Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Mf1050 on amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Or the viair 88p (Don't buy a lower spec one with a cig power adaptor, get one with battery terminal alligators) E: If you're shopping around elsewhere, research or ask about duty cycle/run time. A lot of these small compressor burn out quick, some are as bad as only being able to pump for 2min before a 10min cool down required. And they pull 30A so the cig plug ones are useless since most cars have a <10A phone charging/usb only limitation for the cig socket these days.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 19, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I personally think that you should get one with a digital gauge: it's quite nice to set your desired pressure and just leave it running and let it stop automatically.

There's less constant staring at the gauge and trying to squint to see exactly what the reading is, plus I believe digital gauges tend to be pretty accurate.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My 4 gallon pancake air compressor finally kicked the bucket after 11 years. I want to replace it with this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-15-Gal-2-0-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-15020C/205773204
I need it to build a house in the spring (nailers and staplers mostly) and then it will sit in my garage for the rest of its life, filling tires mostly. I like how quiet this one is and it’s priced in the middle of el cheapo and el expensive-o. Any opinions on this compressor or just this brand in general? Is there a different one that would be a better bang for the buck?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not familiar with that brand, but I've seen similar type compressors in stock at Costco before. Might be worth checking?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I've had one of these for 5 or 6 years and have used it many times with zero problems. You will need a lighter to alligator clip adapter because it will blow the gently caress out of your accessory fuse when it gets a load on it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Modus Man posted:

My 4 gallon pancake air compressor finally kicked the bucket after 11 years. I want to replace it with this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-15-Gal-2-0-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-15020C/205773204
I need it to build a house in the spring (nailers and staplers mostly) and then it will sit in my garage for the rest of its life, filling tires mostly. I like how quiet this one is and it’s priced in the middle of el cheapo and el expensive-o. Any opinions on this compressor or just this brand in general? Is there a different one that would be a better bang for the buck?

I’ve got the smaller version from them and love it. I have the same use case, I’m not running automotive tools or anything off of it. Handled nail guns really well, and now is in my garage to blow debris around and dry books of my car.

With the smaller one it obviously runs a lot more to fill the tank, but it is so quiet it didn’t bother me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
15% off ebay coupon, here's a good way to waste some money on tools i may or may not truly need!

How to redeem your Coupon:
Shop for eligible items.
Pay for your item by 8:00 PM Eastern Time on November 21, 2018
Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: PICKFAST
Coupon is only valid when you buy within the latest version of the eBay Mobile App on iOS or Android.

https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/1121/70319.html

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KC Tool has the Wera 020068 Joker Combination Wrench with Switch - 13mm on sale today. I've had the 10mm for awhile since it was a tool of the day, it's nice as hell, and I'm picking this one up as well because it's the other Most Important Size.

I'd love to get a full set but :homebrew:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That looks amazing, just bought the 10mm version. Pretty pricey for a single wrench, but I have their screwdrivers and I'm a big fan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
never understood what those joker wrenches do to justify those prices

anyway how about some more METAL tool deals up your rear end?

https://toolguyd.com/

https://toolguyd.com/thanksgiving-2018-milwaukee-cordless-power-tool-deals/
https://toolguyd.com/tools-plus-black-friday-2018-tool-deals/
https://toolguyd.com/gearwrench-tool-deals-bf2018/
https://toolguyd.com/acme-tools-black-friday-2018-tool-deals/?utm_source=topreminder&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=earlyblackfriday18

dont mind me, im just going 100% stupid on milwaukee tools

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I feel like I bought the gear wrench ratchetign wrench set for half that price on Amazon, linked in this very thread.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

never understood what those joker wrenches do to justify those prices
I mean, this difference of opinion happens a lot in this thread, but the short answer is, they're well-engineered - short throw to ratchet, thin and compact, strong; in addition, some people are less price sensitive on certain goods (in this case, tools). Just like Snap-On, they're not usually (in the case of these, I'd probably say "ever") the only tool that can do the job, but they do it better, and if you value that, there's a point where willingness to spend money on a tool outweighs willingness to fiddle with things.

Where that point is obviously varies for everyone. I spent my teenage and college years using a lot of Autozone, Harbor Freight, and cheap Sears tools, and the first couple times I used a friend's Snap-On tools that just worked better, I was pretty sold. I still own Harbor Freight tools, but for a lot of stuff (ratcheting combos included), I like having the little bit better ones. (To be clear, most of my ratcheting combos are GearWrench, and they're usually just fine. But when I need a 10mm, that Joker is noticeably nicer.)

All that said, I haven't managed to convince myself to spend retail on them. But on sale? Sure.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
One of the big things about the joker is the open end has a plate that can hold a nut. Like you can use it like normal and the wrench can slide sideways on or off the nut, but rotate the nut 60 degrees and it fits into a cup shaped area, this would be great for holding nuts in blind areas.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 22, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So do g nuts go with g spots?

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

One of the big things about the joker is the open end has a plate that can hold a nut. Like you can use it like normal and the wrench can slide sideways on or off the nut, but rotate the nut 60 degrees and it fits into a cup shaped area, this would be great for holding nuts in blind areas.

I have had a full set of jokers for about 6 months now. Surprised folks aren't knocking off this feature.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
How practical is a typical 1/4" hex impact driver for automotive use? I'm looking at getting a drill kit and impact wrench skin. Are the impacts drivers useful? I know you can get 1/4" hex to square adapters to use sockets so should I just pay the extra and get the Drill and Impact combo or save my money. The tools wont see a hell of a lot of use. Car wise it would just be removing wheels, brake jobs and swapping struts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Makita 1/4"impact driver I recently got only torque things down to about 140 inch pounds. Perfect for what I need (turning screws until I hit them with my torque wrench), but I wouldn't trust it to take off my wheels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Good for smaller stuff though like clamps on the intake and undertrays and such. I did some work on an audi recently and the most time consuming part was a zillion torx undetray screws.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I use my 1/4" impacts for all sorts of small fasteners on cars. Mostly Philips/torx or hex on M6 or smaller. I've been meaning to pick up the compact 3/8" brushless impact wrench soon for slightly bigger stuff, but I still use air for all my 1/2" stuff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

ok this is a good explanation of why these command a premium price, sounds like a nice feature

spog
Aug 7, 2004

UK goons:

Amazon Basics socket sets appear to be 30% off today and look a pretty good deal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Socket-Set-201-Piece/dp/B074MFYGSF

£38

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If I was going to take an interior apart I'd absolutely want a 1/4" driver, maybe 2 for less bit swapping.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Amazon Basics makes tools, now?

How are they?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Uthor posted:

Amazon Basics makes tools, now?

How are they?

I dunno. Could you buy some and report back?

It's impossible to get a useful review on Amazon.

"it arrived in a box!!!! 5 stars"
"not snap-on quality. 3 stars"
"it's shiny and my first tool kit. 5 stars"
"didn't contain the size I needed. 1 star"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

I dunno. Could you buy some and report back?

It's impossible to get a useful review on Amazon.

"it arrived in a box!!!! 5 stars"
"not snap-on quality. 3 stars"
"it's shiny and my first tool kit. 5 stars"
"didn't contain the size I needed. 1 star"

The tools looks really similar to the crescent brand kits I recommend. Different case of course but if the tools are similar then it will be great, especially to leave in the car.
Wish it would show country of manufacture, as the old crescent kits were made in Taiwan are the good ones. Made in China I'm not so sure about, could be good, can't guarantee it.

E: I'm not sure if amazon UK works here again (last year they started amazon australia, geoblocked the rest of the world, increased prices and decreased range. No one bought anything. Yesterday they decided to stop geoblocking us from the rest of the world, apparently mainly usa amazon for things not even offered here but I hope it extends to UK amazon as postage is cheaper from there).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 23, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably cranked out by Apex.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Definitely. They own crescent which is why it looks so familiar to me. What matters more though is Taiwan or China origins.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ha, at least I had a good guess. :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'm of the opinion that as long as you avoid the poo poo-tier, pot metal stuff, then anything you buy is going to be good enough for the non-professional user.

As long as the sockets don't rust or shatter and fit (pretty hard to gently caress that bit up) then they will do the job.

With hindsight, I've realised what is more important is what is inside those big cases.
For example, I would willingly forego all the 3/8th stuff and make do with just 1/4 and 1/2 if it meant the space in the case was filled with decent length extensions, a tommy bar, a UJ and two sparkplug sockets.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

I'm of the opinion that as long as you avoid the poo poo-tier, pot metal stuff, then anything you buy is going to be good enough for the non-professional user.

As long as the sockets don't rust or shatter and fit (pretty hard to gently caress that bit up) then they will do the job.

With hindsight, I've realised what is more important is what is inside those big cases.
For example, I would willingly forego all the 3/8th stuff and make do with just 1/4 and 1/2 if it meant the space in the case was filled with decent length extensions, a tommy bar, a UJ and two sparkplug sockets.

OTOH I own quality 1/2" and decent 1/4" separate tool kits, but sometimes have to use the crescent toolkit because I need 3/8" gear as I don't have any 3/8" tools otherwise (E: I used to, started off with 3/8 but got rid of it. Don't be like me and get rid of your 3/8 stuff. It's useful, especially when getting into adaptors for fittings like hex and e-torx etc).

1/4" is for fasteners/interior
3/8 for engine bays
1/2 for brakes and suspension (E: as a start point, I want to get more 3/4 stuff now...)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 23, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

While you don't NEED the nicer tools most of the time, there are times where the make all the difference in the world. I was doing something on a early 2000s Accord where there was a hard to reach bolt that was facing the firewall, and the Snap-On ratchet was great because I cold only move the wrench a tiny bit at a time, but that was still enough to engage the ratchet. A ratchet with a larger throw would have been useless, so instead you'd have to just loosen the bolt a tiny bit, take off the tool and get it back on the bolt, repeat etc. Repeat this 10x on different bolts and the whole thing is easier, faster, and I'm less likely to end up with a stiff back.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m getting on the nicer tool train myself. I agree they’re not always necessary, but if it makes me happy to use it, then it’s worth it.

But yeah, KC Tool has a good sale going on, so I’m getting an Imperial Wera Tool Check and a Wera 3/8” Metric socket set. I love the way they’re packaged, and this should cover my bases for home and auto work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I just got my first Hazet. Gotta love sales.

(It’s a socket, relax.)

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
serious Tools! question up in here. I don't own a single battery operated tool. I have a corded circular saw, drill, hammer drill, impact, blower, weedeater, etc. I have hand tools and sockets and several 100ft extension cords. I'm in my mid 30's, just never jumped on the battery powered tool bandwagon. I was admiring my brother's cordless tool collection over Thanksgiving trying to decide what system I wanted to invest in and had a crazy idea: Instead of buying the same tools in the battery format, what if I just dropped some cash on a Honda generator to power my corded tools? Aside from less mobility I can't really see much of a downside. I live in the mountains so the generator would see double duty when I go out camping/offroading. Plus in the next few years I plan on building a goon shack off-grid and feel like the generator would get a lot of usage out on the mountain. Is there any huge downside I'm overlooking? I'm sure I could buy a lot of nice battery tools for the cost of a high quality generator, but I'm a minimalist and don't want two of everything. Are the good brands making a lot of corded tools anymore? I imagine the used market for corded tools is pretty good. How terrible of an idea is this?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mobility and convenience are huge. You really want to drag a generator around? Give it gas, deal with exhaust? Hondas are quiet, but they are not silent. I mean, before cordless tools that was a thing but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a generator at a building site. All the trades are cordless now for a reason.

Not only that, some cordless tools are more powerful than corded (or pneumatic for that matter).

The price of a quality decent watt Honda generator will buy you a pretty good setup of an ecosystem, especially if you wait for sales.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You'll need a good sized generator for like a circular saw or anything like that. I guess I can see the hesitation if you have a bunch of corded tools already, but frankly my newer battery powered stuff is better quality and often more powerful than my corded tools collecting dust.

Not to mention the hassle of hauling a damned cord around.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The only corded tools I still use are bench based or grinders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My dad bought me a house warming gift. Is this safe or will it kill me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rhyno posted:

My dad bought me a house warming gift. Is this safe or will it kill me?

I have the Werner version of that ladder. If you so much as glance at the locks to see that they're engaged, it is as safe as any other ladder. Only drawbacks are that the joints flex a bit more than an extension ladder (perfectly safe but might give you the willies) and its a bit heavy for everyday use if you don't also have a smaller ladder. That said, its probably the most versatile ladder I've used so its great to have around.