Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The main thing I remember about RahXephon is that I ordered so much jimmy john's while watching it that they put it in a high quality box and I thought "drat I'm going down a dark road"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Introduced a friend to Eva last night. His biggest takeaway was "how the gently caress are you not freaking out right now because there is a penguin with a bath towel just chilling in this drunk girl's apartment"

He asked me to introduce him to a show like BoJack Horseman and I figured hey, they're both about deeply confused people in an environment they'll never be truly comfortable in, desperately trying to figure themselves out and learn how to create healthy connections with others.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

the escape goat posted:

Introduced a friend to Eva last night. His biggest takeaway was "how the gently caress are you not freaking out right now because there is a penguin with a bath towel just chilling in this drunk girl's apartment"

He asked me to introduce him to a show like BoJack Horseman and I figured hey, they're both about deeply confused people in an environment they'll never be truly comfortable in, desperately trying to figure themselves out and learn how to create healthy connections with others.

Off topic, but the closest show to Bojack that I can think of is Moral Orel. The first couple episodes are a bit rough and overly cartoony but it quickly gets into the same mindset of Bojack - realistic and broken people with lovely pasts trying and failing to do good.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Off topic, but the closest show to Bojack that I can think of is Moral Orel. The first couple episodes are a bit rough and overly cartoony but it quickly gets into the same mindset of Bojack - realistic and broken people with lovely pasts trying and failing to do good.

let’s be real here- it gave me another excuse to watch NGE.

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here
Come to think about it: I think I've watched RahXephon more times than I've seen Evangelion. I even have two copies of Eva, so it's not because the original is out of print.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NGE's coming to Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nSISwxrY4

I'd hope the whole point would be to help get the fourth Rebuild movie out but

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1067252919982940161

Unless the social media person doesn't know what they're talking about, that'd just be Death+Rebirth and EOE.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 27, 2018

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Unless the social media person doesn't know what they're talking about, that'd be Death+Rebirth and EOE.

Maybe by then we'll get an update they finished the first draft of a brain storm for part 4.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah its definitely death rebirth and eoe

I don’t think studio Khara or Anno has ownership of the og licenses?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Words cannot describe how loving stoked I am to see the kind of word salad brain vomit all the "what the ending of [X] ACTUALLY MEANS" clickbait factories are gonna put out once Eva hits the mass market and people who have never seen it ask what the gently caress.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Awesome. Hopefully we get some kind of EoE blu-ray release out of this too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Awesome. Hopefully we get some kind of EoE blu-ray release out of this too.

please...and bring over that loving sick looking nge blu rays they put out a year or two ago in japan

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Khara studio is tweeting about it so it looks like they did have the license. I’m so stoked, been wanting to rewatch but I got all my Eva stuff on an old harddrive and didn’t want to dig it out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the whole thing from a few years ago about Gainax getting sued by Anno meaning that he/Khara effectively do hold the license? I'm kind of unclear on the whole thing, but if I remember right, wasn't it something about royalties that had gone unpaid?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

please...and bring over that loving sick looking nge blu rays they put out a year or two ago in japan
I was going to say that my Platinum DVD's still look pretty good but who the gently caress am I kidding, if they put out the TV series blu-rays too I would whatever absurd price they put on it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Btw I finished watching His & Her Circumstances about a week ago and Anno's run on that show (About the first 18 episodes) is honestly almost as good as NGE. It's worth checking out for that at least.

After episode 19 though (The one where they just didn't have the budget I guess? The "animation" literally consists of the cutouts of the characters taped to popsicle sticks) the show goes downhill pretty hard.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I for one cannot wait for the world at large to be exposed to EoE Shinji

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
My first experience watching this series was being stoned and shown episodes 25, 26, and EoE completely blind (other than whatever I osmosed from the internet, which basically meant I knew it was hosed up but had no clue what I was in for). Boy howdy :psyboom:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Teenage Fansub posted:

NGE's coming to Netflix.

Unless the social media person doesn't know what they're talking about, that'd just be Death+Rebirth and EOE.

"Worldwide streaming debut"

heh....heh...heh

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Hell yes, it’s gonna rule when dumb parents are all, “oh here a cartoon for my kid to watch so I can nap,” and put this on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Hell yes, it’s gonna rule when dumb parents are all, “oh here a cartoon for my kid to watch so I can nap,” and put this on.

It'll go like this I expect:
https://youtu.be/o8-uDjNq4fA

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

This is gonna be great, especially when the idiots at kotaku who haven't seen Eva at all get exposed to that scene in EoE. Hoooo boy the torches are gonna be out for that one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Scyantific posted:

This is gonna be great, especially when the idiots at kotaku who haven't seen Eva at all get exposed to that scene in EoE. Hoooo boy the torches are gonna be out for that one.

This is a weird take. Maybe take a step back

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
No he’s right it’s definitely going down. Like all of the negative hit pieces that Eva is going to generate as these people watch it for the first time. I would imagine people at Kotaku have seen the show but other outlets I can easily see this happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean gleefully waiting for people to post something you disagree with is strange as gently caress.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just don't want to read a million debates about what the word "deconstruction" means again.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
congratulations

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe I'm just a naive little snowflake but I'm having trouble imaging people being, like, newly incensed at Evangelion in 2018. Like were we not as a collective people were able to finally get over it and just, well like it as a work on its own if it was up your alley (or not if it wasn't).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean gleefully waiting for people to post something you disagree with is strange as gently caress.

It is definitely incredibly brokebrained to react to good news that makes a classic more accessible with, fear or anticipation over bad posts that may or may not even happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe I'm just a naive little snowflake but I'm having trouble imaging people being, like, newly incensed at Evangelion in 2018. Like were we not as a collective people were able to finally get over it and just, well like it as a work on its own if it was up your alley (or not if it wasn't).

I think the only scene they would care about is the masturbation scene and the most you will get is man that was weird and dumb and then everyone will move on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Srice posted:

It is definitely incredibly brokebrained to react to good news that makes a classic more accessible with, fear or anticipation over bad posts that may or may not even happen.

Yeah it’s just nice to get to watch the series in hopefully non shaky cam

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

It's criminal they didn't use bits from the original score for this teaser. I'd even settle for music from the rebuilds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The madturbation scene is incredible, one of the strongest opening moments in any film I've seen

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have a bit of a complicated relationship with Evangelion. Right now, though? I'm honestly happy as heck that the OG series will get to have a new shot in the limelight. It's a series with a lot of merits and that, despite everything, has aged remarkably well. One thing I'm curious about, though (and apologies if the :speculate: angle is not appreciated): Is Netflix planning to get the Rebuild Movies as well? They musta paid out the wazoo license-wise, so it honestly kinda feels like a preamble to them getting the Rebuild movies. Of course, that could be its own behemoth to tackle, but again, I'm sincerely curious.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
That trailer really loving sucked

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wark Say posted:

I have a bit of a complicated relationship with Evangelion. Right now, though? I'm honestly happy as heck that the OG series will get to have a new shot in the limelight. It's a series with a lot of merits and that, despite everything, has aged remarkably well. One thing I'm curious about, though (and apologies if the :speculate: angle is not appreciated): Is Netflix planning to get the Rebuild Movies as well? They musta paid out the wazoo license-wise, so it honestly kinda feels like a preamble to them getting the Rebuild movies. Of course, that could be its own behemoth to tackle, but again, I'm sincerely curious.

It would be so dope if they put stealth add all the rebuilds when the last movie comes out. HEY A MAN CAN DREAM Ok

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

John DiFool posted:

It's criminal they didn't use bits from the original score for this teaser. I'd even settle for music from the rebuilds.

As far as I know Netflix almost never actually uses the score from anime they license in their trailers, its weird.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HoneyBoy posted:

That trailer really loving sucked
They didn’t even use the drums. What were they doing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
hot take: I'd rather newcomers watch Rebuild 1 than the tv episodes it covers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the only scene they would care about is the masturbation scene and the most you will get is man that was weird and dumb and then everyone will move on.

There's also the scene with the other type of choking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

hot take: I'd rather newcomers watch Rebuild 1 than the tv episodes it covers.

This isn't a hot take, it's a shot for shot remake of the original 6 episodes with better animation. I think the pacing of the tv show is more interesting and there's more time to linger on images and scenes, so I'd suggest people just skip Rebuild 1 but w/e. Whenever I rewatch the series I skip Rebuild 1, it's kind of a lame movie in its own right.