Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Freiza was an interesting fight for a few reasons; he was way above the level of everyone else in the series thus far, pushing everyone to their limit; he had multiple transformations that went from getting more monstrous to breaking the trend and becoming smaller, sleeker and more humanoid and refined (which of course established a new trend of its own) and his sheer power was part of his characterisation; part of why he loses to Super Saiyan Goku is because Goku has skill and power while Freiza is not used to having to actually put effort into fighting at at full power, resulting in him being a hugely sore loser and having a breakdown towards the end as he gets tired and frustrated. (remember that Freiza ends up cut in half with his own attack)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since I can't watch that video about multiversal saviour 17, let me bring you someone that tried to save only one planet and utterly failed at it.

I bought this bad boy (because a genocidal monster is still a genocidal monster even if he takes a stand against a bigger genocidal monster) today as a gift for myself and I am not disappointed at the amount of detail in it. Look at that broken armour. It's wonderful. According to the box, it's the Zokei Tenkaichi Budokai 5, Barduck :psyduck:

Hey, I have that same Bardock!

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 3, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If Cell lost like his upper green pieces of armor or shunk them a bit, would he be more golden batman or like slightly bug like Freeza? Because it'd be interesting if he got so strong in a transformation that he essentially breaks out of his perfect form.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i saw fusion reborn for the first time today. "dictator" getting clowned on would be a pretty good bit to show the republicans who like dragonball. i was really impressed by the animation and aesthetic for the fights with janemba's second form

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I just got back from the Bardock/Fusion Reborn trailer and had a good time, but felt misled by the "fully remastered dub" blurb in the official descriptions. I guess it only extended to including the original Japanese soundtrack and not a new dub because I got a heaping helping of raspy old woman Frieza in surround sound.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Relin posted:

i saw fusion reborn for the first time today. "dictator" getting clowned on would be a pretty good bit to show the republicans who like dragonball. i was really impressed by the animation and aesthetic for the fights with janemba's second form

Fusion Reborn is carried by two fights but it's among the best looking fights in the series. Also the comedy with the kids versus the Dictator is pretty fun.

Also the animation when Super Janemba teleports is just gorgeous.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It sure is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Relin posted:

Because remember, there's nothing as devastating as telling someone they like Yamcha, then when they say they don't like Yamcha, responding by saying how much Yamcha sucks, and how you're totally owning their Yamcha loving asses.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fusion reborn was the best z movie since like dead zone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

Because remember, there's nothing as devastating as telling someone they like Yamcha, then when they say they don't like Yamcha, responding by saying how much Yamcha sucks, and how you're totally owning their Yamcha loving asses.

What?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hes got prodormal scizophrenia

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

chiasaur11 posted:

...yes?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

This was a really good fight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always forget that in Dragon Ball, Earth is ruled by a talking dog (?) who gathered the Dragon Balls and wished to be king.

Edit: Like how every single person on Earth has been killed and then brought back to life at least once.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did he gather the dragon balls? I thought he got voted in.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He's a king...

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I always thought it was his ancestor who made the wish, and current dog king is just part of a dynasty.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never understood how wishing to rule the world is supposed to work. Does everybody just believe that you're the king? Are people magically compelled to obey you?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I've never understood how wishing to rule the world is supposed to work. Does everybody just believe that you're the king? Are people magically compelled to obey you?

Yeah it kind of doesn’t make sense especially since Piccolo effectively overthrew him.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always forget that in Dragon Ball, Earth is ruled by a talking dog (?) who gathered the Dragon Balls and wished to be king.

Edit: Like how every single person on Earth has been killed and then brought back to life at least once.

Think Baba is the only character who never been killed since Mr Satan has a death due to Frieza nuking the planet even if it was erased by Whis.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's never stated that King Furry's ancestors were the ones who used the Dragon Balls to become king, only that the first person to use them used that as his wish.

for all we know, the Furry family overthrew the first guy's tyrannical regime or something.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like to think Shenron just humored the guy and gave him a sash that said "King Earth" and called it a millennium.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favourite wish is from the movie where the guy wished for some ice to be melted.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Look man he had to go get groceries. It was a 50 year trek. :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait, how come 17 can fight against Super Saiyan Blue? He was SS1 level the last time we saw him.

Or I guess that's the wrong question to ask. :( It's one of the things that bugs me about DBS though -- it makes SSB seem like the most worthless powerup ever, given as much buildup and ceremony it had. There's just so many other fighters that got that strong anyway without harvesting the god ki or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How can a bunch of robots handle SS, the answer is don’t think about it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phenotype posted:

Wait, how come 17 can fight against Super Saiyan Blue? He was SS1 level the last time we saw him.

Same reason as Freeza - training.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

https://twitter.com/htranbui/status/1058011469755891718

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Or I guess that's the wrong question to ask. :( It's one of the things that bugs me about DBS though -- it makes SSB seem like the most worthless powerup ever, given as much buildup and ceremony it had. There's just so many other fighters that got that strong anyway without harvesting the god ki or whatever.

Working out makes you strong.

Also this was a training match, always remember that regardless of form, there's always a huge difference between Goku playing around and Goku going 100%.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Because everyone had to get beefed up for the tournament. Except for Tien because no one likes him I guess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

17 and 18 are supposed to have a perpetual energy generator inside them.

If anyone makes sense to become God level by hard work and push ups it's them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question about the various English dubs of DBZ. I'm watching the Cell Games arc and Hercule is referred to as "Hercule Satan". But when I saw it on television back in the early 00s, he was only ever "Hercule". Were there two separate English dubs or is it more likely "Satan" was just cut out for broadcast?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There are actually two english seperate dubs. What you saw was Funi's dub. There is also one that is Kai that had changed it a bit more. (also different Gohan VA as well)

Funi's dub back then had Goku be more heroic instead of the dumb coutnry hick he was. And yeah Mr. Satan was just called Hercule. Then yeah Kai changed it so that he would be Hercule Satan.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 4, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

his name is mark actually

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh right.

Mark "Hercule" Satan.

Also I forgot Nicktoons had Kai for a while and my god their censoring. Woof.

https://youtu.be/j8WLZDtIvJM?t=67

you serious, he blew up into GLITTER? hahahaha.

Of course because it was ran by the guys who did 4kids (christ that company is horrible)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to remember: there's Ocean Group, which went up as far as the Captain Ginyu fight; then Funi picked up from there and later went back and did the rest of it; but was there another? Because I remember the Ocean Group version of "It's over 9,000!" as the iconic meme one, then there's the Funi one which adds the "Rargh!" in at the end, but was there a third that kept "It's over 8,000" from the original Japanese?

It's too bad the entire series never got the Speedy dub treatment. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah actually, the DVD Kai version Vegeta says it's over 8,000.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shindragon posted:

Oh right.

Mark "Hercule" Satan.

Also I forgot Nicktoons had Kai for a while and my god their censoring. Woof.

https://youtu.be/j8WLZDtIvJM?t=67

you serious, he blew up into GLITTER? hahahaha.

Of course because it was ran by the guys who did 4kids (christ that company is horrible)

no. Satan is a stage name. His actual name is just "Mark".

Videl comments that no one has family names much anymore and that Gohan's family is an exception, not the rule.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Same reason as Freeza - training.

Well yeah, but I wouldn't think fighting a bunch of poachers should be anywhere near as good as harnessing godly ki granted to you by five other powerful fighters, then spending months (years?) training with the sensei for the God of Destruction and unlocking an even better transformation. (It is also frustrating that Frieza gets to this level by spending his summer vacation at the gym, but fine, that's Frieza, not a miniboss from the Cell Saga.) It also makes the last fight against Jiren seem weird - 17 oughta be about as powerful as SSB/Golden Frieza still, since he has unlimited energy. He should have been the best fighter out of the three, not the guy White Frieza has to save from Jiren.

CharlestheHammer posted:

the answer is don't think about it

This is definitely the answer, though.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
17 was punching way way way way way above his weight, the reason he didn't lose is because he's not an idiot like everyone else and would be sneaky and underhanded if it benefited them. Goku was in Blue when he fought him but I don't think he was actually going at that level of strength, just like when he fought Krillin.