Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I don't see how this makes sense.

A prop that does Max of 14A, static, would do less that 14A in flight as the load decreases with airspeed.

I could see it pulling a bit more if the quad was in a descent, then quickly throttled up or angled. Essentially negative airspeed.

Most things that are thermally limited, current in general, could have a higher max if not at 100% of the time. But yes, if you just set your Radio to only output up to 85% throttle, the flight controller will still have whatever throttle (likely 95%) it's max is set to for balance and rolling/pitching on each motor. It's usually recommended to just have your radio set to send 1000-2000, and set any limits/mid points in the flight controller itself.

Had a look at the data sheet, those are good for 12A continuous, and 48A pulsed (300us). I may be reading this wrong, but it says 1.4W power dissipation, with 89C/W above ambient. AKA, that thing'll heat up to 150C on a cool summer day when going full tilt. likely even more if it's insulated by heat shrink. Napkin math, 20A*0.0078ohms=0.156V. 20A*0.156V=3.12W. 3.12W*89+25= 300C when pushing 20 amps. Under ideal conditions.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
I'm pretty sure this thread is where I heard about dronin which led me to ending up with a seppuku, so I might as well ask here: is 3D something you can set up in dronin? I tried to ask in a 3D freestyle centered discord and just got linked to a faq which was strictly betaflight only. Super helpful that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, it can do 3D, there isn't UI for it, though. You need to set the ESCs into 3D mode via BLHeli Configurator and then set the channel deadbands in the UAVO browser to 1 or 2 depending on what direction you want things to spin (tooltip should show up, if you hover the value fields). I think the BLHeli Configurator thing might be optional, because IIRC it sends the appropriate DShot commands when necessary, but don't quote me on that, only time I ever tried 3D was quickly on the bench to test the code when it was a pull request.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Instead of buying an RC gyro doodad I am repurposing a 405-OSD to stabilize a chuck glider with INav. So far it’s going swell, the 2.0 mixer is hilariously better than 1.x
Still sucks wasting s2 on single engines but whatever, I got 6 signal pads.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Would it be safe to charge this again?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Yes. As long as you mean "burn" by "charge".

So, I did a few things in the last week.

I bought an Inductrix BL. And some 650mah batteries for it. I like it, but it's a little funny in yaw, and has a gentle pull to the left, constantly. There's not a whole lot to say, other than it does what it's supposed to be.

I fixed up my Inductrix. I got the Makerfire A07 F3 board, 19kv motors, and some new JST-PH 2.0 batteries. The Makerfire board, comes with a pigtail that's far to short. I also ordered a couple new cameras, so I could mullet it. I"ll post pictures of the current build. It's a little heavy.. but I get a few minutes of flight time. And 11 batteries.

I also visited my local r/c shop. They had a FQ85 frame on the shelf. So.. $7 later I had a new frame for my Doinker. I moves everythign over to it tonight. But I need a battery strap, and to re-solder the motor leads. I think the carbon frame is going to make the thing a better quad, and able to bounce better.

..... What else? I dunno. What are you flying?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Gave the go-ahead for production of my Turbo Raven. Friend got some video of me flying it at Fall Nall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQg2Hs-UJc

This thing is the tits. Need to finish editing my own video of it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

Gave the go-ahead for production of my Turbo Raven. Friend got some video of me flying it at Fall Nall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQg2Hs-UJc

This thing is the tits. Need to finish editing my own video of it.

that thing floats pretty well for it's size!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ImplicitAssembler posted:

that thing floats pretty well for it's size!

Like the Bushmaster the approach is to make it as light as possible for its size and power system and pick airfoils, moments, etc for the reduced wing loading. It’s 1.5-2 lbs lighter than similar 70” class planes and needs about 500W less. It flies on the same components as a 60” plane which keeps costs down which is cool. Definitely my favorite design right now!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, that's pretty amazing both in the engineering and the flying. I'm not even clear on what control inputs I'd need to give to perform some of those moves, much less be able to do them without smashing the ground on the first maneuver.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CapnBry posted:

Holy poo poo, that's pretty amazing both in the engineering and the flying. I'm not even clear on what control inputs I'd need to give to perform some of those moves, much less be able to do them without smashing the ground on the first maneuver.

Thanks! I wish more people knew about 3D/XA flying and airplanes. 3D pilots and fans don’t do enough to promote it. And yeah that includes me :effort:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks! I wish more people knew about 3D/XA flying and airplanes. 3D pilots and fans don’t do enough to promote it. And yeah that includes me :effort:

I think it's too hard. I mean, I enjoy it (although I barely fly 3D anymore), but it's way easier to learn to fly a miniquad and do 'freestyle'.
Helicopters have the same issue...learning curve/cost is simply too steep in comparison to quads.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Thanks! I wish more people knew about 3D/XA flying and airplanes.
It is true, I have heard of "3D" but I didn't know what it is, leaving me to wonder when I see a video "Is that 3D?". Now I can easily tell what 3D is because I know it knocks my socks off when I see it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks! 3D is technically flying the plane below stall speed and using the prop for lift and not just for forward movement. So when it’s really slow with the nose up at 45-90 degrees that’s 3D. But in the last ~5 years it has become a catch all term for all kinds of flying that is done with a 3D plane. Lots of my flying there was precision or extreme aerobatics but most people call it all 3D now.

It seemed like it was growing a lot six years ago or so. Then FPV miniquads became a big thing and started to take some of the attention away. And yeah, it’s a much shorter and cheaper journey to the upper end of the quad game than 3D airplanes and helis. However I think some of the novelty of quads is wearing off so I’m wondering if we will see the popularity of other flying disciplines rise again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Instead of buying an RC gyro doodad I am repurposing a 405-OSD to stabilize a chuck glider with INav. So far it’s going swell, the 2.0 mixer is hilariously better than 1.x
Still sucks wasting s2 on single engines but whatever, I got 6 signal pads.
Turns out the new mixer also allows servos on S2. This 2.0 poo poo keeps getting better.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Man, I love flying stuff.

I got a burr up my butt and finally dove into the PH2.0 thing with my tiny whoop. And... a F3 flight controller. And 19kv motors. And... well there we go, I've gone off the deep end. And printing camera mounts... And a dozen batteries.

So my Tiny Whoop grew up. I also found out that there's a local r/c shop. And they specialize in quads. Oh, and they suggested that I come by and fly my stuff "whenever".

Friday night, I discovered just how horrific I was at running gates. I can fly my quads around my house, pretty well. But once you get gates involved, wow. It gets a whole lot more tricky. 45 minutes of flight time later though... and I still suck. But at least I know what needs work.

I also ordered a few bits from our favorite chinese retailer. I have a eachine revenger 55 mm frame now, and an 80mm race stack type frame. Both are proving to be tricky builds.

The 55mm frame is designed to run with this nasty little 15mm stack. And the standard stuff is 16 or 20mm. I picked up a 16mm stack. (FC and ESC... is that a short stack?) And I drilled out the holes in the decks to match. The 15mm stack also has three layers to it... I now only need two, and really just one. Not only is my setup lighter than the factory, it's even going to be smaller.

The 80mm I just bought a generic DSM 20mm stack. Which turns out to be 5mm taller than the availble space for the stack. *boggles* I can't imagine what they intended to go there, because it sure wasn't a full stack.

Oh well. Pictures will follow.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Turns out the new mixer also allows servos on S2. This 2.0 poo poo keeps getting better.
Do you iNav on anything other than a chuck glider? I wanted to like iNav (1+ year ago now) but was really turned off by the firmware churn. Lately I've seen one video of a firmware bug (lost home location) causing a near crash, plus heard other anecdotal stories of bugs.

Now that Ardupilot has much better hardware support, I'm setting that up on an F405 Wing. Such nice hardware compared to the garbage tier Pixhawks I had tried in the past.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The thing is I know fuckall about ardu-anything and I was already flying BF 3.x quads. iNav is extremely similar, but with the features I needed. The mixer used to be a legit nightmare (especially if you had fancy things like flap(eron)s) but now it’s pish and I’m not ditching it until it fucks me over.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

This is true... the iNav GUI is pretty nice. The Ardupilot team really should pick a better name and focus more heavily on getting a modern GUI.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I make no judgement either way really, iNav is just what I rightfully suspected would be easier for me.

It’s probably not great (yet) for stuff like complex missions with interactive payloads but whatevs. Kid throw plane, plane fly gud, kid happy.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
I'm about to try inav for the first time on a nano goblin. I've only been flying it directly so far, so I've been too scared to get much more than a know or so away this thing flies so great as is though.

bullets cure cops fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i love NANO GOB V and his big antenna hat

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Haha I didn't even notice what using the stickers to cover the servos did to the lettering. I guess it is now named the nano gob v.

e: no regrets wrt his big antenna hat.

bullets cure cops fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 15, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bullets cure cops posted:

I'm about to try inav for the first time on a nano goblin. I've only been flying it directly so far, so I've been too scared to get much more than a know or so away this thing flies so great as is though.

That's a 1.3g video downlink right? What do you use for control?

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Yes, it's a 200mw unit From getfpv. I'm using to frsky r9 module and an r9 slim plus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I thought 900mhz and 1.3 video was a recipe for disaster.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is it because 900 * 3 = 2700 and 1.3 * 2 = 2600, and 2600/2700 are close enough to interfere with eachother? Like how a 2.4ghz control link and 1.2ghz video halves its effective range?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

i love NANO GOB V and his big antenna hat
Same with love for NANO GOB V and his black and white cat big antenna hat.

Nano Goblins are deceptive in a way that seeing them in a photo doesn't convey just how small they are. A surprisingly good platform though and incredibly efficient. Like 15 minutes of fly time on a 2S 800mAh, and a pair of 18650 3Ah cells will let you pretty much fly the thing to the moon and back again.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's probably not great (yet) for stuff like complex missions with interactive payloads but whatevs. Kid throw plane, plane fly gud, kid happy.
How do you have this set up? I was hoping to scratch build a pair of gliders with my niece and nephew next weekend (already got all the foam cut) and I'm trying to work out how much electronics I need to bring. Just a receiver, flight controller, battery, servos? Any tips to make it braindead simple?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CapnBry posted:

How do you have this set up? I was hoping to scratch build a pair of gliders with my niece and nephew next weekend (already got all the foam cut) and I'm trying to work out how much electronics I need to bring. Just a receiver, flight controller, battery, servos? Any tips to make it braindead simple?
I bought a build kit from the fundies at flitetest, and shoved f405 fc in there. It's got a motor and ESC for weight balance and so I can get regulated 5.5v. You could use a small 2s battery and regulator instead. The FC almost pays for itself once you realize it gives you 6ch outputs from sbus.
When the kid's asleep I can put a prop+nut on it and fly it around (badly).

If there's no motor you don't even need to arm the thing, just stick it in autolevel and toss. The first time it saves itself it's like magic. If you have a more demanding airframe that doesn't like to stall you can mount the FC on a wedge so it won't try to pull up.

E: If you want to replicate it cheaply, all you realistically need is battery, receiver, fc and one servo, provided you can somehow get some form of elevator trim. You don't need yaw authority on a chuck model anyway.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 16, 2018

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
I thought not being multiples of each other I would be fine, but after doing some more reading apparently people have problems with the r9 signal overpowering the video link. Well, I'm already getting farther range than i was with 5.8, and I don't even have a notch filter or anything. I guess I'll see how it goes once I have the FC set up with rth and try going further out

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The way I’d use it would be on a surface crawler so I’m not too worried about it. Thanks.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I bought a build kit from the fundies at flitetest, and shoved f405 fc in there. ...
Thanks, that sounds about right. I didn't even think about doing just one servo, that's a throwback to a model I had as a kid that just had rudder control. I think I'm more excited about building models with them next weekend than they're going to be. Hopefully it will all come together quickly enough that they won't get bored putting the parts together and the flight is easy enough that they're not immediately discouraged.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My advice if you’re going to build with kids is to prepare a few credit card tools so they can score/cut the precut foam, and a sanding block for hinges. If you have all the electronics ready it should be fun for everyone.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just thought yall might like to know Banggood has already started their black Friday sales.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm not terribly interested in quadcopters; can the teenycube towers be used for fixed wing?

They are currently 2-for-1, which is why I ask.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Maybe? It says "omnibus" for the target, but there's no way to know how well iNav will work (or not work) until you try.

Personally I would recommend always sticking with 100% supported hardware for whatever firmware you want to run. Here's the official hardware lists for iNav and Ardupilot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I'm not terribly interested in quadcopters; can the teenycube towers be used for fixed wing?

They are currently 2-for-1, which is why I ask.
Apparently it’s been done:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2631472-iNAV-fixed-wing
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39279366&postcount=12

I don't think I'd like the 6A boards very much but you can build a *tiny* craft with those stacks.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 19, 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So.. Recomendation time.

Tell me what backpack I should get to carry my transmitter, batteries, quads, goggles...

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have a lowepro quad guard 2. It’s a very nice bag but ends up being tight for my gear: taranis really needs to be squeezed in, making the interior quad storage pocket impossible to use for a 5”. Even if you could you’d still need to remove the GoPro mount, so I usually stick a micro inside and hang my 5” on outside. In that config I carry tx, goggles, charger, tools, several bats, ride along goggles, a 2-3” quad, a 5” quad, and some parts pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Lots of people at my club have started using the "Torvol Quad Pitstop" bag, it's a really nice bit of kit.
https://torvol.com/product/fpv-quad-pitstop-backpack

I use a hobbyking one which had loads of space for everything inside.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-premium-multirotor-travel-