Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know I had long term image retention on my ST50 plasma that took months to get rid of from channel logos.

Burn in on Plasma and OLED is different. OLED is a lot more sensitive to cumulative effects while plasma could limit damage by varying content.

Basically 1000 hours displaying a logo on OLED is just as damaging if it's 1000 hours straight or 1 hour over 1000 days. Plasma is a little more forgiving in the later.

That said, OLED is much more resistant to mid to long term IR that plasma can suffer from due to better voltage regulation on the backplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone want an 82" TV?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-QN82Q6FN-Flat-82-QLED-4K-UHD-6-Series-Smart-TV-2018/

Samsung QN82Q6FN Flat 82" QLED 4K UHD 6 Series Smart TV for $2699 + Free Shipping (eBay Daily Deal)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Well, it's the nature of the beast. The best displays are emissive technologies and anything that generates its own light will age and dim.

This happens to the backlight of LCDs too.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

This test is brutal and toasted the OLED, but also compare week 1 and week 60 for the LCDs. The IPS LG TV especially undergoes pretty massive brightness and uniformity changes. There's just no hard edges or recognizable patterns to draw the eye during content.

Yeah I am not too worried. I bought a 2006 Pioneer plasma used in 2012 and even today the image still looks incredible with zero burn in and no brightness dimming. I'd honestly take it over any brand new LCD released today. It was the first and only time I ever saw a Pioneer plasma at a yard sale (and it was long after they stopped making them).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This bit I find really useful in the uniformity test.

quote:

Black letterbox bars have been displayed for over 2,500 hours. This has not caused noticeable uniformity issues yet.

So, go ahead and watch 1200 letterboxed movies on the TV, you don't have to worry about differential aging from letterboxing. The same should hold true with windowboxing for 4:3 content.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s pretty comforting at least, it’s something I’ve always had at the back of my mind since plasma days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's even more amazing about that is the 2016 models had no active compensation for differential aging.

It really points to how slowly the subpixels age if they aren't being over-driven with a static fully saturated color.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ended up getting a P series Vizio from Walmart, refurb, for 699. Couldn't pass up that big of a deal with a warranty to add on.

Granted, it's a 2017 model and doesn't have a tv tuner, but I haven't had cable or satellite for about 15? years now. Don't think the lack of it will bother me.

Now to start saving my pennies for a ps4 pro or vbov one x!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Likely a dumb question, but I don't have any experience with VA panels. I get the problem of off-angle image quality, but is that largely confined to horizontal? I will be sitting directly in front of the TV's I'm looking at (specifically Samsung NU7100) but likely slightly off-center in terms of vertical, nothing major but not dead-on. Chances are I will notice colour shifting?

Edit: oh TLC's are finally available in Canada, screw that Samsung then

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 15, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a Samsung that is noticably more vibrant when looking up at it vs down at it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Don't put your TV above the fireplace.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
How the gently caress does one remove the TV Plus app on a samsung tv? It keeps reappearing as the first app and it is killing me ahhhhh *fart*

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Protip: Don't ever use any apps on your TV and only ever press the power and input buttons on your remote.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

American McGay posted:

Protip: Don't ever use any apps on your TV and only ever press the power and input buttons on your remote.

Doesn't Netflix only do 4k via built in app on LG OLEDs?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
idk I cancelled my Netflix cause I'm poor and never use it but I'd imagine it works fine on a 4KATV. I think YouTube was the one that was fighting with Apple about content.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KidDynamite posted:

The netflix and amazon prime built in apps on the OLED both work pretty drat well. I'm sure if you have a 4k roku you can do 4k netflix on there too.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

American McGay posted:

the youtube and netflix apps, which are the only apps anyone ever really needs, are excellent and responsive on my 4K HDR LG OLED television

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

No.

Roku works fine (though it's HDR10 and not Dolby Vision).
Apple TV and Chromecast Ultra will both get you DV. Apple TV will have to select Auto refresh rate switching.

The big caveat for the 2016 LG TVs is that they can only accept DV via HDMI at 24fps (Google had to put a special fix into the CC Ultra for that). So, if your streaming device is fixed at 60hz output, the content will fall back to 1080p60 to retain DV.

In my mind, all devices that don't do Auto refresh rate switching are fundamentally broken.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

American McGay posted:

By default, when the tv turns on it plays previews and poo poo from this Tv Plus app.

I was able to delete the "channels" in the app and somehow get the tv to turn on to a plain screen, but it still has this dumb app always as the first item when you open the app menu.

Otherwise the netflix, amazon prime, and plex apps on this tv are fine. as good or better than the ones on an old firetv box we had. and the tv has youtube which the firetv did not.

i guess it shouldn't surprise me that a smart tv has bloat apps you can't remove but this is our first "smart" tv so i was shocked. lol do people root their tvs? loving christ

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Edit: nevermind

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 15, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

other people posted:

By default, when the tv turns on it plays previews and poo poo from this Tv Plus app.

I was able to delete the "channels" in the app and somehow get the tv to turn on to a plain screen, but it still has this dumb app always as the first item when you open the app menu.

Otherwise the netflix, amazon prime, and plex apps on this tv are fine. as good or better than the ones on an old firetv box we had. and the tv has youtube which the firetv did not.

i guess it shouldn't surprise me that a smart tv has bloat apps you can't remove but this is our first "smart" tv so i was shocked. lol do people root their tvs? loving christ

That sounds so poo poo, is there no menu option to force the power-on input? Even my cheap Chinese Walmart TV remembers to go to HDMI 1 on power up.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I love being able to use Netflix and Prime Video on my LG C8, tbh. They have their own buttons on the remote for easy access and I don’t need to plug in and fiddle with yet another device.

Plus before this TV I would stream on my PS4 which doesn’t offer 4K or HDR comparability.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm sure I eventually managed to never see any of the Samsung horseshit on my KS8000. Then again, I have also basically airgapped that loving thing, because I have never read a single piece of coverage about Samsung's smart TV platform that didn't go out of its way to mention that it was a security trainwreck. I keep it non-networked (save for a nearby ethernet cable for occasional firmware updates), and use an Apple TV for Netflix et al (and most channels, since iPlayer, ITV, and 4oD have most of them live).

In theory, if you use the channel number buttons or the input button instead of the power button to wake the TV up, it will jump to those things instead of whatever it feels like doing on its own.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

EL BROMANCE posted:

That sounds so poo poo, is there no menu option to force the power-on input? Even my cheap Chinese Walmart TV remembers to go to HDMI 1 on power up.

It is poo poo.

I can't remember what I did now. I think I set it to always start on antenna input and since we don't have one it gives a rather pleasant light grey screen.

I've seen rando google results say you can disable TV Plus in some service menu but after trying a few codes to get there that didn't work I've given up.

Thanks samsung

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I miss my old Samsung 30” CRT from 2005. You turned it on, it turned on. Great viewing angles, great blacks, great remote.

It weighed 42,000 pounds, of course, and was 1080i. But I wish I’d gotten it fixed when it went out. Now it just sits in the garage.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You must have a 2 bay garage

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm looking for a 65" tv, I want to buy from Costco. I use a computer on my tv a lot to browse online, youtube, etc. What should I get?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Coredump posted:

I'm looking for a 65" tv, I want to buy from Costco. I use a computer on my tv a lot to browse online, youtube, etc. What should I get?
https://www.costco.com/TCL-65S513-65-Class-64.5-Diag-4K-UHD-Roku-LED-LCD.product.100430849.html

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got a 55" UHD 4k Samsung (this model for my new house and am thinking I might want to return it to get a 65" one. For some reason, even with the brightness all the way up and the power saving settings off, it's too dark to see anything if I'm watching something that's...well, dark. In this case, it was Sabrina on Netflix - I could barely see anything on the screen.

I'm debating getting a 65" and would like to see things in dark scenes - is the TCL mentioned above still the best bet?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Medullah posted:

I got a 55" UHD 4k Samsung (this model for my new house and am thinking I might want to return it to get a 65" one. For some reason, even with the brightness all the way up and the power saving settings off, it's too dark to see anything if I'm watching something that's...well, dark. In this case, it was Sabrina on Netflix - I could barely see anything on the screen.

I'm debating getting a 65" and would like to see things in dark scenes - is the TCL mentioned above still the best bet?

The model American McGay linked is the TCL 5 series, which according to rtings.com has pretty much the exact same SDR & HDR peak brightness as your TV. They say it’s bad but I thought it was supposed to be more like “can’t show HDR highlights good enough” bad, not “can’t see anything” bad. I’m really really not an expert but that seems like maybe a problem with the unit itself.

The brightness (and most other attributes) is supposed to be much better on the TCL 6 series, but Costco doesn’t carry it and the 65" is much more expensive than the 55". The 55" TCL 6 series is often cited as a “most bang for your buck” model.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Medullah posted:

So, are you watching the show in HDR?

If so, this could be a side effect of trying to watch HDR programming on a TV that really doesn't get bright enough for HDR. On a dark show like that, the tone mapping probably compresses the hell out of the dark end to maintain highlight headroom and ends up crushing shadow detail.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

So, are you watching the show in HDR?

If so, this could be a side effect of trying to watch HDR programming on a TV that really doesn't get bright enough for HDR. On a dark show like that, the tone mapping probably compresses the hell out of the dark end to maintain highlight headroom and ends up crushing shadow detail.

Hmmm I'll have to play with it a bit.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm giving serious consideration to the TCL 55". How precarious is the panel lottery? If may have to try 5 different units before I get an acceptable one (and hey, I'm not really picky but I gotta see what's on the screen), I'll just eat the extra cost to get a brand with tighter tolerances.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Not a Children posted:

I'm giving serious consideration to the TCL 55". How precarious is the panel lottery? If may have to try 5 different units before I get an acceptable one (and hey, I'm not really picky but I gotta see what's on the screen), I'll just eat the extra cost to get a brand with tighter tolerances.

It's hard to tell, honestly. Obviously people who get burned by stuff like that are more likely to vent about it online. It also depends on how sensitive you are to minor panel issues.

I don't see any harm in picking it up and mentally limiting yourself to 'x' potential returns before going with something else.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Not a Children posted:

I've heard from some random online source I've since forgotten that a lot of the common issues with the panels have been fixed in units manufactured since last June. Anecdotal, but I bought one last month and it looks great, certainly a much better price:performance value than the Sony X900F Best Buy was trying to upsell me to.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Any thoughts on the Samsung TVs that Costco currently has on sale?

Item   9507100 Model  UN50NU710DFXZA

Seems like a decent price.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only 3 TV choices are TCL / Sony X / LG

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

American McGay posted:

The only 3 TV choices are TCL / Sony X / LG

They have an LG as well.

Item   9436500 Model  43UK6500AUA

Think I would go for the 49" though. Assume the specs are the same otherwise.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Meridian posted:

They have an LG as well.

Item   9436500 Model  43UK6500AUA

Think I would go for the 49" though. Assume the specs are the same otherwise.

He meant LG OLED and not LG LCD

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I see. Well I was asking if any of those are worth it because they are cheap right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you want a cheap tv get a TCL. If you want a tv cheaper than that then just get whatever $250 deal is out there right now. $400-600 is no man's land when it comes to TVs.