Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

KS posted:

Yup, defaultluser's argument makes zero sense. You can easily get >1080P detail out of 35mm. It's when movies started being mastered at 1080P with digital cameras that 4k conversions became pointless.

The Matrix is a really great example -- the 4k disc is a new scan of the 35mm print and it has crazy more detail. But it holds true for a bunch of 80s movies as well.

>Aliens, Back to the Future, and Lethal Weapon 1-3

None of these have been released in 4k yet.

So basically what you are saying is that I'm right, and all current blu ray releases are poo poo, even the ones released in the last five years?

Why do we need 4k remaster to get something as simple as full HD? IT's YOUR CLAIM that fails to stand up to scrutiny.

The matrix used new camera just like lethal weapon 4 and x men. Of loving course there is more detail

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tvs conform to VESA standards, shouldn't matter age difference as long as the Mount is good for the weight

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Some of the OLEDs required a custom bracket I thought.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I dunno about special OLED adapters , but

codo27 posted:

Tvs conform to VESA standards, shouldn't matter age difference as long as the Mount is good for the weight

Well there are different VESA bolt patterns you just need to check that the pattern on the prior set is the same as the new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the OLED specific mounts ended with the 2015 models. 2016 on has been VESA.

I think the only real issue is OLEDs mount low (because everything is in the bottom half) so there's a risk with some mounts that you can see them sticking out the bottom.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 8, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks so much for clearing it up. Yeah I can use my old mount then but yeah it's going to look stupid because of where the holes are so I'm going to have to lower the mount a lot. I'm gonna have some drywall spackling to do it seems.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Does anyone have any experience with the TCL 6 series? It seems to be getting pretty great reviews, especially for the price, and it seems too good to be true. If I decided to get a new TV, it'D be mainly for HDR gaming on the PS4, so that would be the main criterion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a great TV that's tempered by quality consistency. If you get a good one, is fantastic, but there can be variances in panel quality that might necessitate a return.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

CordlessPen posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the TCL 6 series? It seems to be getting pretty great reviews, especially for the price, and it seems too good to be true. If I decided to get a new TV, it'D be mainly for HDR gaming on the PS4, so that would be the main criterion.
I got the 55" Best Buy version a couple weeks ago on sale for 550+tax, also for PS4 gaming. Apparently there's a panel lottery with reports of banding or "dirty screen effect", but I've noticed neither issue in mine and it lives up to the internet hype 100%. The input lag is excellent and was immediately a noticeable improvement over my last tv. I've read that TCL has gotten better with panel consistency in their models manufactured since last June, but no idea if there's any truth to that.

My single small complaint about mine is that if you look for it, the corners are slightly darker compared to the rest of the screen but it's not something I ever notice or am bothered by while gaming. A+ would buy again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think there's an LCD in existence that doesn't have some level of vignetting. Even OLEDs suffer from it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That was on my shortlist of tvs I would buy but it got nudged off by the price, the fact I can't find one of the damned things where I want to buy, and the dse.

Honestly, if I could find a 65" one in sale for Black Friday I'd probably grab it.

I'm basically grabbing the m65 since it's the closest in quality (review wise anyway) that I can go to a store and actually look at/gently caress with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last nights Always Sunny in Philadelphia just made the OLED highlights reel. So glad I didn’t watch that in bed on my cheap TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Last nights Always Sunny in Philadelphia just made the OLED highlights reel. So glad I didn’t watch that in bed on my cheap TV.

Why do people do this without explaining what happened?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because spoilers are a thing and google exists? Not hard to go and find out man, geez.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

Because spoilers are a thing and google exists? Not hard to go and find out man, geez.

Dude really?

A.) We have spoiler tags

B.) Walking into a TV hardware thread and vaguely declaring a show, that is not known for any visually stunning set pieces, just had an episode that was worthy of OLED and then just going "welp.. bye!" Is dumb, weird and lame.

Like... Tell us about it. Otherwise what's the point? Making someone go figure it out is just needless.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's the HDTV thread and Google would have been quicker than your reply.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

That's not the point and you're being as intentionally obtuse as that guy was just trying to be intentionally vague.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What a wonderful argument to walk in on.

On the advice of the thread last year I advised my mom to upgrade to a 65" Vizio M Series. It's a great TV and I'm really impressed with it. Now it's time to upgrade my own tv and I'll probably go with a Vizio too. M or P series 65" - 75" depending on how sales are. I've got $2,000 specifically set aside, though I'd rather some of that go towards a UHD player and a sound bar. The one thing I don't like about the M series is that the built in speakers sound like poo poo, it I guess that's par the course with as thin as TVs are nowadays. Anything I should know about?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Casimir Radon posted:

What a wonderful argument to walk in on.

On the advice of the thread last year I advised my mom to upgrade to a 65" Vizio M Series. It's a great TV and I'm really impressed with it. Now it's time to upgrade my own tv and I'll probably go with a Vizio too. M or P series 65" - 75" depending on how sales are. I've got $2,000 specifically set aside, though I'd rather some of that go towards a UHD player and a sound bar. The one thing I don't like about the M series is that the built in speakers sound like poo poo, it I guess that's par the course with as thin as TVs are nowadays. Anything I should know about?

If you're going to invest that cash on a nice TV and UHD player... I'd probably also go with a nicer sound setup to be honest. I don't have the answer but am eager to see what people recommend as I'll be upgrading soon. Soundbars are ok, and I'm sure there are some nice ones... But with that setup it'd probably quickly become the weak link.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

If you're going to invest that cash on a nice TV and UHD player... I'd probably also go with a nicer sound setup to be honest. I don't have the answer but am eager to see what people recommend as I'll be upgrading soon. Soundbars are ok, and I'm sure there are some nice ones... But with that setup it'd probably quickly become the weak link.
I'll do better sound eventually I just don't feel like blowing much more than that at once. A nice soundbar will give me pretty nice sound in the meantime. I would just save that money for a better system, but I've heard the internal speakers and they're pretty crappy.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

GreenNight posted:

You know, I thought I'd test this. I googled, and still have no idea what I'm supposed to have found.

Post a goddamn screenshot, please. Spoiler if necessary.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

there was a dance number that happened to have really good black levels

It’s also the first hit on google and has screenshots. Sorry people wanted their hands held on something they probably don’t even care about.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 9, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you're gonna buy a big expensive TV and use the built in speakers (or a sound bar imo) you might as well dig out a VCR to use with it too. Invest in quality sound. It lasts

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Which I will do, later.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

there was a dance number that happened to have really good black levels

It’s also the first hit on google and has screenshots. Sorry people wanted their hands held on something they probably don’t even care about.

Nobody needs their hand held. Just don't be obtuse. If it was visually impressive on the OLED just give more detail, talk about it, whatever.. there's no need to literally say nothing about it.

On the plus side. I'm watching the episode now!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope you enjoy it, and the obtuseness of my posting helps keep it as spoiler free as possible! (I know I sometimes regret rolling over spoilers so I genuinely didn’t want to go into detail, and presumed the OLED specifity was enough to convey the kind of scene it is).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hope you enjoy it, and the obtuseness of my posting helps keep it as spoiler free as possible! (I know I sometimes regret rolling over spoilers so I genuinely didn’t want to go into detail, and presumed the OLED specifity was enough to convey the kind of scene it is).

Just finished it. Yeah that was amazing.

Although I *did* end up googling it and spoiled it but oh well still worth it!

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Please please everyone, the internet is no place for arguing

SPOILER I GUESS? I don't watch the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J6urFp8YZ0

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

BonoMan posted:

Dude really?

A.) We have spoiler tags

B.) Walking into a TV hardware thread and vaguely declaring a show, that is not known for any visually stunning set pieces, just had an episode that was worthy of OLED and then just going "welp.. bye!" Is dumb, weird and lame.

Like... Tell us about it. Otherwise what's the point? Making someone go figure it out is just needless.
Watch the last, I don't know, 5 or 6 minutes of the latest episode. If you're not familiar with the show, it'll be a huge WTF moment for you. If you do watch the show, it'll be a huge WTF moment for you, too. It's a fancy interpretive art dance number set on a black background with water splashing around, well lit, etc..

More on-topic question. Will my 2nd Generation FireTV be able to output 4K HDR? It's not the stick.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 9, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sneeze Party posted:

Watch the last, I don't know, 5 or 6 minutes of the latest episode. If you're not familiar with the show, it'll be a huge WTF moment for you. If you do watch the show, it'll be a huge WTF moment for you, too. It's a fancy interpretive art dance number set on a black background with water splashing around, well lit, etc..

More on-topic question. Will my 2nd Generation FireTV be able to output 4K HDR? It's not the stick.

4K yes, HDR I don't think so.

And yeah I watched it last night, after not having watched the show in a few years, and it was amazing.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

BonoMan posted:

And yeah I watched it last night, after not having watched the show in a few years, and it was amazing.
That's too bad. I use Kodi to stream local media from my NAS, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime Video. If I want to take advantage of HDR, I'm considering buying a Shield TV or the newest Fire TV. Not sure yet. Any recommendations?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sneeze Party posted:

Any recommendations?

ShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShieldShield

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EC posted:

I'm pretty much decided on a either a LG B8 Or C8, and with some money earned in the podcast mines I can afford either. I can't seem to find anything that explains why the C8 is more expensive, though, other than it has a newer processor.

This slipped by and I too would like to know this. I'm on the market for an OLED TV and I'd rather go for mid-to-high end quality wherever it makes a difference.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've been happy with my Shield, all of the apps on the Shield work great. I also stopped using Kodi and instead use Plex for local media. I like Kodi but it didn't offer anything over Plex and is a bit of a hassle to keep up to date compared to Plex.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
If you want to pick one up the shield without a game controller but with an echo dot is $140 right now/until the sale ends on amazon and best buy.
Black friday sales have the shield with a shield game controller for $160.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've had them all except Apple TV and I always end up at the following in order, moving down the list due to app availability or feature access.

1) Native TV app
2) Roku
3) Chromecast Ultra

I don't do local media though. My Shield collects dust. I find it to be a sub-par streamer for paid services.

The current Roku Premier is a value that can't be touched.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Samsung’s apps are so lovely that we default to roku despite some occasional video format disagreements with my receiver.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The WebOS apps on LG TVs are pretty decent and still being updated today on a 2016 TV. I go to the Roku when I need to use a TV provider app or if arc is giving me lip sync issues.

Chromecast is for quick stuff from my phone or DV stuff from Vudu (so I can get Atmos.)

I would use the Shield more if it offered frame rate passthrough, but it doesn't.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BonoMan posted:

The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K supports HDR and Dolby Vision and it's going to be like $35 starting on Sunday the 18th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Jan posted:

This slipped by and I too would like to know this. I'm on the market for an OLED TV and I'd rather go for mid-to-high end quality wherever it makes a difference.

The only significant difference is the better processor, and even that difference isn’t noticeable unless you use WebOS a lot (I do, so I opted for the C8) or want to take advantage of 120 FPS 4K resolution over the USB connection (neither model supports 120 4K over HDMI).

There are some other super minor differences like slightly improved noise reduction at lower resolutions but the two differences above are basically it.