Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How the gently caress do you survive on 5 hours scheduled sleep a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
And I say this as someone regularly up and at work by like 6

Alexeythegreat posted:

I thought it's going to suck to wake up at 5:30 to do AM lifting when I'm allowed to get back to the gym in 1.5 months, but this does not seem sustainable at all
(although my perception might be skewed because there's like 6 hours of daytime here during 8 months of winter)

Get a SAD lamp

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I can't do anything more than just very fatter until I die

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I run on 5-7 hours of sleep, personally, and it’s chopped often into 3-4 hour chunks anyways so I can understand.

Plus he sleeps on the train.

For example I slept from 11-3 and 4-6 last night.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks good yuns. Thick, solid, tight

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Isn't sleeping anything less than 7-8 unhealthy and generally not recommended?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah. Some people can do it just fine though and I've always been jealous of them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
His arms look like they're made out of dick skin

Also God I keep my practice open just for pi cases and when comes in I'm so happy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah. Some people can do it just fine though and I've always been jealous of them.

Thatcher is said to have only slept 4 hours a night and look how she turned out

But yeah I think it’s a genetic thing? Some people seem to be able to function with less sleep but normal people need 7-8 hours or it takes a toll if you ignore it long enough. Though clearly that toll does not include muscle mass

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

May 7, 2002
WARNING LETTER
VIA CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

Anthony Costello
President
Optimum Nutrition, Inc
600 N. Commerce St
Aurora, IL 60504

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Fascinating

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The supplement market being so unregulated always produces some funny stories. Like how the goon preferred protein powder for a while was basically just sugar. Or that the goon preferred pre workout has a meth analog in it, so a bunch of people rushed out to find the remaining tubs with the meth analog in it when they changed the formula / got banned

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I don't get it tbh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Turns out spending years of your life having to sleep in odd chunks has lasting consequences.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I don't get it tbh

The supplement company yuns uses has had issues with tainted supplements.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EwokEntourage posted:

The supplement market being so unregulated always produces some funny stories. Like how the goon preferred protein powder for a while was basically just sugar. Or that the goon preferred pre workout has a meth analog in it, so a bunch of people rushed out to find the remaining tubs with the meth analog in it when they changed the formula / got banned

I was one of the ones who fell victim to the fake sugar stuff and had been trying to live off of it on a road trip and was SO HUNGRY

Also my workouts were amazing on that now banned meth analogue. My friend recently mentioned he'd hung out with me after one said workout and how I was wired high as hell and that's probably what gave me insanely high blood pressure

Now I'm just fat and lazy and jealous of guys like yuns

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 1, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

This was not goon-exclusive

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Not at all. Just drink enough coffee/tea to stay alert, provide yourself with enough artificial stimulation to send yourself into an anxiety ridden spiral when anything out of the ordinary comes across your desk, and work yourself in to exhaustion 7 days a week. Healthy way to live.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yes, the sleep thing is basically genetic. My brother needs at least 8 hours a night whereas I'll get up after 5 even with no alarm. Optimum has done a really good job with cleaning up their supplements and are one of the few on the approved lists for the pro leagues like the NFL. The powders assay pretty well for protein content and low levels of contaminants like heavy metals.

Also lol at the custom title.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That av/title is amazing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Man I wish I was a morning person. I’d get so much more free time to be lazy and finish video games.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Turns out spending years of your life having to sleep in odd chunks has lasting consequences.

We need you to check the lineup you JO bitch

Yuns posted:

Yes, the sleep thing is basically genetic. My brother needs at least 8 hours a night whereas I'll get up after 5 even with no alarm. Optimum has done a really good job with cleaning up their supplements and are one of the few on the approved lists for the pro leagues like the NFL. The powders assay pretty well for protein content and low levels of contaminants like heavy metals.

This suggests to you that it's genetic? Are you and your brother related by blood?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Yuks aside, that Optimum Nutrition warning letter is disappointingly mundane and they were just a) massively overpromoting their product and b) using stevia, which is a no-no in that product category. No meth analogues or steroids here, which is what I was hoping for; bodybuilding protein supplements are by a huge margin the most unsafe area of dietary supplement products.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Stevia is fine except for the part where it makes the protein powder taste like mildly sweet rear end
But so does any other sweetener that isn't sucralose or acesulfame K
Which is why they just use sucralose or acesulfame K these days
I just use Myprotein

I also have access to large quantities of cottage cheese, which is good to make into pan-fried or baked patties when you mix it with an egg and a whole flour of choice

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Alexeythegreat posted:

Stevia is fine except for the part where it makes the protein powder taste like mildly sweet rear end
I just use Myprotein

I also have access to large quantities of cottage cheese, which is good to make into pan-fried or baked patties when you mix it with an egg and a whole flour of choice

What's your cottage cheese hook up?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What's your cottage cheese hook up?

Yo mama's thighs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alexeythegreat posted:

I just use Myprotein

The absolutely riveting issue here is that stevia isn't approved as a food additive (though a bunch of derivatives have been approved since this letter), and the company had been marketing the product as a conventional food, rather than a dietary supplement. The bodybuilding companies know that their customers a) treat their products like magic talismans, and b) intentionally consume products that have PEDs and steroids in them. So they use cutaway business formatting. If you get shut down by FDA, you start up another company and post on bodybuilding forums what your new name is.

All of this means the industry have an antagonistic relationship with regulators, and absurdly low safety and formulation standards...case in point, Myprotein had a big salmonella contamination problem last year.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 1, 2018

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mr. Nice! posted:

I run on 5-7 hours of sleep, personally, and it’s chopped often into 3-4 hour chunks anyways so I can understand.

Plus he sleeps on the train.

For example I slept from 11-3 and 4-6 last night.

Same, but I have a 4 month old. So far the best solution I've found to my previously bad sleeping habits is just to have a kid. Now I have no problem going to bed at 9am and getting to work by 8.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The amount of sleep required decreases as you age generally. Middle age and older can decrease down to 5/6 hr per night and still be normal.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The amount of sleep I need varies on whether I'm cutting or not
If I'm not, I'll need 7-8, but if I am, the number goes up to 12, which really sucks

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
LOL, I absolutely hate waking up at 6am to bike to the gym.
If I don't get at least an average of 7 hours each night per week, I get really grumpy.

Lote posted:

The amount of sleep required decreases as you age generally. Middle age and older can decrease down to 5/6 hr per night and still be normal.
No one told my dad (who is 69, nice). Whenever I'm home (which admittedly is like Christmas), he seemed to go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 8am since he retired. He doctor actually told him to stop going to sleep so early because it impacted the quality of the sleep or something.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 1, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Yuns posted:

:q:

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yo mama's thighs

lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It helps if you can take naps in the office.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

sullat posted:

It helps if you can take naps in the office.
I'm having a huge bookshelf in my office replaced with a couch for emergencies where I have to stay all night working in the office and need to nap. Not ideal but better than sleeping in a chair.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I work 10 to 4 and I still find time for a solid 2h nap on my couch daily.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lote posted:

Afaik it's not so much you need less as you can only manage to get less, and adapt accordingly. Also more naps.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Was that you? :discourse:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Was that you? :discourse:

Lol if you didn't immediately know it was SV.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm not saying I'm keeping copies of these for avatar material, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I loving hate outside counsel. I can’t believe these people are the cream of the crop. What a bunch of dumbfucks — sorry if it’s any of you but holy poo poo.

Anyway corporate life is fine.