Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The HF extending 1/2" ratchet is actually pretty nice.

Most other stuff is eh. I really want a nice set of screwdrivers and bits from Wera/Wiha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Motronic posted:

Honestly Harbor Freight hand tools are pretty decent now, and are lifetime warranty. I've been using a set (that used to be an emergency backup I left in my truck) for a couple months now since I moved houses but not the shop yet and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Totally agree.

Some people don't realize that HF has different, confusing tiers for their tools. If you have only tried their poo poo-tier tools (i.e. the ones that are almost free with coupons), it's easy to rag on them. However, they have newer, higher-quality lines like 'Doyle', which IMHO are better than the Channellocks/Kliens they are competing with. The fact that they cost less than half of those name brands (even cheaper with ubiquitous 20% coupon) and the ability to plop a broken one on the counter and walk over to get a new one is awesome. Have fun paying $15 in shipping to mail your $25 Channellocks off for warranty repair.

My favorite part is just how drat cheap their tools are. For $50 or so, I can build a basic set of screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, pliers, and other misc items to throw in a cheap toolbox. I have my main (larger) set of tools in a roller cabinet in the basement, but I also have a basic kit in my garage, shed, and trunk of my car. Now, when I need to fix something real quick, I'm always within a few feet of a tool that will do the job.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

I think I'll stick to handsaws and/or axes for my tree-felling needs.

EDIT: ...or would that not help at all? It's not the chainsaw that almost killed that guy, it's the tree.

In my case its just a big water logged rotten tree (it's a species thing) that I should have cut down a while ago but is kind of pretty and majestic. I'm sure someone with more chops could have done something differently and it would have turned out better. I turned down another hazard tree after that was bigger and leaning harder. No shame in walking away when you aren't comfortable, the trick is knowing the difference between normal respect for the saw and tree fear (which I get every time I start a saw) and is this a moment that changes my life fear.

Platystemon posted:

Harry Potter on Ice cut down a leaning tree.

The tree “barberchaired”, which means that instead of falling in an orderly fashion, the tree splits and lashes out violently and unpredictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7H9qWdquk&t=67s

Harry Potter on Ice thought they were doing everything right with this tree and had just felled a challenging tree without incident.

Hairy Potter on Ice almost died and expresses displeasure with trees of the genus Populus.

Haha it's better than the original post. The video is spot on except it wasnt on a hill so I was able to run as soon as it started popping and keep running. Yikes!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

I think I'll stick to handsaws and/or axes for my tree-felling needs.

EDIT: ...or would that not help at all? It's not the chainsaw that almost killed that guy, it's the tree.

Honestly, a chainsaw might actually make that safer in that it gives you a better chance of cleanly cutting the tree before it starts going nastyon you. The way the chainsaw would get you killed is if you decided to try and recover it before running instead of just taking off. Note on that video the guy immediately recognizes what is happening and splits (pun) down a pre-decided exit route without a second thought. That's basically the way you protect yourself from these (aside from avoiding cutting these sorts of trees to begin with).

Or, you know, dynamite.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Maybe I'm polyannaish, but I've cut hundreds of trees, including some big ones, and as long as you have a decent grasp of how gravity works and know the basic safety rules and cutting techniques, you will be ok. Always have an escape route, pre plan for what might go wrong, and wear your PPE.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

stealie72 posted:

Maybe I'm polyannaish, but I've cut hundreds of trees, including some big ones, and as long as you have a decent grasp of how gravity works and know the basic safety rules and cutting techniques, you will be ok. Always have an escape route, pre plan for what might go wrong, and wear your PPE.

Did you not see the video posted a few posts before you with the professional almost dying?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Did you not see the video posted a few posts before you with the professional almost dying?

Yeah, don't take that tree on as a weekend warrior. But don't think that you've got a 50/50 chance of dying taking down a foot diameter tree in the backyard either. Maybe should have added "If you doubt your ability to safely take the tree down, dont try."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

I am always amazed at how a 2” thick wedge can lever over an 80’ tree and make it start falling. Watching a big tree fall is always so serenely beautiful in a way as it slowly leans just that little bit and then gains more and more momentum until it finally crashes down and then everything is quiet again.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, don't take that tree on as a weekend warrior. But don't think that you've got a 50/50 chance of dying taking down a foot diameter tree in the backyard either. Maybe should have added "If you doubt your ability to safely take the tree down, dont try."

The thing is, the feller in that video did not realize the hazard of that tree because it was hidden. We are definitely not talking about 12" trees here. Not sure what your point is?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

stealie72 posted:

"Pre plan for what might go wrong" is a pretty huge caveat that allows for a lot of "Death & Dismemberment Due to Dunning-Kruger'

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Eh, just trying to say that a chainsaw isn't automatically going to get you killed. If you're not comfortable using one, don't.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Gardenator posted:

Never heard of spraying that into a tank, do you just spray it into the drain after every use?

After I'm done I empty the air from the tank then drain it of any moisture. After it's drained, I spray a shot or two of G96* into the tank through the moisture drain, then close it and fire the compressor up for a little bit so it regains a decent amount of pressure. I turn it off, then give the hose a few shots, then pull the air release pin and let the excess pressure drain. This will (in my mind) cause the G96 to circulate more thoroughly throughout the tank and mechanisms.

*G96 is an aerosol gun lubricant which also prevents corrosion. It's very light and doesn't collect dust or grime, so it won't gum up your tools or compressor. I also use it on my roofing gun, and anything else with fine metal parts that can rust.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

After I'm done I empty the air from the tank then drain it of any moisture. After it's drained, I spray a shot or two of G96* into the tank through the moisture drain, then close it and fire the compressor up for a little bit so it regains a decent amount of pressure. I turn it off, then give the hose a few shots, then pull the air release pin and let the excess pressure drain. This will (in my mind) cause the G96 to circulate more thoroughly throughout the tank and mechanisms.

*G96 is an aerosol gun lubricant which also prevents corrosion. It's very light and doesn't collect dust or grime, so it won't gum up your tools or compressor. I also use it on my roofing gun, and anything else with fine metal parts that can rust.

Good on you, but I'd rather just replace my tank every decade.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Travelling to the Vegas next week. I wanna head to harbor freight and get some clamps since they are crazy expensive in Canada. Mainly F clamps and maybe some pipe clamps.
Anything else I should consider that harbor freight does well for the price?

Flying home so can't get anything too big/insane.

Also, does anyone know if SawStop does Black Friday deals? It seems unlikely. Especially in Canada.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Anyone have any idea what this is? It was left behind in the garage by the PO when I bought the house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Those red plastic bits remind me of the inserts for my router table that go around the router bit. Looks like you have some brackets, allthread, and knobs as well, so I'm guessing this is a router accessory or build-your-own-router-table kit or something similar.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Anyone have any idea what this is? It was left behind in the garage by the PO when I bought the house.

I can tell you exactly, it's router attachments that come with this piece of poo poo:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-8-ft-x-3-ft-Portable-Jobsite-Workbench-225047/205887786

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have a portable workbench, I find it pretty handy

I can’t imagine any scenario where I would want my portable workbench to be a loving router table

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I can tell you exactly, it's router attachments that come with this piece of poo poo:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-8-ft-x-3-ft-Portable-Jobsite-Workbench-225047/205887786

:monocle: I actually have that exact table, I bought it a few days after buying the house while I was renovating it. Apparently it wasn't from the previous owner after all, mystery solved!

Also I agree with Sockser. I've actually found the table to be very useful, but I clearly never even remotely thought to use it as a router table. I do need a router table though, so.... maybe I should give it a try.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

keep it down up there! posted:

Travelling to the Vegas next week. I wanna head to harbor freight and get some clamps since they are crazy expensive in Canada. Mainly F clamps and maybe some pipe clamps.
Anything else I should consider that harbor freight does well for the price?

Flying home so can't get anything too big/insane.

Also, does anyone know if SawStop does Black Friday deals? It seems unlikely. Especially in Canada.

Maybe they do black friday deals on their patent licensing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

stealie72 posted:

Eh, just trying to say that a chainsaw isn't automatically going to get you killed. If you're not comfortable using one, don't.

Yeah, I think the point of this conversation is more along the lines of "this is a thing that can happen which you might not expect and which can behave unpredictably so if you DON'T expect it then it can be very dangerous".

This is very similar to the discussion that often happens regarding how dangerous table saws are. The conversation usually goes something like:

:ohdear: Table saws are dangerous
:science: Table saws aren't inherently dangerous, but you have to be attentive when using them and watch out for X, Y, and Z [circumstances a user might not anticipate that lead to injury]
:black101: Exactly, they are finger-eating monsters who require constant vigilance to keep them under control
:rant: No, they're not dangerous at all unless you are being an idiot with them
:pseudo: Most people are idiots
:colbert: Yes but I am not
(etc.)

Basically "Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine" is somewhat correct, but undersells how hard "don't be an idiot" is. If it's something that maims or kills a significant portion of professionals working in a field (like kickback with table saws or barber chairs with trees) then it's something that you *should* be worried about when you use the tool and *should* be constantly thinking about. That doesn't mean that it's GOING to happen when you use the tool, or that when it DOES happen getting injured is inevitable. I think this is doubly true for posts on an internet forum populated most likely by non-professionals who might not have ever been exposed to the concept to begin with. Personally, I'd be less comfortable but feel safer/more prepared knowing about something like a tree barber chairing on me, how to recognize/minimize the risk, and what to do if it happens.

stealie72 posted:

If you're not comfortable using one, don't.

Counterpoint: If you feel comfortable using a chainsaw, don't.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hubis posted:

Counterpoint: If you feel comfortable using a chainsaw, don't.

Chainsaw operation should only be undertaken by people with a somewhat nebulous sense of confidence in their abilities.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I was full-clenching the entire time I squared up a 2 foot log for milling with my tiny corded electric chainsaw. I can't even imagine trying to cut down an actual tree with a gas powered beast.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I know a guy whose been logging for 30 years in Oregon dropping big timber and he slipped once on a wet hill and fell on a full bore saw on his stomach. He lived with a massive scar

If only he was more comfortable using chainsaws

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I know a guy whose been logging for 30 years in Oregon dropping big timber and he slipped once on a wet hill and fell on a full bore saw on his stomach. He lived with a massive scar

If only he was more comfortable using chainsaws

Should have been wearing a chainsaw corset to go with his chaps

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Blistex posted:

Chainsaw operation should only be undertaken by people with a somewhat nebulous sense of confidence in their abilities.

Check and check

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://toolguyd.com/acme-tools-black-friday-2018-tool-deals/

BF milwaukee tool deals starting to filter in

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Should have been wearing a chainsaw corset to go with his chaps

Have actually wondered why more of an overall design isn't the default instead of chaps precisely for this reason.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › DIY › Hand & Power Tools: Should have been wearing a chainsaw corset to go with his chaps

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Basic homeowner grade rules to live by:
Do not upgrade your chainsaw with the aggressive (professional grade non-anti-kickback) chainsaw chain, always lock your chainsaw with the chain brake engaged as soon as you are done cutting, start the saw with the chainbrake engaged, check your saw before starting for proper tension (not too loose and not too tight), stand on the ground (no ladders, etc), do not cut large trees, and do not approach someone using a saw without letting them know you are near them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

Have actually wondered why more of an overall design isn't the default instead of chaps precisely for this reason.

It would be uncomfortably warm for most of the year in most climates and it’s hard enough to get folks to wear chaps as it is.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It would be uncomfortably warm for most of the year in most climates and it’s hard enough to get folks to wear chaps as it is.
Fair enough, wasn't thinking about the poor dudes working in August in Florida. Thinking about it a little more, a bib/apron would add about 1/2 the material of a set of chaps and would need something around the neck and some kind of loop around the lower back to not get in the way, so would probably be more trouble than its worth.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I get looks every time I have one of my saws out for donning gloves, proper helmet with integral faceshield/headphones, and chaps. Usually also get verbal sarcasm about playing lumberman. The number of those people to have scars across their faces and/or shins from prior mishaps is impressive.

A coworker who recently moved North here was talking about picking himself up a saw. I caught poo poo from some other guys for suggesting he buy the PPE first to guarantee he doesn't make the E.R. run that always results "just this one quick thing" when he inevitably puts off buying armor.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Its been a long time since I've let a dumbass commenting on my PPE bother me. I like my body as is and dont need any custom mods thank you very much

The Gardenator posted:

Basic homeowner grade rules to live by:
Do not upgrade your chainsaw with the aggressive (professional grade non-anti-kickback) chainsaw chain, always lock your chainsaw with the chain brake engaged as soon as you are done cutting, start the saw with the chainbrake engaged, check your saw before starting for proper tension (not too loose and not too tight), stand on the ground (no ladders, etc), do not cut large trees, and do not approach someone using a saw without letting them know you are near them.

But full skip chain cuts so nice and is so easy to sharpen :/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Its been a long time since I've let a dumbass commenting on my PPE bother me. I like my body as is and dont need any custom mods thank you very much

But full skip chain cuts so nice and is so easy to sharpen :/

Same here. Especially with chainsaws, gently caress that noise. Helmet with hearing protection, full wrap chaps, and steel toe boots.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Any crazy deals on table saws I should know about? Looking at that contractor dewalt right now

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 23, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^see here https://toolguyd.com/black-friday-2018-table-saw-deals/?utm_source=topreminder&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=blackfriday18

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Any crazy deals on table saws I should know about? Looking at that contractor dewalt right now

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-10-Inch-Job-Site-Capacity/dp/B000HXT2N6/

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Any deal I'm going to find that's better than this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...-P122/306764492

Really just need the Drill, Impact, and Saw. DIY/Homerepair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bondematt posted:

Any deal I'm going to find that's better than this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...-P122/306764492

Really just need the Drill, Impact, and Saw. DIY/Homerepair

That’s pretty solid. And then anything else you find you need you can pick up at Father’s Day for insane prices