Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'm helping my little sister by installing some additional under cabinet lighting in her brand-new kitchen. She's got one 120v light installed, and I'm daisy-chaining a couple more off it. Pretty simple, right? Go to the breaker panel and see 4 labeled kitchen circuits. She has 2 20A "kitchen GFI" circuits, a 20A fridge circuit, and then the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and lights on a single 15A. Odd, but not too bad. Flip off the lights circuit and go back to plug in my work light. Doesn't work.

Turns out the electrician who just rewired the kitchen mislabeled the breaker box. One of those 20A circuits labeled for the kitchen GFCI goes to everything in her basement bathroom. The 15A circuit has the dishwasher, garbage disposal, kitchen lights, and 2 kitchen outlets on it. Definitely not what was contracted for in the work order, and definitely more than a 15A circuit should handle.

Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

glynnenstein posted:

Here at the building I run, a pipefitter skipped a dielectric fitting on a 1.5 inch hot water heating line run off a wet tap on the main riser. This would have been back during construction in 2001 and it’s been hidden behind drywall since then. This morning at 4:13 am I got a call about our security service losing communication with the building. The fitting decided to fail and dump thousands of gallons of water into all kinds of expensive gear and my office in particular.

Not pictured is the server room which is down about $500k in gear. It’s gonna be a really long day for a few of us here.

Well, at least it was fresh water and not sewage.

glynnenstein posted:

Today is my 40th birthday!

Congrats.

Did you wish for this when you blew out your candles?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Splicer posted:

Does the company who built your building still exist, and will they still exist once your insurance is finished with them?

Absolutely. I deal with this type of thing on a daily basis. Because

Plastik posted:

...nobody knew how nobody noticed it was built in the entirely wrong place.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 26, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

spog posted:

Congrats.

Did you wish for this when you blew out your candles?

My wish is gonna be that there aren’t any more of these in the building.

Two problems here. First, that is copper threaded directly into steel. Inevitably that is going to corrode and fail at some point. If there are more of these in need to find them and change them out on a planned basis instead of mid-waterfall. You can see part of the copper pipe threads still in the fitting where they corroded and broke apart at a thin point.

An additional though more minor problem is that is a steel merchant fitting, which are usually also straight threaded. The hard steel doesn’t conform to the pipe threads like iron does, so these tend to be prone to leaking. Doubly so with straight threaded fittings. A lot of my time for the next few months is going to be walking around with a hole saw and a flashlight as I follow the prints through chases. Ugh.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I thought these stairs in this article would be more thread-worthy:

But turns out they arent too awful.

There is even storage!

http://www.contemporist.com/design-detail-patterned-flooring-helps-to-define-areas-in-this-house/

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like the design, but god, they're narrow.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Well you lot ain't going up there.

Pardon me? Why?

I mean, it's all winding stairs. I'm not being funny.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

spog posted:

A former roommate worked in an office in a hotel. One day, the sewage pipes running above her burst and showered her desk, computer, and self with dirty piss n poo poo water. She came home and called them to say she was quitting. Never went back.

Ironically, her dad owns the hotel, and is a know cheapskate dumbfuck, so no doubt it's his fault.

I had a server room flood once because the upper management of the company decided to take out the drainage rocks next to the building and replace it with landscaping, causing spring run-off to infiltrate the basement where the servers lived. Nothing was damaged because I'm good at my job, but I nearly bit the head off the person who told me to stop running and yelling for towels, because it wasn't THAT important. Nah, just cascades of water heading right for the brain center of your multi-million dollar engineering firm. NBD. Let god sort it out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A condo here decided to put a water feature on the roof of a building with a little waterfall down a couple stories into a pond. Who ever installed it for some reason thought concrete was 100% waterproof so didn't put any sort of liner or spray on it. It tooks months, but water soaked in to the building and started creating a whole heap of problems. They didn't know why at first, the water feature people said there was no way it was their waterfall, its been working fine for months, must be a leaking pipe. So they tore into the building looking for the leaking pipe. Finally they drained the water feature and it all got better , so then they had to tear that out. But the waterwall was part of an official "amenity" by the developer so could not just be scrapped. The buyers of the condos tried to go after the waterfall installer but they had dissolved since then and by this point the strata was in full ownership of the building so everyone had to pony up about 5k to gut the water feature, line it properly, and rebuild it.

Water features in contract with your structure: not even once.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I had a flood above my server room once when the toilet cold feed on the unused offices upstairs started to leak. Fortunately the concrete floor between levels had minimal holes in it so although they found the upper floor under several days inches of water, it was only slowly dribbling down the windows in my server room.

I kinda wish it had actually wrecked the gear as my company are still putting off replacing it with stiff that isn't way beyond EOL.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can switch them off, clearly it's perfectly safe.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

That's a nice looking suicide booth he's built I'd be proud of that myself.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“Slow and painful? Good choice!”

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Saw this today at my uncle's neighbor's house/duplex/apartment/tenement.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MAXIMUM EFFORT

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the gaps in the brickwork indicating foundation damage

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Its amazing to me how landlords will always, ALWAYS, shoot themselves in the foot by going with the cheapest possible option every time.

schmug
May 20, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Saw this today at my uncle's neighbor's house/duplex/apartment/tenement.

I was going to say that I hope that is in a warm climate, but then saw the dead leaves.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

schmug posted:

I was going to say that I hope that is in a warm climate, but then saw the dead leaves.

...leaves die in warm climates too?

schmug
May 20, 2007

kid sinister posted:

...leaves die in warm climates too?

fascinating

honestly though my brain does focus on cold equals leaves dropping whether it's the actual reason or not.

schmug fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 29, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sneakyfrog posted:

i like the noise metal makes when it rains :3: i love mine, and just checking that the gaskets on the screws are still good is about as much maintenance to it as i want to do

I have a metal roof that is absolutely silent indoors because we blew in a bunch of insulation into the attic when we did it.

But if you step outside (or open a window) while it's raining, you can hear the pings and whatnot.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baronjutter posted:

Water features in contract with your structure: not even once.
Two things will always win: water and time.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What, you'd take it out of the packaging? And ruin its resale value?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The facilities department won’t let us install it, and the safety department takes away our rubber door stops.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Wait what’s wrong with door stops? Edit: the safety part. We have a bunch of them around our buildings - was a lot better than trash cans and all the other assorted things people rigged up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stuxracer posted:

Wait what’s wrong with door stops? Edit: the safety part. We have a bunch of them around our buildings - was a lot better than trash cans and all the other assorted things people rigged up.

Propping open fire doors is definitely verboten.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

schmug posted:

Yeah, we get maybe one or two nights "hard" freeze a year.

schmug
May 20, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, we get maybe one or two nights "hard" freeze a year.

I assumed that was the case. Something about those pictures didn't scream tropical climate to me. Although tropical trees drop leaves too when it's dry to conserve water. Meh, whatever. I'm no tree.

Regardless, that's some hokey plumbing right there!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Propping open fire doors is definitely verboten.

And there's a correct way to do it - magnetic lockups to hold the doors open that shut off when the fire alarm is tripped.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motronic posted:

And there's a correct way to do it - magnetic lockups to hold the doors open that shut off when the fire alarm is tripped.

What do you think we are, a place that can afford to do this?: :retrogames:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That might have been leaking for a little while.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Motronic posted:

And then you get the slam slam SLAM SLAM SLAM as all the fire doors swing shut down the hall a second before the fire alarm sounds.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Would be immediately reported & assigned to me as a "sudden and accidental direct physical loss."

Shock and dismay would greet my findings of an ongoing seepage issue.

Teeth-gnashing and shirt-rending over my faulty observations and analysis would follow, and conclude with threats of legal action.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

beep-beep car is go posted:

And then you get the slam slam SLAM SLAM SLAM as all the fire doors swing shut down the hall a second before the fire alarm sounds.

Early warning system.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

And then the horror rises inside you when you realize all those slamming doors were your exit so you’re now locked inside with the fire...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, the fire’s locked in here with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bad Munki posted:

Nah, the fire’s locked in here with me
___________/