Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My dads saw and kind of where I started was on a craftsman from (I think) the late 70s-early 80s

And that thing is a huge piece of poo poo

My dad has been working with it for 40 years so he knows all the quirks and all the dumb poo poo and he’s able to get it set up just right for quality work every time, but When I was shopping for a saw of my own, I fuckin steered clear of that.

Ended up with a dewalt contractor saw that I’m mostly happy with. Once I have a house I can build a real table around it and then I’ll probably actually enjoy using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Meanwhile, I bought a used Delta 36-451 and have been very happy with it. I think there's a sweet spot of not too super-old with no safety features, vs. buying brand new. Get yourself something under 30 years old, with features like a riving knife or splitter, start/stop button easily accessible to the operator, etc. and you'll be saving a lot of money over a brand new saw without sacrificing a lot.

Or, buy a sawstop, of course. But that has to actually be in your budget - it sure isn't in mine.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Leperflesh posted:

Meanwhile, I bought a used Delta 36-451 and have been very happy with it. I think there's a sweet spot of not too super-old with no safety features, vs. buying brand new. Get yourself something under 30 years old, with features like a riving knife or splitter, start/stop button easily accessible to the operator, etc. and you'll be saving a lot of money over a brand new saw without sacrificing a lot.

Or, buy a sawstop, of course. But that has to actually be in your budget - it sure isn't in mine.

I personally don't really like Sawstops, I am afraid of tripping the safety cutting a material that might be a bit too wet or have a staple in it. If I disengage the safety feature before cuts then there is no point in having it.

Fear and respect are my safety on a table saw :colbert: Scarier the saw the more fear and respect I have so the safer I am...:downs:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm so scared and respectful of my tablesaw that I don't even own one. :v:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

So my shop is basically done at this point. I'll put some trim on the windows on doors as some point. I also have epoxy for the floor so it isn't just bare.

Now I have to build a workbench. The question is, what type of wood will be best? Paul Sellers just uses fir I believe. I guess doug fir from http://www.crosscutseattle.com/ would be a good choice?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm so scared and respectful of my tablesaw that I don't even own one. :v:

Do you work with plywood much? If so what tools do you usually use on it? Interested in seeing what tool combos people use with different shop setups.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Do you work with plywood much? If so what tools do you usually use on it? Interested in seeing what tool combos people use with different shop setups.

I don't use plywood much, no. For large sheets I use my circular saw (with guides clamped to the sheet), for small stuff my bandsaw, and for really small, detailed stuff my scroll saw.

I can't imagine trying to send a large plywood sheet through a table saw without an appropriate sled and infeed/outfeed support, which would take up a huge amount of space if you want to handle 4'x8' sheets. If you need to do that kind of thing regularly, then you might just want to set up a panel saw like hardware stores have.

The way I see it, tablesaws mostly do cross and rip cuts. I can do cross cuts with my miter saw, and rip cuts with the bandsaw (though I may need to clean up the edges with a hand plane). Table saws can also do dados, which I can kind of simulate using my router table, but not as well as I'd like. I'm not aware of any other major uses for table saws that I'm missing out on and can't replicate somehow (if maybe not as well) with some other tool that isn't as dangerous.

In particular, mitered rip cuts on the bandsaw are pretty tricky, because the table tilts instead of the blade, so you have to hold the workpiece firmly against the fence, fighting gravity, for the duration of the cut. Pretty much the only time I need mitered rip cuts is when making French cleats though, and those don't need to be perfect.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

DevNull posted:

Now I have to build a workbench. The question is, what type of wood will be best? Paul Sellers just uses fir I believe. I guess doug fir from http://www.crosscutseattle.com/ would be a good choice?

Nice shop! There's as many opinions on this as there is on tablesaw safety. Chris Schwarz spends a chapter on this in his Workbenches book which basically boils down to "whatever is easy to get and easy to work with using the tools you have." I took that advice. I chose 8/4 white pine milled up from a beam by a local lumber mill. It's got a fair number of dings in it from chisels and saws and stuff, but it's fine. Also my bench is modular, so replacing the top is relatively easy. Others will advocate for harder woods so it'll be heavier and wear less. I think there's something to be said for a dark benchtop to make seeing your work easier with the contrast.

All this is to say yes, I think douglas fir would be a fine choice. Also if that lumber yard actually regularly stocks 12 and 16/4 material, I'm super jealous.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DevNull posted:

So my shop is basically done at this point. I'll put some trim on the windows on doors as some point. I also have epoxy for the floor so it isn't just bare.

Handsome shop.

For a benchtop, doug-fir should be fine. Not as dense or hard as yellow pine or ash or beech or oak, but plenty stiff and hard enough to make a good bench, though not one of my favorite woods to work by hand. My bench top is ash and it's great-nice and easy to work by hand when I plane it down flat. The underneath parts are yellow pine, but both ash and SYP grow here and are cheap and that's mostly why I went with them. In the NW that's probably not the case, so just go with whatever's cheapest (probably douglas fir). Poplar or alder or Western Red Cedar are probably a little soft, but about anything else should be fine.

Christopher Schwarz' Workbench book is complete overkill but if you're going to the effort of making a nice bench, it is well worth reading. He's really thought about it all, and I don't think there's any more perfect workbench than a Roubo bench with face and tail vises and a million dog holes. I'm going to start building a Nicholson style one before too long, and I imagine it is equally as excellent.

That Works posted:

For building cabinets/stuff out of plywood, a tablesaw will do everything better and faster than a circular saw, but it needs alot of space- 8-10' of infeed and outfeed, 4' to the right of the saw and 6-8' to the left of the saw. If space is no issue, it's absolutely the way to go. If space is tight, you can rip and crosscut plywood fairly accurately, but much more slowly, with a circ. saw and homemade guide. With a crosscut sled and miter gauge, a table saw is also a very efficient and accurate machine for crosscuts and miters on smaller pieces. A table saw also is great and quick for making alot of different joints-cutting tenons, rabbets, box joints, lap joints etc. If you want to rip lumber on a table saw, you absolutely need one that is modern enough to have a riving knife. Sticking your fingers in the blade is obviously bad, but kickback from a pinched rip can be very nasty. A bandsaw is a much safer way to rip lumber, but it does leave a rough edge.

A router with a fence can make all the joints a table saw can cut and make moldings etc. too. Routers are rarely the most efficient way to do anything, but they're incredibly versatile tools that can do about anything.

For general construction/framing or a bunch of trim work with long pieces, a miter saw will save you a ton of time. For framing a circular saw and speed square will work but be slower. If you want to build furniture, I don't think you really need a chop saw. A circular saw or hand saw to rough cut stuff to length, and then crosscut sled/miter gauge on the table saw can get it done.

You have to bring the work to stationary tools like the table saw or chop saw and support it through the cut which can be hard (and dangerous) when working alone. Table saws take a bunch of jigs to do everything they are capable of safely. If you've got an engineery brain and that sounds fun, great-if you just want to cut some stuff and get on with it, you might not like that side of things. Portable tools go to the work (which can just be sitting on the ground) and are usually a little easier to manage solo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One of the nice side-effects of having my table saw is the perfectly flat (cast iron) surfaces. It's by far the flattest surface in my garage, and I can put a piece of wood on it and instantly eyeball whether it's flat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DevNull posted:

Depending on how much time a day you intend to spend in there, I'd consider some sort of product on top of the slab for your knees and back. Even if it's ext. grade 3/4" plywood, it's better than standing on a goddamned concrete slab for 8 hours. Just my imho from years of experience.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't find it on my phone, but Schwartz wrote somewhere the best wood for a bench is whatever they make joists from in your area.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Huxley posted:

I can't find it on my phone, but Schwartz wrote somewhere the best wood for a bench is whatever they make joists from in your area.

Well I'll give it a go :v:

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

JEEVES420 posted:

I personally don't really like Sawstops, I am afraid of tripping the safety cutting a material that might be a bit too wet or have a staple in it. If I disengage the safety feature before cuts then there is no point in having it.

Fear and respect are my safety on a table saw :colbert: Scarier the saw the more fear and respect I have so the safer I am...:downs:

It was a bit of a no-brainer for me. I wanted a really nice cabinet saw, and a trip to the ER here for a few stitches much less re-attaching a digit would hit my medical insurance's max out of pocket, which is about the costs of 4 sawstop pcs's.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I kinda tested some shou sugi ban about a month ago and I got some wire brushes recently and scrubbed it well. How
Much should I scrub? I feel like I can scrub endlessly and I can make debris/dust come off... is there a stopping point? (When I can hold it and not soot my hands, maybe?)

I plan on giving it a light finish. Nothing like shellac or poly.
Maybe a waxing or oil/waxing.
Would a decent scrub + sanding to smooth + a light finish make it so it didn’t dirty up anything it touched?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feenix posted:

I kinda tested some shou sugi ban about a month ago and I got some wire brushes recently and scrubbed it well. How
Much should I scrub? I feel like I can scrub endlessly and I can make debris/dust come off... is there a stopping point? (When I can hold it and not soot my hands, maybe?)

I plan on giving it a light finish. Nothing like shellac or poly.
Maybe a waxing or oil/waxing.
Would a decent scrub + sanding to smooth + a light finish make it so it didn’t dirty up anything it touched?

I stopped when I couldn't rub any char off with my hand and a cloth. It seems traditional for you to use oil to finish as well, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be waxed too. I used tung oil and it turned out great.

I sanded prior to the charring and not after the wire brushes because I didn't want to change how the char looked on the grain. Whatever you do, make sure it's drat clean and the char doesn't mix with whatever finish you use. I can imagine that if you don't, it won't finish nicely.

That was successful for me in the finishing area, and the bench is used in the bathroom so my 4y son can reach the switch and have something to put clothes on and use to change. It's used daily and has some great definition to the grain.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Any of you guys know where I could get a cheap swiveling angle plate in steel, those things that are at the heart of a miter gauge is what I am talking about. I'd like that just part so I don't have to order a whole new miter gauge and cannibalize it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So I just found a really strange thing and maybe shouldn't question it.

While trolling around Craigslist to look for random used tools / lumber, I came across a guy selling a Dewalt 735 planer for $360 new in box. I reached out, thinking that this might be a sketchy stolen property type of situation or just an outright scam. I got a text from a local number right away and got an address to meet them at. A quick google revealed the address to be in a very fancy neighborhood near my work so I figured I'd take a chance.

I rolled up to a pretty nice McMansion and the seller opened up his garage when I got there. The entire garage was filled wall to wall with new in box Makita and Dewalt power tools of nearly every type I could think of. I noticed he had a pretty robust security system installed as well, looks like he was using his garage as a tool reselling storefront and said most of his stock was listed on facebook marketplace as well (which I don't use).

I didn't ask how, and he didn't offer as to how he had all these, but he did mention that he had sold multiple planers so far and would have more tools "in stock" later on once I expressed interest in buying more things later. He had a DW780 miter saw for like $375 etc that are on my list of things to buy at some point for example.

So like, awesome, I got a new planer for cheap. But, I'm wondering if I just walked into someones cargo hijacking ring or something. Weird stuff.

tl;dr I found a craigslist goldmine but maybe helped out an organized crime operation?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

That Works posted:

While trolling around Craigslist to look for random used tools / lumber, I came across a guy selling a Dewalt 735 planer for $360 new in box. I reached out, thinking that this might be a sketchy stolen property type of situation or just an outright scam. I got a text from a local number right away and got an address to meet them at. A quick google revealed the address to be in a very fancy neighborhood near my work so I figured I'd take a chance.

I rolled up to a pretty nice McMansion and the seller opened up his garage when I got there. The entire garage was filled wall to wall with new in box Makita and Dewalt power tools of nearly every type I could think of. I noticed he had a pretty robust security system installed as well, looks like he was using his garage as a tool reselling storefront and said most of his stock was listed on facebook marketplace as well (which I don't use).

I didn't ask how, and he didn't offer as to how he had all these, but he did mention that he had sold multiple planers so far and would have more tools "in stock" later on once I expressed interest in buying more things later. He had a DW780 miter saw for like $375 etc that are on my list of things to buy at some point for example.

So like, awesome, I got a new planer for cheap. But, I'm wondering if I just walked into someones cargo hijacking ring or something. Weird stuff.

tl;dr I found a craigslist goldmine but maybe helped out an organized crime operation?

Tell him you have a friend needing one of those too! Definitely some sort of money laundering or something. Hope it's not a high quality fake? Do those exist for power tools?

I got burned when I was a teenager with the speakers sold from a van scam by a dude in a best buy outfit so I'm wary of the too good to be true deals

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

My mom's brother's boyfriend's son bought a shady cheap planer it was legit except the cutter head had been replaced by a cylinder of human thumbs!!!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ColdPie posted:

My mom's brother's boyfriend's son bought a shady cheap planer it was legit except the cutter head had been replaced by a cylinder of human thumbs!!!

I'd love a helical head that just slowly grew the cutters back.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That Works posted:

He maybe does a crushed box thing, which is legit. Goes around to the various retailers and buys tools that the boxes have been damaged in transit, saves quite a bit, passes it on.

Or he could be a Soprano.

edit

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Tell him you have a friend needing one of those too! Definitely some sort of money laundering or something. Hope it's not a high quality fake? Do those exist for power tools?

I got burned when I was a teenager with the speakers sold from a van scam by a dude in a best buy outfit so I'm wary of the too good to be true deals

Lol, the classic white van burn. These are Power Terrific Towers!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

He maybe does a crushed box thing, which is legit. Goes around to the various retailers and buys tools that the boxes have been damaged in transit, saves quite a bit, passes it on.

Or he could be a Soprano.

edit

Lol, the classic white van burn. These are Power Terrific Towers!

Huh, yeah the crushed box thing makes sense. I'm reasonably certain that's what it is. The box mine came in was taped shut, does not look like a re-tape, but the outside is scuffed, corners crumpled and the styrofoam tray up top that holds some parts was definitely broken a bit. We cut the box open, took out the planer, which was still in a sealed plastic bag, and plugged it in and turned it on, etc.

Many of the other boxes he had were obviously unopened, but not pristine. Saw a lot of torn or crumpled corners etc.

If these are fakes it's a pretty impressive amount of effort right down to the box, manual etc.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That Works posted:

Are you in Philly? I dealt with a dude with pretty much that exact MO for a couple things, though I wasn't spending Dewalt money

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Probably has a position somewhere he can buy at cost in actual quantity without a problem. Kinda like your friend in highschool that could use his employee discount to get you 10 percent off shoes, but was only supposed to do it for his own purchases. The place he works at does enough quantity that dewalt doesn't notice, and he's in a high enough position that he's the one that's supposed to make sure people aren't doing that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bobua posted:

Probably has a position somewhere he can buy at cost in actual quantity without a problem. Kinda like your friend in highschool that could use his employee discount to get you 10 percent off shoes, but was only supposed to do it for his own purchases. The place he works at does enough quantity that dewalt doesn't notice, and he's in a high enough position that he's the one that's supposed to make sure people aren't doing that.

Yea I got fired for doing this at a retail job when I was a teenager. eBaying the stuff I bought.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There was a guy down my street years ago who had some kind of hustle going. You can buy odd lots of like... oops we dropped this shipping container at the port, so we wrote off the contents and the insurance company then sold the inventory on the secondary market at super discount prices, kind of thing. It happens all the time. The guy would have random stacks of stuff he'd bought in bulk from distributors and stuff, often damaged boxes but sometimes mostly undamaged stuff too.

I'm sure there's stolen items in the mix out there too, but this guy was not doing stolen stuff. He also bought storage containers at auction (and had a lengthy spiel about shows like Storage Wars and how the prices those guys say on the show for all the stuff in their lockers is utter bullshit, and the producers salt their lockers with bonus items, etc. etc.) and sometimes he'd get things that way too. Like, some business with overstock will cram a few thousand units in a storage container, and then not give enough of a gently caress about them to bother paying for the unit any more, kind of thing. IIRC he had a pile of like hundreds of a particular not popular star wars action figure from one of the prequels, every single one of them with a red discount price tag sticker on them? And a bunch of very specific toner cartridges for office-sized photocopiers. That kind of thing. Mostly he hawked everything on eBay, but he had a garage sale once a year and that's when I chatted with him. He told me last time I saw him he was sick of it and was going to get out of it, his garage was crammed with unsellable items. That house sold a few months later, no idea what he did with all the stuff in it.

I wouldn't worry about it. The one thing is that you probably have no manufacturer warranty, when goods are sold as damaged package items like that the manufacturer has written them off and you won't be able to make claims. If you're comfortable with that it's a fine way to get a tool on the cheap.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
iirc this thing with the tools is fine until little paulie keeps stealing them from your guy and gets thrown out a window

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sockser posted:

Are you in Philly? I dealt with a dude with pretty much that exact MO for a couple things, though I wasn't spending Dewalt money

Nah, over in Rhode Island.

Leperflesh posted:

The one thing is that you probably have no manufacturer warranty

Oh... well, that might not be a good thing. Any way to find out the status of this? I guess try to register it with DeWalt and see what happens or something? For cheaper stuff I don't mind, but for this planer and potentially other stuff like a big miter saw etc, I'd be uncomfortable with no warranty on a couple major tools in the shop.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That Works posted:

Oh... well, that might not be a good thing. Any way to find out the status of this? I guess try to register it with DeWalt and see what happens or something? For cheaper stuff I don't mind, but for this planer and potentially other stuff like a big miter saw etc, I'd be uncomfortable with no warranty on a couple major tools in the shop.

Yup try to register it, although that's still not a guarantee that a warranty will be honored. Often companies want a store receipt when you make a claim, to establish date of purchase and defer to any store warranty etc. so that's the issue, you treat it like buying something used basically. But it's worth giving it a try I guess!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I don't think you can reasonably expect to get a warranty on something bought from some guys garage lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I don't think you can reasonably expect to get a warranty on something bought from some guys garage lol

Eh I've had enough more expensive things where the manufacturers warranty was good and did not depend on origin or number of owners of the item etc. Like yeah I am not gonna be mad if they don't honor it in this case, but it might be a factor in future purchases from this source depending on how steep the discount etc.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tbqh I wish I had a local dealer specializing in things that fell off a truck, and you all do too

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

That Works posted:

What part? I grew up in North Kingstown.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ah this dude was in Saunderstown. I work in Kingston and live in Warwick right now but moving to our new house in Richmond soon. Finally will have a big basement shop.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

ColdPie posted:

Also if that lumber yard actually regularly stocks 12 and 16/4 material, I'm super jealous.

They do indeed stock it. The place has a ton of great wood.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I'm going crazy, who posted the chair or table legs within the last couple months with the twist cut into them about half way down. I want to show it to my friend as an idea for one they are building and I can't find it :( Ring any bells?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm going crazy, who posted the chair or table legs within the last couple months with the twist cut into them about half way down. I want to show it to my friend as an idea for one they are building and I can't find it :( Ring any bells?

I remember the exact piece too because we talked about using rasps to cut the legs and the person replied. It was a really nice piece. Might check my post history itt to find it maybe?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I don't remember his username here, but this is his Instagram
https://instagram.com/mike_snodgrass_?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=10vma8aeeu5e4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

That Works posted:

I remember the exact piece too because we talked about using rasps to cut the legs and the person replied. It was a really nice piece. Might check my post history itt to find it maybe?

yall are the best thank you. drat I love those legs