Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I doubt it bothers your cats as much as it bothers you. I cat sit for a friend now and again who has an indoor/outdoor cat and literally every day I'd come to feed and play with her, she'd emerge yawning from the exact same bush. They just sleep most of the day and they usually do so in the same handful of places, being indoors or outdoors doesn't really change that behavior.

If you want to mix it up as far as stimulation for your indoor cat goes, outside of new perches/toys, I've found my cats really love watching bird videos on youtube, so sometimes I'll throw on a few 10-hour videos people upload of their bird feeders and let them have a turn watching their shows. One of my cats likes aquarium videos, but they both just love birds.

Edit: Some cats just cry at doors without it being a sign of deep unhappiness. Sometimes my cat Pete will cry and cry at our coat closet door. He's just offended there's a door he's not allowed behind. If I let him into that closet, he'd look in, often not even enter, and just turn and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

Describing this floof ball without pics should be bannable

I know, my camera on my phone hasn't been working so I don't have new pics but, I'll just re-post a couple favorites and remind everyone what an utter beauty Jackie is...

Here she is looking resplendent in some nice lighting..

Here she is outside lazing in the sun, tryin' to look kinda tough (she isn't tough :3:)

.... Oh my. And here is a memorial picture of Jackie when she was a kitten a bit less than 13 years ago, with the family dog Freda who was about an ~8 month old puppy when this picture was taken. Freda had to be put down last week (she lived past 13 which is a very long life for a Weimaraner) and it was pretty crushing for my father and I, who were sort of Freda's two "masters". I was the one who'd take care of her often they went away and for years I walked/ran with her every day at work and played endless games of "fetch the exact right stick I threw into across the field onto a pile of sticks" and that thing.. and now I'm crying a bit again of course.

Just stumbling across this picture makes me smile though. Freda (and Jackie) were such babies back then! They were best friends though Jackie *loved* freda, which was big because she hated our other cats and they hated her, but Jackie and Freda were always besties, as this picture shows..

And yes, for anyone who hasn't seen a pic of her, Jackie really is extremely polydactyl. ZShe has a total of 8 toes/claws on each of her front feet - the three extra paws rare really almost like she second set of mini-front-paws smooshed into the first set. So that is *16* freaking toes and claws up front. Then she's only got s scant ONE extra toe for each toe... not bad! So she has 26 total, and supposed the world record is 28 toes, which apparently a couple cats have... I mean that's cool though, she doesn't have to be THAT rare and exclusive in terms of her polydactylism. But still, I always found it really cool that she had SO MANY TOES! 26 toes is really a lot. The funny thing is that it makes her a bit clumsier than anything else, because Jackie is just SUCH total klutz. She has difficulty just jumping onto my bed and often manages to screw it up. With all those 8 toes and claws she also gets her claws stuck in things very easily and rather than elegantly retracted the perfect claws, Jackie either tries to just force/rip the claw out, or she requires human help in getting unstuck. Poor girl.

Anyway, I really do love and adore my cat. I almost feel that I don't get to talk about that enough - which is kinda silly, really! I just feel like she's special, and I know every pet owner believes that about their kitty/dog, Ah, well.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 24, 2018

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My wife is considering fostering kittens that need bottle feeding (we have two cats right now) because she's around enough to do it. Is there extra vaccinations or anything we should consider for our cats (normally just rabies and distemper)? I'm paranoid about this stuff because I'm immunocompromised, so I guess I'd have to worry about toxoplasmosis? I don't want to end up on Daraprim (considering what it costs these days).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
BEHOLD:

My beautiful, bratty kitty. She is Mika. :yayclod:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a kitty!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

What a kitty!

Cat butt.

I'm glad I read this thread though, we got her as a stray and she's been a solo kitty and I think her socialization has been hurt because she has no other animal companion. We've been considering getting a dog and I think that we ought to because she's a coward who simply hides from other animals right now, at about a year and a half.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mika needs to visit the calico thread with that kind of furry bling :3:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is it okay for a cat to make a weird clicking noise instead of hissing?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I mean the answer is yes anyway, but do you mean like this? Because that kind of weird clicky mew is Peridot's pre-hiss noise. She will switch to actual hisses if pushed but it's rare.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Is your cat watching something they would quite like to chase? Clicking at birds etc is quite common.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rescue Toaster posted:

My wife is considering fostering kittens that need bottle feeding (we have two cats right now) because she's around enough to do it. Is there extra vaccinations or anything we should consider for our cats (normally just rabies and distemper)? I'm paranoid about this stuff because I'm immunocompromised, so I guess I'd have to worry about toxoplasmosis? I don't want to end up on Daraprim (considering what it costs these days).
The foster thread might have a better answer but I suspect that the diseases you want to be on guard for don't have vaccinations and the shelter should be screening for FIV and the like. FeLV has a vaccine but it's not perfectly efficacious and your cats may already have been exposed but survived.

If your wife keeps the fosters completely separated and you don't mix litter, food or water, and she washes her hands before touching the family cats then it should be fine.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Nextdoor Crazy Lady posted:

Roll up a newspaper, not too thick as you want it to make a lot of noise when you whip him with the paper....be nice...pick kity up, Place him on the counter and very rude voice tell him No No No and spank him with the newspaper and put him on the floor and don’t talk to him for a few minutes....an hour later pick him up and do the process again.....you should never have to do this a third time.
^ Someone on my Nextdoor neighborhood posted that in a response to a question of how to keep a cat from getting up on the counters. "Be very nice, force him to do what you don't want him to do, and then repeatedly smack him. Do it every few hours for good measure."

Cat's owner has decided that's a better idea than Ssscat or double sided tape, or god forbid, more fun stuff to play with at floor-level or cat-designated climbing things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

drat Bananas posted:

^ Someone on my Nextdoor neighborhood posted that in a response to a question of how to keep a cat from getting up on the counters. "Be very nice, force him to do what you don't want him to do, and then repeatedly smack him. Do it every few hours for good measure."

Cat's owner has decided that's a better idea than Ssscat or double sided tape, or god forbid, more fun stuff to play with at floor-level or cat-designated climbing things.

The fiancee grew up in a house that did that sort of thing. Cat had an accident? Beat the cat. Cat did bad thing? Beat the cat.

I was not on board with that and when Bean had her bladder problems there was no beating. Just disappointed looks and a shame on you talk.

Although I guess I did punish Domino the time he sprayed because he got his balls cut off the next week.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
My house is in the name of my cats I’m just the caretaker.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Never loving hit the loving cat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i see you hit your cat imma loving hit you and see how you like it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bean was laying in the ground being cute. Have a good picture of the better cat.

She expressed displeasure at this picture by meowing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

The fiancee grew up in a house that did that sort of thing. Cat had an accident? Beat the cat. Cat did bad thing? Beat the cat.

I was not on board with that and when Bean had her bladder problems there was no beating. Just disappointed looks and a shame on you talk.

Although I guess I did punish Domino the time he sprayed because he got his balls cut off the next week.

I'm surprised that worked with Domino. What're you gonna do? Cut his balls off twice? :catbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised that worked with Domino. What're you gonna do? Cut his balls off twice? :catbert:

I'm surprised he forgave me for that. I kicked him off the bed on accident once and he didn't let me near him for an entire day

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So one of my cats seems to fart frequently. With all past healthy cats farting was so rare it was almost a celebrated happening - Per my wife and daughter one of ours is farting regularly and the smell terrorizes them. Should I continue laughing at this or is it a sign of a problem?

Also I'm totally on the You Hit the Cat, Then I Hit You train.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 27, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Fabulousity posted:

So one of my cats seems to fart frequently. With all past healthy cats farting was so rare it was almost a celebrated happening - Per my wife and daughter one of ours is farting regularly and the smell terrorizes them. Should I continue laughing at this or is it a sign of a problem?

Dunno. My cat farts on occasion and I always thought they were deadly. Then I got a kitten that farted whenever she was startled, which, being a kitten, was often. I've never smelled something like that, it would actually chase the other cat out of the room. She seems to have grown out of it, thank god.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

He did this to himself

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly is extremely farty and I went through a lot of food changes to try to quell it. Eventually we determined she's allergic to fish and might have IBS so she's on fancy prescription limited ingredient grain free rabbit based food and the smell won't peel paint off the walls anymore.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Hey Cat thread, I am in need of your advice. This question has probably been asked many times before, but I'm paranoid and worried so forgive me.

I have two cats, Morrigan (4yo) adopted as a kitten, and Baphomet (7yo) adopted last December. They are very different, almost polar opposites really: Baphomet has two primary settings: cuddles and food. Morrigan has one primary setting: crazy. The only time she doesn't want to play is when she's eating or sleeping. The introductions went quicker than anticipated because neither cat could be left alone, and the only seperate room I have is my bedroom. It was a bit shaky to begin with, but they eventually learned to tolerate each other's presence, and just to be sure, I have a Feliway plugged in 24/7. They're okay with sharing two bowls in the same eating station now, but it's clear they will probably never be the best of friends. Or am I mistaken?

Naturally, Morrigan wants to play with Baphomet, but he doesn't really get the concept of "play". I've only just got him to master the art of the laser pointer, and he happily partakes in the chase when the occasion arises, but other than that, he's not that playful.
Now these two sometimes engage in what I believe is play, but I'm never 100% certain that's all they are doing. A lot of the time, Morrigan comes up to Baphomet to sniff him, and he'll turn around and swat her a couple of times. And I don't even know if that is play or not, but it doesn't look like it to me. Sometimes Morrigan runs up to Baphomet and he'll turn around and give a really short, timid "meow" and they'll just have a stare-out until I intervene because I take that as "poo poo's going to go down soon if I don't." Should I intervene? I know it's generally a bad idea to plop them in the same room and leave them to hash it out themselves, but other sources told me that this is their negotiation phase, and if I interrupt it, they'll just keep doing it and it won't get any better... Usually there is no growling, but occasionally, quite rarely, Baphomet hisses at Morrigan, but I haven't witnessed the same thing happening the other way around.

Other than eating, they don't really spend any time together. In itself, that's not a problem, and I don't want to force a traumatic relationship onto them, but I don't want them to be stressed out. I'm kind of at a loss.

Any advice is helpful, and I'm sorry if all this has been asked before. I worry a lot about them...

Tldr: I can't tell if my cats are playing or fighting, and if they are fighting, what can I do to prevent that/ encourage them to get along?

Said cats:
Morrigan

Baphomet

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They're fighting if there is blood. Otherwise, it's just rasslin' and let them sort it out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Len posted:

He did this to himself

Lmao my one cat got stuck in the handle of a paper bag once and tore rear end all throughout the house the moment she realized she was snagged. I think she literally touched every square inch of our apartment in the span of 30 seconds. Once she tired herself out the bag was tattered to shreds but still had the handle around her and we were able to free her. We don't leave those bags around anymore..

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

explosivo posted:

Lmao my one cat got stuck in the handle of a paper bag once and tore rear end all throughout the house the moment she realized she was snagged. I think she literally touched every square inch of our apartment in the span of 30 seconds. Once she tired herself out the bag was tattered to shreds but still had the handle around her and we were able to free her. We don't leave those bags around anymore..

https://i.imgur.com/CvOluys.mp4

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Horsey McHorseface posted:

Now these two sometimes engage in what I believe is play, but I'm never 100% certain that's all they are doing. A lot of the time, Morrigan comes up to Baphomet to sniff him, and he'll turn around and swat her a couple of times. And I don't even know if that is play or not, but it doesn't look like it to me. Sometimes Morrigan runs up to Baphomet and he'll turn around and give a really short, timid "meow" and they'll just have a stare-out until I intervene because I take that as "poo poo's going to go down soon if I don't." Should I intervene? I know it's generally a bad idea to plop them in the same room and leave them to hash it out themselves, but other sources told me that this is their negotiation phase, and if I interrupt it, they'll just keep doing it and it won't get any better... Usually there is no growling, but occasionally, quite rarely, Baphomet hisses at Morrigan, but I haven't witnessed the same thing happening the other way around.

Stop intervening. Swatting might not be playing, but it's a perfectly reasonable way for one cat to tell another to knock something off. Same with staring and hissing and growling. If one of them seems to be actively bullying the other then there's a problem or if they're actually injuring each other, like Deteriorata said, but they need to learn how to sort their poo poo out. Imagine you had this really irritating new housemate who kept bugging you all the time, but any time you looked even slightly annoyed at them some third dude jumped in and told you to chill out. Do you think that'd help you and the new guy learn to deal with each other?

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

They're fighting if there is blood. Otherwise, it's just rasslin' and let them sort it out.

Organza Quiz posted:

Stop intervening. Swatting might not be playing, but it's a perfectly reasonable way for one cat to tell another to knock something off. Same with staring and hissing and growling. If one of them seems to be actively bullying the other then there's a problem or if they're actually injuring each other, like Deteriorata said, but they need to learn how to sort their poo poo out. Imagine you had this really irritating new housemate who kept bugging you all the time, but any time you looked even slightly annoyed at them some third dude jumped in and told you to chill out. Do you think that'd help you and the new guy learn to deal with each other?

Okay thanks, that's a relief! I don't think Morrigan actively bullies him for the sake of bullying him, but rather, she just really really wants Baphomet to play with her. Either way I'll keep an eye out in case things do seem to change, but until then, I'll give them some space to sort it out themselves.
Thanks guys, and sorry again for being a bit paranoid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

explosivo posted:

Did yours give you this look of "I meant to do that"and walk away calmly once freed from the vicious attack?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Horsey McHorseface posted:

Okay thanks, that's a relief! I don't think Morrigan actively bullies him for the sake of bullying him, but rather, she just really really wants Baphomet to play with her. Either way I'll keep an eye out in case things do seem to change, but until then, I'll give them some space to sort it out themselves.
Thanks guys, and sorry again for being a bit paranoid.

I'm going through this right now with a kitten and old man. It's really hard to tell if stuff is playing or fighting; I got the kitten back in June but wasn't convinced the old man was playing until a few weeks ago. He was chilling with me on the recliner while the kitten was doing kitten stuff clear across the room. He jumped up, charged over, and 'attacked', then ran away as she chased him.

Up to that point the kitten had initiated everything I saw them do, and genuinely couldn't tell if he was playing or not. Now I only intervene when she makes very unnatural loud squeals or she tries to initiate playing for the third time while the old man is curled up and trying to sleep.

It just takes time. It doesn't help that the old man has resting bitch face, either.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

Aw they're sweet :3:
And yeah, apparently time and patience are important with cats, I just hadn't realised how much patience would be needed. Cats are weird.
Thanks for the advice Catgoons :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats are super wierd and take a long time to come around, but it's worth it.

Even now years after adoption, Cookie who was pretty skittish for a long time, will still run away and hide under the bed if he's having too much fun attacking a toy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bought Glitch a scratching post

Looks like she enjoys it :3:
https://i.imgur.com/Q4UQJrx.mp4

Her old play boxes had to go, even though she didn't want them to

Couldn't quite get her chirping at the birds though
https://i.imgur.com/DbQ3X0B.mp4

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
what a good cat.

Is getting insurance for my pets worth it?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Now that it's dark when I get up for work, my goddamn cats keep tripping me when I get out of bed and go to the light switch. I'm sorry for kicking you guys accidentally, but stop running between my legs like a bunch of assholes. It might be time to get a wireless switch for my bedroom so I can just yell the lights on.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sefal posted:

what a good cat.

Its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. My vet told me that its more valuable to have it on a kitten/young cat as they are more prone to hurt themselves until they learn how far is too far to jump, etc.

I am a worry wart and I like knowing that I wont likely be in a position where my pet health/medical decisions are being weighed against the cost of surgery or whatever.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Sefal posted:

what a good cat.

It might be worth it. Our cats have gone to the vet for stupid stuff like eating toys or vomiting for no reason that probably would have saved us 1000$ per visit. It also means you won’t worry about the cost and take your pet to the vet right away. Look into the quotes and what is covered and what monthly premiums are. Check and see if there are any disqualifications or lifetime maximums or if rates will change if you use it. if you think you will take your pet to the vet once every other year for an emergency and the premiums are 30$/month then you would probably come out ahead.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Aight. thank you for the advice.

They are 4 month old kittens, so i'm gonna see which insurance is the best. I'm getting them spayed in 2 months. and chipped soon, which will be insured.
For chipping, does it hurt the cats? I kinda don't wanna do it if it causes them discomfort.
Even the vet isn't 100% sure what the gender of my cats are. But they are almost 100% sure they are females.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sefal posted:

I posted Rexie's tale a few weeks ago in this thread. She was a seemingly healthy cat who just had some diarrhea and then vomited one day.

If she didn't have insurance, we might have shrugged it off as "cats gonna cat, they puke all the time, let's just wait it out". But with insurance, we were like "gently caress it, the only thing they don't cover is the initial exam, and this will put our minds at ease".

It turned out to be a giant problem that requires massive diet change and medication to manage. If untreated it would likely have developed into a lymphoma of some kind. Having insurance saved Rexie's life.

As a bonus, all of her tests and surgery and biopsies and everything came to about 5 grand. We have Healthy Paws and got her the highest coverage level (the difference was minor compared to the other tiers), $100 deductible and 90% reimbursement....in the end we were reimbursed for all but about $600.

The important thing is we caught this when we wouldn't have entirely because we weren't concerned about racking up a vet bill for overreacting to some diarrhea. The day her first claim was confirmed as paid I added our other idiots to our policy.