Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If you mean to get to the multitasking view, you don’t need to drag to the right. Just drag from the bottom of the screen up about halfway. If you drag more than halfway it’ll go to the home screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, but you have to pause kind of slightly or else it will just close the app or something except sometimes it doesn't? It's a pretty amazingly bad set of gestures that are difficult to even describe to another person. RIP apple.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, but you have to pause kind of slightly or else it will just close the app or something except sometimes it doesn't? It's a pretty amazingly bad set of gestures that are difficult to even describe to another person. RIP apple.

There’s no pause. Just pull up far enough to expose the dock, then stop. Flicking doesn’t work anymore.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I can pull up the dock without bringing up the multitasking or closing the current app right now as I type this very post. It's not enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I can pull up the dock without bringing up the multitasking or closing the current app right now as I type this very post. It's not enough.

Cool. We get you don’t like it. Is there something you expect us to do now?

Also, there’s no pause involved. It’s a pretty smooth gesture from the bottom to the middle of the screen. I mean, you need to have the hand-eye coordination to actually lift your finger from the screen, but it’s pretty much a single gesture.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes please fix it for me.

I guess pause is inaccurate, but it's definitely a slowdown. A "flick" compared to a slower swipe produces different results for me, even if they're done to the exact same height from the bottom of the screen. The faster one tends to return to the home screen, the slower one tends to open up the multitasking, but again, it feels inconsistent (and not to mention unintuitive) to me.

Please don't take this as an attack on the sanctity of iOS 12's iPad gestures if such a thing offends you :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are you guys talking about bringing up an overlay window while in another app? I was wondering why that was happening accidentally now. All the drat time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yes please fix it for me.

I guess pause is inaccurate, but it's definitely a slowdown. A "flick" compared to a slower swipe produces different results for me, even if they're done to the exact same height from the bottom of the screen. The faster one tends to return to the home screen, the slower one tends to open up the multitasking, but again, it feels inconsistent (and not to mention unintuitive) to me.

Please don't take this as an attack on the sanctity of iOS 12's iPad gestures if such a thing offends you :)

It's really bad. It worked great on iOS 11. This is an attack on iOS 12's gestures. Also the inconsistency of gestures between an iPad and an iPhone SE is also bad, but not unique to iOS 12, just a bad OS in general.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POCKET CHOMP posted:

lol

I wasn’t, I just.. the RAWR THIS RUINS EVERYTHING gets tiresome when it’s posted three or four times in successions.

But whatever, I always forget it gets like this when a new version is released. Have fun.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Are there any notable improvements in ios12 that I would be losing out on staying with 11? An easy fix to the gestures to me would be to just not upgrade but I have been holding off and trying to see if there are any tangible benefits to updating.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

rio posted:

Are there any notable improvements in ios12 that I would be losing out on staying with 11? An easy fix to the gestures to me would be to just not upgrade but I have been holding off and trying to see if there are any tangible benefits to updating.

Faster, password managers integration, just all around better than ios11. Gestures aren't even a big deal and people are just being cranky.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does shortcuts / workflow still work on iOS 11?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Matt Zerella posted:

Faster, password managers integration, just all around better than ios11. Gestures aren't even a big deal and people are just being cranky.

Yeah, the only way to interact with the device (well, when the next version without a home button is released), which you use hundreds of times a day doesn’t matter.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rio posted:

It is overall nicer, small but noticeable smoothness improvements on iPad 2018 and iPhone SE. There are just a few little things like that that are dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What possible reason do you have for not updating?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

wooger posted:

Yeah, the only way to interact with the device (well, when the next version without a home button is released), which you use hundreds of times a day doesn’t matter.

It works fine. I am sorry you are mad about it and maybe 12.1 will fix it so you can enjoy it again.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the info guys - I’ll update and deal with the gesture changes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iOS 12.0.1 released

Moves the ?123 key back to where god intended on the on-screen keyboard.

Sorry no regressing of gestures

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Dear Apple, please release a new iPad Pro. Thank you in advance.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually no don’t until next year so I can budget it through work.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I want them to be required to put a faceID camera in each corner so the screen looks like the paper in the Battlestar Galactica universe.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Proteus Jones posted:

iOS 12.0.1 released

Moves the ?123 key back to where god intended on the on-screen keyboard.

Sorry no regressing of gestures

Ah good.

I was hitting that emoji button literally every time.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, you just hosed it up for everyone. Apple was going to put out new models, you know, like they do EVERY loving YEAR, but they saw your post and felt like you were pressuring them, and they hate that needy poo poo. So, no new iPad Pro this year, and it’s all your fault! I hope you’re proud of yourself!

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple please make procreate add canvas resizing, tia

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deadguy2322 posted:

Well, you just hosed it up for everyone. Apple was going to put out new models, you know, like they do EVERY loving YEAR, but they saw your post and felt like you were pressuring them, and they hate that needy poo poo. So, no new iPad Pro this year, and it�s all your fault! I hope you�re proud of yourself!

:negative:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just need an updated Pencil, dammit. My battery is for poo poo now and I do not want to replace this if the mythical model with an eraser is right around the corner*.

*better charging method too, tia.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just need an updated Pencil, dammit. My battery is for poo poo now and I do not want to replace this if the mythical model with an eraser is right around the corner*.

How much use we talking before you started noticing that the battery went to poo poo?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Also release a new iPad Pro + that is 20".

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duckman2008 posted:

:same: The battery in my mini4 is starting to go and I want a 10.5” pro but the current one is getting a bit long in the tooth to buy now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I passed my Air 2 along thinking I would get an ultrabook but I think I will get another ipad again instead. A 12” pro with the keyboard would be ideal. Good timing, almost!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

How much use we talking before you started noticing that the battery went to poo poo?

I’ve had it two and a half years. A year ago battery life started to noticeably dip. Like if I charge it up and don’t use it then it’s dead within 4 days. I can use it for about 2 or 3 hours before it needs a charge.

That’s not too terrible, especially since it still charges fast. But it’s not going to get any better and it’s about time for an upgrade.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Think the Mini is effectively dead at this point?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

All rumors point to new Pros with FaceID in both landscape and portrait orientations. It’s pretty clear this is happening.

Other rumors I haven’t hunted down but seem likely: Apple Pencil 2, and new Smart Port physical config.

My dream is Pencil 2 has a magnetic barrel and the Smart Port uses induction to charge it. That’s probably a long shot, but I want to charge the drat thing without plugging it into a lightning port.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pants Donkey posted:

Its called the iPhone XS MAXXX

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pants Donkey posted:

God I hope not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

:same: The battery in my mini4 is starting to go and I want a 10.5” pro but the current one is getting a bit long in the tooth to buy now

I’m in the same boat, although my Mini 4 battery is still doing great.

Honestly, I have a Mini 4, which is essentially an iPhone 6S, and an iPhone X, and my Mini def is slower, but it still moves decently well for its age (I got it at launch too).

Pants Donkey posted:

I loved having the Mini format for years, and would strongly consider it if they actually released a newer, equal Mini. But they likely won’t. The Mini is almost def dead, and if they actually release a new one it’ll be slightly watered down version of the regular iPad, def not as good as the Pro.

So portability was nice, but the 10.5 Pro is still super light, so whatever Version of that gets updated I’m game for.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah I’m deffo getting whatever the next iteration of the 10.5 pro is to replace my mini 4. I really liked the mini form factor but now that phones are as big as they are I don’t really feel the need for the ultra portability of it anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Am I the only one who uses the lightning cable adapter to charge the Apple Pencil and never plugs it into the iPad?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Am I the only one who uses the lightning cable adapter to charge the Apple Pencil and never plugs it into the iPad?

It’s way slower for me. And that’s using an Anker PowerLine with their 5 port 60W adapter, which I rarely have more than two devices plugged into.

Well poo poo, I just realized It may be a bad cable, because the other one lightning cable charges my 12.9 Pro fairly fast. It’s just easier to pop it in the port on the iPad and use an Adonit Mini while I wait the 10 or 15 mins for it to get to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I always do, but I also hardly ever use my Pencil, so I probably shouldn't have bought it.