Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Oh sweet, I didn't realize that was on Netflix as well. Thanks. Broken record rings true this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

One more vote for Lockout being fun.

Another here, Pearce is an enjoyable dickhead in it and the two lead bads are also highly entertaining. I feel like Americans may need subtitles though because they're both Scottish... :v:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yo when Ito snaps the box cutter in half with his teeth did he take a few of Iko Uwais' fingers too? I can't tell

What an absolutely bonkers rear end movie.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Narzack posted:

I know it's not really an action movie, but I finally watched Unforgiven. Probably my second favorite Clint movie after Josey Wales. And, holy crap, he basically has the most cinematic face in all of filmdom.

Anyone got opinions on the 2013 Japanese samurai version? I remember reading about it when it was coming out and thinking "holy poo poo!" but then I somehow forgot it even existed until now

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yo when Ito snaps the box cutter in half with his teeth did he take a few of Iko Uwais' fingers too? I can't tell

What an absolutely bonkers rear end movie.

That was definitely one of my louder "OH poo poo!" moments, lol.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dog_Meat posted:

Anyone got opinions on the 2013 Japanese samurai version? I remember reading about it when it was coming out and thinking "holy poo poo!" but then I somehow forgot it even existed until now

It was OK, made a better trailer than a movie. Looked nice though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Eh, I mean that bit with the desk and White Boy Bobby's armor are really the only egregious examples, and they go out of their way to make the latter work by showing you that the metal plate he's wearing is big and heavy enough that he can smash someone's skull in with it.

In WBB's case, I can believe the metal is thick enough, but I can't believe that someone would make a wet floor sign out of titanium. It's cool, though, since it lets all the heroes take incredibly extreme punishment for like half an hour before they get killed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Wolf Warrior 2 is so bonkers that the fact that it's starring an actor who's birth name is Moneymaker isn't even in the top ten of the ridiculous things about this movie:

It'd have to work hard to top "Operation Red Sea" a film determined to answer the question "what if American Sniper is too nuanced and Rambo is too restrained for your audience?"

Tokelau All Star posted:

Right after The Night Comes For Us came a preview of Illang: The Wolf Brigade. It looks kind of cartoony, anyone watch it and want to report?

It's from Kim Jee Won, who did the outstanding 'Good the Bad and the Weird'

It's a very nice looking movie with some good action, and is much more interesting than the anime.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's from Kim Jee Won, who did the outstanding 'Good the Bad and the Weird'

Sold, I love that movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pospysyl posted:

In WBB's case, I can believe the metal is thick enough, but I can't believe that someone would make a wet floor sign out of titanium. It's cool, though, since it lets all the heroes take incredibly extreme punishment for like half an hour before they get killed.

Bobby is a special case anyway, with or without the armor. It seems to kinda be his thing, he's a loving nut that will just keep coming at you until you put him down with extreme prejudice. It's implied right from the beginning, he's this weird drug addict hobbling around on one foot but all the characters seem to have a reverence for him. He was clearly the guy in the old crew that served as "the crazy guy" that you need so people won't start poo poo with you or try to get over on you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
White Boy Bobby is the real MVP of The Night Comes for Us, I fuckin' loved that dude. Just a tough as nails bitter old weirdo with an extreme death drive, he should have gotten a headbutt in on that assassin before he left the movie. Real missed opportunity IMO

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It'd have to work hard to top "Operation Red Sea" a film determined to answer the question "what if American Sniper is too nuanced and Rambo is too restrained for your audience?"

I don't think it has to do any work at all considering it starts with a "one shot" scene where the protagonist fights somali pirates underwater and ends with China finding a cure for "ebola" (it's called something else in the movie):

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night I watched 48 Hours for the first time ever. I know, I know. Beverly Hills Cop 1 is one of my all-time favorite movies, and the action/buddy comedy is one of my favorite subgenres, but I just never got around to it. I even like a lot of Walter Hill's other movies!

But I was really shocked and appalled by the constant blatant racism and ugly misogyny by every single character (plus there was more homophobia than average, but it was 1981, and even Eddie Murphy's '80s stand-up has aged horribly due to that). I've never been a big Nick Nolte fan, but I was really surprised by how completely uncharismatic and unlikeable he and his character were. This guy is the top-billed lead, the co-protagonist, and he calls Eddie Murphy "watermelon" and then the n-word, and beats the poo poo out of him while he's in police custody, while Murphy is at least attempting to help him catch the bad guy. It seemed completely unearned that by the end of the movie, they were friendly, if not actual friends. Plus, I hated his stupid gravelly voice and stupider haircut.

Also, would there have been a full-on country-western redneck bar in the middle of San Francisco's Mission District in the early '80s, complete with a clientele in hats and boots (and plenty of weapons), Confederate flags on the walls, and an exotic dancer in chaps? They probably just wanted to write a scene with Eddie Murphy intimidating a bunch of white redneck assholes in a country bar, but it seems like that would never have existed in that particular setting.

I think the first Beverly Hills Cop has aged incredibly well (I was sad to watch 2 recently and realize it wasn't as good as I thought it was as a teenager), and I understand it wouldn't exist without 48 Hours. Neither would Lethal Weapon, probably, which I also love (both the movies and the show), or so many other action/buddy comedies. But 48 Hours has aged worse than just about any other action movie I can think of. What do you all think?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think one of Nolte's other collaborations with Hill - Extreme Prejudice - is better than 48 Hrs so I recommend checking that out if you haven't.

It's not quite a "modern update" of The Wild Bunch but it's hugely influenced by it right down to its own climactic final shootout scene.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Imagine if they had gotten the original pairing of Clint Eastwood and Richard Pryor.

And I think actually at the very beginning the studio wanted Clint to be the criminal, but Walter Hill nixed that and brought up Pryor with Clint as the cop.

Also, apparently Jerrod Carmichael is involved with writing a remake of 48 Hrs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My FAVORITE Walter Hill movie is Streets of Fire, and not nearly enough people have seen it. An action musical set in the '80s, but with lots of anachronistic '50s influences.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrBling posted:

Imagine if they had gotten the original pairing of Clint Eastwood and Richard Pryor.

And I think actually at the very beginning the studio wanted Clint to be the criminal, but Walter Hill nixed that and brought up Pryor with Clint as the cop.

Fun fact: the lesser-known Stallone movie Nighthawks (a crime thriller from the days when Stallone was taken somewhat seriously as an actor, or at least made choices about roles that were considered more "respectable" than, say, Over the Top) was at one stage of its early development proposed as The French Connection III which would've teamed up Popeye Doyle with a wisecracking cop played by Richard Pryor.

It didn't happen partly because Gene Hackman didn't think the Doyle character would work when teamed up with Pryor's comedy style. But if it had happened, it could have been 48 Hrs a couple of years early.

Other people involved in 48 Hrs behind the camera: two of the credited writers were Stephen de Souza, who later wrote Commando and Die Hard, among other projects, and Roger Spottiswoode, who directed Tomorrow Never Dies.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

I remember enjoying 48hrs (and the sequel) because I was 12 when I watched them during a sleepover at my friends house. (Ahh, the VHS rental days.) I do remeber the awfullness of the characters involved but not with an adult/mature perspective that would make me feel dirty. Probably better that way. Most R rated stuff from that era was, heh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Other people involved in 48 Hrs behind the camera: two of the credited writers were Stephen de Souza, who later wrote Commando and Die Hard

You forget his masterpiece.

Street Fighter.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

48 Hours is weird because like, it could have only been made as it was by Walter Hill, but it also somehow feels like Walter Hill was the wrong choice for it. There’s a pervasive grimness to it that clashes with the comedic elements.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is Nighthawks really obscure? I remember it as one of the movies that was always playing on TBS along with Roadhouse and Enter the Dragon.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Another here, Pearce is an enjoyable dickhead in it and the two lead bads are also highly entertaining. I feel like Americans may need subtitles though because they're both Scottish... :v:

We watched Lockout here last night and it was great fun. Thanks, thread friends, for reminding me of it.

As well as the aforementioned opening gag of the punch bending the cigarette, which nicely set up the tone of cartoon-ish violence to come, I also really appreciated the payoff to the ring of lockable explosives "for bulk... heads". :v:

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Finally got a chance to watch Headshot on Netflix over the weekend and was surprised to see Hirooki Goto show up in a flashback fight scene. He was great for the hot violent minute he was in it but not sure why the scene was so short as he looked awesome opposite Iko Uwais and they really went after eachother. I wonder if being a big New Japan Pro Wrestling star demands higher pay per minute for use or something.

As for the movie, lots of good stuff mixed with a few headscratchers like the whole shotgun stuff in the police HQ with the tables. It almost felt like they were still trying to come up with ways to deal with guns in their martial arts movies and most of it comes off as a bit silly unfortunately. I'm guessing that has to do with the directors not having much experience with gun play in their movies. That same shotgun was used in the forest fight scene with the baton wielding tree ninja a bit better at least.

There were a few fun ultraviolent moments in there as well. You can really see how things would evolve to The Night Comes For Us two years later. Fun watch and I really enjoyed Sunny Pang as the asian Christopher Walken.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hi action people. I just watched Hard Boiled for the first and it was miraculous. The only other pre-Hollywood John Woo I've seen is The Killer which I also liked. Please tell me what bloody, violent hyper-action-y Hong Kong flick I should watch next (John Woo or otherwise).

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hi action people. I just watched Hard Boiled for the first and it was miraculous. The only other pre-Hollywood John Woo I've seen is The Killer which I also liked. Please tell me what bloody, violent hyper-action-y Hong Kong flick I should watch next (John Woo or otherwise).

Bullet in the Head
Hard Target and Face/Off if you want a very American Woo
Killzone 2 and SPL/Killzone (no relationship plotwise to each other, just some actors are in both movies)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

A Better Tomorrow 1-3, Bullet in the Head, City on Fire, SPL 2: A Time for Consequences, Beast Cops, The Blade, Infernal Affairs, Riki-oh, Drug War, Vengeance, The Mission, Exiled, SPL, Paradox, Shock Wave, Righting Wrongs, Long Arm of the Law

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 6, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spatulater bro! posted:

Go watch Hard Target right now. It's not strictly a Hong Kong movie (being Woo's Hollywood debut), but it's top-tier Woo and top-tier Van Damme.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

WILFORD BRIMLEY SHOOTS A BOW INNIT

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I dunno, man. It's better than Blackjack, but I think JCVD (for the only time ever) brings it down a lot.

EDIT- I know someone is going to post the snake punch is response.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 6, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

That’s hosed up comparing Hard Target to a tv movie. Though for a tv movie about Dolph Lundgren being afraid of the color white Blackjack is surprisingly decent.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Well, I also like Broken Arrow more than Hard Target.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Narzack posted:

I dunno, man. It's better than Blackjack, but I think JCVD (for the only time ever) brings it down a lot.

EDIT- I know someone is going to post the snake punch is response.

He's Cajun and has a mullet and kicks everything in slow motion, the movie would be nowhere near as charming without him

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

He's Cajun and has a mullet and kicks everything in slow motion, the movie would be nowhere near as charming without him

eeeeey, piiijohn.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've found personally that Van Damme movies don't hold up, I even went back and watched Bloodsport recently and it's nowhere near as fun to watch as I remember it being when I was 8 years old. I'm not sure his movies are really much better than Dudikoff-level on average, and his screen presence doesn't do much to lift them to another level like Seagal does with some of his early movies.

Am I banned from the action thread?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Have you seen the last two Universal Soldier movies? Some pretty good JCVD in those. He and Dolph have a great moment at the end of Regeneration and Day of Reckoning is the best in the series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Double Impact absolutely holds up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

Have you seen the last two Universal Soldier movies? Some pretty good JCVD in those. He and Dolph have a great moment at the end of Regeneration and Day of Reckoning is the best in the series.

I have not but definitely I've heard good things about them. I rewatched Universal Soldier recently and thought it was ok.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Uh well Street Fighter is one of the best movies ever made, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bloodsport was probably one of the first martial arts movies I ever saw. By Hong Kong standards, a lot of the action seems both overly-staged and sloppy. There's little back-and-forth between two fighters; someone launches an attack and it either connects or it doesn't, and when it does the film overuses slow motion capture. As opposed to kung fu films where you have sequences of trapping and parrying before someone lands a hit, which marks a transition for the camera. It was weird rewatching it and realizing that almost nobody ever blocks a punch, except when both fighters are unnamed kung fu guys who I assume were used to that style.

The fighters are also weird; it feels like a Street Fighter game that is kinda-but-not-really trying to present real martial arts styles. You have Dux's friend American Barfighter Man, Sumo Man Who Just Bear Hugs People, African Monkey Man, Arab Karate Man, and Latin Kickboxer Man. (For years I assumed Muay Thai was from South America.)

It's funny that there's this cool training montage where Dux's sensei teaches him jiu-jitsu. Dux wins one fight doing just that, but almost everything else is patented JCVD kicks.

IIRC Van Damme actually had to do a lot of re-editing himself to get it into shape for the studio to be willing to release it.