Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have been burned out of three buildings over the years (none started in my apartment) so gently caress yeah I'm worried about fire. Two of the three were candles as the ignition source, the last one was a daisy chained power strips and bad wiring combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have been burned out of three buildings over the years (none started in my apartment) so gently caress yeah I'm worried about fire. Two of the three were candles as the ignition source, the last one was a daisy chained power strips and bad wiring combination.

Are you sure you aren’t a sleep arsonist? I can count on one hand the number of people I know who’ve been in one fire. 3 is nuts.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I posted some kitchen showers a while ago, but this one takes things to a whole new level.

Also, another stair toilet:

Bonus:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

I'd be proud to take a poo poo on that throne every day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I posted some kitchen showers a while ago, but this one takes things to a whole new level.

That's....that's the front door!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's not a shower, it's a decontamination setup.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m kind of into the balcony shitter if it’s the top floor and there’s a coffee maker out there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

spog posted:

That's....that's the front door!
Theory proposed by my girlfriend: the peephole points inside, so you can see if someone's in the shower before you enter the kitchen.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
If any of you have $800K and an interest in restoration, one of the Ringling's mansions in Oak Ridge, NJ is up for sale. Really interesting looking place, but years of semi-neglect have taken their toll.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2-Manor-Dr_Oak-Ridge_NJ_07438_M50993-71274
https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2018/08/historic_nj_mansion_built_by_circus_tycoon_on_the_market_but_not_for_peanuts.html

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Honestly I can see the logic here, especially if the resident is an elderly person and needs a place to sit while they bathe. It's basically just a small wet bathroom.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are you missing the fact you have to come through the shower to use the front door?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

therobit posted:

LOL goons are so scared of fire. I get that it isn't wise to have fuels building up all over ther place but goons are always sperging out about fire danger over the most mundane stuff.

last year the most destructive wildfire in California history killed 22 people here and wiped out entire neighborhoods. almost 3,000 homes were destroyed. it took 3 weeks before the fire was out; we were evacuated for 2 weeks. some families are still homeless while others, especially people who rented, have had to leave the area entirely because they can't afford new housing. There's high incidences of PTSD and trauma-related emotional issues amongst people in the area. we're on a pretty much permanent fire ban and our local utilities are now cutting power to most of my county when it's windy because there's high risk of another fire starting. i think i have a justifiable reason to be cautious.

could you take a moment of time for a little consideration before you post? I'd appreciate it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Are you missing the fact you have to come through the shower to use the front door?

...yes, yes I was. :stare:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

It really feels like they misunderstood the plans and thought it would be 30% smaller, then when they were moving in and had a bunch of spare room they just went 'eh, fill it with old persian rugs, I guess?' There's a tremendous amount of deadspace between the open kitchen and the pool, and the rugs and plants just make it seem like they had no idea what to do.

The rugs are because as soon as they moved in they realized how bad the echo was and had to do something to make the place live-able.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

last year the most destructive wildfire in California history killed 22 people here and wiped out entire neighborhoods. almost 3,000 homes were destroyed. it took 3 weeks before the fire was out; we were evacuated for 2 weeks. some families are still homeless while others, especially people who rented, have had to leave the area entirely because they can't afford new housing. There's high incidences of PTSD and trauma-related emotional issues amongst people in the area. we're on a pretty much permanent fire ban and our local utilities are now cutting power to most of my county when it's windy because there's high risk of another fire starting. i think i have a justifiable reason to be cautious.

could you take a moment of time for a little consideration before you post? I'd appreciate it.

Oh word? Are there any other subjects that should be off limits so we don't hurt your feelings?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

therobit posted:

Oh word? Are there any other subjects that should be off limits so we don't hurt your feelings?

your posts are bad so if you could stop posting completely that would be 👍

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Truly the chicken of tomorrow.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Dave posted:

Truly the chicken of tomorrow.

Very tender!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Are you sure you aren’t a sleep arsonist? I can count on one hand the number of people I know who’ve been in one fire. 3 is nuts.

It is insane, but I've been living in sketchy apartment buildings for over thirty years.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I had to go back to the place where everything was planned very bad.
I had to remount a (only one - luckily) light on a wall, because the second floors towards the garden suddenly got a balcony on stilts! And one of the stilts was in front of the light. To my misery I had to install another 5 lights on the new balconies.

Also, after all this time, someone realized there was no mailbox for 8 people living there. So here's a story about a lamp:
I installed that lamp like a year ago. It's a lamp where you have a base-plate that you mount to the wall. There's a small opening for the cable coming in. You connect those wires to the lamp and then try to fit the cables and the converter-thing into the little box that goes onto the base-plate and then you tighten it with very tiny, fragile screws.
The outside of the house had to be renewed. So I uninstalled that light. The reinstalled it after the plaster was off. Then the new plaster came, so I removed it again. After it was on, I reinstalled it. Last week I had to take it off again to run a line from it to the mailboxes, then reinstall it.
If I have to touch that light ONE MORE loving TIME I will probably lose my job :( Because there will be loud things coming out of my mouth.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I guess it depends on the climate. If you live in an area with a sustainable way of life it's not as much of an issue. At the moment I'm surrounded by hundreds of acres of dried cornstalks and hay, but we have an appropriate water supply to support our population and wildfires aren't even on the radar. Terraforming a desert to support multimillion dollar home values may yield different results.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JoshGuitar posted:

I guess it depends on the climate. If you live in an area with a sustainable way of life it's not as much of an issue. At the moment I'm surrounded by hundreds of acres of dried cornstalks and hay, but we have an appropriate water supply to support our population and wildfires aren't even on the radar. Terraforming a desert to support multimillion dollar home values may yield different results.

You have no idea what California's climate actually is. Turbohint: there are plants in California that have evolved to require wildfires to germinate. Which mean that wildfires have always been a thing around here. They've just gotten more frequent lately because of global climate change.

Yes, there's a lot of farming in the desert, and that uses a poo poo-ton of water, but that's also not usually the part that goes up in flames, oddly enough. It's the parts that aren't micromanaged by humans that get a poo poo-ton of plant growth during the winter and spring, which then turns into fuel in the summer when it doesn't rain at all for like six months. Fires start there, and then spread everywhere else. Once the temperature's over 1000F it really doesn't matter if you keep your local plants well-watered, they're burning anyway.

tl;dr the problem is that we have a generally warm climate, lots of sun, and a wet season and a dry season, instead of getting intermittent rain throughout the year like most of the US does.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You have no idea what California's climate actually is. Turbohint: there are plants in California that have evolved to require wildfires to germinate. Which mean that wildfires have always been a thing around here.

I'm familiar enough to know the bolded part is the problem (or at least a symptom). Living in CA and being surprised by wildfires is like living in the Amazon without rain gear, or wondering why your asthma acts up in Denver. It's an unfortunate part of life there, and a reason it may not be meant for permanent human inhabitation, but one's experiences in California don't necessarily mean a 20 acre plot in Pittsburgh is a fire hazard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is plenty of land in California that doesn’t burn like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

glynnenstein posted:

Someday I'll get around to

I bet that's what the last guy said too. :v:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Also, California hasn't always burned like that. Humans are the reason the dry season is now so long and so dry. Dams are not as great as we thought they were 50 years ago.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The part of CA that burned in that fire is literally wine country, it gets warm up here, but this isn't desert land or redwood forest

I also don't think the plants evolved to take down horribly maintained PG&E power lines. Which have caused a ton of CAs wildfires

Yay deregulation

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 21, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sure, lot sizes of 1-2 acres I can at least conceptualize. Like, it's a ton of space for one dwelling, but it's not totally isolating. 22 acres is an order of magnitude more space and pretty much means that at most the only neighbors you're going to see regularly are the ones living across the street, assuming their house lines up with yours.

I mean, I live on a 5000-sqft lot (~ 1/8th acre), so obviously my perspective is different, and I'm not trying to tell you what you should want. One of the things I spend probably too much time thinking about is what degree of community I would want to have in my "dream home" neighborhood, and I'm pretty sure that 22-acre lots is "no community" in a lot of ways that I find important. I feel like for me probably the ideal lot size is somewhere in the .5-1.5 acre range.

20 acres, using the common size of 660' by 66' (one furlong long and one chain wide, old school surveyors' measurements are funky) is only 1320' x 660' or so. Not overwhelmingly large, more like a small corn field.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If any of you have $800K and an interest in restoration, one of the Ringling's mansions in Oak Ridge, NJ is up for sale. Really interesting looking place, but years of semi-neglect have taken their toll.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2-Manor-Dr_Oak-Ridge_NJ_07438_M50993-71274
https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2018/08/historic_nj_mansion_built_by_circus_tycoon_on_the_market_but_not_for_peanuts.html

That fireplace is sexy. I want lean against it while plotting dastardly clown themed crimes. The love of my life and partner in crime can perch on the crimson leather sofa, eyes twinkling at the thought of robbing the poo poo out of the rich. I wish there were more photos of the inside.

Someone buy that place with me. 18 bedrooms, we can fit.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

JoshGuitar posted:

Sweden had the biggest wildfires ever this year, and that's not exactly desert.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JoshGuitar posted:

I'm familiar enough to know the bolded part is the problem (or at least a symptom). Living in CA and being surprised by wildfires is like living in the Amazon without rain gear, or wondering why your asthma acts up in Denver. It's an unfortunate part of life there, and a reason it may not be meant for permanent human inhabitation, but one's experiences in California don't necessarily mean a 20 acre plot in Pittsburgh is a fire hazard.

I'm curious what parts of the world you would consider to be "meant for permanent human inhabitation". In particular in the US it seems like your options are the earthquake/wildfire combo, hurricanes, tornadoes, hellishly hot weather, or being periodically paralyzed by "unprecedented" winter storms. In particular, we kind of need coastal cities if we want to participate in global society.

And nobody's being surprised by the wildfires, beyond maybe thinking "okay, California gets fires, but ~it won't happen to me~". That doesn't change that they're traumatic, life-ending events. I wouldn't taunt a Floridian for being upset that their house got pulverized by a storm, and I'd consider Florida to be far more "unsustainable" than (non-coastal) California.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I'm curious what parts of the world you would consider to be "meant for permanent human inhabitation". In particular in the US it seems like your options are the earthquake/wildfire combo, hurricanes, tornadoes, hellishly hot weather, or being periodically paralyzed by "unprecedented" winter storms. In particular, we kind of need coastal cities if we want to participate in global society.
What I'm hearing is that Europeans settling America was a mistake :hmmyes:

Also the increase in "unprecedented" winter storms is due to climate change, unlike the bits of california that have been catching on fire for so long that things have evolved to take advantage of it.

Ireland's pretty nice. Our only real problem is being next door to England.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 21, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Splicer posted:

Also the increase in "unprecedented" winter storms is due to climate change, unlike the bits of california that have been catching on fire for so long that things have evolved to take advantage of it.

London is on the same latitude as New York. Once climate change disrupts the ocean currents that keep the isles temperate you'll get crazy snowstorms.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Splicer posted:

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blue Footed Booby posted:

London is on the same latitude as New York. Once climate change disrupts the ocean currents that keep the isles temperate you'll get crazy snowstorms.
Oh yeah we're also hosed by climate change, my point is that much of it's been a perfectly nice place to build houses on up until now, much like there were perfectly good house parts of the US up until we hosed it all up. The "Hooray for Fire" parts of California, not so much.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

The Dave posted:

I’m kind of into the balcony shitter if it’s the top floor and there’s a coffee maker out there.

In may I stayed in a airbnb apartment in Vietnam with a shower on the balcony. So loving good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Splicer posted:

drat those Anglicans coming into Ireland to rape all those children.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jerry Cotton posted:

drat those Anglicans coming into Ireland to rape all those children.
I'd prefer not to hear about your holiday plans, thanks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Another part about wild fires is, we've been so good at stopping wildfires for years and years that the fuel has built the gently caress up. Had we let poo poo burn, in smaller fires, the big ones wouldn't be as big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fist4jesus posted:

In may I stayed in a airbnb apartment in Vietnam with a shower on the balcony. So loving good.

A shower or the only shower? You can't just say this and not post a picture.