Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, I haven't played since the newest patch dropped but I'm always down for spooky poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Hopefully this means a re-work of how useful caves are.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

AirRaid posted:

Hopefully this means a re-work of how useful caves are.

That, or we're about to find out where Monstrosities come from by taking a portal into the Upside Down, as the oh-so-topical Stranger Things font implies.

Frankly, combat is so clumsy in this game I wouldn't bet a dime on my chances in a firefight in close quarters with those things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If they even gave any reason at all to fight monstrosities, that'd be an improvement. As it is, you only run into them by picking up a whispering egg, and then they will respawn indefinitely until a time limit is reached so the only sensible thing to do is just avoid them until they go away. If there was a finite number in any given spawn, if they chased you forever unless you killed X amount of them, or if they dropped crafting mats, they might possibly be worth spending ammo on.

If they haven't given them a ranged attack yet, this update is when they'll be getting it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
They do have a ranged attack now, and a pretty nasty sudden lunge as well. They're dangerous little fuckers unless you're already pretty diesel.

And there's still no good reason to anger them in the first place, lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
One aggravating thing that's been happening since the last patch is when one of my frigates gets damaged during a mission, they automatically continue without phoning home for instruction. The first time I know of any damage is when the mission is complete. I haven't had any be destroyed yet but it's just a matter of time. Plus I'm getting more damaged frigates than ever, even when I send a support ship and even when I send a four star fleet on a two star mission. Half of them come back damaged and they usually come back with four or five damaged sections. Also, many/most hirable frigates no longer hail me anymore so I'm having extreme difficulty hiring more even though I only have about a dozen or so. It's like they're purposely trying to make this as obnoxious as possible. I'm about done with this poo poo until they make it less annoying; the rewards aren't worth it. :argh:

I finally decided to just trade my annoying exotic ship for another fighter. The drat thing had a top fin that was WAY too tall. The drat thing was so tall that it clipped through the ceiling of my freighter all the way up into the base section of the freighter and almost clipped through THAT ceiling. The fin was constantly getting in the way when I was walking through the base section. It was like an additional wall. Who thought that such a tall ship was a good idea and why wasn't it tested? Hell, when I took it to the space station to exchange it, the fin was inches away from scraping THAT ceiling and space station ceilings are high as HELL.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Anyone who thinks that the Gek aren't still evil little shits either hasn't gotten far enough in the storyline or wasn't paying enough attention, by the way. Modern Geks' motives are no different than those of the First Spawn. There's a huge reason they act differently.

Moral of the story: don't fall for their adorable friendly facade. Stab all Gek in the face. :colbert:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

...! posted:

It's like they're purposely trying to make this as obnoxious as possible. I'm about done with this poo poo until they make it less annoying; the rewards aren't worth it. :argh:
This has been Hello Games design method right from the start, and it infects just about every facet of the game. When it felt like the universe had some novelty I could see past it, but now even that facade has fallen away, I've kinda lost hope.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I hear this has something to do with revamping the oceans...?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
We know there is datamined ocean content and someone on reddit posted a screen cap from a preNext mission where the dialog mentioned The Abyss being in the ocean. So it seems likely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

From the Datamine, there’s also a new exocraft listed called the Dragonfly?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

From the Datamine, there’s also a new exocraft listed called the Dragonfly?

Yeah, that is some kind of hovercraft I think? There is another, called the Nautlion or something, which is tagged as a submarine and has an airlocked summoning bay and has fuel cells of some sort? So it isn't like a normal exocraft.

There is also something called the Abyssal Horror, which is labeled as grabby plant, which sounds like an underwater hazard plant, which sounds annoying since hazard plants are annoying and feel pointlessly frustrating.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Discovered that (like a lot of missions) the pirate hunt missions stack. If you come across a mission board that has several pirate hunt missions, grab them all then leave the station, shoot down one pirate and come back. You'll complete all of them for half a minute's work. I guess whoever's putting out pirate bounties just wants a pirate shot down; not any specific pirate. :raise:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The only missions that don't stack are ones that require you to go to specific locations, so basically delivery and missing person's missions, though I have definitely had bugs where multiple deliveries turned in at the same time. Granted, those were "gather x resource and then deliver" missions and now the ones where you are given the item outright.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just grab every "take a photo" mission, every "scan stuff" mission, and every "destroy Sentinels" mission I see, because I spend most of my time scanning things, taking selfies, and accidentally angering the Sentinels and then staging a one-being war against them just for the sheer bloodyminded principle of the thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I have stopped taking delivery missions of any sort and I even some times don't take missions that reward items in general. I also tend to avoid the archaeology missions because they suck.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I also occasionally grab "kill predators" missions because they like to come up and eat my left asscheek while I'm trying to scan them or set up a selfie or whatever, and I take a very dim view of that particular activity. Might as well get rewarded for what I'm going to end up doing anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Question: If an item is unlocked in my guide, and I can pin the formula to build it, am I supposed to have the blueprint? Or do items unlock in the guide even if you don't have the blueprint, but have had the item in your inventory at some point? I still do not have blueprints for Semiconductors, Superconductors and Organic Catalysts, even though they are unlocked in the guide. I have been to multiple facilities in Gek, Vyk and Korvax planets and don't seem to be getting any more blue prints. I can keep trying though, as perhaps toward the end blue prints are less likely to drop?

Edit: Yeah, I eventually finally got one. So I just need to keep looking.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 27, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Is it just me or are desktop navigation data no longer providing...navigation data?

I only get nanites now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was getting Navigation Data last night, but they have a random chance to give either.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I very rarely get nav data lately.

I also learned something today about the scan booster device thing. If you scan/locate too many buildings, but don't visit them, it will just straight up return nothing until you visit them and "clear" them. Lost quite a few nav chips before I figured it out.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

My biggest annoyance with finding buildings that way is that it always clears the nav point after you've been there. I have to put down a beacon by every portal otherwise I'll never find it again.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah you have to build a base or drop a beacon if you want to properly mark a location unfortunately. Eventually, you reach a point where the cost of a base computer is negligible, but the downside is having a bunch of pointless bases scattered through out the galaxy making the teleport menu a mess (made worse by the menu not updating your base names :argh: ) Beacons are less annoying to use, but more annoying to constantly have to build since they require crafted materials.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Ghostlight posted:

I was getting Navigation Data last night, but they have a random chance to give either.

I used to 100% get nav data from cubes and the like on desks for the first 100+ hours of playing, but now I have gone through about 2 dozen with only nanites.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's kind of funny though, that I can only find nanites now that I don't need them for much anymore, and now that I am actually burning through nav data chips desperately trying to get the semiconductor recipe.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The OCD in me is flipping out now that I've apparently learned all the available Korvax words but there are still some untranslated words. Mainly in the conversations with guild reps and vendors. There can't be more than ten to fifteen untranslated words. Please put them in the game, Hello!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Those guys are probably just speaking Atlas.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I don't think I've seen a single translated Atlas word even though I've supposedly been learning them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think I saw like... one. And now I can't see anymore because I finished the quest line :v:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hey guess what you can get a submarine and underwater poo poo is better now

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1056907726998118401

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

EC posted:

Launching a major NMS update with no test patch... :stare: Hold on to your butts because poo poo's about to BREAK.

Also, what time does the patch drop?

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 29, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That looks really in depth :v: I'll be rebuilding my underwater base using those new parts for sure but here's hoping that on the process of adding all that poo poo that the planets we're already built up on don't get major terrain adjustments that break all our stuff.

I'm pretty sure I've never actually found water more than like 50 feet deep since 1.5, for example.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I hate that almost every lake I find is basically a pond. I did find a massive ocean planet recently (and plopped a base comp down) so I will be interested to see what it looks like with the new update. Also, with water animals changing, does this mean that our discovery list will be incomplete again?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

EC posted:

Oooh. Well that definitely looks like a solid content addition. I'll be excited to explore (and crash) through it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

gently caress yes, I knew leaving a computer and portal on that lonely little island in the middle of a massive loving ocean was a good idea.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Patch out on PC now btw.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Have they solved the ‘all your base is full of water if you build it underwater’ thing?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My main base is set back a little from the beach, on a largish island in the middle of a vast but shallow archipelago. I should probably check in on this update

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

No idea. Right now I am just trying to figure out how to even trigger the new quest that apparently exists? None of my dudes have anything for me and my blueprint computer doesn't have blueprints for the sub, unless those are gated behind the basic stuff, in which case I have a bunch of basic blueprints I haven't bought yet.

One thing I noticed is that on the water world I found, my little island's coast line got weird below the waterline. It looks like they regenerated everything below the water line because there is a very noticeable weird cut into the island itself, instead of a natural incline into the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

No idea. Right now I am just trying to figure out how to even trigger the new quest that apparently exists? None of my dudes have anything for me and my blueprint computer doesn't have blueprints for the sub, unless those are gated behind the basic stuff, in which case I have a bunch of basic blueprints I haven't bought yet.

One thing I noticed is that on the water world I found, my little island's coast line got weird below the waterline. It looks like they regenerated everything below the water line because there is a very noticeable weird cut into the island itself, instead of a natural incline into the water.

I was afraid of that. I'll have to go down to my underwater arboretum and see if it no longer lines up with the ground any more.