Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

spandexcajun posted:

If modern is not so much a requirement Journey to the end of the night - Céline is about as bleak as a book gets and it's awesome.

Also seconding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Celine bleak? I thought it was a hilarious, if somewhat grotesque, romp through the early 20th century. Is something wrong with me?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You're trying too hard?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Celine is very funny

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for some books on anarchism for someone who doesn't know a whole lot about it but is interested in the subject. Any good essential readings or places to start?

murray bookchin

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Can someone recommend me some good downers? I'm looking for something bleak and lonely, preferably in an everyday modern setting.

Frederick Exley's A Fan's Notes, which is all about alcoholism, depression, failure, and trying to escape your lovely life through sports fandom.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

Celine is very funny

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My brother is a fan of historical fiction, like some real events and people but fleshed out into a novel type idea. I recall there being a good book on Alexander but I can't seem to remember who it was by.

edit: didn't realize there was another thread for this. If anyone has historical fiction recommendations I would also like those

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 13, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My brother is a fan of historical fiction, like some real events and people but fleshed out into a novel type idea. I recall there being a good book on Alexander but I can't seem to remember who it was by.

edit: didn't realize there was another thread for this. If anyone has historical fiction recommendations I would also like those

Fire From Heaven and The Persian Boy by Mary Renault.

Edit: anything by Mary Renault, actually. Also I, Claudius. For 18th century, the Sharpe series or the Aubrey - Maturing series.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Virtues of War is really good too. Pressfield goes into pretty good detail on unit tactics and the psychology of the soldiers.

Agincourt by Cornwell is also pretty good historical fiction .

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I really liked Pressfield’s Thermopylae book too, Gates of Fire.

I, Cladius is one of the grandaddies of the genre and it holds up well.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I found Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman to be extremely depressing. I was expecting a murder mystery and not a melancholy tale of lonely middle aged people leading dull lives in some dumpy Swedish forest.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lawen posted:

I, Cladius is one of the grandaddies of the genre and it holds up well.

I read this not too long ago and wasn't impressed. Wasn't bad, but it never really went anywhere.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Can someone recommend me some good downers? I'm looking for something bleak and lonely, preferably in an everyday modern setting.

I'm not good with modern settings, but if you don't mind overlooking that:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
There Will Come Soft Rains (Ray Bradbury)

If you don't mind reading about rich people problems, lots of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Human Tornada posted:

I found Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman to be extremely depressing. I was expecting a murder mystery and not a melancholy tale of lonely middle aged people leading dull lives in some dumpy Swedish forest.

That's the wrong blackwater. You wanted blackwater by Michael McDowell.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Meldonox posted:

Stewart O'Nan's Songs For the Missing

edit- or Last Night at the Lobster

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 14, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does The Road count? It’s kinda modern

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

The Pale King

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Meldonox posted:

if you can accept that neither are really that modern:
The Clown by Heinrich Böll, No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai, Contempt by Moravia, The Class by Hermann Ungar

if you want funny and bleak at the same time, try Satantango or just about anything Thomas Bernhard

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Thanks folks! I'm making a list and checking into all this, but I think I cast a narrower net than I meant to. I probably should have been clearer about what I mean by modern, sorry about that. I was thinking modern as in not sci fi or fantasy. I'm far better read in Eastern lit than Western, so what I was considering modern probably extends back a bit farther than, say, post-WW2 or Cold War or whatever.

ulvir posted:

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

I've read this before and love it and it's a good example of what I had in mind. Haruki Murakami also does what I'm looking for reasonably well. I know there's a fair bit of magical realism involved most of the time, but it kinda hits the nail on the head when he's writing about dudes in their thirties dealing with ennui and detachment.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm looking for a particular type of horror, where it starts off fairly by the numbers (and doesn't even have to be horror) but turns into insanity, where the narration of the novel or even its structure are thrown into chaos. Not sure how to better describe it. Stephen King's story 1408 is an ok example, where the narrator is so infected by the room that his stream of consciousness becomes increasingly unhinged. I feel like a lot of meta-fictional horror may fall into this category but it's certainly not a requirement and though I think House of Leaves will be recommended I don't think it's a precise fit. Essentially, a book that starts off more or less normally and eventually you're saying "wtf is going on this feels insane".

A movie equivalent might be In the Mouth of Madness, Lost Highway, or especially Inland Empire.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm looking for a particular type of horror, where it starts off fairly by the numbers (and doesn't even have to be horror) but turns into insanity, where the narration of the novel or even its structure are thrown into chaos. Not sure how to better describe it. Stephen King's story 1408 is an ok example, where the narrator is so infected by the room that his stream of consciousness becomes increasingly unhinged. I feel like a lot of meta-fictional horror may fall into this category but it's certainly not a requirement and though I think House of Leaves will be recommended I don't think it's a precise fit. Essentially, a book that starts off more or less normally and eventually you're saying "wtf is going on this feels insane".

A movie equivalent might be In the Mouth of Madness, Lost Highway, or especially Inland Empire.

Possibly The Library at Mount Char, though it doesn't get explicitly metafictional, just massively off the rails.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

you've watched the cabin in the woods, right

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you've watched the cabin in the woods, right

That’s what I was thinking of, that movie is so good when you go in blind.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Meldonox posted:

Here's just a couple of my favorite apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic fiction picks for you (it's a subgenre I'm really into) that I think qualify, and that also more-or-less fit the "everyday modern setting" (no obvious far future or far past or far out sci-fi, and nor anything written say before 1940):
  • On the Beach by Nevil Shute
  • Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Do you know of any good books that end as a different kind of story than what they started as, either gradually or through a swerve?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Solitair posted:

Do you know of any good books that end as a different kind of story than what they started as, either gradually or through a swerve?
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What’re some good books on the CIA? It could include info about its founding, history, organization etc. But I am particularly interested in its activities in foreign countries. I was given a copy of Legacy of Ashes, but it’s quite a long read at 700+ pages and would like to know if it’s worth it and still relevant, considering it was published over ten years ago.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I enjoyed Shadow Warrior by Randall Woods, but these sort of books are well outside my usual fare so I don't know with what regard serious intelligence historians view it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ornamented Death posted:

I enjoyed Shadow Warrior by Randall Woods, but these sort of books are well outside my usual fare so I don't know with what regard serious intelligence historians view it.

For a second I thought you were referring to Rogue Warrior and got very concerned

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Solitair posted:

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What’re some good books on the CIA? It could include info about its founding, history, organization etc. But I am particularly interested in its activities in foreign countries. I was given a copy of Legacy of Ashes, but it’s quite a long read at 700+ pages and would like to know if it’s worth it and still relevant, considering it was published over ten years ago.

killing hope by william blum

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solitair posted:

Lanark by Alaisdair Grey and The Green Child by Herbert Read.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Solitair posted:

I suppose Calvino’s If on a winter’s night a traveler is one of the more extreme examples

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Mover posted:

I suppose Calvino’s If on a winter’s night a traveler is one of the more extreme examples

Solitair posted:

minidracula posted:

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Also Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well, poo poo, I've run out of my queue of sci fi.

Recently, I read: House of Suns (pretty good), Dragon's Egg (very good), A World Out of Time (good, but obviously dated), All Systems Red (surprisingly good), Use of Weapons (maybe good as a book but poo poo as an audiobook), The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (poo poo, I actually stopped reading this one because life is too short).

I'm looking for good hard SF, FTL and dumb dogfighty space battles are pretty much right out for me. I loved Chasing Ice, Children of Time, and Rendezvous With Rama, among others.

Any ideas?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There are three novella sequels to All Systems Red and they're all as good or better. They're priced as novels for novella length though.

I love murderbot so much, want to hug murderbot, but cannot hug murderbot because I respect murderbot's choices

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

Recently, I read: House of Suns (pretty good), Dragon's Egg (very good), A World Out of Time (good, but obviously dated), All Systems Red (surprisingly good), Use of Weapons (maybe good as a book but poo poo as an audiobook), The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (poo poo, I actually stopped reading this one because life is too short).

I'm looking for good hard SF, FTL and dumb dogfighty space battles are pretty much right out for me. I loved Chasing Ice, Children of Time, and Rendezvous With Rama, among others.

Any ideas?

You might enjoy Robert Charles Wilson's Spin and its sequels.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tuyop posted:

Any ideas?

The audio book for Player of Games is quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ll give those a go, thanks!