Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

Ooh, these look good. Adding to my list.

Same.

Is this better than The Expanse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

What's the most creative defence or grounds for appeal you've ever heard?

Oh, another good one; kind of dense though so I'll see if I can simplify.

So Husband and Wife divorce in 1999. They have a house, with ~$100k in equity in it, and $100k in debt. Divorce Decree says a buuunch of bullshit, but basically H has 1 calendar year to pay her $50k, whereupon she will give him a deed for her half. The language reads, "Husband shall have The Option to purchase Wife's equity..." and then a 4 paragraph stepping stone of dollar amounts based on other property division.

The last paragraph reads, "If husband does not exercise the option to purchase before Nov. 1, 2001, then he shall pay [Maximum Amount] on Nov. 1, 2001, and Wife shall tender deed."

So did they do any of this? loving of course not.

Fast forward to July, 2017. Ex H calls Ex W and says, "hey how you doin' babe btw here is a check for thta $50k + $25K penalty back 20 years ago send me the deed thx XD!!" Well, by this time, the house is worth a cool $650k now so she says 'uh, let me check with an attorney.'

So the question of law comes down to this: "is the division of property in the decree an Option to purchase that he failed to exercise - now they split it 50/50? OR Is it an immutable division of property, and thus he only has to pay her the $50k to net himself $450?"

We spent 4 hours in trial, at the bench, plus two conference calls with the judge going back and forth over the language in the decree, and I'll be frank, I still don't 100% know the answer. In the end, the judge ruled against us and said, "He has an option to purchase under parts A, B, C and D. However, Part E probably says that if he didn't do A-D, then he HAS to do E, thus not an option." Which was a real kick in the nuts.

Until we mentioned Pre-judgment interest. See, if he wants to enforce the division of property under the decree, then fine - his $75k payment was due on November 1, 2001.

And 20 years of simple interest at the 8.5% of the 1999 divorce decree is like $125,000.00. Plus the $75,000.00 he owed.

She wound up getting about 90% of what she would have gotten if he'd just split it 50/50. And we saw his attorneys fees for the case, which were more than the loving equity he got out of it; literally almost 8 times more than we spent. He loving lost money on the whole deal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Same.

Is this better than The Expanse?

Red Rising is better than the Expanse - I got annoyed with the Expanse by the 4th book, but I'll be goddamned if I'm not going to stick it out when the last one comes out in the spring. I'm too invested.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

Red Rising is better than the Expanse - I got annoyed with the Expanse by the 4th book, but I'll be goddamned if I'm not going to stick it out when the last one comes out in the spring. I'm too invested.

I was done after Book 3, but I love the show. It’s much better on screen.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

I was done after Book 3, but I love the show. It�s much better on screen.

Eh, I'm all caught up on the books. I found them just fine, based on the principle of everything's edible if you have no taste.

First day of moose hunting today, total tally 350 kilos of butcherweight moose. Pretty great first day, I have to say. Kinda wish I was shooting, but the senior guys get to do that and the scrubs like me drive game. All I could think about today is a suit I need to draft. There's no rush other than the rear end in a top hat client blowing up my phone.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

blarzgh posted:

And 20 years of simple interest at the 8.5% of the 1999 divorce decree is like $125,000.00. Plus the $75,000.00 he owed.

I’d say this was the best family law outcome I’ve heard but it may also be the only good family law outcome I’ve heard.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

LeschNyhan posted:

I’d say this was the best family law outcome I’ve heard but it may also be the only good family law outcome I’ve heard.

Its only good if you ignore all the bad stuff I didn't mention :shrug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

We spent 4 hours in trial, at the bench, plus two conference calls with the judge going back and forth over the language in the decree, and I'll be frank, I still don't 100% know the answer. In the end, the judge ruled against us and said, "He has an option to purchase under parts A, B, C and D. However, Part E probably says that if he didn't do A-D, then he HAS to do E, thus not an option." Which was a real kick in the nuts.

i don't see why he's not barred by estoppel or laches here. "i don't care what this says, you sat on this for 20 years so get the gently caress out of my courtroom" seems like an ideal way for a judge to make a headache go away.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I think it's more, she failed to execute on the final judgment and he failed to tender, so he had to satisfy the judgment now with interest.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Its only good if you ignore all the bad stuff I didn't mention :shrug:

Aaand that’s why my optimism was cautious at best. Family law: never again.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
“My conviction was illegal because my lawyer was ineffective. I was accused of kid diddling over a ten year period. I had an alibi! My lawyer failed to present that alibi. That alibi was that for 9 months of that time period (which do not include the only two actual dates the victims remembered) I was incarcerated. For kid diddling. My lawyer should have let the jury know I was a convicted kid diddler.”

In other news... does anyone else get irately angry when people don’t know the difference between declarative and imperative for purposes of hearsay analysis?

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 11, 2018

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ActusRhesus posted:

In other news... does anyone else get irately angry when people don’t know the difference between declarative and imperative for purposes of hearsay analysis?
Hearing those words, I get the distinction and why it matters for hearsay, but I haven't heard those terms used in hearsay analysis.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We had a guy on domestic violence diversion program, which included a provision for 'no drinking alcohol', appear on a local commercial in which he's at a bar drinking a beer and saying how it tastes better than the competitor's beer.

Probation office dings him, he comes in and tells the judge that it was fake beer. She says 'oh so you're lying to the public about how much better X beer tastes?'

and then gives him a slap on the wrist.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

We had a guy on domestic violence diversion program, which included a provision for 'no drinking alcohol', appear on a local commercial in which he's at a bar drinking a beer and saying how it tastes better than the competitor's beer.

Probation office dings him, he comes in and tells the judge that it was fake beer. She says 'oh so you're lying to the public about how much better X beer tastes?'

FAIR

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

i don't see why he's not barred by estoppel or laches here. "i don't care what this says, you sat on this for 20 years so get the gently caress out of my courtroom" seems like an ideal way for a judge to make a headache go away.

At first blush yes, but the house was still owned 50/50 so what, they can never sell it? She never gets her money out of it?

It's what HDD said, so it came down to the question of whether it was an option to divide the property, which one or both parties waived, or if the division occurred in , and per the terms of, the decree and it just took them 20 loving years to get around to it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

gvibes posted:

Hearing those words, I get the distinction and why it matters for hearsay, but I haven't heard those terms used in hearsay analysis.

Yeah. Not using the terms either. Just the concept. Hearsay. Out of court statement for the truth of the matter asserted. “No, Billy! No!” There is no truth being asserted. There’s no need to do a hearsay exception analysis. Judge let it in as excited utterance. So meh. But still. Not. Hearsay.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I love laches. I’ve recently gotten the habeas courts to start recognizing it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Abugadu posted:

We had a guy on probation for drug possession who appeared on a local news "man on the street" segment about a voter initiative that was going to make (among other things) drug possession a misdemeanor rather than a felony. He was in favor of the initiative, then added that marijuana should be legalized, and then went on to say that in fact, he had smoked marijuana that very day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

At first blush yes, but the house was still owned 50/50 so what, they can never sell it? She never gets her money out of it?

It's what HDD said, so it came down to the question of whether it was an option to divide the property, which one or both parties waived, or if the division occurred in , and per the terms of, the decree and it just took them 20 loving years to get around to it.

adverse possession of the entire house, she's lived there twenty years under a belief she held full title to the property, paying all the taxes and such (i assume) :v:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

adverse possession of the entire house, she's lived there twenty years under a belief she held full title to the property, paying all the taxes and such (i assume) :v:

He lived there, not her. Also, you can't adversely possess property unless your possession is "adverse", i.e. in contrast to your rights under color of title - it's not "adverse" if you actually have the legal right to be there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

He lived there, not her. Also, you can't adversely possess property unless your possession is "adverse", i.e. in contrast to your rights under color of title - it's not "adverse" if you actually have the legal right to be there.

oh gotcha, so the issue is basically he stiffed her for twenty years and then realized he'd better get around to paying her so he could sell the house?

also i think that excluding the other joint owner could be adverse possession in certain circumstances, where you changed the locks, denied them their right to be there, acted as if you held sole title to the property, etc. but that's all moot if he was the one living there.

he shoulda made that argument :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Selachian posted:

Pros and the goons in the thread asked me to keep posting the "good" ones here and telling them your responses

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Abugadu posted:

What a doofus.

On an unrelated note, what the hell time do you have to wake up to watch NFL games?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also abugadu people are talking about your civil war letters in the TFF NFL N/V thread.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Haha, that's what clued me too. For whatever reason this thread feels like a completely different forum than the rest of SA so I get a worlds colliding feeling when I see a lawgoon posting elsewhere.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Are you having a stroke

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

Are you having a stroke

No, that's Day by Day.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Tokelau All Star posted:

What a doofus.

On an unrelated note, what the hell time do you have to wake up to watch NFL games?

The early games start around 3AM Monday, we just DVR the GB games and start watching at ~7AM or so, FF'ing through the commercials and strolling into work around 9.

Daylight savings kind of borks things up a bit, though, so that it's tougher to watch the second halves of Tues Morning Football or Fri Morning Football at lunch.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

No, that's Day by Day.

Is the irony of the comic that if someone replies, "that's actually true." then you call them a red pill or whatever, thus becoming a recursive, meta loop?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ok I finished hull zero three.

Halfway through and this book loving rocks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Is the irony of the comic that if someone replies, "that's actually true." then you call them a red pill or whatever, thus becoming a recursive, meta loop?
perfect, they'll like that one.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 12, 2018

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Abugadu posted:

The early games start around 3AM Monday, we just DVR the GB games and start watching at ~7AM or so, FF'ing through the commercials and strolling into work around 9.

Daylight savings kind of borks things up a bit, though, so that it's tougher to watch the second halves of Tues Morning Football or Fri Morning Football at lunch.

Jeez, I thought it sucked having Monday Night Football start at 2:30 while I'm still at work. Watching NFL straight from 7 am to 5:30 pm on Sundays rules though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

perfect, they'll like that one.

Look if it's your comic you can just fess up, no one will judge.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
This 6:00 a.m. flight to Midland Texas is filled with leathernecks and lawyers.

I feel like we should be buying them drinks.

"Hey guys, really good work out there. The combination of oil, meth, and tractor-trailers are keeping Dallas lawyers at full employment".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Midland is like the 4th worst place on Earth.

Edit: "Downtown" looks like a set piece for the Walking Dead.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

blarzgh posted:

Midland is like the 4th worst place on Earth.

Edit: "Downtown" looks like a set piece for the Walking Dead.

It’s the 4th most liveable small city in Texas according to a job posting I just got. The “city” skyline picture was that of a small fountain and one short building.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Does "liveable" mean "fewer meth deaths per user."? Or "best personal injury lawyer service per 18 wheeler accident."?

Or, "Least likely to find your body in the desert."?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Does "liveable" mean "fewer meth deaths per user."? Or "best personal injury lawyer service per 18 wheeler accident."?

Or, "Least likely to find your body in the desert."?

Probably means cheap mortgage

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Midland is the "nice" city where all of the oil executives and white collar workers for the oil fields live while Odessa is the city where all the blue collar and workers live.

Midland is where you live if you want to be a "rancher" but never actually ranch a day in your life. Midland is white as gently caress, as well, if you're scared of minorities.

Midland/Odessa is like a dual city of sorts but is segregated severely by class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I went back and found it. It wasn’t even in Midland :lol:

quote:

Big Spring is a pleasant rural community spread over several miles of gently rolling hills. Known as the crossroads of west Texas, Big Spring affords its residents the life style of a rural community with quick access to larger metropolitan areas. The economy in Big Spring is diverse, with the most evident natural resources being agriculture and oil related industry.

The State of Texas boasts no personal state income tax

Warm, dry climate; yearly mean temperature of 77 degrees

Several fresh water lakes for boating, fishing and swimming

Attractive and immaculately kept state and public parks

Two 18-hole golf courses

Tennis center and youth centers

Active civic and community organizations including its own Symphony

Hiking and camping opportunities abound in the Big Bend area and the Texas Panhandle

The economy is diverse with both oil AND gas production!