Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Or, and hear me out, they could stop trying to adapt works that are completely unadaptable because they either cut everything out or change it to be enjoyed by dumber audiences or both.

Let Discword die with Pterry, please. We have the books. They're enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hogge Wild posted:

Why do people think that having a different opinion about elfbooks is trolling?

BotL is currently the only poster with their own containment thread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Relevant Tangent posted:

BotL is currently the only poster with their own containment thread.

Incorrect.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hogge Wild posted:

Incorrect.

Who else?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phenotype posted:

Okay, please explain this. Does Mort even HAVE a story without the "Death angle"?

No, but that didn't stop a studio executive asking. It's easy to do that when you know nothing about the property apart from the high concept, and don't care to find out because all you want to do is buy it and sell it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The most charitable reading would be that the studio wanted to further literalize the title by changing Death to just be a weird lonely funeral director with an adopted daughter. Mort the Mortician, get it, it's like poetry

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Screaming Idiot posted:

Or, and hear me out, they could stop trying to adapt works that are completely unadaptable because they either cut everything out or change it to be enjoyed by dumber audiences or both.

Let Discword die with Pterry, please. We have the books. They're enough.

Adaptations being made won't retroactively make the books worse you know. Either we'll get garbage that you can just y'know, not watch, or we'll get something good.

Like Hogfather.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SirSamVimes posted:

Adaptations being made won't retroactively make the books worse you know. Either we'll get garbage that you can just y'know, not watch, or we'll get something good.

Like Hogfather.

Oh, cool, then let's have a "punk rock" Watch show. Let Vimes become a hard-drinking gun-toting badass with a hot, young wife and let Carrot become a foul-mouthed semi-vigilante who plays by his own rules, and let's get rid of Nobby and Colon since they would ruin the drama. And why does it have to be on a disc? That's stupid, let's have it be on Earth instead, and we can have episodes dealing with real issues, like how Blue Lives Matter because that's what works well with the American demographic. Oh! And maybe a Dr. Who crossover, with some Rick and Morty jokes!

There is a goddamned reason Terry politely backed away from the Mort negotiations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, cool, then let's have a "punk rock" Watch show. Let Vimes become a hard-drinking gun-toting badass with a hot, young wife and let Carrot become a foul-mouthed semi-vigilante who plays by his own rules, and let's get rid of Nobby and Colon since they would ruin the drama. And why does it have to be on a disc? That's stupid, let's have it be on Earth instead, and we can have episodes dealing with real issues, like how Blue Lives Matter because that's what works well with the American demographic. Oh! And maybe a Dr. Who crossover, with some Rick and Morty jokes!

There is a goddamned reason Terry politely backed away from the Mort negotiations.

maybe wait to see if the thing is bad before getting very mad at it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

just living up to their nick innit?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You are getting extremely angry about things that are not happening.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sounds pretty good!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People treat Sir Terry's work as a product of sacrosanct genius, but what they're worshipping is garbage like this:

Small Gods posted:

Oncce again, there was the sensation of the universe drawing breath.

The gods appeared, transparent and shimmering in and out of focus. The sun glinted off a hint of golden curls, and wings, and lyres.

When they spoke, they spoke in unison, their voices drifting ahead or trailing behind the others, as always happens when a group of people are trying to faithfully repeat something they’ve been told to say.

Om was in the throng, standing right behind the Tsortean God of Thunder with a faraway expression on his face. It was noticeable, if only to Brutha, that the Thunder God’s right arm disappeared up behind his own back in a way that, if such a thing could be imagined, would suggest that someone was twisting it to the edge of pain.

What the gods said was heard by each combatant in his own language, and according to his own understanding. It boiled down to:

I. This is Not a Game.
II. Here and Now, You are Alive.

Not only is it sub-Douglas Adams existentialism, he loving describes things as "out of focus"!

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 4, 2018

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not only is it sub-Douglas Adams existentialism, he loving describes things as "out of focus"!

Oh No!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

precision posted:

The most charitable reading would be that the studio wanted to further literalize the title by changing Death to just be a weird lonely funeral director with an adopted daughter. Mort the Mortician, get it, it's like poetry

Oh God, no, nothing so clever. The executive was literally saying he wanted the Death angle jettisoning because death is depressing and doesn't market well.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Ccs posted:

They should get one of the real great French animation studios to do a Watch series. It’d fit better with the tone of the books and be more timeless than trying for live action

Agreed. I'd love for them to use someone like Studio Laika (Corlaine, Corpse Bride, Paranorman, Box Trolls and Kubo and the Two Strings) - they seem to capture the grotsqueries of the Discworld. Some of the background guards in Box Trolls seemed very City Watch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
god forbid they jettison the incredibly original idea of the Grim Reaper

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"Post-punk" is a weird way to describe a Watch series, but whatever, Discworld has always been charmingly weird so let's see what they come up with first.

Also it's a comedy series at the core, really weird to act like it should be something you'd need a doctorate to read?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like it bears repeating that Joe Gilgun should be cast as Nobby

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SirSamVimes posted:

You are getting extremely angry about things that are not happening.

You're reading a lot of emotion where there isn't any. If it turns out good, sweet, I might watch it.

But it won't, because Pratchett's work is unadaptable. A lot of the humor only works if you've read the other books, and a lot of it is extremely subtle and wouldn't fit well for TV show, and a lot of it is clever wordplay and quirky narration which does not translate well to film and animation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

You're reading a lot of emotion where there isn't any. If it turns out good, sweet, I might watch it.

But it won't, because Pratchett's work is unadaptable. A lot of the humor only works if you've read the other books, and a lot of it is extremely subtle and wouldn't fit well for TV show, and a lot of it is clever wordplay and quirky narration which does not translate well to film and animation.

Rubbish. Guards! Guards! was a good radio production, Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters were both fine on TV, and Hogfather and Going Postal didn't suffer at all. The only adaptation that was inferior was based on the weakest books - which ironically are also the most straightforward and easily adaptable by your standard.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
BOTL, why are you subscribed to this thread for an author you apparently think writes poo poo? That doesn't seem like a good life choice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh poo poo, BOTL was that dude. Dang, explains a lot.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You know that's not just something a camera does. It doesn't break the tone of the story.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Agreed. I'd love for them to use someone like Studio Laika (Corlaine, Corpse Bride, Paranorman, Box Trolls and Kubo and the Two Strings) - they seem to capture the grotsqueries of the Discworld. Some of the background guards in Box Trolls seemed very City Watch.

Exactly! Even if stop motion is out of their budget, something with those designs could be great. Sergio Pablos' studio is doing great work for a new Netflix feature and could do a great job on Discworld.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 4, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

You know that's not just something a camera does. It doesn't break the tone of the story.

Where's this "breaking the tone" stuff coming from? What i'm pointing out is that of all the possible ways one might describe a vision of a shining legion of gods, "out of focus" is probably the most boring choice imaginable.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Is everything okay at home, BotL?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Pratchett is very similar to HG2G, and that had a great tv show and book adaptation

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Remora posted:

Is everything okay at home, BotL?

Not since the kangaroos moved in, no.

Tunicate posted:

Pratchett is very similar to HG2G, and that had a great tv show and book adaptation

And a stellar movie :v:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Crossposted from the Elder Scrolls discussion thread:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-29-the-story-behind-the-oblivion-mod-terry-pratchett-worked-on

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJoR4vlIIs

This looks fun. And very much like they're painstakingly following the book, except adding some exposition superiors to Aziraphale's side. I mean, why not, Crowley's got Hastur and Ligur.

Jack Whitehall looks utterly transformed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I really hate being reminded/remembering that Whitehall is in it. I can’t stand him at all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, I think it looks fun. Production value is about what I've expected from a high-ish budget UKian TV series, which is fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

4 years ago today, we were robbed. Rest in hilarity, Terry. :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

4 years ago today, we were robbed. Rest in hilarity, Terry. :smith:

Was he in any way related to Robin Williams?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Was he in any way related to Robin Williams?

No, but just as hirsute. Having seen Terry with his shirt off, I can confirm he was a very furry man.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So the Librarian was a self-insert? :thunk:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do genuinely think the Librarian more so than almost anyone else, actually.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wondered why I felt extra sad today :(.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1105291218320281601

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted: