Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jerman999 posted:

Faction control can remove all non medieval factions and mechanoid raids.

Right, but it doesn’t remove cryptosleep caskets or world quests with advanced item rewards.

You could limit yourself by removing the ability to research electricity in scenario settings, use Map Editor to set ancient danger spawns to 0, faction control to remove outlander and pirate factions, and then avoid world quests with advanced rewards... though the king of a medieval faction being the one who wields the “lightning gun” (charge rifle) wearing the “armor of the gods” (marine armor) gives it a Stargate Atlantis fun feel. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Has anyone been having issues with Hospitality guests lately? Two guests with inventories full of pemmican are just milling around my kitchen/entrance. They're not eating and not sleeping until exhausted and immediately getting up after a few hours (and not using the beds I have set for them). They don't seem to be interacting with doors unless I hold them open, but even with doors held open they're not using my beds, using a table to eat, leaving, etc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

HelloSailorSign posted:

Right, but it doesn’t remove cryptosleep caskets or world quests with advanced item rewards.

You could limit yourself by removing the ability to research electricity in scenario settings, use Map Editor to set ancient danger spawns to 0, faction control to remove outlander and pirate factions, and then avoid world quests with advanced rewards... though the king of a medieval faction being the one who wields the “lightning gun” (charge rifle) wearing the “armor of the gods” (marine armor) gives it a Stargate Atlantis fun feel. :v:

You can disable those quest incidents via the scenario editor, and you can disable "shrines" (that's what those rooms with the caskets are) via Configurable Maps

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507370392

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dude getting out of 2,000 year old sleep:

*throws up everywhere*

*sees his friends dead and a psycho in marine armor is shooting the survivors with a shotgun*

*runs towards group of people shooting the psycho, notices one of the people, a caveman, is his son somehow (??)*

*throws up everywhere*

*hits on the married woman while they're looting their buddies' caskets/corpses*

*gets rejected, throws a tantrum*

*throws up everywhere*

Later, he gets healed up and joins the community. However nobody cleaned up his vomit and blood in his bedroom. This injustice pushed him over the edge and he gives up and leaves the community. His son the caveman is tasked with arresting him, and he decides to fight back with the knife he was holding.

Son the caveman and dad the spaceman, locked in a knife fight. Caveman son wins, but collapses on his way back to the base, and bleeds out before he could get back into bed.

Here lies Bowman, done in by his idiot caveman son. In the short time he was with my community, he touched everyone's lives. Whether it be by propositioning the married woman in front of the husband or going into an indiscriminate insult rampage after going through withdrawals.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Hospitality guests lately? Two guests with inventories full of pemmican are just milling around my kitchen/entrance. They're not eating and not sleeping until exhausted and immediately getting up after a few hours (and not using the beds I have set for them). They don't seem to be interacting with doors unless I hold them open, but even with doors held open they're not using my beds, using a table to eat, leaving, etc.

I ran into that when I made their allowed area too restrictive. I reset their allowed area to unrestricted and they went back to normal. I never figured out exactly what was the limiting factor.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

jokes posted:

Dude getting out of 2,000 year old sleep:

*throws up everywhere*

*sees his friends dead and a psycho in marine armor is shooting the survivors with a shotgun*

*runs towards group of people shooting the psycho, notices one of the people, a caveman, is his son somehow (??)*

*throws up everywhere*

*hits on the married woman while they're looting their buddies' caskets/corpses*

*gets rejected, throws a tantrum*

*throws up everywhere*

Later, he gets healed up and joins the community. However nobody cleaned up his vomit and blood in his bedroom. This injustice pushed him over the edge and he gives up and leaves the community. His son the caveman is tasked with arresting him, and he decides to fight back with the knife he was holding.

Son the caveman and dad the spaceman, locked in a knife fight. Caveman son wins, but collapses on his way back to the base, and bleeds out before he could get back into bed.

Here lies Bowman, done in by his idiot caveman son. In the short time he was with my community, he touched everyone's lives. Whether it be by propositioning the married woman in front of the husband or going into an indiscriminate insult rampage after going through withdrawals.

Fallout 4?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Finally breaking down and modding out doomsday/triple rocket launchers after that last two gigantic 80 man raids each had 6 or so launchers that the raiders were very happy to drop on 20 of themselves in order to explode one colony puppy or some poo poo

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1511597470

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Loving the 2000 year old man story.

So in the last build psychopaths liked wearing human leather, at least one of mine did. This build my psycho doesn't want to wear it. Anyone know if something changed or is it another trait to prefer wearing human leather?

I butchered up a bunch of early raiders and just took the hit because hey, stuff's valuable and some human meat in case things get rough (it did).

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

Loving the 2000 year old man story.

So in the last build psychopaths liked wearing human leather, at least one of mine did. This build my psycho doesn't want to wear it. Anyone know if something changed or is it another trait to prefer wearing human leather?

I butchered up a bunch of early raiders and just took the hit because hey, stuff's valuable and some human meat in case things get rough (it did).

It's the pawns with Bloodlust who loves human leather pants and random death.

Two of theses elves are not like the others.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ok. But why aren't they all on fire?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Keeshhound posted:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

It looks like one of them at least has uh, turned into a pile of dust.

One guy is apparently happy about that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Two of them.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So last night I recruited a magically gifted person and made them into a fire mage. Meaning I now have an ice mage and a fire mage. This is my new raid procedure:

1)Ice mage throws snowball as bad guys come around PALADIN'S CORNER which damages and slows them all, making them group up just in time for

2)Fire mage throws a loving FIREBALL into the middle of them, setting all of them and everything anywhere near it on raging fire

3)Group watches them die under a hail of arrows, paladin sails into finish off any runners, ice mage makes it rain to put the raging fires out

4)Summoned minions haul corpses up to the "Terror Run," the series of caves anyone attacking from the N-NW has to go through to get to me, which means before you step into the sunlight again you'll have to crawl over 50+ rotting corpses while slowly moving past rock chunks

5)Group returns to brewing beer to support more magic

So great!

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm using that mod too now, and the ice mage in particular has a pretty cool synergy with the Nature is Pretty Sweet mod, as that mod makes rainfall give a temporary bonus to soil fertility, so on-demand rain is very nice indeed.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm using that mod too now, and the ice mage in particular has a pretty cool synergy with the Nature is Pretty Sweet mod, as that mod makes rainfall give a temporary bonus to soil fertility, so on-demand rain is very nice indeed.

It's also a big help in the Crashlanding mod. Being able to douse those fires at the beginning makes the whole thing a lot less inferno-y.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk in Space posted:

What mod?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A Rimworld Of Magic

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1201382956

clunky name but a pretty interesting and heavily fleshed out mod

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But again, as I said, hilariously overpowered. Fun, but you may need to increase your difficulty a step to not trivially obliterate any opposition.

It's not like it just gives you loads of OP poo poo, but the way you develop your magic abilities can very easily take them into the realms of far exceeding any weapon you might have access to, and gives you access to things the normal game won't, such as on-demand rapid healing.

You can, if you give them a bunch of armour and have a sufficiently powerful mage, give a pawn the ability to regenerate wounds faster than they're likely to accrue them in combat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 13, 2018

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
A Rimworld Of Magic, the icons are not great:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It's a great mod. Add in Astra Imperium to increase the difficulty. My Ice/Fire mages and Paladin couldn't handle this 124 person drop pod Chaos raid... good fun though...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cugel posted:

A Rimworld Of Magic, the icons are not great:

Do you only start with one power?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you only start with one power?

Yeah, but at one point they can train each other; everything snowball from there. The blink spell on autocast was/is also broken as far XP gains goes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there's a lot of cross class powers which you can give to anyone so you really have to exercise restraint if you don't want to end up like that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:stare: and I thought Vampire/Jedi skills got cluttered

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Danaru posted:

The vampire is the only one of the fifteen who is hiding his powers when selected in a group, he is also very broken.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Danaru posted:

I only give them powers from their class. Each class has about 5 including an ultimate ability.

Can't believe anyone has the patience to train them up in everything.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
You can't actually train up the skill levels of the spells from scrolls though, can you?

For instance I have an Ice mage that I taught Blink via scroll... but there's 3 levels of blink, each upping the distance you can blink. The spell doesn't appear in their Magic menu, so how would I go about raising that skill level? Reading another blink scroll doesn't work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't raise it as far as I'm aware, that's the perk of class versions of the spells.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm going to have to try this magic thing next game. Right after Randy murders me in this one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haven't played the game for a few versions, not sure what mods are updated or cool so hoping for some recommendations.

Looking for a mostly vanilla experience but like extra decor, extra defenses, and extra realism.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Haven't played the game for a few versions, not sure what mods are updated or cool so hoping for some recommendations.

Looking for a mostly vanilla experience but like extra decor, extra defenses, and extra realism.

These are the ones I mostly use:

Furniture, Decor, Hair
Gloomy Furniture
More Furniture
Wall Lights
Xeva's Rimhair
Chicken Mitchell Hairstyles
Spoon's Hair Mod
Ponytail is Kawaii

QoL
Run and Hide
RuntimeGC
Allow Tool

Gameplay/UI
Prepare Carefully
RimHUD
HugsLib
RimCuisine
Embrasures
Tranquilizer Guns
RT Fuse (Fuse boxes and circuit breakers).

Of these I highly recommend Prepare Carefully and RimHUD at the very least. Hope this helps!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I did a big Rimworld of Magic playthrough before 1.0 came out and I honestly came away disappointed. The magic ranges from questionably useful(a lot of the nuke spells) to game-breakingly good(summoner in general is basically a one man army/labor force, druid/paladin/priest healing spells utterly trivialize and almost instantly any injury or illness that isn't instant part destruction). It also shits up the store/loot tables with toooooons of stuff of dubious usefulness.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The scope and depth of the mods make it seem like I'm reading about a different game sometimes. It's impressive.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

I did a big Rimworld of Magic playthrough before 1.0 came out and I honestly came away disappointed. The magic ranges from questionably useful(a lot of the nuke spells) to game-breakingly good(summoner in general is basically a one man army/labor force, druid/paladin/priest healing spells utterly trivialize and almost instantly any injury or illness that isn't instant part destruction). It also shits up the store/loot tables with toooooons of stuff of dubious usefulness.

Game balance: Magic works through the power of friendship. My potential fire mage couldn't light a cigarette with that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Any decent LP series out there that serve as a tutorial/are entertaining to watch?

This guy did a whole series about surviving with nothing on an ice sheet. I think it's still going, at that. But it does teach you a lot about the game, besides being really interesting. Also it sounds like you're watching a BBC documentary revolving around a weird cannibal dude that decided it would be a great fun to train huskies and live on the ice sheet, eating visitors.

What he doesn't explain, you can usually intuit the reasoning behind (one thing I can think of is leaving out the corner blocks, which he didn't explain but I figured out the logic behind pretty quickly). Little stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUk4IzwHXcQ

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

The scope and depth of the mods make it seem like I'm reading about a different game sometimes. It's impressive.

Hence the "IP clowncar" comment earlier. Assuming my new job affords the funds, I would love to break into streaming doing a playthrough like this where I slam a bunch of crap together into a weird amalgam and see what kind of comedy I can extract from it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sten Freak posted:

Believe me, it plays like one, too.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Kanos posted:

... It also shits up the store/loot tables with toooooons of stuff of dubious usefulness.

This is about how I feel about the Medieval mod. 15 different types of each weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And gloves, and boots, and socks, and and and

Yeah I gave up again on MT, if it was just the worktables and tech advances without the gigantic excessive piles of clutter loot I'd live with it but a 60 or 80 man raid ends up being many hundreds of clutter items (all worn, mostly low quality, mostly corpse cooties) and just getting rid of it is a massive industrial pipeline sigh