Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kate posted about groverhaus on McMansion Hell this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Link you gently caress

schmug
May 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Link or Ban

dude, that is legitimately the worst page snipe ever. what in the loving gently caress!?!?!?

schmug fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 2, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

schmug posted:

Link or Ban

For what its worth, I agree with this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

schmug posted:

Link or Ban

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

edit:

https://mcmansionhell.com

Is this a well kept secret or something?
Jesus what the gently caress people

There's not even much about it, just a reference and a link to some goon's twitter.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

this is like the luxury cabin in the woods version of groverhaus

Though personally I think it applies more to this one, what with the moat and all.

schmug
May 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

edit:

https://mcmansionhell.com

Is this a well kept secret or something?
Jesus what the gently caress people

There's not even much about it, just a reference and a link to some goon's twitter.

are you retarded or something?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

A brief mention and a link is not the same as McMansion Hell posting about Groverhaus.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK yeah so, he implied there was a whole post about McMansion Hell, which we would like a link to because if you just go to the site it has that loving infuriating "load only the most recent post, scroll down forever for more, and no there's no archives link/organized post reference/anything useful for finding things besides the search function" setup.

But it turns out she just made a single reference to it in the most recent post, so there's no need for a link. She did not "post about groverhaus." False alarm, everyone calm down.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

OK yeah so, he implied there was a whole post about McMansion Hell, which we would like a link to because if you just go to the site it has that loving infuriating "load only the most recent post, scroll down forever for more, and no there's no archives link/organized post reference/anything useful for finding things besides the search function" setup.

But it turns out she just made a single reference to it in the most recent post, so there's no need for a link. She did not "post about groverhaus." False alarm, everyone calm down.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

Its amazing to me how landlords will always, ALWAYS, shoot themselves in the foot by going with the cheapest possible option every time.

Uh what if the tenant burns the building down and I get that sweet insurance payout before my poor financial planning bites me in the rear end

Your fancy "adequate, legitimate repairs" are money down the drain if that happens, genius

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

schmug posted:

are you retarded or something?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Leperflesh posted:

The permalink to each post is the date below the post title.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

if you just go to the site it has that loving infuriating "load only the most recent post, scroll down forever for more, and no there's no archives link/organized post reference/anything useful for finding things besides the search function" setup.

it's a tumblr so you can just add /archive

http://mcmansionhell.com/archive#_=_

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yesterday I went to some dude's house to check out/buy a used treadmill. It was out in his garage, which was set up with a TV, some guitar poo poo, a ton of crappy posters, and a working toilet in the corner behind the entrance door. The toilet wasn't even behind some kind of privacy barrier, and there wasn't sufficient space around the door to make one. He just had a loving toilet there in the corner of the slab.

Oh and it was full of piss.

(we did buy the treadmill).

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Yesterday I went to some dude's house to check out/buy a used treadmill. It was out in his garage, which was set up with a TV, some guitar poo poo, a ton of crappy posters, and a working toilet in the corner behind the entrance door. The toilet wasn't even behind some kind of privacy barrier, and there wasn't sufficient space around the door to make one. He just had a loving toilet there in the corner of the slab.

Oh and it was full of piss.

(we did buy the treadmill).

If it was in the basement rather than the garage, that would be perfectly normal for the Pittsburgh area.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
When I was in film school we built a bathroom set to shoot a scene in. After we took it apart one of the professors left the toilet on a wooden dolly in the middle of the cafeteria/break room. Unsurprisingly, by the next morning someone had pissed in it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I honestly hope Groverhaus goes on the market so we can see its Zillow.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
A 9000 square foot house blew up about three mile away last night and shook our house. People reported hearing the boom in Jersey.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it in the news?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania

https://6abc.com/gas-leak-causes-house-explosion-in-gladwyne/4618938/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Good to know that the family was staying at their backup mansion when this one blew up.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

Good to know that the family was staying at their backup mansion when this one blew up.

I'm going with insurance fraud. Big house, bought for $3.5M and with $1M put back into it before they tried to sell (noting more work to be done), lots of price drops and reportedly a sheriff's sale? Someone got tired of this thing.

Edit: the old listing, for context

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 5, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A 9000 square foot house blew up

rofl & lmao

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Any word on if the chicken man was inside?

Hope are things looking down on the boardwalk?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm going with insurance fraud.

It's almost definitely this. That's a seriously troubled property.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A guy in my city murdered his wife last year by blowing up his house, but he hosed it up and managed to kill himself too. It was a big enough explosion we felt and heard it miles away at our place. He also had a healthy stockpile of ammo stored there, so it was a nightmare to contain.

https://journalstar.com/news/local/...3322d10d.html#3

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 5, 2018

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Enos Cabell posted:

A guy in my city murdered his wife last year by blowing up his house, but he hosed it up and managed to kill himself too. It was a big enough explosion we felt and heard it miles away at our place. He also had a healthy stockpile of ammo stored there, so it was a nightmare to contain.

https://journalstar.com/news/local/...3322d10d.html#3

My sister lives less than a block from this. Every home in the vicinity had significant damage with several needing to be demolished.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm going with insurance fraud. Big house, bought for $3.5M and with $1M put back into it before they tried to sell (noting more work to be done), lots of price drops and reportedly a sheriff's sale? Someone got tired of this thing.

Edit: the old listing, for context
Same. I remember a story a few years ago about a couple (in indiana I think?) doing this exact thing: dude nicked a gas line to the water heater, then set some kind of appliance on a timer to turn on and create a spark. As I recall, their house-bomb ended up killing someone which drew a much deeper investigation, leading to finding out they moved practically all of their expensive/hard to replace stuff into storage before "going on vacation". Ended up getting convicted of a bunch of charges and pretty much the whole block had to be demo'd because of foundation shifts.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Yup. 80 homes damaged. Two dead. $4 million in damages.

https://qa-aws02pub.cnbc.com/2017/08/14/crime-scene-photos-from-the-richmond-hill-explosion.html

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2018/02/02/479439.htm

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Wont wish ill on people.

Best of luck to the insurance investigators, may they find the true cause.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

therobit posted:

Any word on if the chicken man was inside?

Hope are things looking down on the boardwalk?

This did not go unappreciated.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This did not go unappreciated.

drat you, now I have the Hank3 covef of "Atlantic City" stuck in my head.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

drat you, now I have the Hank3 cover of "Atlantic City" stuck in my head.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

drat you, now I have the Hank3 covef of "Atlantic City" stuck in my head.

Wow I just tried listening to that and it is horrible. Try The Band or The Boss for a more acceptable version.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

therobit posted:

Wow I just tried listening to that and it is horrible. Try The Band or The Boss for a more acceptable version.

To each his own, I guess. I've heard the original, I rather like Hank3's covers of old songs, but I accept that he's not your bag (For those of you who haven't looked him up, Hank Williams Jr.'s son is the frontman/drummer of a punk band, and sings/looks just like his grandpa to pay his bills)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

To each his own, I guess. I've heard the original, I rather like Hank3's covers of old songs, but I accept that he's not your bag (For those of you who haven't looked him up, Hank Williams Jr.'s son is the frontman/drummer of a punk band, and sings/looks just like his grandpa to pay his bills)

I actually like some of his songs, but not that one. I also like most of his grandpa's songs as covered by him. I went to a show once time and was impressed by him doing his 2 sets as Hank3, and then his metalish thing, and then his bizarre guitars over cattle auction sounds while wearing a mask with only a 20 minute break between the 2 Hank3 sets over the course of the whole evening. The dude has a work ethic, although I am pretty sure he is getting some chemical help, especially since part of his schtick is being a meth snorting hillbilly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
HOAs: not even once.

quote:

Okay, so I live in Florida. We bought a house in one of those communities where most of the homes are owned by investors and rented to tourists on Disney vacations. The tourists actually make great neighbors, they all tend to be in a good mood because they’re on vacation.

Nothing in the HOA rules/covenants/etc forbids living in your house, rather than renting it out. The area is zoned residential, our home is a single family, we have no kids, or parties, and are much quieter than the tourists. We are very, very careful about following all of the HOA rules and restrictions, because we understand that our neighbors are effectively businesses, and we don’t want to be dicks and interfere with their customers.

But no matter how nice, friendly, or rule-abiding we try to be, the HOA manager/director/crazy person will not stop giving us poo poo every single time we have to deal with her. The paint job on our house was getting old, so we popped over to the office to flip through the book of approved paint schemes. She lectured us on the fact that these homes were not intended to be full time residences.

We applied to put up a mailbox. Many of our neighbors, full time and part time, have them. She okayed the request in the end because the HOA explicitly allows mailboxes, but it took half a dozen back and forth discussions, because again she wanted us to realize these homes are not intended to be lived in, and we should not expect ‘proper residential’ benefits.

Her office is located by the community pool/store, and if I so much as dare my head in that area, she will come by to remind me, YET AGAIN, that what we are doing is NOT OKAY. Needless to say, I have taken to avoiding the place.

Having just gotten another lecture from her today when I went to drop off a form she requested all homeowners to fill out, I started wondering. Do I have any sort of legal right to live in my own home, given that it is zoned for you know, living in, and I do not expect special treatment? I have triple checked the documents we signed, and nothing in them says we can’t live here. Is there a law I can quote that will potentially make this woman just shut up and leave me alone?

We are not the only permanent residents in the neighborhood, but finding out who the others are seems to require asking LectureLady, so I have not yet gotten up the nerve to find out who they are to see if she gives them the same endless aggravation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9uhr30/is_there_a_fl_law_i_can_cite_to_get_the_hoa/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm the comments it is revealed the OP is in a wheelchair and the HOA lady forces her to listen to her lectures by bodyblocking exit ramps.