Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

cyxx posted:

Are there any resources to see rough averages of wood prices? I'm from southern california so I have no idea what wood should be costing in this part of the world. I was a little antsy about buying wood because I had no idea if I was spending too much.

It varies a lot by location, presumably because transporting wood is expensive. Most of us I think just find a local lumberyard that has a decent selection and put up with what they charge, but probably if you're going through a lot of material (like, you're a pro cabinetmaker or something) then it pays to shop around. That said, I've never seen prices online that were remotely competitive with buying in-person. "Shopping around" would probably look like "go on a road trip to visit a bunch of lumberyards, figure out which one has what you want, then rent a U-Haul / ask them to send their delivery truck out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cyxx posted:

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it! I called the store and they confirmed that the prices were in bf (even though the tag at the bottom had a big L after the price so I thought it meant lineal feet). I'll go there this weekend and check out the boards and will decide which works the best. I do have a router and planer (I am one of those guys that buys poo poo that is currently way out of my skill and knowledge level because it's on sale), so I have more options that I thought.

Are there any resources to see rough averages of wood prices? I'm from southern california so I have no idea what wood should be costing in this part of the world. I was a little antsy about buying wood because I had no idea if I was spending too much.
It varies tremendously by where you are located, grade of lumber, wholesale vs. retail, and the individual place you are buying. I usually buy FAS (Firsts And Seconds, the highest grade) becasue it is what my lumberyard mostly stocks. Especially if you are working on smaller stuff and can work around knots, buying #1 or #2 Common can save you alot. Sugar pine (which is really lovely wood) grows 200 miles from you and you can probably buy it for $2/ft as construction lumber-someone has to haul it 2000 miles to get it to me so it's $4/bf here. Baldcypress grows in my back yard and is cheap here, but probably much more expensive/not as available on the west coast. Thicker lumber usually costs more than 4/4 per board foot, and also the board footage adds up fast. Odd thicknesses like 5/4 and 6/4 always seem more expensive than I think they should be. Wall lumber usually has prices that seem like good fair retail on the East Coast http://www.walllumber.com/products.asp Take whatever Hearne Hardwoods has listed and halve it and you get a reasonable price.

As a ballpark, for me on the Gulf Coast, buying wholesale (I'd expect retail to be 50+% higher?) and rough FAS 4/4 stuff I'm paying in the neighborhood of:
Ash:$2-3/bf
Cherry:$3.50-4.50/bf
Cypress:$2-3
Soft maple (sometimes you can find curly in the paint grade pile!):$2-$3/bf
Hard maple:$3.50-4.50/bf
African mahogany/Sapele/Spanish Cedar:$4-5/bf
Genuine Mahogany:$10-12/bf
Red Oak:$2-3/bf
White Oak:$4-5/bf
Poplar-$1.5--2/bf
C/Btr (Clear) SYP: $2/bf
Walnut:$6-7/bf

Edit:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It varies a lot by location, presumably because transporting wood is expensive. Most of us I think just find a local lumberyard that has a decent selection and put up with what they charge, but probably if you're going through a lot of material (like, you're a pro cabinetmaker or something) then it pays to shop around. That said, I've never seen prices online that were remotely competitive with buying in-person. "Shopping around" would probably look like "go on a road trip to visit a bunch of lumberyards, figure out which one has what you want, then rent a U-Haul / ask them to send their delivery truck out."
Spot on. Unless you live in a major metro area there's probably just one or maybe two options, and you're just going to have to pay what they're charging. Except for exotics you can't get locally, you won't save anything buying online because shipping will eat you up. I'm very lucky to have a major distributor near me that lets me buy from them (with a $300 minimum!) and I never complain and don't get too picky. Buy the guys in the warehouse lunch or bring them donuts and always help them re-stack stuff if they let you pick through it and they'll hopefully not be too big of dicks.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 29, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There's two decent lumber yards in the Twin Cities, one more consumer- and one more business-oriented. Maybe it's because I'm in Minnesota and everyone here is Nice, but I've never had an unpleasant interaction with a lumber yard employee. Usually they're busy with their own things, so they answer my question or pull a stack off the wall for me and go back to their own thing. I've even spent literal hours sorting through some stacks, never heard a peep. Of course I always restack things when I'm done.

Red oak's probably the cheapest hardwood. $100 for enough lumber for a table sounds like a good deal to me, even for red oak. My cabinet project came in well over $500 in white oak. I check the price list on the wall when I visit, just to choose primary and secondary materials from what they have available.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
You guys are making me feel lucky I live in Dallas. I usually call 4-5 lumber yards to get pricing and go to best one. They are all in the same general area so drive time is all the same. There is also Rockler, Woodcraft, and Woodworld within 15 miles of me but I only hit them up for tools and turning kits as their wood prices suck for the most part. Price wise is about the same as you Kaiser but we have a ton of hickory/mesquite for cheap as hell (free all over craigslist).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On a different note, I live on a 5000-sqft lot with no trees (not since I hired someone to take down the cedars that were toppling one fence), and I'm scared of felling trees. And I still want the bandsaw mill in this video.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve never actually worked with hickory-do you like it? There’s a mill here that cuts and sells it and a bunch of low grade swamp hardwoods for really cheap, but I’ve never bought any. I’ve thought about it for drawer sides/runners, but not sure it’s stable enough.

I spent a few weeks working on a big pecan cabinet and that was the most awful, stringy, fuzzy (yet somehow still unpleasantly hard?) warpy wood I’ve every dealt with and it turned me off of hickory/pecan. I don’t think it was dried very well, but but it didn’t really look like much in any case-sort of like coarse grained streaky ash or something. I’ve had hickory axe handles and stuff turn a really nice pleasant amber/brown like chestnut and could see it really being pretty in the right use.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So right now I think I’m asking for the Kreg Benchtop router table seen here:

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c35/router-table-systems/p141/precision-benchtop-router-table/

I need to figure out if anyone knows (or can tell me how I would determine) if my router would work.

It’s this Ridgid:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-11-Amp-2-HP-1-2-in-Corded-Fixed-Base-Router-R22002/202739521

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lowes has a good deal on a 30 piece router but set

https://m.lowes.com/pd/SKIL-30-Piece-Router-Bit-Set/1059237

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

coathat posted:

Lowes has a good deal on a 30 piece router but set

https://m.lowes.com/pd/SKIL-30-Piece-Router-Bit-Set/1059237

Are those bits decent? I need to get a router soon and bits as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
They're not gonna be great bits, but they should be adequate. A set like that is a good place to start, considering that good bits cost $50+ apiece and you won't know which ones you actually want in high quality until you've worked with a router for awhile.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's like a requirement that you have the generic router bit set, because everyone does. It's stuff to start with and then later on they will get you out of a pinch. Get a kit (pretty much any kit) and then buy good quality bits one at a time as you find out what you use often.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hypnolobster posted:

It's like a requirement that you have the generic router bit set, because everyone does. It's stuff to start with and then later on they will get you out of a pinch. Get a kit (pretty much any kit) and then buy good quality bits one at a time as you find out what you use often.

This is true. Or you can be an idiot like me and just go buy a Diablo bit (or Rockler when Diablo doesn't have what you need) for 30-50 dollars a bit. It's not the best way to go for a beginner, but I keep telling myself at least I'm getting quality.... :)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

You guys are making me feel lucky I live in Dallas. I usually call 4-5 lumber yards to get pricing and go to best one. They are all in the same general area so drive time is all the same. There is also Rockler, Woodcraft, and Woodworld within 15 miles of me but I only hit them up for tools and turning kits as their wood prices suck for the most part. Price wise is about the same as you Kaiser but we have a ton of hickory/mesquite for cheap as hell (free all over craigslist).

That's nuts that mesquite is so cheap there. It's pretty hard to get anything worthwhile out of a typical tree though, right? A rich rear end in a top hat around here ordered a bunch of mesquite flooring for a room in his hacienda and it was around :10bux: a foot 15 years ago. I think he had it milled in N.M.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

On a different note, I live on a 5000-sqft lot with no trees (not since I hired someone to take down the cedars that were toppling one fence), and I'm scared of felling trees. And I still want the bandsaw mill in this video.

LOL. I actually unboxed and assembled that very same saw for my neighbour down the lake. I sharpen her blades, and she brings me free walnut logs. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The parts they don’t ever show you are the part when you stack the (heavy green) boards about 4 times, the part where you get powder post beetles in all of it, and the part where it warps really badly in drying (especially sweetgum).

Feenix posted:

So right now I think I’m asking for the Kreg Benchtop router table seen here:

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c35/router-table-systems/p141/precision-benchtop-router-table/

I need to figure out if anyone knows (or can tell me how I would determine) if my router would work.

It’s this Ridgid:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-11-Amp-2-HP-1-2-in-Corded-Fixed-Base-Router-R22002/202739521
I think with that table you just bolt your router base upside down to the bottom side of the table insert so it should be pretty universal unless your router has a freakishly huge base or handles in just the wrong place or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cyxx posted:

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it! I called the store and they confirmed that the prices were in bf (even though the tag at the bottom had a big L after the price so I thought it meant lineal feet). I'll go there this weekend and check out the boards and will decide which works the best. I do have a router and planer (I am one of those guys that buys poo poo that is currently way out of my skill and knowledge level because it's on sale), so I have more options that I thought.

Did you see the Nick Offerman woodworking book, Good Clean Fun? His shop is in southern california, and IIRC he had some stuff to say about sourcing wood. One thing to consider is trying to find reclaimed/recycled/sustainable wood, which is more of a possibility here in california than in a lot of other places.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think with that table you just bolt your router base upside down to the bottom side of the table insert so it should be pretty universal unless your router has a freakishly huge base or handles in just the wrong place or something.

I called. It comes with a blank phenolic(sp?) plate I can drill. As long as your router disc is 4+" you should be good. :)

[edit] Is that Nick Offerman book good? I can ask for it for Xmas.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The parts they don’t ever show you are the part when you stack the (heavy green) boards about 4 times, the part where you get powder post beetles in all of it, and the part where it warps really badly in drying (especially sweetgum).

Yeah, that's fair. And I'm a very slow carpenter, so arguably I don't need large quantities of wet lumber anyway. But I like the idea of making my own pieces from a tree I cut down myself. It's like the people that buy gigantic pickup trucks to drive to their office jobs, except less environmentally unfriendly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feenix posted:

I called. It comes with a blank phenolic(sp?) plate I can drill. As long as your router disc is 4+" you should be good. :)

[edit] Is that Nick Offerman book good? I can ask for it for Xmas.

Do you like Nick Offerman? It's a fair amount of him being amusing, a dozen or so woodworking projects for the beginner to middling woodworker, and some random stuff. As an Offerman fan I liked it, but I would not view it as the one or best intro book for someone looking to get into woodworking.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Leperflesh posted:

Do you like Nick Offerman? It's a fair amount of him being amusing, a dozen or so woodworking projects for the beginner to middling woodworker, and some random stuff. As an Offerman fan I liked it, but I would not view it as the one or best intro book for someone looking to get into woodworking.

No no.
Entertainment with a side of possible inspiration. I’ve got a bit of a recent man crush on Nick. Figured this would be a good stocking stuffer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah in that case you'll definitely like it! It will not fit in a stocking, though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah in that case you'll definitely like it! It will not fit in a stocking, though.

You clearly have not seen my Nick Offerman-esque MAN-STOCKING.

(jk)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

They're not gonna be great bits, but they should be adequate. A set like that is a good place to start, considering that good bits cost $50+ apiece and you won't know which ones you actually want in high quality until you've worked with a router for awhile.

I like to buy those kits for a "core" set and then spend a little extra on the specialty bits as I need them. If I need to replace one of the core bits I just buy another cheapo bit.

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's nuts that mesquite is so cheap there. It's pretty hard to get anything worthwhile out of a typical tree though, right? A rich rear end in a top hat around here ordered a bunch of mesquite flooring for a room in his hacienda and it was around :10bux: a foot 15 years ago. I think he had it milled in N.M.

poo poo is everywhere in Texas. Majority of it is chopped up and sold for barbecue wood. If you want anything in length you need to find it before it is felled/chopped up and offer to haul it off for free. People generally chop down as much as they can on their property as its an rear end in a top hat tree with long as spikes sticking out all over it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I carved myself a sign out of cherry. What would be a good thing to rub on it? It's going to live inside and won't be in the line of fire, so it doesn't need to be durable.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

poo poo is everywhere in Texas. Majority of it is chopped up and sold for barbecue wood. If you want anything in length you need to find it before it is felled/chopped up and offer to haul it off for free. People generally chop down as much as they can on their property as its an rear end in a top hat tree with long as spikes sticking out all over it.

That was the impression I had. I knew it was good for smoking and barbeque, but that flooring of his was really richly figured, even the voids in it had character.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

dupersaurus posted:

I carved myself a sign out of cherry. What would be a good thing to rub on it? It's going to live inside and won't be in the line of fire, so it doesn't need to be durable.
I think cherry is my favorite wood for an oiled finish and oil is my favorite finish for cherry. A few coats of plain boiled linseed oil is all it needs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is BLO good for garden furniture?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hypnolobster posted:

And if you're like me, that never happens because it hurts too much to pay that much for such a small thing. So you just hardly ever use the router.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think cherry is my favorite wood for an oiled finish and oil is my favorite finish for cherry. A few coats of plain boiled linseed oil is all it needs.

Really? I think Cherry takes linseed oil terribly... not that it's blotchy, just that it doesn't do anything for it. At least linseed which is my go to. Mineral oil sure, but linseed hardly does anything to Cherry.

Now Utile/Sipo Mahogany completely changes with linseed. From meh, to rich redish brown.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The only thing that does anything to cherry is time and UV. It's pretty much hideous until the salmon color goes away, and then it's gorgeous.

His Divine Shadow posted:

And if you're like me, that never happens because it hurts too much to pay that much for such a small thing. So you just hardly ever use the router.
Buying really good solid carbide spiral bits is the best. They cut so well it completely transforms the routing experience.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is BLO good for garden furniture?

No.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hypnolobster posted:

The only thing that does anything to cherry is time and UV. It's pretty much hideous until the salmon color goes away, and then it's gorgeous.

Buying really good solid carbide spiral bits is the best. They cut so well it completely transforms the routing experience.
Potassium bichromate or a weak solution of lye will age/oxidize it quickly, though both are kind of hazardous and only effect the heartwood. Lockwood’s ‘Natural Antique Cherry’ is a good dye color that will blend the sap a bit.

I just found out there’s a store near me that carries the full line of Whiteside router bits. It’s been bad for the bank account and good for the wood. I got a 2” spiral carbine pattern bit and it’s changed my life (for only $104!)

xwing posted:

Really? I think Cherry takes linseed oil terribly... not that it's blotchy, just that it doesn't do anything for it. At least linseed which is my go to. Mineral oil sure, but linseed hardly does anything to Cherry.

Now Utile/Sipo Mahogany completely changes with linseed. From meh, to rich redish brown.
I’ve always liked what it does for cherry and haven’t had any problems with absorption, but different strokes for different folks. I usually cut the first coat by about half with good turpentine and maybe that helps it penetrate. Seems to darken it up some, and while I like a nice film finish on most woods, for some reason I prefer oil in cherry.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Can someone point me to a good way to clear fill cracks in some maple? I'm turning some off cuts of this tree that I'm cutting up into little things and have some checks to contend with. They look cool, and they're just decorative pieces, so I just want to fill them before I finish them.

Here's the puzzle I get to put together now for an end grain cutting board. I'll may use some walnut for an edge, but I might use some more maple and use the walnut for another cutting/serving board.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Resin/epoxy?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Phone posted:

Resin/epoxy?

Can you be more specific? I'm having a hard time sorting through the options.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Can someone point me to a good way to clear fill cracks in some maple? I'm turning some off cuts of this tree that I'm cutting up into little things and have some checks to contend with. They look cool, and they're just decorative pieces, so I just want to fill them before I finish them.

Here's the puzzle I get to put together now for an end grain cutting board. I'll may use some walnut for an edge, but I might use some more maple and use the walnut for another cutting/serving board.

Is this a dry-fit or is that glued up already? The gaps in that photo are gonna be hard to fill in cleanly, so if that's post-gluing, I think your main lesson here should be to get some cauls and more clamps so that next time you get a better glue-up.

Usually for filling gaps, I recommend mixing fine sawdust with some wood glue to make a paste. Just puddle some wood glue on a scrap or some paper, and mix in fine sawdust until it gets pasty. Then fill it into the gaps with a toothpick, and wipe clean the surface with a damp cloth or paper towel. It blends in well, assuming you use the same kind of wood for the sawdust as the wood the piece is made from. It also takes a finish well.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jhet posted:

Can you be more specific? I'm having a hard time sorting through the options.

is this for turning on a lathe or filling to make gaps disappear? Does it need to be food safe like for a cutting board? Do you want it clear or to take a finish?

I do a good bit of work with resins but want to figure out what exactly your wanting in the end instead of just posting a wall of text about the different types, processes, finishes, etc.

Shamelessly posting a bowl I turned with resin filled fractal burns.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Is this a dry-fit or is that glued up already? The gaps in that photo are gonna be hard to fill in cleanly, so if that's post-gluing, I think your main lesson here should be to get some cauls and more clamps so that next time you get a better glue-up.

Usually for filling gaps, I recommend mixing fine sawdust with some wood glue to make a paste. Just puddle some wood glue on a scrap or some paper, and mix in fine sawdust until it gets pasty. Then fill it into the gaps with a toothpick, and wipe clean the surface with a damp cloth or paper towel. It blends in well, assuming you use the same kind of wood for the sawdust as the wood the piece is made from. It also takes a finish well.

The way I read it was its dry fit and its green wood so they are trying to fill the cracks from the checking

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

Thin viscosity superglue is great for checks. It wicks way down in the wood. If there are big voids, thicker superglue or epoxy. Neither are technically food safe, but I don’t think they’ll kill you either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

For the wood glue and saw dust trick-- do you use a white glue, yellow glue?