Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Krankenstyle posted:

i wrote it like that on purpose :hehe:

its alliterative ya know?

It's like poetry. They rhyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's like poetry. They rhyme.

good call, star war are the least plot-centric stories in the universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC70DRp7KE

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

They don't lose yet in the Illiad so if you take the book as a self contained universe that joke isn't valid

hector does lol

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Only paying attention to to prose style and aesthetics, and ignoring plot and pacing and story, seems to me like analyzing a bridge aesthetically but ignoring the bridge's engineering. A good bridge is both beautiful and functional.

reducing prose to mere ornamentation and elevating plot to the all-important role of 'function' is an abomination

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chernobyl kinsman posted:

reducing prose to mere ornamentation and elevating plot to the all-important role of 'function' is an abomination

that is not what ive been speaking for at all & u know it

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
*rests lips right against the mic* the words only exist to tell the story

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Krankenstyle posted:

that is not what ive been speaking for at all & u know it

I wasnt...replying to you, bud

Mrenda posted:

*rests lips right against the mic* the words only exist to tell the story

the words are the story

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

soz, chernoman

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i am the words

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the word is the lamp
w-w-word the lamp
lamp the word

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

the words are the story

The story is all the questions that are sparked as we read. The ideas prompted by dead words. The theories we come to about ourselves, about others. The understanding or doubt raised about what we live within. The author killed a part of themselves to give you that, if they were worth anything. Or, there was a bit about a talking sword. Either of those.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

learnincurve posted:

I could read this book in two hours, because that’s my reading speed, or I could have someone else read it to me over 8 hours and savour it, and yet somehow some people believe that it renders me a lesser reader or something?

Edit: someone told me that I hadn’t completed my goodreads yearly challenge properly (100 books so far)

because you didn't read poo poo you listened to it. this is like saying i saw 100 plays but all i did was read the scripts

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

oh there's like 3 pages of really bad takes and I'm not going to read them all! y'all have brain worms

jagstag fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 3, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mrenda posted:

The story is all the questions that are sparked as we read. The ideas prompted by dead words. The theories we come to about ourselves, about others. The understanding or doubt raised about what we live within. The author killed a part of themselves to give you that, if they were worth anything. Or, there was a bit about a talking sword. Either of those.

i appreciate the verbal masturbation here but there is no story apart from the words. they are not divisible elements of a text.

koo koo ka choo

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

i appreciate the verbal masturbation here but there is no story apart from the words. they are not divisible elements of a text.

I agree, to a certain extent and was being facetious about how the words only exist to serve the story. My entire point is that the actual novel, the written words exist in some half state between author and reader. The author is dead, as we well know. The reader constructs something out of the words the author killed for. What the reader constructs can be close to whatever an author intended, or far removed. However, failing illness that effect semiotic understanding, etc. the author's intent, or a decent author's intent, will be to spark ideas for the reader. To allow the reader to create from the words they put down in their word processor. A story, for me, is how something happened, maybe with some insight. The novel is much more than that. It's communicating more than simple events. It's why people say I wrote a novel (or book if you want to be vulgar.) Some people write stories, but nowadays there's a lot more to writing than telling stories.

The words, sentences, paragraphs are all elements of what a writer does. They might not stand on their own, but there's a lot more than a simple story coming from them. Or there should be.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imagine reading Lolita and disregarding the plot and the characters and just enjoying the prose in a vacuum. actually, dont imagine that.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

imagine reading Lolita and disregarding the plot and the characters and just enjoying the prose in a vacuum. actually, dont imagine that.

Shoat is such a sexy word.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Krankenstyle posted:

english majors do that on the reg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jagstag posted:

english majors do that on the reg

:whitewater:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jagstag posted:

because you didn't read poo poo you listened to it. this is like saying i saw 100 plays but all i did was read the scripts

? That’s the opposite of audiobooks.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

learnincurve posted:

? That’s the opposite of audiobooks.

are you dense? the idea is the same. just like reading a script doesn't mean you saw a play, listening to an audiobook doesn't mean you read it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jagstag posted:

are you dense? the idea is the same. just like reading a script doesn't mean you saw a play, listening to an audiobook doesn't mean you read it

Naw, I’m not buying you really believe that. By that logic no blind person has ever read a book.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

learnincurve posted:

Naw, I’m not buying you really believe that. By that logic no blind person has ever read a book.

uhh yes they can. braille is a written language

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

there's a vast difference from saying that someone reading braille isn't someone reading a book and someone saying that listening to a story teller isnt reading a book

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

that being braille is a written language that you read and audiobooks are not something that you read

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

booker samdon rappert, shiet

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Reading books and listening to audio books are both cool and people should do more of both.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

agreed.

im currently reading Knausgård and listening to Larsson at the same time. yall try it, i can decommend it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I find the jagstag quite funny tbh, if we go by sheer quantity of books read, not listened to, read, it’s like that thing with foghorn leghorn and the sparrow hawk, and I’m the chicken in the metaphor.

It’s my one talent and I don’t have a lot else to be smug about so I’ll take it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I started in on The Long Goodbye recently. It was published and is set in 1953 but it was still funny that one chapter starts with Marlowe switching on his tv to watch wrestling.

Pro wrestling has always been popular but it's strange to think of it as having been a feature of broadcast television almost since it began.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I started in on The Long Goodbye recently. It was published and is set in 1953 but it was still funny that one chapter starts with Marlowe switching on his tv to watch wrestling.

Pro wrestling has always been popular but it's strange to think of it as having been a feature of broadcast television almost since it began.

Back in that era every network (all three of them) had its own wrestling show. It was a dirt-cheap way to fill up broadcast time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I find the jagstag quite funny tbh, if we go by sheer quantity of books read, not listened to, read, it’s like that thing with foghorn leghorn and the sparrow hawk, and I’m the chicken in the metaphor.

It’s my one talent and I don’t have a lot else to be smug about so I’ll take it.

what the sam hill are you talking about

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

yeah i don't know what they mean either but it's w/e

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

learnincurve posted:

are you having some kind of ischemic event

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if the only value a story has is its narrative its not worth reading. I try to spoil every book I read and movie I watch beforehand because it allows me to focus on the craft.

I was thinking about this comment and wanted to ask whether you apply it to other media as well?

Films, television etc. of course, but what about music?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how do you even spoil music

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean in regards to spoilers specifically but rather what do you look for in music if you judge it primarily - or even solely - on the craft involved in creating it?

Are the prog rock people innately better than, say, Sam Cooke or Pete Seeger just because they are more proficient technical musicians?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ulvir posted:

now listen

*v´bb*b

bo!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwO7Rdgh-Ns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

I'd say showing someone a new song and talking over it the entire time explaining why you should like it spoils it, but not the same way that you spoil a film or novel.