Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

sorry i'm drunk. i meant has superman ever learned martial arts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Billzasilver posted:

sorry i'm drunk. i meant has superman ever learned martial arts?

Yes. Like 3 different times. Dude gets depowered so much he figured it'd be nice to know. Also he learned special fight moves to fight other Kryptonians who rely purely on their powers.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

super man god super man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He learned boxing from Muhammed Ali.

Goku seems to be a lot sillier in Super, but then again he kinda reminds me of Rusty Venture in that he has seen so much weird poo poo and has such a weak idea of normalcy that he accepts whatever crazy poo poo is in front of him, deception or otherwise.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The stuff from Goku's childhood alone is so whacked out that you could do one of those trick "which fight did I make up" lists and not make anything up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Include the Silver Age and he can trade stories with Supes.

Vegeta and Wonder Woman would probably hate each other as only rival royalty can.

...oh boy, imagine Bulma meeting Lex Luthor. (actually knowing Lex I bet he'd be jealous)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...oh boy, imagine Bulma meeting Lex Luthor. (actually knowing Lex I bet he'd be jealous)

If he wants his own Vegeta he's gonna have to find Saiyans still alive in some other dimension.

And then bone 'em.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Someone way earlier mentioned that the only way to do a good Superman/Dragonball story is to have Superman go on an adventure with kid Goku and I agree

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

If he wants his own Vegeta he's gonna have to find Saiyans still alive in some other dimension.

And then bone 'em.

He'd make Bizarro Goku, maybe a Gokuboy combining his own DNA into it, which is getting a bit Cell-esque.

But the Saiyan Saga was pretty much a Superman tribute anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Lex Luthor would create his own pocket universe that perfectly mimics U7 so he can be Frieza to a bunch of Saiyans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BizarroAzrael posted:

He'd make Bizarro Goku, maybe a Gokuboy combining his own DNA into it, which is getting a bit Cell-esque.

Wouldn't that mean Gokuboy is basically Gohan? Or Trunks.

And quite possibly a heartfelt conversation between Batman and Mr Satan.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

BizarroAzrael posted:

He should make a Bizarro Vegeta instead.

And bone him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm getting real Brock Samson vibes from Piccolo looking after Pan, and that's before their voices sounding kinda similar.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Checks out, Gohan is Dean and upset about being an alien/clone. Goten/Hank doesn't care and becomes Batman.

Oh my god. Vegeta is The Monarch.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Checks out, Gohan is Dean and upset about being an alien/clone. Goten/Hank doesn't care and becomes Batman.

Oh my god. Vegeta is The Monarch.

Bulma is Doctor Girlfriend?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure if Gohan would be a big Bats fan. He's the kind that seemingly would enjoy lighter-hearted heroes more considering how flashy he is.

I bet he'd be a huge fan of Booster Gold.

Or as long as we're crossing universes, Gohan would be an All-Might fanboy.

Crabtree posted:

Bulma is Doctor Girlfriend?

That's Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, buddy..

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darko posted:

Every vs. forum puts Goku over Silver Age Superman now, because Silvers best feat is sneezing a solar system away *while amped with Mxys sneezing powder* while Goku is beyond universal at this point. The only ones that can now beat him are Thought Robot Superman and some other random one. Thats where we are now with Supers escalation.

So wait are they implying that Goku could blow away an entire universe with a sneeze now? Because the whole point of people bringing up that scene from Silver Age Superman is to point out how ridiculous he is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TrilliontonNixon posted:

So wait are they implying that Goku could blow away an entire universe with a sneeze now? Because the whole point of people bringing up that scene from Silver Age Superman is to point out how ridiculous he is.

Let's put this into perspective. As a Super Saiyan God, the shockwaves generated from Goku's punches colliding with punches of roughly equivalent measure (a heavily-holding back Beerus) could destroy several planets at once, an untold but clearly important distance away.

From there, Goku did not only get stronger himself, but also got several more transformations that increased that power even higher (Blue, Blue Kaio-ken x2, x10, x20, Ultra Instinct -Sign-, Ultra Instinct). With the full UI, Goku's power exceeds that of Beerus, who can destroy planets by sneezing, completely by accident, without even trying, in a series that's always been clear that you're onjly powerful when you focus on being powerful (ignoring filler, obviously).

Goku blowing away the entire universe with a sneeze, under Ultra Instinct, may genuinely be possible. Of course, he'd then short-circuit and go through extreme pain and probably die because Saiyans can't breathe in space (they aren't Batman, who can), but that's unimportant.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So basically Dragon Ball has entered its Silver Age is what you're saying.

Can't wait for Goku cut off the oxygen to Chichi's space suit and leave her to die.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

did we figure out why Ultra Instinct was a power increase and not just a way to use the power he had better

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

did we figure out why Ultra Instinct was a power increase and not just a way to use the power he had better

Do we know that it does? I'm not like an anime theorist or anything, but I've always seen a lot of Dragonball power was like as focusing the beam of a flashlight. You take the same amount of light and spread it out and it seems weaker/dimmer than if you focus it into a small, blindingly bright dot - but the light source isn't any more or less powerful. That's how I reconcile things like Nappa powering up causing earthquakes and lightning storms, all that power was leaking out because he didn't know how to focus it properly. Guru's power-up was unlocking the dormant power Krillin and Gohan had inside akin to giving them a better lens to focus through.. that sort of thing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

UI isn't a power up in the sense that Goku has more power. It's a power up in that no energy is wasted, and since everything is instinctual Goku becomes a martial arts machine who can dodge everything you throw at him and then blast you in the face

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Because it's Dragon Ball and that's how power ups in Dragon Ball work.

If you need more of an explanation (in which case, why? Nothing has ever gotten it) maybe it's just tapping into more pure or more powerful god Ki (angel Ki?) so it comes with an extreme power boost, or the power is released in just the right time thanks to the body needing no commands, I dunno. It doesn't really matter.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

goku became pure martial arts

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Alan_Shore posted:

UI isn't a power up in the sense that Goku has more power. It's a power up in that no energy is wasted, and since everything is instinctual Goku becomes a martial arts machine who can dodge everything you throw at him and then blast you in the face

actually it's just a straight up powerup. Jiren was tanking hits to the face from Blue Kaioken, it wasn't until Ultra Instinct that he was actually taking damage from attacks (the only exception being 17 blowing himself up)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its increasing power by making it move in ways most mortal and even divine beings don't process on. Perfect unthinking attacks and defense, with no fear of pain, of failure, of holding back to hope they come back stronger. Flawless Combat Id whose only limitation is how long the thing doing it can last in this state. With enough stamina for it, you probably could further increase your power because you're going all out with every move.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

actually it's just a straight up powerup. Jiren was tanking hits to the face from Blue Kaioken, it wasn't until Ultra Instinct that he was actually taking damage from attacks (the only exception being 17 blowing himself up)

he was taking damage he's just the toughest son of a bitch in all of dragon ball. He stonewalls harder than nappa or recoome could ever dream of.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Or as long as we're crossing universes, Gohan would be an All-Might fanboy.

Gohan is basically Midoriya.

Put All Might in FighterZ!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Gohan is basically Midoriya.

Gohan isn't that lame

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Andrast posted:

Gohan isn't that lame

1) There is no lower limit on Gohan's lameness.

2) YOUNG MIDORIYA, despite being a lovely nerd who picked his childhood bully's favorite insult as a nickname just because the first girl he'd seriously talked to thought it was cute, is pretty rad.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Remember when 17 interrupted the magical girl transformation sequence? That was thoroughly my jam.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

1) There is no lower limit on Gohan's lameness.

2) YOUNG MIDORIYA, despite being a lovely nerd who picked his childhood bully's favorite insult as a nickname just because the first girl he'd seriously talked to thought it was cute, is pretty rad.

Agreed on all points.

As much as I love Dragonball, MHA has quickly become my favorite anime these days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yes. Like 3 different times. Dude gets depowered so much he figured it'd be nice to know. Also he learned special fight moves to fight other Kryptonians who rely purely on their powers.
There was also some training with Batman, depending on which hosed up timeline DC thinks is valid this hour.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I am extremely here for Ultra Instinct sneezing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Sneezing in UI is impossible. Goku would dodge the particles that make him sneeze.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, I'm confused about the timeline surrounding Bardock's first appearance. Did the episode where Freezer remembers him aired before or after the Special?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The manga appearance was after because Toriyama was inspired by the special.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So the special aired first, and then we got the anime episode with Bardock's cameo, that in turn came from the manga and Toriyama liking the special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can anyone help me track down one of the tunes from the japanese DBZ soundtrack? I can't pin down where it plays, but it's the tune that has the little G, A, B, D, High G, High A, High B progression near the end.