Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Esc! ESC!!!!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Haha that's amazing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I swear you can actually feel the despair of the linux greybeards while looking at that picture :stare:.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If I remember correctly Cisco's Call Manager (VoIP) runs on CentOS.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

It's certainly EL. I thought it was actually red hat, but maybe not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

You are correct, CUCM runs on CentOS.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Short timers are such a conundrum. The obvious choice is just to send them home for their notice period with pay if there isn't critical knowledge transfer to be had. That way they aren't shoulder to shoulder with your other employees sowing seeds of discontent. On the other hand most of your short timers are good employees you actually enjoy and for the most part trust them to serve their time admirably.

Hr has repeatedly shot me down for sending them home early with pay. They have cited current HR policy I don't have access to.. We have an old school COO and he prefers people to work out their time. Fine whatever.

The issue I have now is that I have to battle with people over changing how they deal with short timers. Every employee is going to be different, but for the most part you need to change the way you deal with them. Its should be obvious that you can't throw bullshit work at them but every day I have spent some amount of time talking to someone who should know better about not doing this. It should be also obvious that you need to be nicer than normal as these employees aren't working under the same rules anymore. They don't need the job, they aren't worried about being written up, none of it applies. Don't evoke heated discussions at all for one, but especially not with your short timers.

Being a leader makes me feel like an expensive babysitter.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

Short timers are such a conundrum. The obvious choice is just to send them home for their notice period with pay if there isn't critical knowledge transfer to be had. That way they aren't shoulder to shoulder with your other employees sowing seeds of discontent. On the other hand most of your short timers are good employees you actually enjoy and for the most part trust them to serve their time admirably.

Hr has repeatedly shot me down for sending them home early with pay. They have cited current HR policy I don't have access to.. We have an old school COO and he prefers people to work out their time. Fine whatever.

The issue I have now is that I have to battle with people over changing how they deal with short timers. Every employee is going to be different, but for the most part you need to change the way you deal with them. Its should be obvious that you can't throw bullshit work at them but every day I have spent some amount of time talking to someone who should know better about not doing this. It should be also obvious that you need to be nicer than normal as these employees aren't working under the same rules anymore. They don't need the job, they aren't worried about being written up, none of it applies. Don't evoke heated discussions at all for one, but especially not with your short timers.

It amazes me that anybody would try to pick a fight with somebody who already put their two weeks notice in. What are you trying to accomplish here? That they're going to turn it around and really put in 110% for a company they won't ever see again in a few days?

They still have full access to the system. Don't piss them off unless you want trouble. Which is why it's always safer to just send them on their way.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

I have never had this problem with anyone anywhere I've worked

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never heard the term "short timer" before, actually need to go google it....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I have never had this problem with anyone anywhere I've worked

You've never worked somewhere where people check out after giving their 2 weeks notice, or am I misunderstanding you?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Internet Explorer posted:

You've never worked somewhere where people check out after giving their 2 weeks notice, or am I misunderstanding you?

I kind of assumed 'Short Timer' is somebody who's had 5 jobs in 5 years and you assume they're not sticking around for the long-haul. So when they put their 2 weeks notice in, it's no surprise to anyone.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I worked with a guy that put his two weeks in then used his last 2 weeks of PTO. He didn't know the company pays out PTO alwhen you leave haha

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

I worked with a guy that put his two weeks in then used his last 2 weeks of PTO. He didn't know the company pays out PTO alwhen you leave haha

States do it differently and most states really bone you on this one. Good on the company to pay it all out though. Lots of companies look pay the min.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sepist posted:

I mean, still seems like a good way to use your last two weeks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I kind of assumed 'Short Timer' is somebody who's had 5 jobs in 5 years and you assume they're not sticking around for the long-haul. So when they put their 2 weeks notice in, it's no surprise to anyone.

Nah it's someone who's given their notice and are riding out the last few days. Had a coworker who called it "short timer syndrome" when a person just obviously DGAF and has dialed their effort down to -100.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Nah it's someone who's given their notice and are riding out the last few days. Had a coworker who called it "short timer syndrome" when a person just obviously DGAF and has dialed their effort down to -100.

oof it'll be rough when I give my 2 weeks and there's no difference in work product

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Short Timer Syndrome is totally reasonable, I'm not going to start picking up projects or really throwing myself into anything that would outlast my employment, it would be counterproductive in the end.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Have you guys ever given less than 2 weeks? I gave a 1 week notice earlier this year. It was the first job where i didnt like most of the people I worked with or the culture. I had only been there for 2 months so I didnt really feel like 2 weeks was necessary

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'd have to give 2 months in my current position

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If I took a great job offer and they wanted me to start in 2 days, I'd do it. Companies aren't loyal to me so gently caress them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I mean, that's kinda fair? Why would you expect someone to go all-out when they're on the way out the door?

Inspector_666 posted:

I think Short Timer Syndrome is totally reasonable, I'm not going to start picking up projects or really throwing myself into anything that would outlast my employment, it would be counterproductive in the end.

Agreed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wasn't saying it's bad or even unexpected. Just that yes, it's a term other people use, not some weird thing Sickening made up. Since it seemed like a bunch of posters were unfamiliar with it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I wasn't saying it's bad or even unexpected. Just that yes, it's a term other people use, not some weird thing Sickening made up. Since it seemed like a bunch of posters were unfamiliar with it.

Ah, understood. I definitely hadn't heard that phrase/term before, for sure.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

They have cited current HR policy I don't have access to.

the gently caress?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I always thought it was expected that you just get half-assed effort out of someone once they give notice. They're not going to be attached to any new projects and they're going to be doing a lot of hand offs and just generally unwinding themselves from whatever they've got that's in-flight. I guess it depends on the job, but I wouldn't expect someone to be fully engaged once they give notice.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How engaged I am in the hand over is 100% determined by how much I like my co-workers and how much I hate the company.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sepist posted:

Have you guys ever given less than 2 weeks? I gave a 1 week notice earlier this year. It was the first job where i didnt like most of the people I worked with or the culture. I had only been there for 2 months so I didnt really feel like 2 weeks was necessary

Two weeks notice is a courtesy you offer the company so they can try and fill the gap. I'll give it if I can and I like my boss, but if my new employer needs me to start ASAP, then I'm starting immediately.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

the gently caress?

Yeah, that whole HR has secret, hidden policies kind of jumped out at me too.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So I work for a fairly mid-sized company and to date we have had no tracking of any of our hardware. I tried to get this done a long time ago, but was shot down. Now HR is asking questions about who we give what to. We haven't gone down the inventory/asset tracking path, but it looks like it's likely going that way. I wanted to get suggestions from you people who have used them, because I have not. We would be looking to track:

iPads
Cell phones
Laptops/Desktops
Various scanners and miscellaneous devices.

So not everything is network connected and a lot of the people work completely remotely. iPads and cell phones shouldn't be that big of a deal as we can pull info out of our MDM initially. I'm really just looking for a solid piece of software that will make tracking this stuff easy once all the initial data is dumped in. Probably cloud hosted because we've been slowly moving away from hosting anything ourselves for whatever reason, but this is something so minor I could probably convince them to just let me spin up a small VM and host it locally if I had to.

Any suggestions before I start Googling?

Edit: Oh, and for our ticketing system we already use Freshdesk. I see that freshservice has some inventory tracking, so that might be a no-brainer. Has anyone used it?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My bosses boss saw me waiting at the Starbucks in our building and started chatting with me about some of the stuff I'm working on. He can be a bit intense so I made it quick and darted out of there to the farther elevator galley. While I'm waiting for the elevator to go down he sneaks over and presses the up button. My elevator shows up first and I... let it go. I get on his elevator and make small talk about one other item, open the door for him to the floor and walk in a small circle around the conference rooms then get back on the elevator. To make it worse he saw me basically go upstairs for nothing and go back to the elevator galley.

I hate myself so much for that whole interaction.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Two weeks notice is a courtesy you offer the company so they can try and fill the gap. I'll give it if I can and I like my boss, but if my new employer needs me to start ASAP, then I'm starting immediately.

My current boss asked me several times if I wanted to start early, but I kept saying no, because that would have given my previous boss one week of notice, instead of two, and would have made my first week of work at the new job be interrupted by a vacation I had already planned. But really, I just didn't want three W2's for 2017.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

I gave notice on my last day when I quit my first job to start my new, much better job a week later.

I didn't mind burning that bridge.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sepist posted:

My bosses boss saw me waiting at the Starbucks in our building and started chatting with me about some of the stuff I'm working on. He can be a bit intense so I made it quick and darted out of there to the farther elevator galley. While I'm waiting for the elevator to go down he sneaks over and presses the up button. My elevator shows up first and I... let it go. I get on his elevator and make small talk about one other item, open the door for him to the floor and walk in a small circle around the conference rooms then get back on the elevator. To make it worse he saw me basically go upstairs for nothing and go back to the elevator galley.

Should have backed out of the room and meowed instead.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sepist posted:

I'd be embarrassed getting Starbucks too

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Every time I've left a position I've usually worked the the last two weeks which involved wrapping up my current working and maybe a knowledge transfer to my backup.

I can't speak for everyone but those last two weeks have usually been pretty busy. If even I hated the job I still wanted to leave good work behind.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Sepist posted:

Wat. 2 weeks of free time is worth more than the money you will get for that. Don't you guys get shafted on vacation time already, some time off is good for the mind and body. Here in Sweden its standard to take your PTO you have left between jobs, to get a breather.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

xThrasheRx posted:

Wat. 2 weeks of free time is worth more than the money you will get for that. Don't you guys get shafted on vacation time already, some time off is good for the mind and body. Here in Sweden its standard to take your PTO you have left between jobs, to get a breather.

I always advise people to try and schedule a start date at least a week or two after your notice period for precisely this reason. Doesn't always work depending on the job/company you're going to, but if you can get that time it's like the best vacation where you simply aren't working for a while but you have no worries because there's a new job coming up. And it helps you reset a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Methanar posted:

Its complicated.

My balls are howling at this entire thread-within-a-thread.

I'll pour some out for you. Retrospectively, of course.

Also tell Vulture to stop doxxing me with the ASMR video descriptions.