Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Barudak posted:

Wait, are we supposed to believe he actually has a bad heart? I thought that was supposed to be another con.

I think it's more that it's an easy label to describe him. He definitely states he was faking the heart condition as he starts rowing away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it's more that it's an easy label to describe him. He definitely states he was faking the heart condition as he starts rowing away.

This is why you never trust amateur horrible people.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

That's how I'm head-canon-ing it at the moment.

I hope they actually show Kinga and Max doing a few riffs next season. I liked the mirror-universe Clay and Frank thing and the time when Pearl riffed with the bots.

I've found MST3K is an easy thing to put on in the background during the baby's fussiest "Need all the attention" hours, so I threw on The Crawling Eye last night. I can see why people don't like season 1, but I still like how charmingly goofy things like RAM chips and Dumb Dragon Gypsy, whose puppet is so loud you can't hear what she's saying. It's also fun to watch the way the show has grown.

Crawling Eye is a decent episode! Though it could be that I just like movie's alpine setting.

There's just something cozy about old MST for me. Took me a bit to feel the same about the SciFi years, but it's got it too. I'll get there eventually with the Netflix seasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Failson posted:

Crawling Eye is a decent episode! Though it could be that I just like movie's alpine setting.

It's one of the 'if you're going to watch S1 watch this episode' episodes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's one of the 'if you're going to watch S1 watch this episode' episodes.

I feel like Robot Holocaust is that movie for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The entire Sister-Wife plot point in Ator is so loving weird because it is so unnecessary. Absolutely nothing would have been different if it was just some other random lady from the village.

Also the "Ator, we just went over this" riff got a big laugh in my house.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One underrated riff in Atlantic Rim: Joel Hodgson?!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

muscles like this! posted:

The entire Sister-Wife plot point in Ator is so loving weird because it is so unnecessary. Absolutely nothing would have been different if it was just some other random lady from the village.

Also the "Ator, we just went over this" riff got a big laugh in my house.

Seriously. Its a dumb thing but you think okay, maybe they'll wring a little drama and pathos out of it. Maybe it'll pay off at the end of the movie. Then thirty seconds after his sister saying "We can't, we're related" his dad says "Haha actually you're not!" The only way it could have been more pointless is if he'd been in the same scene instead of the very next one.

Makes me wonder if there was a earlier draft where it was an actual running thread, and someone couldn't bear to cut it completely when they were told it was weird and unnecessary.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

I feel like Robot Holocaust is that movie for me.

Mine's Untamed Youth, although I'm sure we can find a positive vote for most of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

One underrated riff in Atlantic Rim: Joel Hodgson?!

He really does look like Joel from about 30 years ago

Caros
May 14, 2008

Not Operator posted:

Seriously. Its a dumb thing but you think okay, maybe they'll wring a little drama and pathos out of it. Maybe it'll pay off at the end of the movie. Then thirty seconds after his sister saying "We can't, we're related" his dad says "Haha actually you're not!" The only way it could have been more pointless is if he'd been in the same scene instead of the very next one.

Makes me wonder if there was a earlier draft where it was an actual running thread, and someone couldn't bear to cut it completely when they were told it was weird and unnecessary.

If I had to guess, the writer couldn't come up with a convincing way to explain why the father was telling him now as opposed to later.

The writer is still a hack, because there is like 5000 better ways than being a sister fucker, but still.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Caros posted:

If I had to guess, the writer couldn't come up with a convincing way to explain why the father was telling him now as opposed to later.

The writer is still a hack, because there is like 5000 better ways than being a sister fucker, but still.

Do we know if Ator is based on a book series?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huh, the blonde lady in Killer Fish actually was Ernest Hemingway's granddaughter.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
My favorite Season One episode is Moon Zero Two.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

Moon zero two is fantastic. You have good taste.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Do we know if Ator is based on a book series?

It is not, it was made whole cloth to cash in on the Conan film

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mace Bacon posted:

agreed

it was in the turkey day marathon and I had never seen it before, what a good pick

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

I forgot that was Season 1. I love love love that episode.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mace Bacon posted:

I still need to see that one, but I stand by Robot Monster as my favorite S1. It's the same thing that I like about the Coleman Francis movies-there's something about how bleak everything is that fools me into believing "this is one budget and experienced director away from being good".

Then again, Robot Monster does come with two doses of Commander Cody :barf:

On the subject of the new seasons, the one thing I wish they'd do is stick around and riff during the credits. "CREW?? They had a crew? I do not believe they had a crew!"

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Here's a hot take: I think Sidehackers is a legit good nihlistic late 60s slow burn film.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
jc is a legitimately, believably terrifying character. i've known dudes like him before

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It would be neat to see any of the groups take on more <blank>sploitation films. RiffTrax has the wonderful The Guy From Harlem and Death Promise for blacksploitation (both of which I recommend if somebody's never seen them the next time RT has a sale or you get lucky and catch them on the Twitch channel), but I expect the trick is to find one they don't have to massively edit and would still be entertaining enough to riff.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Dawgstar posted:

It would be neat to see any of the groups take on more <blank>sploitation films. RiffTrax has the wonderful The Guy From Harlem and Death Promise for blacksploitation (both of which I recommend if somebody's never seen them the next time RT has a sale or you get lucky and catch them on the Twitch channel), but I expect the trick is to find one they don't have to massively edit and would still be entertaining enough to riff.

I think these are both on Amazon Prime and they're both incredible. Death Promise is amazing even without the riffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMtWePgzB4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I miss credits riffing, mostly because title riffing is usually one of my favorite parts. I have to laugh that the first thing dropped for the new season was the fan letters.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm hoping the time cuts are just for this season. i'm guessing they're because netflix wanted something binge-able despite the fact fans watch 6 full length episodes every thanksgiving

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

I think these are both on Amazon Prime and they're both incredible. Death Promise is amazing even without the riffing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMtWePgzB4

The only problem with Death Promise is that its theme song (or more accurately its chorus "THAT'S A PROMISE!") gets stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GUY FROM HARLEM!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

GUY FROM HARLEM!

UNH!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i want to show my friends who are into rifftrax/mst3k guy from harlem but i'd be the only black guy there and it would be awkward as gently caress

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dawgstar posted:

The only problem with Death Promise is that its theme song (or more accurately its chorus "THAT'S A PROMISE!") gets stuck in my head the rest of the day.

~I'm gonna BLOW YOUR MIIIIIIND!!!~

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite part of The Guy From Harlem is The Guy (from Harlem) orders a New York strip steak and some kind of booze but orders them in exactly the way you'd do so if you wanted to completely ruin the both of them. Kevin has a minor breakdown over it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I bought Setting Up A Room after the discussion a page or two ago...

IT'S A HALF HOUR LONG?! :psyduck:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i want to show my friends who are into rifftrax/mst3k guy from harlem but i'd be the only black guy there and it would be awkward as gently caress

bad posts ahead!!!'s friends are all muscular white guys with red hair... but nobody has ever seen them before!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gaz-L posted:

I bought Setting Up A Room after the discussion a page or two ago...

IT'S A HALF HOUR LONG?! :psyduck:

We have such sights to show you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite part of The Guy From Harlem is The Guy (from Harlem) orders a New York strip steak and some kind of booze but orders them in exactly the way you'd do so if you wanted to completely ruin the both of them. Kevin has a minor breakdown over it.

He orders J&B Scotch and TWO New York Strip Steaks, well done.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Gavok posted:

bad posts ahead!!!'s friends are all muscular white guys with red hair... but nobody has ever seen them before!

they also have moles shaped like italy on their left armpits but nobody's ever SEEN them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

He orders J&B Scotch and TWO New York Strip Steaks, well done.

:stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy From Harlem is a weird movie because it is clearly someone trying to write a "cool" character but has absolutely no idea how someone like that would act.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thought of almost any steak being well-done hurts me physically.

Just eat charcoal if that's what you wanna do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

please let's not with the steak doneness

(sir would you like a real scotch?j&bisliterallythewor--*click*)