Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Made another video of my Turbo Raven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0rF2HbVego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Fighting the temptation to get a Nano Goblin from RMRC. 92 bucks for the PNP. The 2s Li-on batteries being back ordered helps though. It seems close enough to my CTH Assassin I'm not sure it's worth it?

I did not win. Or the R9m+R9mm combo for 55 CAD.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 23, 2018

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Money wasting season netted me a 2m wing, a 7" long range quad, some batteries and misc hardware. gently caress.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have zero time/use for a massive wing but after hearing one fly I wanted one so bad. They sound so dangerous.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea I will post the hand surgery pics after I gently caress up launching.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We bungee launch ours with a pvc ramp and it works fine. I've seen a relatively new flyer hand launch an x8 though in full manual.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

moron izzard posted:

hand launch an x8 though in full manual.
You mean solo? Fuuuuuck that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBIVaecTXgA&t=131s

yiiiikes

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 24, 2018

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Was doing hand launches with a FX-79 Buffalo (2m) for a while for some mapping work. It sucked pretty hard. If you didn’t get the angle of attack and the speed just right it would snap roll into the ground and there wasn’t anything the autopilot or manual pilot could do about it. If you got it right it was fine and once in the air it was a kitten but after a few gently caress ups we switched to a plane with wheels.

When lightly loaded it was fine but with a big camera and plenty of battery it was hairy.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Looks like a prime time to invest in those chef chain mail gloves. I only have a smallish 39" wing, nice and easy to launch it from the wing tip.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 26, 2018

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
No chainmail necessary for this lil' tyke I hope:

I've soldered tinier stuff but the deep well cockpit and short wire length has made it kind of a PITA so far. Still waiting on an fpv cam, so this is just a test fit / configure stuff before everything gets hot glued in place. Also first time messing with crossfire, weeeee.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Looking forward to getting mine up and running. Sadly no idea when they'll have the 2s Li-ion packs back in stock though for it to ship.

In the mean time, I'm tempted to get a ground based FPV thing going. Just not sure If I want to go REAL cheap, and get something like this, then swap out the Rx and add FPV.
https://www.banggood.com/2811-2_4G-...r_warehouse=USA

Or low end hobby level and something like this, which would definitely handle the cut grass fields I'm thinking of. The other one, not so much.
https://www.banggood.com/Syaheli-112-2_4G-4WD-Desert-Off-Road-Truck-Eagle-3-RC-Car-FY03-p-984621.html?ID=228&cur_warehouse=CN

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
The 2s 18650 packs with the fatshark barrel connector are, from what rcgroups has led me to believe, the same cells with a call protection unit on one end. I opened the pack up and got rid of that and used the cheaper pack in the nano gob v and haven't had any problems so far

Edit: oh, and yeah the deep narrow fuselage compartment really is the worst outside of dlg pods I've had to cram electronics into.

bullets cure cops fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 28, 2018

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
You can also just buy cells from LiIon Wholesale, some wire and balance connectors and XT30’s and heat shrink from the ‘zon, and make your own packs. It’s fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, do you have a rack welder?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh, do you have a rack welder?

Live a little - go fast and hot w/ your soldering iron and plenty of flux. I've done it and it works.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Just scrape the plating off the ends of the cell with a dremel before you solder to it, and do it quickly. It works fine.

I built two 3S5P packs like this (11.1V, 15000mAh, total of 15 cells in each pack) for an endurance project and they came out great. A++ would spend a whole day inhaling solder fumes again

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Just scrape the plating off the ends of the cell with a dremel before you solder to it, and do it quickly. It works fine.

I built two 3S5P packs like this (11.1V, 15000mAh, total of 15 cells in each pack) for an endurance project and they came out great. A++ would spend a whole day inhaling solder fumes again

I've found just a really, really, hot iron, tin the cell first.. and lots of flux will do it. Batteries are serious heat sinks though, so lots of heat and fast.

so while we're on the subject, where's the reliable place to get 18650 cells?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nerobro posted:

I've found just a really, really, hot iron, tin the cell first.. and lots of flux will do it. Batteries are serious heat sinks though, so lots of heat and fast.

I have had good luck with LiIon Wholesale like I posted earlier. Although it’s been my only experience with 18650’s, all 32 cells I ordered did exactly what they said so I have no reason to believe they weren’t genuine LG.

Their prices are as good as anything and they have a good selection.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Kids glider assembly thanksgiving weekend was a smashing success! I brought enough cut foam to make 4x planes and we each made one in about an hour and a half total. My 70 year old Dad even made one, which shocked me (because normally he would rather just look at his iPhone). We fitted two with flight controllers, 2x servos, receivers and batteries and had a good time throwing them around. Longest flight was only about 35 seconds though which I think the kids were a little disappointed with after the initial excitement wore off. I had also prepared the servos centered and with linkage stoppers so the pushrod bending wouldn't take any time, and I think that saved a lot. Thanks again for the insight, evil_bunnY.

Nerobro posted:

I have bought from imrbatteries.com a few times and every battery that I've bought from them has tested out as the proper capacity, although I can only test up to 10W draw with full accuracy. I use the Samsung 25R (20A 2500mAh, $4) in a lot of projects but I've gotten some LG, Panasonic, and some Efest and IMREN high current ones as well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I have a 2 meter plane (skyeye..) that needs a battery pack. :-) I like the idea of flying it on 18650s.

I also need to pick up another APM.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of 18650s, I made a lot of Fatshark packs out of some new 3000mah INR18650F1L cells. They're rated for a max of 4.8A (ehh...) but perfect for goggles. They have a barrel jack on them, and a balance lead. I'm looking for mostly just the cost of parts, at this point -- so like $7 per pack + shipping?

I originally got them to build a long-distance plane pack, but couldn't get them competitive with the 18650GA's.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Kids glider assembly thanksgiving weekend was a smashing success! I brought enough cut foam to make 4x planes and we each made one in about an hour and a half total. My 70 year old Dad even made one, which shocked me (because normally he would rather just look at his iPhone). We fitted two with flight controllers, 2x servos, receivers and batteries and had a good time throwing them around. Longest flight was only about 35 seconds though which I think the kids were a little disappointed with after the initial excitement wore off. I had also prepared the servos centered and with linkage stoppers so the pushrod bending wouldn't take any time, and I think that saved a lot. Thanks again for the insight, evil_bunnY.
You have no idea how happy that makes me. What did you end up using for FCs?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What are you guys using to charge your 18650 packs?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

What are you guys using to charge your 18650 packs?

A standard lipo charger will do it in most cases.

I'm currently building a 12S4P pack with a built in BMS and got a 50.4v charger just for that.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Hmm... I tried making a 4S pack of LG MJ1 cells a while back and recall my charger hated the pack voltage getting too low. I would have to put it in NiMH mode, trickle the pack up to a working voltage, and then charge it the rest of the way in LiPo mode. Super annoying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Most chargers have a li-ion mode is what he meant. Don’t charge li-ion on li-po settings if you can avoid it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Most chargers have a li-ion mode is what he meant. Don’t charge li-ion on li-po settings if you can avoid it.

No, I mean li-ion mode. However, I forgot that chargers dislike cell voltage below 3v.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No, I mean li-ion mode. However, I forgot that chargers dislike cell voltage below 3v.
That's so dumb li-ion's can go down way lower. 2,5 I think?

And now I’m reminded of my dumb fat sharks and their fixed low volt alarm again and argh. Furious makes a supposedly smart case for 18650’s and it looks so fiddly and annoying, and will still alarm at 3.5.

Literally all I need from you is a regulator that’ll power over the alarm voltage when cells are over the threshold, and under the fat shark alarm voltage when they’re not so the goggles will beep. That’s it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 29, 2018

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

A standard lipo charger will do it in most cases.

I'm currently building a 12S4P pack with a built in BMS and got a 50.4v charger just for that.

Mind if I ask what BMS you are using?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

Mind if I ask what BMS you are using?

Different seller (can't find it right now), but this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12S...dc-03003f76cd10

Ended up building a battery spot welder too, so it's been a bit of a project.

evil_bunnY: I have the furious case and it has adjustable warning.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

You have no idea how happy that makes me. What did you end up using for FCs?
I had two Omnibus F4 Pro V2 boards that I bought for $15/ea from Aliexpress. They are super-great for fixed wing folks because they're just about the cheapest F4 controller out there and it has
  • BME280 barometer
  • MPU6000 accelerometer / gyro
  • OSD (and the video VCC has a small LC filter)
  • MicroSD for blackbox logging
  • 3x UARTS, although I think one is dedicated to PPM/SBUS. I put my IBUS receiver on one and GPS on the other (no compass).
  • Voltage / Current monitoring
  • 5V/3A UBEC. I power everything from this and on these 5-9g micro servos it hasn't been an issue with brownouts
  • Buzzer output pins (no buzzer)
  • Addressable LED output pins
  • 2x motor outputs, 4x servo outputs (but only 2x servo outputs have full sets of 3 pins)

The only part I don't like is that last bit because I always have to make soldered wire harnesses to go to the ailerons instead of just using off the shelf servo extensions. It also kinda sucks that the USB port is on the side so you either have to mount it facing up (roll=90) or cut a side hole for access. You can't beat that cost though for a first-class F4 flight controller. You also have to watch out when you buy them because the "Pro" has a linear BEC (yuk), the "V3 Pro" doesn't have current monitoring (I think this is actually just a lie that it is a Pro), and I've also seen "V4 Pro" and "V5 Pro" which are nothing like this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY: I have the furious case and it has adjustable warning.
Down to 2.5? That’d be poggers

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ayup.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://imgur.com/9Tz2Zhx.gifv

I can't for the life of me figure out how imbed gifv's anymore.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 6, 2018

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It's not often you get to see a video like this, most people wouldn't want to share this.

Goblin doing 200+ MPH has an ESC blow then eats poo poo at 140 MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBt4TaEyKpI

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh, the BEC failed.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yep, pay no mind to that instant where the power spiked up to 1600 watts, that surely had nothing to do with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why does he have the altimeter blanked out? Is he flying illegally?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The limit is 400 feet in the US, and a lot of people cover that up yeah. They also usually cover up their GPS coords just to prevent people from figuring out who they are and where they fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to snoop RC protocol traffic from a second ground-based module somehow? I'd like to pull the telemetry from my FlySky receiver into a second device for recording and processing but don't want to buy a separate telemetry transmitter for the model itself. Surely there has to be a way to just passively listen to the telemetry data that's already in the air and being displayed on my Taranis.

I looked around RC Groups and everything I can find there seems to be full-blown ground stations with way more equipment than I need. I was hoping I could grab like another iRangeX module and hook its telemetry stream to a microcontroller that does what I want, which is point my big mirrorless camera at the model and zoom appropriately for the range. I'm tired of trying to find a hat camera that doesn't look like awful when I have a $900 mirrorless with a tripod, servos, and all the GPS data I need already floating through the air.