Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bondematt posted:

Any deal I'm going to find that's better than this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...-P122/306764492

Really just need the Drill, Impact, and Saw. DIY/Homerepair

I don't think you really need the jigsaw then, you'd probably rather have another battery or charger or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Finally got around to dicking with the lathe, a dowel cut-off, and the broken end of a rotten wheelbarrow handle:

Getting to not suck at this is going to be habit-forming after I pick up a less foggy mask.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats a good brand/model of orbital palm sander? i've got an old as hell quarter sheet Porter that my dad gave me

any reason to get a quarter sheet over a circular pad sander? seems like sheets of paper are cheaper but a minor PITA to swap out sheets compared to the self adhesives

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The circular ones are actually random orbit sanders (in general, at least...I'm sure someone makes a non-RO sander in that form). RO sanders are superior, as they have a much lower tendency to make whirls and scratches, making the whole sanding process faster and easier. The pad can swivel freely on an RO sander, letting each burr on the pad follow a random path, instead of just vibrating the whole pad back and forth or around a small orbit, which leads to the same burr tracing the same path over and over.

The circular sheets will also have ports for dust collection on them, which is something you won't get cutting up regular sand paper for your clamp-style palm sander.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 26, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BraveUlysses posted:

whats a good brand/model of orbital palm sander? i've got an old as hell quarter sheet Porter that my dad gave me

any reason to get a quarter sheet over a circular pad sander? seems like sheets of paper are cheaper but a minor PITA to swap out sheets compared to the self adhesives

I've got the Dewalt RO and it's pretty great, but I've always been envious of the pneumatic RO at my hackerspace. That thing fuckin takes material off like a belt sander

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

BraveUlysses posted:

I like adjustable speed RO sanders. I've put a lot of hours on my Bosch, including refinishing a 20'+ boat and it's still working well. I wouldn't buy one if I wasnt able to adjust the speed. I have replaced the hook and loop pad once. An orbital sheet sander has different uses than a orbital palm and doesnt take off material as well I believe

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 26, 2018

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BraveUlysses posted:

Square sheets of sandpaper are definitely cheaper, but you run through them 3-4 times faster (imo). Also Random Orbital sanders are better for all of the reasons that have already been mentioned.

***RONA DEAL*** Since it's Cyber Monday, Rona if offering 25% off any purchase over $300. This just made the Bosch 12" Glide Mitre Saw ~$30 cheaper than the same one on Amazon, even with Prime and the Bosch 30% holiday promotion, but anything you might be interested in is also subject to the same deal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BraveUlysses posted:

I’ve had good luck with Ridgid ones and I’ve used good Bosch and Milwaukee ones too. We used to have a Ryobi one I bought on sale for like $20 and it was great until it died. The Ridgid ones seem to be a bit shorter and have a lower center of gravity which helps with sanding edges or trying to sand inside a drawer opening or something. I don’t really like the DeWalt one I have-it’s fine for sanding paint, but it’s too jerky or something for fine finish sanding.

Pneumatic one’s are the poo poo if you have a big ole compressor and don’t mind listening to it run all the time. They last basically forever even in a production setting.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve had good luck with Ridgid ones and I’ve used good Bosch and Milwaukee ones too. We used to have a Ryobi one I bought on sale for like $20 and it was great until it died. The Ridgid ones seem to be a bit shorter and have a lower center of gravity which helps with sanding edges or trying to sand inside a drawer opening or something. I don’t really like the DeWalt one I have-it’s fine for sanding paint, but it’s too jerky or something for fine finish sanding.

Pneumatic one’s are the poo poo if you have a big ole compressor and don’t mind listening to it run all the time. They last basically forever even in a production setting.

Makita make really nice ones, and the cordless ones reach a full charge in ~15 minutes (and the charger plays a tune when it's done).

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I'm going to suggest getting a 6" ROS rather than 5", sanding goes a fair bit faster.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dyne posted:

I'm going to suggest getting a 6" ROS rather than 5", sanding goes a fair bit faster.

I would take exception to that notion.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'll bet it feels like you finish the sanding about 16.66666666666% faster!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'll bet it feels like you finish the sanding about 16.66666666666% faster!

Need a better math nerd here to illustrate why that's wrong (imo) stat!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The area of a 6” sander is actually about a third larger than a 5” sander and they really do sand a ton faster. For sanding big flat surfaces a 6” is great to have around, but much less versatile than a 5”. If you just want one, get a 5” imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 28, 2018

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The area of a 6” sander is actually about a third larger than a 5” sander and they really do sand a ton faster. For sanding big flat surfaces a 6” is great to have around, but much less versatile than a 5”. If you just want one, get a 5” imo.

Your math is correct as a 5" has approx. 19.62 sq." and a 6" has approx. 28 1/4 sq". However, that presumes that they have a third more HP/amps also, which translates into torque. Generally, they didn't whenever I was A/B'ing them, so the notion of getting more done via extra sanding surface is illusory.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Your math is correct as a 5" has approx. 19.62 sq." and a 6" has approx. 28 1/4 sq". However, that presumes that they have a third more HP/amps also, which translates into torque. Generally, they didn't whenever I was A/B'ing them, so the notion of getting more done via extra sanding surface is illusory.
I hadn’t thought about a difference in power, but looking at my sanders, my 5” Ridgid is 3A and 7,000-12,000 rpm (it actually says ‘no’-number of orbits?) and the 6” Ridgid is a two handed beast that’s 4.4A and 4000-10,000 rpm. I guess make sure the motor on a bigger one is stronger-I could see with a pneumatic one how a bigger one might just get bogged down and not actually sand any faster.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I hadn’t thought about a difference in power, but looking at my sanders, my 5” Ridgid is 3A and 7,000-12,000 rpm (it actually says ‘no’-number of orbits?) and the 6” Ridgid is a two handed beast that’s 4.4A and 4000-10,000 rpm. I guess make sure the motor on a bigger one is stronger-I could see with a pneumatic one how a bigger one might just get bogged down and not actually sand any faster.

Sounds like Rigid adjusted appropriately then. I used to lust for the air powered ones too, and then lo, out came the electrics. I've still got a half sheet Makita laying on a shelf and maybe a 1/4 sheet one too.
I got a 5" Porter Cable somewhat based on the advice of the tool salesman (without the math, lol), which I've replaced 2 velcro pads on over the decades. It's 3.7 amps, so for equal power conversion, but admittedly faster hogging, I'd need something around 5.6 Amps. At the time, it was the same sander with either size pad as an option.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Figured this would be the thread to ask, I ordered some stuff from Harbor Freight. The tracking shows pending status with a city in CA which makes me think they don't warehouse anything much in the US and my order is coming from China. How long does ordering online with HF usually take?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It's definitely warehoused somewhere in the states. :fsmug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Figured this would be the thread to ask, I ordered some stuff from Harbor Freight. The tracking shows pending status with a city in CA which makes me think they don't warehouse anything much in the US and my order is coming from China. How long does ordering online with HF usually take?

Look, you don't get to buy tools that cheap without making some sacrifices.

In my experience, they are SLOW. If you didn't pay for faster shipping, you're getting FedEx Ground, or whatever the opposite of priority mail is with USPS.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I had a horrible experience with Harbor Freight just recently. I bought a cheapo woodworking bench and had it shipped. About 2 weeks after ordering, it had to be sent back to the original destination during transit due to a label issue. When it got back to the original distribution center, my tracking number disappeared as if it had been delivered, so I called HF and had them re-ship it. Not a big deal, got a new tracking number and we were off to the races again. Fast forward another 2-3 weeks and it finally arrived:

- at the wrong address (an Ave nearby with the same number and street name to my Rd. This mistake has happened before, and it's really FedEx's fault so I don't hold this against HF.)
- looking like this:

As you can see, it looks like they dropped it from a 30 ft height or something. The box was in shambles, pieces of styrofoam were everywhere, and the wood pieces themselves were anywhere from scratched to straight up broken in pieces. A later inventory confirmed about 1/4 of the pieces were missing altogether. Again, keep in mind this is some stranger's stoop that I had to collect this mess from.

I called HF and had them ship me a full replacement, and a FedEx pick-up label to ship them the old poo poo in the new box. The replacement arrived about 3 weeks later. The box wasn't in great shape, but comparatively intact. All the pieces are accounted for, but several are broken and require gluing, including the bench top, which has one of the bottoms of its corners snapped off. The kicker is that the two benches aren't even the same model so I can't swap out the pieces.

I haven't bothered shipping the old back yet (because gently caress them) nor have I glued the pieces of the new one together because I'm considered driving out to one of their stores, explaining the situation, and seeing what they can do for me.

So yeah, F---- would not recommend Harbor Freight.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Buying a premade WOODworking bench from harbor freight you say?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Buying a premade WOODworking bench from harbor freight you say?

When I had nothing I bought a premade bench from Home Depot, and then used it to make a real bench. Still have it around, mostly as a junk holder.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

When I had nothing I bought a premade bench from Home Depot, and then used it to make a real bench. Still have it around, mostly as a junk holder.

Yeah, of course I'd love to make my own bench, but I can't bootstrap my way there when I don't have a flat surface bigger than like 3'x2' to work with right now, hence buying the crap bench from Harbor Freight.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you want to get mad and accuse me of bootstrapping that's fine - I'm sorry you can't see the irony and humor in the situation.

And to be helpful, sometimes I have to build stuff in the woods for farm reasons, and have found this plate vise to be very useful for that purpose. It would be a handy addition to an incomplete HF woodworking table.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I don’t know what gave you the impression I’m mad, my dude. Bootstrap isn’t a dirty word. Believe me, I wish I could put together a bench with my current set up, but I can’t. Buying a prebuilt woodworking bench IS funny and dumb.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Buying a prebuilt woodworking bench IS funny and dumb.

I see someone like you and I get my hopes up. Another kindred spirit. Alas though, I'm only to be disappointed once again when I find out you buy your wood instead of growing it yourself.

Casual.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

bobua posted:

I see someone like you and I get my hopes up. Another kindred spirit. Alas though, I'm only to be disappointed once again when I find out you buy your wood instead of growing it yourself.

Casual.

One day in the distant future, while I shitpost in my hand-spun underpants woven from the fibers of an exotic bubinga tree I grew myself from a sapling, I will laugh as you are forced by decorum to refer to me not by username, but by my agreed-upon title: The Ina Garten of Woodworking.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Lowes or homedepot will probably let you take some cheap rear end pallets for free. Get like 5 of them and two 2x4's at 4 feet. Stack the pallets and then use the 2x4s as a brace with some screws or nails. BAM, instant table to make a better table.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I built this poo poo holder in a couple hours and Lowe’s guy cut the plywood for me since I didn’t have my table saw yet.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all/

Cost a bit more than $50 by the end of it but it was the right thing to start with and now *slaps roof of work bench* holds so much junk.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I built mine in my driveway with only a circular saw, tape measure and a drill. I used 4x4s for the legs and 2x4s for the cross pieces. A used a cut down 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood for the top. It took a few hours and it was super solid. I used it for 10 years. When I moved, the next tenants paid me $100 to leave it behind. Was it top notch wood working? No, but it was fully functional and didn't shake if I was hammering on it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Want a lift to do car work but the garage isn't tall enough for a two post.

Thoughts on this?

https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2c000-LB-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift.product.100460313.html

E. Never mind I just realized that the max height is 21 inches.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those are actually pretty good. But yeah.....the lift isn't very high. It's WAY better than jackstands. Especially if you're doing something like pulling a trans.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
WTF? I found an expiration date on the spare discs for my Dremel saw I got a few Christmases ago. What fuckery is this?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Whatever they are bonded together with probably degrades over time and they go through a lot when spinning. Personally I'd follow something like that (not to the day or week but years for sure) but I understand people make bad decisions when money is involved

coathat
May 21, 2007

Important day

https://twitter.com/sansculotides/status/1068640832641585152

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

But none of those are pickaxes. They're just picks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My 12" Bosch Glide Mitre saw was just delivered! I'm 3048km and 210 days from getting my hands on it.
(I'm living and working in Calgary, but my woodshop is back in Ontario where I spend the summers).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Blistex posted:

My 12" Bosch Glide Mitre saw was just delivered! I'm 3048km and 210 days from getting my hands on it.
(I'm living and working in Calgary, but my woodshop is back in Ontario where I spend the summers).

Free saw somewhere in Ontario! I kid, that is a sweet saw post pics of the cool stuff you make with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
So I am about to do a large amount of dirt work to restore some property and fix some flood damage. The problem is I will be solo for most of it. So what is a decent laser transit that can be used solo and doesnt cost thousands of dollars? It needs to have some decent range as I will be marking contour lines that are over 50 yards long and dont want to be constantly resetting it.