Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Want to do some soldering of small computer/stereo/other electronic components.

Is it worth spending a bit more for a Dremel soldering torch over a non-torch option?

Soldering Kit - $30:
https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Iron-Kit-Temperature-Desoldering/dp/B073VDX4B7/ref=lp_13837371_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1541017519&sr=1-2

Dremel torch - $36:
https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-2000-01-Precision-Butane-Soldering/dp/B00MJW08JK/ref=lp_13837371_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1541017519&sr=1-9

Do not gently caress around with a torch model unless you have to do a bunch of soldering in the field or something.

Hakko and Weller are the two big names. The Hakko FX888D is beloved by all, and I love mine, but it is kind of pricey. I don't know much about Weller. I used them a little in school, but that was a while back.

A cheaper option that I used previously and liked well enough was the Aoyue 469. Definitely not as good as the Hakko, but decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

xwing posted:

I've been happy with my Dewalt yard equipment as well. My favorite thing is to use the blower to stoke a burning yard pile. :dance:

Has Dewalt finally caught up to everyone else with regards to their batteries? I think it was a year or two ago, but they were still a generation or so behind Makita/Milwaukee/Bosch with battery strenght/duration/recharge time.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Blistex posted:

Has Dewalt finally caught up to everyone else with regards to their batteries? I think it was a year or two ago, but they were still a generation or so behind Makita/Milwaukee/Bosch with battery strenght/duration/recharge time.

this is what I thought as well. I was kind of surprised to see them mentioned on the same tier is those three.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
I've got the DeWalt 60V weed wacker. I can cut thru thick bushes with it without it slowing down. Love it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rye Bread posted:

I've got the DeWalt 60V weed wacker. I can cut thru thick bushes with it without it slowing down. Love it.

Same. I also have the chainsaw and blower and they go on for quite a long time. The 20v stuff with brushless tools also last a very long time and have great power.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I'm pretty new to woodworking but I like buying stuff that far eclipses my abilities. I did the home depot deal for for the dewalt brushless drill and driver with 2 other tools, and I got a reciprocating saw and circular saw. HOLY poo poo that battery powered circular saw blew away some cheapo porter cable corded one I picked up a few months ago. Also I guess circular saws can be left handed or right handed? I am right handed and now I can see what the blade is cutting since the saw is on the left and motor bits are on the right.

Also having a separate drill and driver is so convenient compared to having to keep switching the a drill bit and a driver bit so often. And the 60v battery kept the circular saw and drill going (I had the other battery on the driver) for like 6 hours of constant use.

I'm gushing but I feel like my life has changed.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
You sound like my dad every time my brother and I buy him a replacement tool. Yes dad, the mid tier tool made for the task you are using it for IS going to be way better than the similar but harbor freight tool made for a different purpose. Stop hammering on your plastic craftsman flathead, use this Wera instead!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

El Jebus posted:

You sound like my dad every time my brother and I buy him a replacement tool. Yes dad, the mid tier tool made for the task you are using it for IS going to be way better than the similar but harbor freight tool made for a different purpose. Stop hammering on your plastic craftsman flathead, use this Wera instead!

Chiseldrivers FTW.

I feel the same about small hand tools. For #8 and smaller hardware, it makes a huge difference which brand and how old a screwdriver/Allen key/driver you are using. Old Craftsman, a nightmare; New Wera, a dream.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
This flipped a switch somewhere in my body and now I need to start replacing stuff that I got from *my* dad 20 years ago

This is dangerous

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...ustomer_reviews

Can I use this for nailers too? I've heard only good things about california air compressors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The capacity isn't that big, so you'd need to stop regularly to wait for it to refill. But otherwise, sure, 90PSI should be enough to run a nailer. It really depends on how heavily you plan to use it. I used this compressor for some framing work, and I didn't usually have to wait for it to refill, but it has over twice the SCFM of the one you linked. It's also a lot noisier; I wouldn't want to keep it in my garage for refilling tires or whatever.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That was literally the other one I was looking at as an alternative. They're on sale today at Home Depot.

I intend to use it for some framing (sheds, decks, treehouse, etc...) but mostly for trim and furniture work (18 gauge and pin nailing.)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The California compressors are awesome. They're very very quiet, and perfect for a small nailer. I wouldn't run a framing gun off one, but they're great for trim guns.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

That was literally the other one I was looking at as an alternative. They're on sale today at Home Depot.

I intend to use it for some framing (sheds, decks, treehouse, etc...) but mostly for trim and furniture work (18 gauge and pin nailing.)

I've framed a couple of garages with that porter cable one, it worked well. I wouldn't want to have to do a lot of work with the small cali compressor but if I was just running a little fart gun it would be great

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Thanks all. As much as I'd love to have the ridiculously quiet one, I am going to need it to do things that are a little beefier. I can put up with some noise for utility. I got the PC 4 gallon one for $99.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Thanks all. As much as I'd love to have the ridiculously quiet one, I am going to need it to do things that are a little beefier. I can put up with some noise for utility. I got the PC 4 gallon one for $99.

The Porter Cable is the go to for a simple no frills compressor. I’ve had one like that, a little 1gallon Senco and used a 2gallon California Air Tools at work. After using the California Air Tools, I would absolutely pay a bit extra for one. You can actually have a conversation standing next to the drat thing vs. sustaining hearing damage next to the usual pancake compressor.

I would save up a little longer or wait for a sale or warehouse deal on one like this https://www.amazon.com/California-A...vjLL&ref=plSrch

Keepa.com is my go to price tracker for that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/sgd/d/heated-jackets-by-dewalt-size/6742439651.html

I gotta say I tried to come up with something like this years ago, but I'm impressed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

"Can charge your phone and your jacket" lmao

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve been seeing the Milwaukee ones at Home Depot lately and they don’t seem like the worst idea in the world if you’re outside working and can swap out packs regularly

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The battery adapters for the jackets are also sold separately, making it a great option for 12v electronics projects that need rechargeable batteries :sun:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

I’ve been seeing the Milwaukee ones at Home Depot lately and they don’t seem like the worst idea in the world if you’re outside working and can swap out packs regularly

Oh hell yeah, hunters, stadium goers, public servants, it's quite the notion....

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Super Waffle posted:

The battery adapters for the jackets are also sold separately, making it a great option for 12v electronics projects that need rechargeable batteries :sun:

I wish there was a way to adapt every type of battery better than buying a spare torch skin in the respective ecosystem and chopping it apart in a bandsaw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I wish there was a way to adapt every type of battery better than buying a spare torch skin in the respective ecosystem and chopping it apart in a bandsaw.

Why do you hate capitalism so much?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

3D printer?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

https://surebonder.com/collections/battery-adapter

Granted, those only adapt to Ryobi tools, and they say you'll void your warranty if you use it on anything other than their glue gun, but...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A friend of mine wants to get some hand tools and has a $200 gift certificate for Lee Valley, and was wondering what that would get him. I told him, "in the door". He was looking at a hand plane, but those are well out of his price range, and I was instead telling him to lean towards a Chisel set and sharpening stone.

Questions:

1. What set should he look at that they offer. (Lee Valley Calgary) http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/page.aspx?p=47397
2. What sharpening stone would be best? (preferably both the chisels and stone come in under $200 or close to)
3. Where the hell do you get a decent hand plane for under a month's grocery bill? (possible Calgary goons) I've been looking for used Stanley planes in the usual places online, but I think we've passed the point where they can be had for a reasonable amount, and none of the pawn shops have any. Is there a #4 style plane that people would recommend that won't break the bank? I've been reading reviews on LumberJocks, but if it isn't $500+ then the consensus seems to be "crap"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Blistex posted:

A friend of mine wants to get some hand tools and has a $200 gift certificate for Lee Valley, and was wondering what that would get him. I told him, "in the door". He was looking at a hand plane, but those are well out of his price range, and I was instead telling him to lean towards a Chisel set and sharpening stone.

Questions:

1. What set should he look at that they offer. (Lee Valley Calgary) http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/page.aspx?p=47397
2. What sharpening stone would be best? (preferably both the chisels and stone come in under $200 or close to)
3. Where the hell do you get a decent hand plane for under a month's grocery bill? (possible Calgary goons) I've been looking for used Stanley planes in the usual places online, but I think we've passed the point where they can be had for a reasonable amount, and none of the pawn shops have any. Is there a #4 style plane that people would recommend that won't break the bank? I've been reading reviews on LumberJocks, but if it isn't $500+ then the consensus seems to be "crap"
I’m seeing the American site so I dunno if all this will work in CAD, but I think the best bang for your buck on chisels/stones would be a soft and hard 8”x 2” Arkansas oil stone and 1/4”, 1/2,” and 3/4” Narex classic bevel edge chisels. There’s a set with a 1” and you save a little, but you don’t really neeed a 1”. He should have some leftover for a Narex 1/4” and/or 1/2” mortise chisel too. Oil stones are a little slower, but I think they’re easier for a beginner-no flattening, they last literally forever, and they’re hard enough you won’t accidentally gouge them if you don’t know what you’re doing. Looks like you might have to order Arkansas stones to store, but I think they’re a great value.

For metal planes, I’ve had good luck with used Sargent planes. They’re not as collectible as Stanley’s and are usually (or at least used to be) a good bit cheaper. Sometimes they have super pretty rosewood handles too. Lots of people say they’re awful, but I’m fond of Union or other maker transitional planes with the wooden sole and metal working bits. Roy Underhill uses them all the time and he knows his trade and knows imperfect tools can do perfect work. They’re usually reaaaally cheap, much easier to get the sole flat, and make a great jointer/jack plane that you won’t be too upset about if you drop it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Falco posted:

The Porter Cable is the go to for a simple no frills compressor. I’ve had one like that, a little 1gallon Senco and used a 2gallon California Air Tools at work. After using the California Air Tools, I would absolutely pay a bit extra for one. You can actually have a conversation standing next to the drat thing vs. sustaining hearing damage next to the usual pancake compressor.

I would save up a little longer or wait for a sale or warehouse deal on one like this https://www.amazon.com/California-A...vjLL&ref=plSrch

Keepa.com is my go to price tracker for that.

I've had two of the porter cables poo poo the bed on me (one dead shutoff valve, and one dead motor). YMMV but I'm done with them. Moving up for my next one.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m seeing the American site so I dunno if all this will work in CAD, but I think the best bang for your buck on chisels/stones would be a soft and hard 8”x 2” Arkansas oil stone and 1/4”, 1/2,” and 3/4” Narex classic bevel edge chisels. There’s a set with a 1” and you save a little, but you don’t really neeed a 1”. He should have some leftover for a Narex 1/4” and/or 1/2” mortise chisel too. Oil stones are a little slower, but I think they’re easier for a beginner-no flattening, they last literally forever, and they’re hard enough you won’t accidentally gouge them if you don’t know what you’re doing. Looks like you might have to order Arkansas stones to store, but I think they’re a great value.

This all sounds really good, and will suggest it to him.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I hate my corded jig saw and want to replace it with another tethered unit. Makita, Dewalt, or other?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

I hate my corded jig saw and want to replace it with another tethered unit. Makita, Dewalt, or other?

I've had a great experience so far with my corded Bosch jig saw that I've had for a couple months.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Same. I also have the chainsaw and blower and they go on for quite a long time. The 20v stuff with brushless tools also last a very long time and have great power.

Did you cross shop their 40v stuff as well? I'm in the market for a battery powered string trimmer and hedge clipper, and the variety of what they have on the market is confounding. I found one comment somewhere that the 40v stuff was marketed to "professionals" where the 20v was bottom tier homeowner, 60v upper tier.

I'm already invested in DeWalt 20v tools, so the 20/60v equipment seems like an obvious choice, but I'm kinda tough on yard tools and want a quality string trimmer that pays string easily....OTOH the price goes up sharply. I'm tempted to get the cheap 20v stuff and put a better head on it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Butch Cassidy posted:

Bosch makes a great jigsaw. The JS572 and JS470 were until recently made in Switzerland, but are made in Hungary now it looks like. The ones you buy at big box stores are probably made in China or Malaysia and still decent enough, but those two models are really great saws that will last forever.

Makita also always makes great stuff, but I have no personal experience with their jigsaws.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Bosch...JS470...

I like the look of those specs and the cast foot alone has me sold on doubling my budget. Thanks, thread! :homebrew:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've had 2 DeWalt jigsaws and each one was defective in a different way. And these were TotL tools supposedly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've had 2 DeWalt jigsaws and each one was defective in a different way. And these were TotL tools supposedly.
I love Dewalt cordless drills and chop saws and just really don't love any of their other tools. I think every brand has their strengths and weaknesses.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love Dewalt cordless drills and chop saws and just really don't love any of their other tools. I think every brand has their strengths and weaknesses.

I'm very happy with the 12" chop saw and if their batteries were more reasonably priced 12 years ago, I'd still have their cordless set too.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My corded DeWalt reciprocating saw is great since the chintzy branded blades got placed in the round file and some good blades purchased.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Makita also always makes great stuff, but I have no personal experience with their jigsaws.

A lot of their models have a clear plastic guide that likes to break if you look at it wrong, and you can't use it if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Is there a go-to thermal camera recommendation for a home gamer? I bought a house a while back and I'm realizing its going to be cold as gently caress this winter inside if I don't do some insulation work. The engineer in me wants to see before and after to understand how effective the stuff I'm doing is. Am I better off renting something or are one of the flir options that attach to my phone good enough for home use? Or is there a third option I'm not considering?