Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm surprised The Black Scorpion doesn't get more love. That's a really great deep cut

Season 1 as a whole doesn't get a lot of love. I kinda get why - they hadn't quite got the formula down - but it's generally considered rougher around the edges. Also after 9 years going back to Josh's Tom Servo feels weird. I don't hate it or anything, certainly not enough to print out a giant banner to that effect, but it's slightly jarring. And I think Frank has better chemistry with Trace as the Mads. That said I quite enjoy Untamed Youth and Hercules in Love from season one - they got to do a Mamie Van Doren movie* and a Jayne Mansfield movie but sadly never a Marilyn Monroe flick.

*Maybe two. I think Mamie is in Girls Town.**
**Gigantor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Season 1 as a whole doesn't get a lot of love. I kinda get why - they hadn't quite got the formula down - but it's generally considered rougher around the edges. Also after 9 years going back to Josh's Tom Servo feels weird. I don't hate it or anything, certainly not enough to print out a giant banner to that effect, but it's slightly jarring. And I think Frank has better chemistry with Trace as the Mads. That said I quite enjoy Untamed Youth and Hercules in Love from season one - they got to do a Mamie Van Doren movie* and a Jayne Mansfield movie but sadly never a Marilyn Monroe flick.

**Gigantor!

Trace's "baby" voice for Crow is kinda off too, but I've developed a weird affection for most of season 1.

The host segments are mostly weak, but the riffing is decent.

Untamed Youth is a favorite. Moon Zero Two makes me wish Hammer did more sci-fi. Crawling Hand doesn't do much for me, but it's not actually that bad.

Black Scorpion has some borderline-offensive Mexican jokes that might make it a bad introduction.

Magic Voyage of Sinbad gets my vote for a good introduction to Joel. Boggy Creek for Mike.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Dawgstar posted:

That said I quite enjoy Untamed Youth and Hercules in Love from season one - they got to do a Mamie Van Doren movie* and a Jayne Mansfield movie but sadly never a Marilyn Monroe flick.

**Gigantor!

Hercules in Live is from Season Eleven. That said the second half of season one is more enjoyable than the first half. Moon Zero Two, Untamed Youth, Women of the Prehistoric Planet and Robot Holocaust are all good episodes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moon Zero Two is almost a good heist movie and as such I love it even without the riffing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The greatest parts of Moon Zero Two are all the times they tacked on “Moon” when naming things. Moonopoly, Moonorail, etc.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Danger! Death Ray and Outlaw of Gor are two episodes that I think would be good introductions for Mike (and are personal favorites). Great riffing and host segments, and movies that are cheesy with lots of material for jokes while still being relatively watchable.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm surprised The Black Scorpion doesn't get more love. That's a really great deep cut

The bug effects are great. It almost makes up for the mid-century casual racism (in the script *and* the casting).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr.Caligari posted:

I loved all the abusive Bing Crosby jokes.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Danger! Death Ray and Outlaw of Gor are two episodes that I think would be good introductions for Mike (and are personal favorites). Great riffing and host segments, and movies that are cheesy with lots of material for jokes while still being relatively watchable.

BartFargoBartFargoBartFargoBartFargo!

Cabot? Cabot? Cabot! CABOT!

I detect a pattern here. And yes, both great episodes and intros.

Killer Shrews would be another good one. Great short. Movie is a bit dull, but still watchable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If I was going to do an introduction to Mike, I'd have to go with Teen-age Strangler. Although is anyone truly prepared for Mikey?

Favorite riff: "I love it when you act like Der Fuhrer, honey! Let's commit the marriage act!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The bug effects are great. It almost makes up for the mid-century casual racism (in the script *and* the casting).

Willis O'Brien (the guy who animated King Kong) did the scorpion effects.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think Space Mutiny is a great entry point. The movie is interesting enough to watch on its own, and the jokes are mostly on point. Merlin's Shop of Wonders is another great one, especially in the second half when they take a horror film and try to make it appropriate for kids.

Riding With Death is also a lot of fun, and that one is helped because they took two episodes of a TV show to turn into a movie, and it is just crazy.

Finally, The Skydivers is another good entry point. You get a good short, and then you get the most watchable Coleman Francis film. It shows you how bad it can get without being too bad.

And you get a thrilling coffee related side plot. And learn the benefits of the barter system and industrial arts.

And let's not forget Petey Plane!

For the monster movie, I would say Gamera vs Guiron is my favorite. It's like the film is the perfect fit for the show. It moves at a decent pace, the movie is just bonkers, and they have fun with the song. Zigra was my least favorite, but I think that's just because the film lacked any spark and they were mostly going through the motions.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

my wife, who is not a big mst3k fan, said the first one to really keep her watching to the end was Time Chasers

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I love me some Moon Zero Two (actually hunted down the original film I liked it so much) and I've always felt a bit disappointed they didn't make reference to the fact that 100% Hubbard was played by the scientist from The Crawling Eye. Obviously this was very early in their production and too much self reference probably felt like anathema.

Which makes me laugh considering how they introduced The Brute Man..."Tell them about it Lawrence!"

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Saw The Brain in Portland, and it was fantastic. I brought my a Dad, who’d shown my the show for the first time back in the nineties, and he had a blast.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i was at the later show, and it was also real good

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

One of the strongest Mike episodes imo is the first official one, the brain that wouldn't die. It's great, but outdone by eps like final sacrifice, and space mutiny.

One of the strongest Joel eps is right before that, Mitchell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Riding With Death is also a lot of fun, and that one is helped because they took two episodes of a TV show to turn into a movie, and it is just crazy.

Along those lines one might try Master Ninja, which is as 80s as Riding With Death is 70s. It's even got Demi Moore! Who has to make out with a Van Patten, poor woman.

Similarly they might also try San Fran International and bask in the smugness of Pernell Roberts and the hilarious punching down of the kid getting a divorce. If they do not later quote "The answer, my friend, is blow it out your rear end" do you want to be friends with them?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sanzuo posted:

One of the strongest Mike episodes imo is the first official one, the brain that wouldn't die. It's great, but outdone by eps like final sacrifice, and space mutiny.

One of the strongest Joel eps is right before that, Mitchell.

Mike was pretty strong from the get-go. Season 6 is one of my favorite seasons, but I think it's because he added a new energy to it while he also had the benefit of working with experienced performers and they knew the format of the show. With Joel, it took some time. But by the end of season 2, they got their groove and could knock them out of the park.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdBCpnqFNew

The lineup for Season 12 has been announced!

Mac & Me, Atlantic Rim, Lords of the Deep, The Day Time Ended, Killer Fish, and Ator the Fighting Eagle

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 12, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Mike was pretty strong from the get-go. Season 6 is one of my favorite seasons, but I think it's because he added a new energy to it while he also had the benefit of working with experienced performers and they knew the format of the show. With Joel, it took some time. But by the end of season 2, they got their groove and could knock them out of the park.

I remember liking Mike's token efforts to escape, even if they involved phone cards or shooting Crow down the Umbilicus.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr.Caligari posted:

It's the best Season 1 got*, but it's still Season 1.

(though personally I have a soft spot for Robot Monster)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As far as introductory episodes, what about The Pumaman?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Season 6 has my all-time favorite theater crew with Mike, Kevin, and Trace. I love Bill, but his Crow never hit the same peaks as Trace’s Crow, at least for me.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

agreed, Trace is the high water mark for Crow

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mac & Me, Atlantic Rim, Lords of the Deep, The Day Time Ended, Killer Fish, and Ator the Fighting Eagle

Ator is a lot of fun because the introduction to the main character after the opening is him wanting to gently caress his sister. (Turns out she's not really his sister but he doesn't know that at the time.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is an amazing, beautiful line up of movies

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Keromaru5 posted:

Werewolf all the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzjsBU1Jqv0&t=46s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

Huh? Oh, you mean Thepuma Man?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

No, Pooma Man.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Thep-YOO-may-man.

I'm excited that this whole season is made up of movies from my lifetime, roughly. I've always loved the 70s/80s-era movies the most. It'll be so weird to see them do something from the Obama Administration, but time keeps on slippin.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Keromaru5 posted:

The Pumaman?
Does that sound right?

Gaz-L posted:

Thepuma Man?
I think that's what I mean to say.

Now it just sounds funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I am Donald Pleasence and I am funky!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
this is flying officer Donald Pleasence with the traffic report

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow this trailer was awesome, I am so excited.

Also, Werewolf has a great host song, where oh werewolf (and just a ridiculous, hilarious movie). Outlaw, also a hilarious movie had the boobular host song, which I love. The Final Sacrifice introduces us all to Canada's greatest hero: Zap Rowsdower. (is that a stupid name?)

That's my starting line-up!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is flying officer Donald Pleasence with the traffic report

♫ Burn-ing old man/singed all his flesh off ♪

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

agreed, Trace is the high water mark for Crow

I also agree with this after a lot of catching up with earlier eps (most of what I'd seen until a year or two ago were the scifi years). Trace's Crow has a wonderful high cackle when he's really amused that enchants me. Having said that I really enjoy everyone. I think I only prefer Mike because I saw him first.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They should release it as a single nine hour episode to fit the “gauntlet” theme.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Just out of curiosity, if you were tasked with programming your own six episode Turkey Day marathon, which six would you pick? I think I’d go with:

Pod People
Eegah!
Mitchell
San Francisco International
Time Chasers
Cry Wilderness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I would likely have an entirely different six if I was picking again an hour from now TBH