Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We had a full week -- one of our playgroup had unlocked Music Note and *hated it* -- it was way too passive for her and she felt like she wasn't accomplishing anything or doing anything cool -- so we slammed through scenarios 19, 68, 61, and 62 so that she could unlock her next class in sequence.

#62 was probably the roughest scenario we've faced yet. Those goddam skeletons just did not stop coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I'm sorry, but disliking Music Note is objectively wrong
I mean disarming or stunning multiple enemies every turn while boosting everyone else is good enough for me. However if you've got enough perks she's actually a super strong attacker. Fully non-rolling perked she has no negatives and her lowest damage comes with stun or disarm. Most of the time you're hitting +2s or better with status effects. Thrown in some items and sing people to death

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean disarming or stunning multiple enemies every turn while boosting everyone else is good enough for me. However if you've got enough perks she's actually a super strong attacker. Fully non-rolling perked she has no negatives and her lowest damage comes with stun or disarm. Most of the time you're hitting +2s or better with status effects. Thrown in some items and sing people to death

Oh I agree with you but the person playing it didn't unfortunately. =( I think it's partly because we're still relatively low prosperity level so some of those item options weren't there.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We had a full week -- one of our playgroup had unlocked Music Note and *hated it* -- it was way too passive for her and she felt like she wasn't accomplishing anything or doing anything cool -- so we slammed through scenarios 19, 68, 61, and 62 so that she could unlock her next class in sequence.

#62 was probably the roughest scenario we've faced yet. Those goddam skeletons just did not stop coming.

62 and Saw spoilers: When we saw how small the map was, my Saw brought two loss cards and our Brute had a permanent +2 shield. He ended up tanking six skeletons, who were doing damage equal to their modifier draw to him after all the shield was subtracted. Stack enough shield and it can be very good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Narsham posted:

62 and Saw spoilers: When we saw how small the map was, my Saw brought two loss cards and our Brute had a permanent +2 shield. He ended up tanking six skeletons, who were doing damage equal to their modifier draw to him after all the shield was subtracted. Stack enough shield and it can be very good.

Yeah, I'm playing Sun class with a tank build and +2 permanent shield from an enhancement, and at one point I was entirely surrounded by skeletons and tanking them all. It was still just . . . grueling. Psychologically difficult. I think part of the issue is that we were playing a support-heavy party -- plague herald, soothsinger, quartermaster, sunseeker -- and so while they couldn't really do much to *us* due to the curses+disadvantage song combo, we had a really hard time removing *them*, and by the end, playing it as the second scenario of the night, we were almost entirely exhausted (not just the characters, but the players too!)

We thought we had time for another short one!

edit: spoilers for sun, cthulhu, three spears, music note, scenario #62

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 16, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thespaceinvader posted:

That [48] was another one of those ones where, as Angry Face I was seriously considering just rest-scumming Camouflage until he died, he was super difficult to pin down otherwise. I was so annoyed with that, I tagged him with the 'allies do +1' doom, then NOBODY BUT ME loving ATTACKED HIM. Ugh.

We'd attempted it previously and failed but we learnt the valuable lesson to get the gently caress out of the centre. First turn I ended up using Camo to block his path and force him to stay on the board another round. It really is an amazing ability.

We had 3 cards discarded at the start so I stam-potted back 5 cards after my first turn and didn't even have to rest before we won.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think it's OK to dislike the class, but saying it's passive and doesn't accomplish anything would make me doubt a person's mental facilities. I'm retiring mine this week and the whole team is a bit bummed because the game will actually start meaningfully fighting back again.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
That is a fair point, we ran Music Note + Circles and it was completely unfair. It was like having a 4 person party with the 2p number of monsters. +1 attack for 4 different summons and disables to keep them alive trivialized just about every scenario.

I guess we could always turn up the difficulty but I could never get a positive vote on that. My wife and kid play for fun, not as much for those skin of your teeth challenging wins.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That is a fair point, we ran Music Note + Circles and it was completely unfair. It was like having a 4 person party with the 2p number of monsters. +1 attack for 4 different summons and disables to keep them alive trivialized just about every scenario.

I guess we could always turn up the difficulty but I could never get a positive vote on that. My wife and kid play for fun, not as much for those skin of your teeth challenging wins.

Music Note: We've been playing at difficulty 6 without issue. I think we're going to try 7 this week, just to enjoy the rewards of this completely ridiculous class before she goes away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I ride bikes all day posted:

I think it's OK to dislike the class, but saying it's passive and doesn't accomplish anything would make me doubt a person's mental facilities. I'm retiring mine this week and the whole team is a bit bummed because the game will actually start meaningfully fighting back again.

What really seemed to get her goat re: music note was that the songs effect all "allies" but under the rules you are not an ally to yourself, so the songs did not buff her own character specifically, so she felt relatively ineffective compared to the rest of the group who were all getting these awesome buffs. I even made sure we all thanked her repeatedly every time but it didn't really help. Regardless, she's moved on to Eclipse now and I expect will be happier.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 15, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

What really seemed to get her goat was that the songs effect all "allies" but under the rules you are not an ally to yourself, so the songs did not buff her own character specifically, so she felt relatively ineffective compared to the rest of the group who were all getting these awesome buffs. I even made sure we all thanked her repeatedly every time but it didn't really help. Regardless, she's moved on to Eclipse now and I expect will be happier.

Music Note: Yeah, we run into that multiple times a session. There's a song up and we keep forgetting that none of them affect the singer itself, with the notable exception of the one that puts disadvantage on all enemies. That one is fantastic.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

What really seemed to get her goat was that the songs effect all "allies" but under the rules you are not an ally to yourself, so the songs did not buff her own character specifically, so she felt relatively ineffective compared to the rest of the group who were all getting these awesome buffs. I even made sure we all thanked her repeatedly every time but it didn't really help. Regardless, she's moved on to Eclipse now and I expect will be happier.

I get it now. She thought the class was about buffing your allies. Level 1 cards can kind of give that impression, but it's really the weakest part of the class. Which is funny, because it's still very strong.

Regardless, you should be excited - this means you can pick it up the next time you retire.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I ride bikes all day posted:

Regardless, you should be excited - this means you can pick it up the next time you retire.

I've kindof fallen into the role of the group tank -- I started with Brute then went to Sun. I kinda want to try spellweaver at some point but I'll probably wait till someone else makes a tanky character to fill the role (one of us is working on unlocking two minis so that may do it).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

I've kindof fallen into the role of the group tank -- I started with Brute then went to Sun. I kinda want to try spellweaver at some point but I'll probably wait till someone else makes a tanky character to fill the role (one of us is working on unlocking two minis so that may do it).

Expand your mind to what tanking is and realize that giving all enemies disadvantage is tanking, especially when you start to add curses to the monster deck.

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Shielding damage is the worst way to tank. Preventing attacks is the best, with dead being the best status effect!

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Piell posted:

Expand your mind to what tanking is and realize that giving all enemies disadvantage is tanking, especially when you start to add curses to the monster deck.

Music Note cards after Level 1: You literally get an AOE stun, an AOE Curse/Bless (this is the correct way to use this card :colbert:), and then you eventually cap it off with a Target 3 stun. It's just so stupid as you reach later levels. I'm adding the extra hex to the AOE stun before I retire. My team has a class that CAN tank, but there's utterly no point in it. No one has lost a card to damage in weeks, and we're playing at +2, then +3 difficulty.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really wish my group could get together to play this more. We've only played 4 times in 6 weeks and every time we play we figure out new tips and tricks..

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I'm playing Sun class with a tank build and +2 permanent shield from an enhancement, and at one point I was entirely surrounded by skeletons and tanking them all. It was still just . . . grueling. Psychologically difficult. I think part of the issue is that we were playing a support-heavy party -- plague herald, soothsinger, quartermaster, sunseeker -- and so while they couldn't really do much to *us* due to the curses+disadvantage song combo, we had a really hard time removing *them*, and by the end, playing it as the second scenario of the night, we were almost entirely exhausted (not just the characters, but the players too!)

We thought we had time for another short one!

This spoils a lot more than Sun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can't find a consistent answer - in scenario 2, do the skeletons that are summoned by the boss count as "revealed" for the purposes of the mission objective? They were certainly not revealed the way other monsters explicitly were by someone opening a door.

My group won if they don't need to be killed, but lost if they do. We probably will move forward just for the sake of seeing more stuff but I'm curious what the intent was.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 17, 2018

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can't find a consistent answer - in scenario 2, do the skeletons that are summoned by the boss count as "revealed" for the purposes of the mission objective? They were certainly not revealed the way other monsters explicitly were by someone opening a door.

My group won if they don't need to be killed, but lost if they do. We probably will move forward just for the sake of seeing more stuff but I'm curious what the intent was.

Yup. Any monster on the board not behind a closed door is revealed.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

They need to be killed. Make sure you don't have them take an action on the turn they are summoned, though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Reik posted:

They need to be killed. Make sure you don't have them take an action on the turn they are summoned, though.
We definitely made this mistake too and discovered it when we finished and reviewed all the rules. We each lost at least one card off of "skeleton spawns and immediately makes a move and thus hits me multiple times" and that makes me tempted to just move forward.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
That "all attacks are against the same target" card in the skeleton AI deck is probably responsible for more exhaustions in my playgroup than anything else in the game so far.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also, summoned monsters don't drop any loot when you kill them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Also, summoned monsters don't drop any loot when you kill them.
Yeah we did this part right! The difference between monster and player summons is pretty confusing and I wish they had used two different terms for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That "all attacks are against the same target" card in the skeleton AI deck is probably responsible for more exhaustions in my playgroup than anything else in the game so far.

Yeah it's basically a six armed monstrosity deciding "hmm instead of swinging at everything nearby, I'mma just going to converge every sword right at you".

Good poo poo.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

We definitely made this mistake too and discovered it when we finished and reviewed all the rules. We each lost at least one card off of "skeleton spawns and immediately makes a move and thus hits me multiple times" and that makes me tempted to just move forward.

We did that in our first attempt on scenario 2 as well. You should replay it if you're on the fence. We went in a second time with a better understanding of the rules and a better strategy for the boss and it was very satisfying to just wipe the floor with it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

We were doing scenario 13 and our brute got hit by the Spitting Drake poison attack on the same round the 2 cave bears drew the -1 attack/move/-1 attack wound card. They went from full health to losing 4 cards pretty quick

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Reik posted:

We were doing scenario 13 and our brute got hit by the Spitting Drake poison attack on the same round the 2 cave bears drew the -1 attack/move/-1 attack wound card. They went from full health to losing 4 cards pretty quick

Hahah, christ, we're doing that one next!

Don't get me started on goddam bears

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hahah, christ, we're doing that one next!

Don't get me started on goddam bears

I can't wait until we get more execute cards in our group.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Scenario 13 is brutal and I hate it and I'm glad my group barely beat it on the first try.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
We just did scenario 13 on hard difficulty with Tinkerer, Scoundrel, Eclipse and Cthulhu which was a pretty powerful group and handled it without too much difficulty. Having those executes and going invisible helped a ton of course. Not too mention our Plagueherald kept the monster deck full of curses.

I’m loving Eclipse so far, very different from cragheart and triforce. Just hit level 6 and it’s time to really get busy. :dance:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Eclipse and Cthulu was one of my favorite synergies. 10 curses in the deck by turn 2 and extra elements for nightstalker to do EVERYTHING. I basically played plagueherald as a cursebot who just set up nightstalker for super turns.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yeah we did this part right! The difference between monster and player summons is pretty confusing and I wish they had used two different terms for it.

I think summoned monsters are functionally identical to spawned monsters, so we've taken to just calling monster summons spawns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think summoned monsters are functionally identical to spawned monsters, so we've taken to just calling monster summons spawns.

Summoned monsters never act on the turn they were summoned.
Spawned monsters will act on the turn they spawned, unless they were spawned at the end of the round.

Summoned monsters have to be placed on an empty (not unoccupied, empty) hex adjacent to the summoner and closest to an enemy. If there is no empty suitable hex then the summon will fail.
Spawned monsters do not have the adjacency requirement, and so can be placed further from the spawn point.

But after that they are the same!

This is one of the sections that really should have been streamlined.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Ahaha our two-minis has the personal quest 510 and he's screwed we're up to the third mission and it turns out he has to personally do a stack of damage to win, and is built for pure summon damage.

We might houserule this but I kind of want to see him fail at it once.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We decided to do Scenario 10 last night - we hoped it'd help get our Spellweaver closer to retirement - and furthermore decided to go at +1 Difficulty since we'd steamrolled the past few dungeons. It was pretty rough! The "discard two cards" from the Road Event really didn't help. But we won. It was close, but we won - and I'd much rather have a close win than an easy win or a loss. Trip report...

So my Cragheart was murder on those Flame Demons, with me tossing Rock Slides on repeat; holy cow that's a great card against high-shield enemies. It was the first time I think we'd really seen Sun Demons to any extent, and those things are just awful - high damage, advantage, decent HP, occasional healing... The Earth Demons were the easiest part, although the Elites (with immobilizing attacks) were a pain.

Now we need to decide if we want to kill not-Satan or help him. We are leaning towards "kill" so the Brute can get his boss fights in.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

We decided to do Scenario 10 last night - we hoped it'd help get our Spellweaver closer to retirement - and furthermore decided to go at +1 Difficulty since we'd steamrolled the past few dungeons. It was pretty rough! The "discard two cards" from the Road Event really didn't help. But we won. It was close, but we won - and I'd much rather have a close win than an easy win or a loss. Trip report...

So my Cragheart was murder on those Flame Demons, with me tossing Rock Slides on repeat; holy cow that's a great card against high-shield enemies. It was the first time I think we'd really seen Sun Demons to any extent, and those things are just awful - high damage, advantage, decent HP, occasional healing... The Earth Demons were the easiest part, although the Elites (with immobilizing attacks) were a pain.

Now we need to decide if we want to kill not-Satan or help him. We are leaning towards "kill" so the Brute can get his boss fights in.

There are like 5 scenarios that only open up from that choice, but (reward spoilers) they absolutely tank your reputation and prosperity, but shower you in gold.

Don't forget that no matter what you choose you can always do locked scenarios in casual mode for the completion, i.e. boss fights.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SynthesisAlpha posted:

There are like 5 scenarios that only open up from that choice, but (reward spoilers) they absolutely tank your reputation and prosperity, but shower you in gold.

Don't forget that no matter what you choose you can always do locked scenarios in casual mode for the completion, i.e. boss fights.
Really? Killing not-satan hurts prosperity and reputation? That seems backwards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Hey man I just said that certain choices have certain effects. I didn't mean to imply which choices do anything, just thought it should be a fair warning because the impact of one of those paths I'd pretty heavy.

But yes opening a chain of scenarios from that point (10) requires being BFFs with demon guy. Obviously this is the choice that hits you with some negatives but has positive rewards as well. You can also do his favor and then decide nah not giving you the thing.

You can actually go back and do 21 any time you want to counteract some of the choices and reopen certain paths. In other words it's totally okay to ally with the guy, do all his quests, then kill him and take his stuff