Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kchama posted:

You know, a conversation with a friend actually made me question something.

ARE Rothfuss's books popular? Like, I know there's a fandom, but it doesn't seem to have near the one that Game of Thrones has. It's known very widely ad you can talk to most anyone and they've heard of it.

Most people I mention Kingkiller Chronicle to for any reason have never heard of it, and it doesn't seem to have gotten very audible acclaim that'd cause large public awareness.

It's popular by book standards. Wildly popular by fantasy genre sales standards. But since the adaption hasn't come out yet it doesn't have much recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Compared to Gormenghast? Sure.

Compared to Sanderson or Rothfuss? It's diamonds.

Sanderson is better than Abercrombie in every way unless you want an edge lord who loves to swear and write a racist caricature evil empire.

And there is gently caress all in terms of complexity for most of the First Law characters. Dalinar has more complexity than pretty much anyone in that series.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ccs posted:

It's popular by book standards. Wildly popular by fantasy genre sales standards. But since the adaption hasn't come out yet it doesn't have much recognition.

How well does fantasy sell, as a whole? Or rather, just how popular can all that non-genre trash, or airport fiction genre, whatever, actually be?

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

BananaNutkins posted:

If I'm just looking for a good time, I'd rather read a new Abercrombie or Sanderson than something "literary" like Ursula Le Guin or whatever.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
that wasn't a good emptyquote btw

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The soda/wine analogy really breaks down when the Sanderson book is 1200 pages long and the Le Guin 200 pages.

Also love the idea of Le Guin perched in the top of her literary ivory tower.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wheeee posted:

How well does fantasy sell, as a whole? Or rather, just how popular can all that non-genre trash, or airport fiction genre, whatever, actually be?

The stats I can find say Sci-Fi/Fantasy is 8% of the market. It's risen above the Mystery genre, which is around 7%, but is dwarfed by Romance at 21%.

The Kingkiller books sold 10 million copies so far. A lot of other series have beaten it in sales, but a lot of those series have a LOT more books. For comparison, the Sword of Truth series (20 volumes) has sold 25 million in total. So way more people have read Rothfuss' work.

Anyway you can really tell how much Rothfuss drew on his interminable time in undergrad to write this book, a series which is about :

-How hard it was to pay his student loans in college
-That one guy in school he hated who was an rear end in a top hat for no reason
-How much it sucked that the girl he liked dated other guys, even though he never asked her out
-His work-study job making lamps
-The cultures he appropriated during his gap year

It's no wonder this book is a hit with college students and why I enjoyed reading it in freshman year.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 17, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I was trying to be nice earlier and not really get into the issue, but I genuinely do not understand how someone can be so averse to thought that friggin' A Wizard of Earthsea is a more intimidating undertaking than a doorstop like Oathbringer. Le Guin is hardly a demanding author, but 1,248 pages of Sanderson is apparently a safer bet for "a good time" because there isn't even the threat of having to engage with any ideas of substance.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sanderson is better than Abercrombie in every way unless you want an edge lord who loves to swear and write a racist caricature evil empire.

And there is gently caress all in terms of complexity for most of the First Law characters. Dalinar has more complexity than pretty much anyone in that series.

Dalinar is not complex. A character is not automatically complex because a bunch of random poo poo happens to them. Shallan is not complex because she has three personalities crammed into a bad pun machine body. In the same way that Rothfuss has these naive views about women- attempting to champion feminism while constantly putting his foot in his mouth- Sanderson's characters reveal that he is naive about all kinds of poo poo and just beginning to work through it. Watching his character's stumble through awkward conversations about it being okay to be gay or transgendered or whatever social issue he most recently figured out Mormons were wrong about is loving painful.

When it comes to emotional development, Sanderson/Rothfuss are doing a lot of algebra. They are great at alegbra, don't get me wrong. But, I was really looking for some calculus.

In this stupid math metaphor, Abercrombie is obvious doing Trig.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Every reason you just used for major stormlight characters are the same sort of surface level criticism that can be leveled at Ged in earthsea?

Its another good book, but Le Guin isn't some height of literary genius for it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't tell what you think people are talking about.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dalinar is not complex. A character is not automatically complex because a bunch of random poo poo happens to them. Shallan is not complex because she has three personalities crammed into a bad pun machine body. In the same way that Rothfuss has these naive views about women- attempting to champion feminism while constantly putting his foot in his mouth- Sanderson's characters reveal that he is naive about all kinds of poo poo and just beginning to work through it. Watching his character's stumble through awkward conversations about it being okay to be gay or transgendered or whatever social issue he most recently figured out Mormons were wrong about is loving painful.

When it comes to emotional development, Sanderson/Rothfuss are doing a lot of algebra. They are great at alegbra, don't get me wrong. But, I was really looking for some calculus.

In this stupid math metaphor, Abercrombie is obvious doing Trig.

How would you rate Hrathen?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Torrannor posted:

How would you rate Hrathen?

I would rate Elantris one of the most boring books I've ever read.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I was trying to be nice earlier and not really get into the issue, but I genuinely do not understand how someone can be so averse to thought that friggin' A Wizard of Earthsea is a more intimidating undertaking than a doorstop like Oathbringer. Le Guin is hardly a demanding author, but 1,248 pages of Sanderson is apparently a safer bet for "a good time" because there isn't even the threat of having to engage with any ideas of substance.

I personally like longer books and having to invest more time to read them. Why? I don’t quite know the answer to that. If Le Guin is ~200 pages, it wouldn’t hold my interest long enough to be worth it, regardless of the quality.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

I personally like longer books and having to invest more time to read them. Why? I don’t quite know the answer to that. If Le Guin is ~200 pages, it wouldn’t hold my interest long enough to be worth it, regardless of the quality.

Do the first two hundred pages of a long book not hold your interest? You could just read it six times in a row and probably get the same experience.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
There's a bit of masochism in most readers who love epic fantasy. No one sane will admit to loving every part of the Wheel of Time. It's a journey full of memorable suffering, like the Camino de Santigo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ah yes the suffering of walking through spain

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I mostly like Abercrombie because his writing is a lot funnier than Rothfuss or Sanderson, whose characters are so self important.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

latinotwink1997 posted:

God why are fantasy readers such size queens?

An 8-inch monster cock isn’t better than a 5 inch dick if the 8-incher thinks a clitoris is a kind of Pokémon and the 5-inch guy gives awesome head.

Doctor Faustine fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 17, 2018

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

CestMoi posted:

ah yes the suffering of walking through spain

The true believers do it in stilletos like the saints of old.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Faustine posted:

An 8-inch monster cock isn’t better than a 5 inch dick if the 8-incher thinks a clitoris is a kind of Pokémon and the 5-inch guy gives awesome head.
She's still not coming back.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

latinotwink1997 posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
that wasn't a good emptyquote either btw

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Faustine posted:

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh i'm just dismayed by the whole lot of you

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
who even raised you people

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's still not coming back.

That would be funnier if I was actually a dude.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Self-quoting because I can't be bothered to rewrite the exact same idea here.

Doctor Faustine posted:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The difference between science fiction and fantasy is that science fiction (ideally) asks a big ol' what-if question and tries to answer it, while fantasy is (or has come to be) about immersing the reader in a "realm". One's about getting to the point; the other's about dragging its feet while taking the most scenic route possible. This is why SF novels are all 200-300 pages long while fantasy novels are thousand-page installments in a trilogy at minimum.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Do the first two hundred pages of a long book not hold your interest? You could just read it six times in a row and probably get the same experience.

To me, if a story can be told in only two hundred pages, there isn’t enough build up and engaging elements to be of interest.

BananaNutkins posted:

There's a bit of masochism in most readers who love epic fantasy. No one sane will admit to loving every part of the Wheel of Time. It's a journey full of memorable suffering, like the Camino de Santigo.

Also this.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

latinotwink1997 posted:

To me, if a story can be told in only two hundred pages, there isn’t enough build up and engaging elements to be of interest.

Well that's certainly something.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
what th gently caress

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

More really isn't better though.

Half the poo poo in an epic fantasy novel is just pointless padding for crap like character descriptions, elven culture that goes into detail about how they worship trees, defining bullshit made-up words (because Tolkien did it), and thesaurus abuse.

Ok, fine, don't believe me? Let's open up some Robert Jordan, specifically, the prologue of The Eye of the World. There's a LOT of repetitive cruft, unnecessary character description, and generally not great prose that could probably be made shorter - and I would consider this some of Jordan's more concise writing.

Robert Jordan posted:

The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. Bars of sunlight cast through rents in the walls made motes of dust glitter where they yet hung in the air. Scorch-marks marred the walls, the floors, the ceilings. Broad black smears crossed the blistered paints and gild of once-bright murals, soot overlaying crumbling friezes of men and animals which seemed to have attempted to walk before the madness grew quiet. The dead lay everywhere, men and women and children, struck down in attempted flight by the lightnings that had flashed down every corridor, or seized by the fires that had stalked them, or sunken into stone of the palace, the stones that had flowed and sought, almost alive, before stillness came again. In odd counterpoint, colorful tapestries and paintings, masterworks all, hung undisturbed except where bulging walls had pushed them awry. Finely carved furnishings, inlaid with ivory and gold, stood untouched except where rippling floors had toppled them. The mind-twisting had struck at the core, ignoring peripheral things.

Look at all the redundancy and unnecessary detail. We need to convey that this is a wrecked palace covered in corpses slain by a mad wizard who left his expensive bling untouched, fine. We dedicate two sentences to everything being covered in scorch marks when one would have sufficed. It's not enough to have colorful paintings and tapestries, they must be "masterworks all" which conveys literally nothing to the reader except a vague sense of goodness. We know they're presumably valuable because they're in a goddamn palace,

We also have a few instances of Jordan literally beating the obvious contrast into the reader, "in odd counterpoint" and "The mind-twisting had struck at the core, ignoring peripheral things" add literally nothing to the message being conveyed.

Now, people are going to rightly point out that prose isn't just a technical manual to convey information, but the prose here doesn't really build to anything or convey any sort of emotion or color. Are we supposed to be horrified at the field of corpses? They get a sentence. Are we going for a clinical detachment? I don't think so, because of that opening shaking, denial, and madness, nor the visceral struck.

Let's look at another passage from the intro, shall we? Here Jordan introduces an evil dark wizard.

Robert Jordan posted:

Behind him the air rippled, shimmered, solidified into a man who looked around, his mouth twisting briefly with distaste. Not so tall as Lews Therin, [the insane wizard who caused the prior scene], he was clothed in all black, save for the snow-white lace at his throat and the silverwork on the turned-down tops of his thigh-high boots. He stepped carefully, handling his cloak fastidiously to avoid brushing the dead. The floor trembled with aftershocks, but his attention was fixed on the man staring into the mirror and laughing.

Look at this. "Rippled, shimmered, solidified" is just awful, it doesn't flow at all. The description of the clothing adds literally nothing - he's clad in black, ok, we know that's bad, but why focus on the lace and silverwork? I'm going to spoil it for you readers and straight up reveal this character is pure evil. Heck, he's referred to as "the black-clad man" throughout the remainder of the introduction. Contrast this with the act of keeping his cloak clean - this tells us more about the character than the descriptions of his height and his odd boot selection. It's also telling that this man literally appears out of thin air, and the narrative chooses not to comment on that but to focus on his drat clothes. I skipped a similar description of Lews Therin earlier, and the next character we're introduced to gets a similar bullshit description slotted in. This isn't done to show that this guy is a fop, but is SOP for introducing characters in fantasy word piles.

Again, the problem isn't that the author is using too many words per se, it's that so much of this is wasted words that accomplish nothing. Fantasy paperweights being so drat long is not because their stories are so long and intricate that they demand hundreds of thousands of words, but because their authors are padding out books with extra garbage that doesn't add anything.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The corollary to that is that Le Guin didn't need seven hundred pages because she could tell the same story much more pithily in 200. If you handed the plot of The Left Hand of Darkness to Sanderson or Jordan or (ugh) Rothfuss you'd end up with an unreadable trilogy of eight hundred pages per book. And the story, even if the key points were intact, would frankly lose something in the conversion. The density is part of the telling.

That said...sometimes the empty, verbose bullshit hits the spot because you'll slide off something more dense that day. So I do see the appeal of the sparse, meandering bullshit that takes ten pages to say what a good author could in one.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

More really isn't better though.
Not sure why you typed all those words instead of just linking to this.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Not sure why you typed all those words instead of just linking to this.

Did not know that was a thing, but I feel like I found something missing in my life.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reene posted:

The corollary to that is that Le Guin didn't need seven hundred pages because she could tell the same story much more pithily in 200. If you handed the plot of The Left Hand of Darkness to Sanderson or Jordan or (ugh) Rothfuss you'd end up with an unreadable trilogy of eight hundred pages per book. And the story, even if the key points were intact, would frankly lose something in the conversion. The density is part of the telling.

That said...sometimes the empty, verbose bullshit hits the spot because you'll slide off something more dense that day. So I do see the appeal of the sparse, meandering bullshit that takes ten pages to say what a good author could in one.

I like sparse, meandering bullshit because I can listen to it at work without it affecting my work

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The way Stone-Splitter suddenly hurls his mask off and starts shouting makes me picture a 6 year old having a tantrum, not a big burly warrior.

Late to the party but a bit of catch up:

I feel like this is contextually reasonable. The Northmen, like any cultural have societal traditions, rituals and taboos. Many of them are stupid or silly, but that's because they're largely a bunch of rednecks. In this case, we know a couple things going in. This blustery pre-fight talk is essentially a ritual - we see it almost every time two named men square off. The talk a bunch of poo poo and then we get down it - it's like the stupid pre-weigh in stare-downs you see clips of in boxing or MMA or the redneck version of "may your blade chip and shatter" in Dune. This is coupled with what we get as an implicit taboo - lying about being a named man. Names are a big deal in the North, and you don't give them to yourself. Insofar as their is an honor component to Northern culture, it's that names mean something - Forley "the weakest's" big moment is rising above a demeaning name and the rest of the crew really respect that, even Dow, who is a piece of poo poo. So Stone-splitter strolls in and makes the traditional insult opening to a duel, and in his mind Logan essentially shits on the floor by claiming to be the most famous named man in the North. The wrestling analogizes people were making in jest were actually apt - there's a set of norms and expectations and they're being violated - the fact that outsiders think they're stupid norms doesn't mean that the adherents don't take them seriously.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is the worst of takes. Sanderson can't write complexity for poo poo. His characters are all one note with super simplistic morality. Dalinar isn't complex because he used to be a piece of poo poo and now isn't. Moreover, it's lazy writing because we're introduced to Dalinar as a good dude who we're told was a piece of poo poo before the books started. It's not even an earned transformation that happens over the course of our reading. By the time we actually see Dalinar's past it's like 3000 pages later. And even then, Sanderson can't conscious an actual transformation because we just roll a back to when he was an even younger man who is a totally likable good guy -he wins over enemies doesn't kill Tanalan's son, etc. His real arc is just reverting back to his original state. It's pretty much the same arc of all 3 main characters. Shalan is a smart and energetic child, then she breaks down but that happens prior to the story starting. Then she reverts back to that. Kaladin is a caring impetuous leader, who we're introduced to as a brooding nihilist- but again, we're told he used to be different, and then he just reverts back to who he was before. All of these characters essentially had destinies about who they were "Supposed to be" but they were derailed and the books are just them course correcting -except we're introduced to all of them after their fall.

Sanderson is a serviceable writer whose main notable characteristic is that he cranks stuff out at an absurd pace - but he's not writing anything better than the junk R. A. Salvatore was when he was the gateway for nerds into the genre. If you're figuring out that gay people aren't bad or maybe that women are treated unfairly at the same time as Sanderson, than I guess that could be exciting for you. Beyond that, his main appeal is to people who love "world building" in that, re-reading D&D manuals cover-to-cover for the fifth time is their idea of fun. That's what most of his poo poo reads like -like what he really wanted to do was design an RPG, but he's settling for writing a book in that setting instead. His fans love his "Well-thought out" magic systems, but it's all a bunch of needlessly meticulous poo poo that doesn't matter. Le Guin's naming is worth being sketched out because the magic system has a purpose beyond create rules for an anime fight. Naming is about truly understanding things and people, getting to their essence. It's about the relationship of language and power. What is drinking a bunch of metals telling us that needs the level of detail it gets in Mistborn? Sanderson spends tons of pages outlining all of these rules and stuff, but none of it means anything. Just have your magic people do magic unless there's a real story reason for going into the nitty-gritty of how it works. Again, it feels like he's writing out all of these detailed rules so that you can use them to play an RPG. Which is pretty much just Salvatore being sure to describe all the loot Drizzit and crew grab so you can match it up PHB.

EDIT: Does Sanderson even have any grey characters? Off the top of my head, anyone who seems that way is later revealed to have always been a good/evil person and the appearance of ambiguity is just authorial omission in service of a reveal.

latinotwink1997 posted:

To me, if a story can be told in only two hundred pages, there isn't enough build up and engaging elements to be of interest.

Do you read anything other than genre fiction? If not, maybe put genre fiction aside for a bit and go read some literature because this is not a healthy position to take. It's like saying that a film can't hold your interest, but what you really need is a 12-season CW run.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 18, 2018

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Karnegal posted:

Do you read anything other than genre fiction? If not, maybe put genre fiction aside for a bit and go read some literature because this is not a healthy position to take. It's like saying that a film can't hold your interest, but what you really need is a 12-season CW run.

I do enjoy Supernatural even if the writing sucks 😆

I’ll go back to lurking now, since I’m obviously upsetting you.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Andrast posted:

I like sparse, meandering bullshit because I can listen to it at work without it affecting my work

Yeah, Sanderson is the kind of poo poo I read when I'm going to sleep. I just prop up my kindle and drift off.

I wrote a big shpiel about Sanderson after finishing Stormlight which boiled down to: his books are incredibly interchangeable to the point that if you've read one Sanderson book you have really read them all, he clearly wants to be writing screenplays based on how tightly he cleaves to setup-reminder-payoff, and he's writing a story/setting, not characters. That's why the characters are such flat archetypes (Kaladin is Dude What Has Depression, Renarin is Nice Kid With Autism, Shallan is the Strong Abuse Survivor, etc) because they're just set pieces that do the bare minimum of whatever they need to be doing to move the story he wants to tell along.

This is actually pretty forgiveable if not extremely entertaining if you're really into character-driven stuff (like me) until you get to characters like Hoid, who both fails to exist within the confines of the story as it's being laid out and serves as the author's surrogate to explain the plot to readers he clearly doesn't think are smart enough to pick up on what's going on.

Reene fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Reene posted:

I wrote a big shpiel about Sanderson after finishing Stormlight
Link?