Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just lol if you wont smash or steal every drone you see on principle alone. literally no good reason for some to be using one near you, ever. either they're automating someones job or the police are watching your barbecue while sniffing packets from your wifi network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

just lol if you wont smash or steal every drone you see on principle alone. literally no good reason for some to be using one near you, ever. either they're automating someones job or the police are watching your barbecue while sniffing packets from your wifi network

The ones with video cameras get good aerial shots for film projects that before you could only get via chartering a helicopter for a ridiculous amount of money

But other than that..:agreed:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nah i fly drones and i basically just fly them into ppls bedrooms and look at their butts. i fly at a extremely competitive level and nobody can hide their rear end from my eye

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Larry Parrish posted:

That quote about how capitalism managed to make automation a bad thing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Reminder that the luddites weren't wrong

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Wheeee posted:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

:yeshaha:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
these little things congregate around a statue on berkeleys campus

its unholy

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
What's the resale value? Asking for a friend.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wheeee posted:

Reminder that the luddites were totally and completely right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1066109035957620736

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
the homeless around town have taken to disabling the lock on the Lime e-bikes and are cruising in style

and here i am using an app like a dork

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Robot coffee machines have showed up around here, I wish I had the balls to violently destroy them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean you tell me we're gonna have unattended sandwiches on wheels puttering all over the place, who wouldn't crack one open for a bite to eat?

It's like that Japanese conveyor belt restaurant but everywhere.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I'm surprised they made them so easy to tip over

BULBASAUR posted:

quoting this amazing self own
not amazing because it's sarcasm, have you never been around americans?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1066120085302071296

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the capitalists reacted to luddites smashing capital by making it a capital crime

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the phrase drone personhood doesn't even exist yet and i already hate it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
drones delivering food honestly seems like a way better loving use of resources than cars at least

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
obviously denser habitation and bikes is the better solution, tho

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dead Beef posted:

I'm surprised they made them so easy to tip over

Probably just optimized for small footprint and didn't anticipate people shoving them.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Don’t forget to tip :haw:

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

aphid_licker posted:

Probably just optimized for small footprint and didn't anticipate people shoving them.

Truly indicates how bad these people are at planning.

SystemAddict
Dec 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
California spontaneously combusts every year.

Wild fires in CA are not "indications of climate change".

People using CA wild fires as proof climate change is a thing are stupid and highlight themselves as essential to be ignored.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SystemAddict posted:

People using CA wild fires as proof climate change is a thing are stupid and highlight themselves as essential to be ignored.

Every year since 2000s. Wonder what could POSSIBLY be represented by such a trend...

But really there's so much evidence for climate change denying it is basically the equivalent of flat-eartherism. It's one of many ways that some people are determined to be hopeless about the situation around them. As disasters intensify and costs involved keep rising, they resolutely demand that nothing can be done.

But hey, I guess new shipping lanes are opening up now. If you wanted to give Russia more access to the world it's great. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/03/science/earth/arctic-shipping.html

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
California been in a drought the last 10 years and a lower period of average rain fall that isn't technically a drought the 10 before that. If you believe my parents and grandparents, it used to snow 5-10x as much 30 years ago. So climate change is probably a big factor but the fires themselves are normal

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SystemAddict posted:

lol syq

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

anime was right posted:

obviously denser habitation and bikes is the better solution, tho

I call your solution and raise.

China has created a horrifying bicycle dystopia with private bike sharing companies gone mad.

That's actually one of the more reasonable looking pictures too, because the other ones are at scales that it's hard to wrap your brain around.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

And people say there's no such thing as a free lunch

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

China has created a horrifying bicycle dystopia with private bike sharing companies gone mad.

That's actually one of the more reasonable looking pictures too, because the other ones are at scales that it's hard to wrap your brain around.

I cannot understand this. How are there places where THOUSANDS of bikes are all piled on each other?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grondoth posted:

I cannot understand this. How are there places where THOUSANDS of bikes are all piled on each other?

:capitalism:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Paladin posted:

Truly indicates how bad these people are at planning.

I think most everyday engineering and organizational stuff is not particularly hardened against intentional directed malice bc where do you even start.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Grondoth posted:

Modern bourgeois society, with its relations of production, of exchange and of property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells. For many a decade past the history of industry and commerce is but the history of the revolt of modern productive forces against modern conditions of production, against the property relations that are the conditions for the existence of the bourgeois and of its rule. It is enough to mention the commercial crises that by their periodical return put the existence of the entire bourgeois society on its trial, each time more threateningly. In these crises, a great part not only of the existing products, but also of the previously created productive forces, are periodically destroyed. In these crises, there breaks out an epidemic that, in all earlier epochs, would have seemed an absurdity — the epidemic of over-production. Society suddenly finds itself put back into a state of momentary barbarism; it appears as if a famine, a universal war of devastation, had cut off the supply of every means of subsistence; industry and commerce seem to be destroyed; and why? Because there is too much civilisation, too much means of subsistence, too much industry, too much commerce. The productive forces at the disposal of society no longer tend to further the development of the conditions of bourgeois property; on the contrary, they have become too powerful for these conditions, by which they are fettered, and so soon as they overcome these fetters, they bring disorder into the whole of bourgeois society, endanger the existence of bourgeois property. The conditions of bourgeois society are too narrow to comprise the wealth created by them. And how does the bourgeoisie get over these crises? On the one hand by enforced destruction of a mass of productive forces; on the other, by the conquest of new markets, and by the more thorough exploitation of the old ones. That is to say, by paving the way for more extensive and more destructive crises, and by diminishing the means whereby crises are prevented.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The bikeshare companies must saturate the city with bikes (more bikes than their competitors) to make their business model work.

The public don't give a poo poo where they leave the bike and just dump it wherever.

The city must clear away the bikes when they pile up and put them into the impound lot.

40 goto 10

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SlothfulCobra posted:

China is a communist country

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SlothfulCobra posted:

looking forward to similar pictures of abandoned share scooters in the us

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I saw this in-person in Shenzchen at the beginning of this year. It was loving crazy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SlothfulCobra posted:

The bikeshare companies must saturate the city with bikes (more bikes than their competitors) to make their business model work.

The public don't give a poo poo where they leave the bike and just dump it wherever.

The city must clear away the bikes when they pile up and put them into the impound lot.

40 goto 10

idk banning bikesharing seems like a good option. anyway that doesnt really like have anything to do with food delivery tho. nyc and sf food delivery works fine with bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Al! posted:

looking forward to similar pictures of abandoned share scooters in the us

the ten billion surplus electric scooters at least have some use in that they can be broken into and the battery stolen