekick, as if he is trying to convince himself/angry that he might be wrong. Then after that he retreats to his private sanctum and pulls out the divinatus while having a bunch of "maybe...." thoughts. And the book literally ends with the first words of the divinatus implying this is the direction they are taking rowboat.

After Calth, Rowboat got switched with an amnesiac Lorgar

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

The ending of the book has him setting down to read the Lectitio Divinatus for the first time. It seems like he’s having some doubts as to the Imperial Truth.

That kinda owns and is a nice little arc since Gdubs and Lorgar always had a interesting relationship.

He had a nice little monologue in the first dark imperium where he is running through scenarios of how the emperor could be divine and the one that seemed to bug him was that the emperor wasnt divine but is now and then he flashes back to being in the throne room and kinda gets upset or disturbed by it.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
So much angst over a largely semantic argument. Where's the line between a supremely powerful psyker and a god and what does it ultimately even matter?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Rowboat broke his brother’s world and mind and soul in service of the risible lie advanced by an arrogant and deeply cynical father-god which kicked off the largest civil war in the history of man? And he’s having an feelings about this?

:monocle:

BORN TO DIE / SEGMENTUM IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 005M31 / I am trash marine / 410,757,864,530 DEAD THUNDER WARRIORS

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Lorgar was punished for largely semantic reasons too. The definition of a god that he gives the Emperor when he confronts him Magnus in The First Heretic isn't like we think of Jehovah but just as a really powerful psyker. The Emperor just had a stick up his rear end about using the G word.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 15, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
“Thing-that-is-more-powerful-than-Gilgamesh-but-less-than-Big-G-God” is a lot of letters. :effort:

Although He might have literally been Gilgamesh as well?

The usual term would be “Demigod”, but even during the GC/HH it seems like Emps was beyond the D&D Demigod level.

Like, He might not have already been full-Pelor, but there’s no goddamn way He doesn’t stomp Iuz like a little bitch (at least, at any time post-Unity).

Since then He’s gone full-Pelor, imo.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Senjuro posted:

Lorgar was punished for largely semantic reasons too. The definition of a god that he gives the Emperor when he confronts him Magnus in The First Heretic isn't like we think of Jehovah but just as a really powerful psyker. The Emperor just had a stick up his rear end about using the G word.

I assume at the time the emperor feared trillions of humans believing in his divinity and the effects that would have on him via the warp.

It’s not just semantic the lecticio divinatus was about the emperors worship, lorgar built altars and churches to him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Don't the majority of Astartes with the exception of Black Templars and Grey Knights and so forth actually reject the idea of Emps being considered to be more than just a mortal human being?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Zasze posted:

I assume at the time the emperor feared trillions of humans believing in his divinity and the effects that would have on him via the warp.

It’s not just semantic the lecticio divinatus was about the emperors worship, lorgar built altars and churches to him.

But if what he was preaching was what he told Magnus:

Lorgar Aurelian posted:

‘Is he a magical sky-spirit dwelling inside a mythical paradise? No. I am not a fool. He is not a god as primitive cultures once understood the concept. But the Emperor is a god in all but name, Magnus. He is psychic power incarnated within a physical shell. When he speaks, his lips never move and his throat makes no sound. His face is a thousand visages at once. The only aspect of humanity he possesses is the facade he wears to interact with mortals.

Then he was pretty much right. I don't know how Guilliman can disagree with him anymore. That perfectly describes what Guilliman saw in his meeting with the Emperor, incredible psychic power with little humanity.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AndyElusive posted:

Don't the majority of Astartes with the exception of Black Templars and Grey Knights and so forth actually reject the idea of Emps being considered to be more than just a mortal human being?

...Ehhhhhh? “Less than most, more than some” is the term I’ve seen used to describe it?

Like: the original legions had non-divinity stomped into their heads as dogma, since then it’s really varied from chapter to chapter. Black Templars, Fire Angels, Black and White Consuls, the not-Emperors Children Primaris Chapter, and a bunch of other chapters (explicitly) recognize His divinity.

And the ones who don’t recognize His divinity officially probably mostly fall into the “Less than most, more than some” category?

Because everyone who sees the Emperor without a fedora-full of ideological priors says: “oh, it’s a god”.

The Emperor is so obviously a god that the denialist chapters have got to be feeling increasingly like Christian Scientists with appendicitis. And most of them probably secretly accept the divinity of He-on-Terra too, they just get all Rowboaty about it.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 15, 2018