Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I have not seen a single episode of GT, so the only thing i see here is Trunks smiling and Yamcha.

Trunks smiling is already a red flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I have not seen a single episode of GT, so the only thing i see here is Trunks smiling and Yamcha.

Trunks smiling is already a red flag

thats from Z though

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sea Lily posted:

thats from Z though

Also disclaimer, i stopped watching halfway through buu

...That's at the very end?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I kinda like the SSJ4 design in how it's basically meant to make the Saiyan look more ape-like, like how gorillas have hairless chests and fur everywhere else.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

teen goten is a god drat mess

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

teen goten is a god drat mess

He really is though. Goten's whole thing has always been that he looks like kid Goku, but teen Goten looses that and it's replaced by loving nothing. He looks the default character in a DBZ rpg.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fargin Icehole posted:

Also disclaimer, i stopped watching halfway through buu

...That's at the very end?

Yes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Both of Goku's sons grow up into Yamcha.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

Both of Goku's sons grow up into Yamcha.

To be honest I always thought Yamcha looked a lot like a saiyan throughout Z. It doesn't help that the most distinguishing feature of saiyans, their tails, stopped being a thing after like five episodes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Gohan is not Yamcha but more of a Hybrid of Yamcha and Bulma. Having some sort of intelligence, but low to little use in a fight currently.

Goten, on the otherhand, sadly develops something of a character being Yamcha but not a creep.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yamcha's Android saga short hair was always the worst Yamcha IMHO

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Gohan is not Yamcha but more of a Hybrid of Yamcha and Bulma. Having some sort of intelligence, but low to little use in a fight currently.

Goten, on the otherhand, sadly develops something of a character being Yamcha but not a creep.

only in gt. they just took that he had a girlfriend or w/e it was at the end of z and ran with it in gt because there was nothing else to go on and they were lazy

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Anyone here play Dragon Ball Legends? It's fun and kinda surprised it's not getting any attention on SA. They just had a big update and made a new login campaign for new players.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Just retcon Yamcha into some Saiyan loser sent to earth who's failure Goku was sent to fix.

While we're at it, retcon Launch into a Saiyan too. Half of her was just starting on her path to destruction when we lost track of her.

Goku is just the latest in a list of failed attempts at conquering the Earth.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
After retelling Broly, someone takes his DNA and just makes everyone part Saiyan. Krillin becomes a Saiyan, Yamcha becomes Nappa, Goku get really weak because he's becoming too much Saiyan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda like the SSJ4 design in how it's basically meant to make the Saiyan look more ape-like, like how gorillas have hairless chests and fur everywhere else.

Exactly, this is the whole idea behind the transformation. And for the record is not eyeliner, their eyelids are red.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Exactly, this is the whole idea behind the transformation. And for the record is not eyeliner, their eyelids are red.

Yeah, it's magic eyeshadow, not magic eyeliner :rolleye:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thought exercise:

could Goku and Vegeta have beaten Majin Buu at the end of Z if they had just worked together? Like, 2 vs 1? Buu didn't seem drastically stronger, but that regenerative factor was probably the best in the series. Had they actually teamed up instead of doing what they...always seem to do, would they have been able to find a way to permanently erase Buu without using the spirit bomb?

There's no numbers or power levels or anything to back any of this, so I don't think there's a wrong answer, but it's a fun little thing to consider, especially in light of their actions in the latest chapter of the Super manga.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Shinjobi posted:

Thought exercise:

could Goku and Vegeta have beaten Majin Buu at the end of Z if they had just worked together? Like, 2 vs 1? Buu didn't seem drastically stronger, but that regenerative factor was probably the best in the series. Had they actually teamed up instead of doing what they...always seem to do, would they have been able to find a way to permanently erase Buu without using the spirit bomb?

There's no numbers or power levels or anything to back any of this, so I don't think there's a wrong answer, but it's a fun little thing to consider, especially in light of their actions in the latest chapter of the Super manga.

I don't think they'd be strong enough to completely destroy Buu. They'd be able to keep on knocking him down but they wouldn't be able to finish him off.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Thought exercise:

Goku claims he could have finished Buu off with Super Saiyan 3 so probably.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of the freeform fights in DBZ are basically about being able to land a big enough energy attack on your enemy to actually destroy their body. Trunks finished off Freiza with a big energy blast, as Gohan did to Cell, and Goku actually finally got to use the Spirit Bomb when Kid Buu was kept busy long enough. (mostly by Vegeta, so they kinda DID work together)

Thing is that most of the cast are used to 1v1 deathmatches, maybe tagging in and out, and Goku and Vegeta despite their mutual respect for each other have too much pride to work together very well. About the only way they CAN do so is when they're fused, and they won't do that except as a last resort.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Testekill posted:

I don't think they'd be strong enough to completely destroy Buu. They'd be able to keep on knocking him down but they wouldn't be able to finish him off.

I'm leaning towards this happening

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of Super's strengths is making the stakes and scenarios less linear than 1v1 deathmatches; there's always an unusual condition that needs to be satisfied to win the current engagement.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TrilliontonNixon posted:

He really is though. Goten's whole thing has always been that he looks like kid Goku, but teen Goten looses that and it's replaced by loving nothing. He looks the default character in a DBZ rpg.

Goten looks like kid Goku but acted nothing like him, so him growing into his own thing is really for the better I figure.

Of course they essentially do absolutely nothing with him but you know

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Thought exercise:

The absolute most reasonable thing to do would’ve been to just airdrop Gohan via Instant Transmission.

Outside of that probably not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shinjobi posted:

Thought exercise:

I don't think so. Vegeta didn't have enough power even at his strongest (Majin Vegeta) to beat even the fat Buu, much less the completely uncontrolled Pure Buu. Goku had Super Saiyan 3, which by his own recognition was strong enough for the Fat Buu but the moment he tried it against Kid Buu he only managed to burn himself out because SS3 is an useless piece of poo poo. Even if they had gone in together, the more likely result would be that they dealt some degree of damage to Buu only for him to insta-regen all of it, then they die because Buu blew up the Kaioshin's planet with them on it.

On the plus side, Shin dies too.

There's a big difference between that situation and now in the Super manga. Buu had basically infinite stamina and regeneration, Jiren does not. Goku and Vegeta are far more powerful even without transforming now than they were back then (though this is extremely inconsistent because power levels, nonetheless at the very least base Goku is stronger than Final Freeza post-training, when by Buu he wasn't as strong as Final Freeza without training, without Super Saiyan as confirmed by Beerus), and even there they were only able to face Jiren because he was already tired and beaten up by his fight with UI Goku.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goten and Trunks should be interesting to follow since they've grown up working together and fusing all the time. Their friendship has what Gohan lacked; a peer their own age they can identify and practice with.

They're basically Hank and Dean Venture except Mecha-Shiva is real and can kick rear end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDVupggK3U

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Problem is they don't see much action as Gohan regularly did before and after Bu, so they're sidelined from real training as regular fighters and as a fusion. They have the unique position of being kids that could be trained to fight better as a fusion because they're used to it and like it, but I guess that's only going to happen if they ever meet Kefla and become fusion buddies. Kale and Caulifla have the power they need to challenge to grow stronger and Gotenks has what Caulifla needs, SSJ3. Its a good deal across the board and it'd give them all something to do, even mostly off screen but hinted at.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 25, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Goten and Trunks should be interesting to follow since they've grown up working together and fusing all the time. Their friendship has what Gohan lacked; a peer their own age they can identify and practice with.

They're basically Hank and Dean Venture except Mecha-Shiva is real and can kick rear end.

They should grow up, get married and adopt a Cell Jr together.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Broly coming to UK cinemas in case anyone's surprised

https://www.mangauk.com/dragon-ball-super-broly-hits-uk-cinemas-this-january/

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lmao at that generic saiyan at the end there trying to act like he's a real Dragon Ball character.

Goku! Vegeta! Frieza! Some Dude!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Excuse you his name is Beets and you will respect him

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beets me why I should.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crabtree posted:

After retelling Broly, someone takes his DNA and just makes everyone part Saiyan. Krillin becomes a Saiyan, Yamcha becomes Nappa, Goku get really weak because he's becoming too much Saiyan.

PLz don't spoil Dragon Ball Fighter Z-PLUS for us.

(that's exactly the kind of mechanic that would make a sequel work)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The absolute most reasonable thing to do would’ve been to just airdrop Gohan via Instant Transmission.

Outside of that probably not.

yea it's funny how gohan could have prob beat kid buu without needing the spirit bomb or w/e at the end. toriyama really hosed up with him at the end of the buu saga

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea it's funny how gohan could have prob beat kid buu without needing the spirit bomb or w/e at the end. toriyama really hosed up with him at the end of the buu saga

That would have been incredibly lame though

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Beets me why I should.

Beets is going to be the breakaway star of the show, and he's gonna get an anime with Jaco. Neurotic obsessive geek Saiyan and lazy SPACE COP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

That would have been incredibly lame though

it would be weird with how the ending goes now but it would have worked fine had toriyama not changed his mind about gohan's role in the story at the last second

as is it's just funny how they don't even stop to consider the option when he could easily win if they brought him in. it's just an artifact of the story shifting back to goku near the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering how he did the last time he fought Buu I can guarantee Gohan would just gently caress it up again

For all the flack he gets about stealing the spotlight back i can't really blame Goku by the end of that arc. He gave everyone else a chance to shine and then some and they all hosed it up one after another