Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

90% of the time when i read the word yuribait i physically feel it like an actual punch to the gut
imo its extremely *checks notes* woke *shuffling papers* to deny any and all emotional and narrative weight to a relationship between two women because it didnt meet some arbitrary standards you made up in your head of what it should be

euphonium is entirely about messy, complicated relationships. between people who love each other, between people who hate each other, between one person who loves another and one person who doesn't love them back, between people and their art. people fall into and out of love, people's emotions go to weird places, people waffle on their feelings for each other. if it was literally JUST kumiko and reina I'd get it but there's like three separate side relationships in eupho and the staff have literally called liz and the blue bird a love story.

imo the whole yuri bait thing is just a stubborn attempt to force works that are complicated by our own biases, the creators' own biases, and society's own biases when it comes to lesbianism and recast them into something heteronormative. there's angles you can critiicize euphonium from, even along those lines, but the whole 'yuribait' thing is just a buzzword at this point, meaningless and mostly spread by assholes and idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol didnt wanna start an entire page with that, but here we are

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*claps in solidarity*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

*claps in solidarity*
your fate is now chained to mine, colonel. if we die we die together. any last words.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

your fate is now chained to mine, colonel. if we die we die together. any last words.

i will defend the combat in both nier automata and rule of rose to the death

also marona and castille are both gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i will defend the combat in both nier automata and rule of rose to the death
hm, maybe this relationship should also end with me drifting away with no resolution

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not rule of rose's fault if you got killed by the mermaid boss

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ok i'll actually only stand by my statement about marona and castille never mind that first sentence

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1062909714823106561

All this time and I never knew I was so irresistible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
these own so much, thanks for always posting
also, been playing tenno zephyr's pro skater all week, it's good fun! :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

imo its extremely *checks notes* woke *shuffling papers* to deny any and all emotional and narrative weight to a relationship between two women because it didnt meet some arbitrary standards you made up in your head of what it should be

euphonium is entirely about messy, complicated relationships. between people who love each other, between people who hate each other, between one person who loves another and one person who doesn't love them back, between people and their art. people fall into and out of love, people's emotions go to weird places, people waffle on their feelings for each other. if it was literally JUST kumiko and reina I'd get it but there's like three separate side relationships in eupho and the staff have literally called liz and the blue bird a love story.

imo the whole yuri bait thing is just a stubborn attempt to force works that are complicated by our own biases, the creators' own biases, and society's own biases when it comes to lesbianism and recast them into something heteronormative. there's angles you can critiicize euphonium from, even along those lines, but the whole 'yuribait' thing is just a buzzword at this point, meaningless and mostly spread by assholes and idiots.

Yeah maybe I used the wrong term there. I feel some mild disappointment that things aren't going the way I thought they would but I'm still interested in their dynamic over the rest of S2. Really like the show either way.

That and I find Shuuichi pretty boring :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's not rule of rose's fault if you got killed by the mermaid boss

It definitely is.

Endorph posted:

I tried reading this like three times and it ends up just meaning nothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP Reina, you were a good character and then you died.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

gently caress off and get banned

Ibblebibble posted:

That and I find Shuuichi pretty boring :v:
good news, literally nothing in the animated material has implied any sort of romance between shuuichi and kumiko

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nice, I was scared that they were gonna try and force some bullshit crack pairing eventually. Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the rest of S2.

Has there been an S3 announcement? I think I saw something about a movie continuation (not Liz).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

Nice, I was scared that they were gonna try and force some bullshit crack pairing eventually. Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the rest of S2.

Has there been an S3 announcement? I think I saw something about a movie continuation (not Liz).

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35678/Hibike_Euphonium_Movie_3__Chikai_no_Finale

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah Finale movie(s?) are incoming

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shuuichi stuff in the novels is literally just a tacked on extra released after the story is basically concluded, they can entirely ignore it in adaptation, even if they adapt the novels to the very end. Whether or not they choose to is a different matter, they've been kinda wishywashy about it in interviews, but even the original author has expressed some frustration with that whole thing not coming together the way she wanted it to. If they did adapt it, it'd probably be changed significantly in the adaptation.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will say, the girls in the show look really different from their designs in Liz.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i remember seeing stuff about how the designs changed for liz and the blue bird

i really wanna see it but there's no showings near me

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Same, I doubt it'll even be released in my country, so I'll just have to wait for the BD release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I will say, the girls in the show look really different from their designs in Liz.
Different character designers. The character designer for Euphonium is Shoko Ikeda, who also did the designs for Haruhi.

Character designer for Liz was Futoshi Nishida, who did the designs for Free and Hyouka.

Yamada (I think it was Yamada, anyway) mentioned that since Liz has a different protagonist (or, well, protagonists, in a sense) she wanted the world to 'feel' different. The blobbier designs work for Kumiko, but the characters in Liz are a little more mature and emotionally fraught, a little more distant from the world, so the wispier designs fit that a lot better.

It's honestly a really good argument for how much character designers matter, even when adapting, since Ikeda and Nishida were working off the same base designs yet wound up producing very different results.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

lol president.....

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Those were strong chapters

:cripes: president...

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Aurora posted:

i remember seeing stuff about how the designs changed for liz and the blue bird

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
you ever find out someone whose twitter you read is younger than you and vomit a little?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i cant believe twitter user woke_teen was a teen

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
nope

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DisDisDis posted:

you ever find out someone whose twitter you read is younger than you and vomit a little?

Don't go on Twitter

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cuntellectual posted:

]reads username]

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

Don't go on Twitter

where else will i get maid skaters??

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Knorth posted:

lol president.....

I missed this detail

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So when AXZ happened I had heard Symphogear got renewed for a 5th season along side AXZ.

Where's my new season, Satelight?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lmao the ending of the new meshi

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So when AXZ happened I had heard Symphogear got renewed for a 5th season along side AXZ.

april

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

April.

They never said the new seasons would be consecutive, or anything. Actually I'm pretty sure this is the shortest gap between seasons yet.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hyouka was something I really wanted to like and just couldnt get into. Mushishi was the same way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

liz's JP blurays drop around dec 5th, so not too long at least

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

yeah i hope they come back for log horizon s3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps