Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

That always felt kinda weird and creepy to me. Why is ChibiUsa tryin to snuggle up to her own dad? If I remember right, she knows who her parents are so just eww.

It wasn't that bad in the manga/Crystal (though it was still there), they just played it up even more in the 90's series for some reason (and yes, she 100% knew Mamoru was her dad).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The stuff re: Mamoru reminds me of my biggest issues with HaCha, and how Blue’s character could have solved so many problems if he just told Megumi nothing was going to happen and didn’t make such unfair rules in the first place. The way he treats Mirage causing her going bad to be all his own drat fault and the fact he gets to live happily ever after with her instead of both her and the Precure rightly moving beyond him is just. Bleh.

The fact that Megumi is just so passive in all this and Seiji of all people has more agency in a Precure show than its female lead is even more damning. The love triangle takes over the back half of the show, cheats Hime out of a meaningful resolution with her parents, and Yuko just gets next to nothing for most of the show beyond, surprise surprise, her relationship with a dude. Iona’s storyline is wrapped up excessively quickly too and her susyer’s reasons for leaving after being freed are hella contrived.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

My only problem with Tuxedo Mask is the anime turned him into an old man for some reason. When you consider that he’s a greek myth cast through the lens of a 14 year old lovesick mangaka his dynamic makes sense, but when some old anime industry dude starts making arbitrary changes it gets pretty creepish.

Dunno what was up with horse boyfriend though. That completely lost me.

Also, when we were ranking fairies I forgot Milky Rose. That’s a crime. She’s perfect. Definitely a contender. My apologies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, a college student dating a 14 year old is kind of weird (he was older than Usagi in the manga too but not by nearly as much), not sure what they were thinking there.

Also on the subject of weird anime changes, Rei has a completely different personality in the 90's anime compared to every other version of her. But I don't mind that too much (probably because said anime was my first introduction to the franchise) and it might have been done to differentiate her a bit from Ami (there was a pretty big gap between Mars and Jupiter's debuts in the anime version after all).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes 16 in the manga and 18 in the anime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

hes 16 in the manga and 18 in the anime

So 4 years older than Usagi then, still kind of weird (mostly because she's still barely a teenager) but not quite as bad as I remember.

As for the other adaptions I've seen, while the casting in PGSM is solid and I like most of the additions to the Dark Kingdom story, I will comment that Minako seemed way too serious (while it was embellished a bit in the 90's anime her ditzy moments did actually originate from the manga) and Makoto barely got any development at all (neither did Luna for that matter despite her replacing Chibiusa as the team's Sixth in that version. Hell, they didn't even bother updating the OP to include her).

Crystal honestly could have done with having a bit of filler tossed in here and there, as it stands it feels way too rushed and we barely have time to get to know the characters before the first arc is over (also, why bother with the whole "Venus acting as a decoy Princess" thing if you're just going to resolve it in the very next episode? At least PGSM dragged it out a little more before the reveal and the 90's series just excised that particular plot point entirely). Season 3 is a little better in terms of both pacing and animation quality though (they also seemed to have a little more creative freedom rather than just being chained to the manga) so hopefully that bodes well for the upcoming movies and however they wind up handling Stars.

As for the manga itself, I vastly prefer the way the original anime handled the first two arcs (the first season probably has the best final battle in the entire franchise), S is about equal across the board (though if I really had to choose I'd probably give it to Crystal in this case), and the final two arcs were handled much better in the manga (especially Dream/SuperS). The manga version of Stars is batshit insane and I look forward to seeing that animated one day.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 16, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I feel like the anime didn’t have nearly enough Rhett Butler.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I feel like the anime didn’t have nearly enough Rhett Butler.

Probably the best filler character IMO (he's an adorable round cat, what's not to love), he should have stuck around as Luna's Tuxedo Mask (hell, just have Mamoru adopt him).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 16, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity and since technically it counts as a Magical Girl series (or a parody of one as the case may be), was the anime they made a while back based on the Powerpuff Girls any good?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity and since technically it counts as a Magical Girl series (or a parody of one as the case may be), was the anime they made a while back based on the Powerpuff Girls any good?

Nah, it was very forgettable. It was like if the staff behind it watched half a dozen Powerpuff Girls episodes and excised any of PPG's boundless charm, irreverence, and energy and threw in stock magical girl anime cliches. None of their takes on the characters are vaguely interesting or fitting either.

The henshins are excellent though! https://youtube.com/watch?v=rkj_kg24r0Y

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 20, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not a parody, it plays magical girl tropes pretty straight. It's not especially interesting or fun but the artstyle and animation are mostly decent, but it's otherwise pretty bland. Not bad, but not good either

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cygames doing more for Precure in English than Toei

i started watching FWPC because of the collab and while it's a little rough around the edges, it seems pretty enjoyable!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Luceid posted:

i started watching FWPC because of the collab and while it's a little rough around the edges, it seems pretty enjoyable!

Futari Wa is still probably one of my favorite seasons but they're all decent in their own ways (with the possible exception of Happiness Charge). The current season Hugtto is also far better than it would appear to be at first glance (it does take a few episodes to really get going though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 22, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So the latest episode of Hugtto is great and amazing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tanaka directing was such a good choice as he knows all the Precure visual meme's

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Futari Wa is still probably one of my favorite seasons but they're all decent in their own ways (with the possible exception of HeartCatch). The current season Hugtto is also far better than it would appear to be at first glance (it does take a few episodes to really get going though).

I thought Heartcatch was the one that got all the plaudits?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought Heartcatch was the one that got all the plaudits?

Nevermind, HeartCatch is fine. I was getting it confused with Happiness Charge. It's not terrible and I like the idea of the main character being a Precure fangirl but they didn't really do a whole lot with that. Speaking of which, I forget but do the general public in these shows even really know that the Precure exist (most of them tend to fight in fairly isolated areas)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Honestly all the Precure seasons have their fans and their... anti-fans? Dunno if there's a word for that. My girlfriend is a huge magical girl nerd and said Heartcatch was one her least favorite Precure seasons although it's often seen as one of the best.

But yeah the last episode was fantastic :allears: Four minutes of how many magical girls was that? Like fifty-five? The best thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what's the issue with happiness charge

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

It just doesn't seem to be quite as well regarded as most of the other seasons from what I've seen (somebody else could probably explain in a bit more detail). I didn't hate it personally but it's not one of my favorites either. Like with everything else, your mileage may vary of course.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Motto posted:

Happiness Charge is basically a case of every idea it has either being half-baked or what they do put their energy into being overwrought and coming at the expense of everything else surrounding it.

The show can only focus narratively on one character at a time. In the first half of the series, the focus is on Hime, only for the second to shift towards Megumi and the romantic plot tumor that takes over the entire story. It leads to stuff like Yuuko never getting much of a character arc (her entire character is basically "rice and food!" and then later her relationship with Phantom), Hime's reunion with her parents in the second half being reduced to a single splash image, and Iona's sister being shuffled off for no practical reason just when the team needs all the help it can get. The form changes and international Precure teams are never used to their full potential, and in some case, come with unfortunate stereotypes and whitewashing.

The aforementioned focus on the Blue-Megumi-Seiji love triangle is reliant on characters never talking to each other at all, and Blue knowing full well what's going on and never being a responsible adult and just telling Megumi nothing is going on and Seiji acting like Megumi is someone he has to "defend" from Blue. Blue is also a terrible and what happened to Queen Mirage is entirely his fault and based on his complete inability to just set anyone straight, and the fact it ends with the two of them "living happily ever after" completely ignores what a toxic influence their relationship was. The fact that female characters in a magical girl show, which is about girls being heroes, lack agency in their own story is damning enough on its own, as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ratings-wise/merch-wise it was the biggest bomb since yes pretty cure 5 gogo so that didnt help people's perception of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also speaking of

quote:

1: Go Princess Precure
2: Futari Wa Pretty Cure
3: Heartcatch precure
4: kirakira precure a la mode
5: smile precure
6: maho girls precure
7: fresh pretty cure
8: yes pretty cure 5 and yes pretty cure 5 gogo have like, basically the same amount of shows and are basically the same series so
9: futari wa pretty cure max heart
10: doki doki pretty cure
11: suite pretty cure
12: futari wa pretty cure splash star
13: happiness charge pretty cure

This was a poll held on toei's site before hugtto started airing, as an internet poll promoted through twitter it's obviously weighted towards older, more hardcore fans but its still interesting and seems to generally reflect western fan opinions too (ive seen more good will towards suite and less towards yes pretty cure 5 and smile, but generally speaking)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Motto posted:

Blue and the fact Toei's production woes that year hit it pretty hard

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The Rice Song is super catchy, though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

also ratings-wise/merch-wise it was the biggest bomb since yes pretty cure 5 gogo so that didnt help people's perception of it

AFAIK while Go Go did nowhere near as good as Yes did it still did better than Splash Star which was the Precure series Toei liked to ignore until Happiness Charge took that mantle.

Go Go killed the idea of sequel series though, which is probably for the best as while Go Go had some good episodes as a whole it was a huge step down from Yes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Max Heart had problems with getting long in the tooth, too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AFAIK while Go Go did nowhere near as good as Yes did it still did better than Splash Star which was the Precure series Toei liked to ignore until Happiness Charge took that mantle.

Go Go killed the idea of sequel series though, which is probably for the best as while Go Go had some good episodes as a whole it was a huge step down from Yes

And to be honest is there any other season that could have really benefited from a sequel series? As mentioned above, even Max Heart started to wear out its welcome after a while (and as much as I love Nagisa it did sort of the start the trend of Pink being treated as more important than the rest of the team as well).

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Poor Splash Star :( I mean it started out kind of slow but I thought the ending was great. I guess it was too "similar" to FW/MH on first glance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Poor Splash Star :( I mean it started out kind of slow but I thought the ending was great. I guess it was too "similar" to FW/MH on first glance.

The main characters literally look (and even sort of act) like slightly modified versions of Nagisa and Honoka. It generally does it's own thing for the most part but that's always kind of been a little weird to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have to admit that I have some small degree of resentment that Dokidoki as a big fan of that in that it's the series that gets the reputation for Pink taking over the show while Megumi is far more egregious in how Megumi's life takes over the entire story and renders her friends irrelevant.

Yeah Mana fought the last boss on her own but Megumi did the same thing while her friends didn't even get the courtesy of being allowed to stay transformed.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Generally the complaints about Mana taking over Doki have died away while the real issues of Doki, the horrible mid-season arc starting with the reveal of Cure Ace remain. God what a horrible twist that was

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was at ground zero of that, and everyone being so certain Ace was Regina was earning responses like "Oh, so she's just a rip off of Setsuna." Then it didn't happen, Ace was someone completely different, and everything turned on a dime.

But I don't think Regina becoming a Precure at that point would have rung true at that point - she was still horribly impulsive and hadn't taken hold of her own agency like Lulu and Setsuna did prior to them changing sides. And ultimately I think the plot point that Aguri and Regina being two halves of the same coin resulting in Makoto and everyone else having to accept the reality that Marie Ange was truly gone fit the series' themes about having to let go of the people or things you want or care for sometimes.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 22, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Sailor Moon fought Beryl alone too, and that’s arguably the best part of that season. I suppose it’s just a problem of execution, if there’s even a problem beyond differences in preference.

I’m willing to forgive everything for the sake of Kaiju Lance.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lance is a magnificent creature.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Sailor Moon fought Beryl alone too, and that’s arguably the best part of that season. I suppose it’s just a problem of execution, if there’s even a problem beyond differences in preference.

I’m willing to forgive everything for the sake of Kaiju Lance.

That's still probably one of (if not the) best fights in the entire Sailor Moon franchise in my opinion (and the only scene where the music in both the original and the dub was equally good) but that series had the problem of the leader being more important than anyone else (it's basically a plot point in fact), especially in SuperS where the rest of the team may as well not exist for how relevant they were in that season. Though to be fair, even Usagi herself kind of got overshadowed by Chibiusa in that particular installment.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Nodosaur posted:

I was at ground zero of that, and everyone being so certain Ace was Regina was earning responses like "Oh, so she's just a rip off of Setsuna." Then it didn't happen, Ace was someone completely different, and everything turned on a dime.

But I don't think Regina becoming a Precure at that point would have rung true at that point - she was still horribly impulsive and hadn't taken hold of her own agency like Lulu and Setsuna did prior to them changing sides. And ultimately I think the plot point that Aguri and Regina being two halves of the same coin resulting in Makoto and everyone else having to accept the reality that Marie Ange was truly gone fit the series' themes about having to let go of the people or things you want or care for sometimes.

The resolution may have been good but that still doesn't excuse writing Mana's goth GF out of the series for 20+ episodes in favor of Miss Tsundere Loli we've never met before. The only good part of the whole affair is that is means Mana technically stole the same fiance from the the same man, and added them to her ever growing harem, twice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not really against a character taking a break for plot reasons. Dark Precure would disappear in and out of the plot all the time in Heartcatch, and that was fine. I didn't mind Regina for the same reasons, and she wouldn't have worked as a mid-season addition either for the reasons I already gave.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I could see Regina not being a Precure but her going away and coming back brainwashed did undo a lot of the work that was done at that point and also brought back the rougher parts of Suite (which way overused that device)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can understand that at least. But still, I don't think Regina not turning out to be Ace or the introduction of Aguri was a bad thing, and it certainly didn't ruin the show as dramatically as people say it did.

But that's just my opinion and I won't drill it into the ground further if it's bothering people.

EDIT - But I dunno. For personal context, Dokidoki really resonated with me, and it's kind of silly, but the ending helped me come to terms with my grandfather's death a few years prior. I know it's just a kids show, and it's on the lower end of the totem poll popularity wise, and I'm not gonna pretend it was perfect, but it was a series that did a lot to help me when I was in a bad place all the same.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 22, 2018