Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

Even though I can see the logic (reused molds save money), it still feels weird that Build Divers and Narrative are getting MGs before IBO or G-Reco, and that side suits are getting MGs instead of the leads.

Yeah, it never made sense to me that Barbatos of all things didn’t get an MG or and RG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

RillAkBea posted:

Cat Weapons was apparently super popular, it's even getting a manga.
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1067707181653323777?s=19

I won't lie. I'm hyped.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

double post :V

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If the Build Divers guys had decent writers at all (or hell, just attempted to engage with Gunpla in any way shape or form), they'd have put the Cat Weapons in as a custom somewhere.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

MG AGE II Magnum

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1067604060457492480?s=19

Because I guess they already had all those AGE MG molds lying around doing nothing.

Hope they fix the horrible knees on this kit (they won't)

Speaking of transforming kits there's nothing like the sheer terror of attempting not to scratch the paint when putting together a completed transformable kit. I think you're a great design, mg delta plus, but gently caress your transformation.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Hope they fix the horrible knees on this kit (they won't)

Speaking of transforming kits there's nothing like the sheer terror of attempting not to scratch the paint when putting together a completed transformable kit. I think you're a great design, mg delta plus, but gently caress your transformation.

You've clearly never tried to transform the Zeta Plus.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xaerael posted:

You've clearly never tried to transform the Zeta Plus.

I actually have that kit! it's more in general I hate transformable kits due to the high probability of paint scratching.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Null of Undefined posted:

I've been building models for ages and I still can't remove nub marks with an Xacto knife without accidentally cutting too deep and making the surface uneven. How do y'all do it?

I've finally found a good system with nipper with 1-2mm of plastic --> sand it down (i use metal sanders and go slow with repetitive motions) ---> xacto blade z-series (after using these I dont think i can go back to common blades)

I used to just go nipper-->blade but the plastic seems to generally be a little too strong for it without leaving a flash mark, the newer the kit the less an issue this becomes though

also putting the thinnest layer of tamiya cement on the nub/flash marks actually goes a long way to hiding the blemish, provided you didnt eat too far into the plastic

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I'll share a secret re: getting rid of nubs...

gentle needle file to remove most of it, then use the 4 sided nail buffing blocks you can find anywhere cosmetics are sold, and you can make the nub totally vanish, and get back to the original sheen on the plastic.

Obvs, don't do this on clear.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Xaerael posted:

I'll share a secret re: getting rid of nubs...

gentle needle file to remove most of it, then use the 4 sided nail buffing blocks you can find anywhere cosmetics are sold, and you can make the nub totally vanish, and get back to the original sheen on the plastic.

Obvs, don't do this on clear.

Got a brand or Amazon link for the fashion impaired?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Sazabi posted:

Got a brand or Amazon link for the fashion impaired?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Prof...bHz5i:rk:3:pf:0

e: It has to be the 4 step ones, Beware of buying mono-grit ones.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
oh yeah those things are handy one stop shops. I played with my wife's to figure out the grit.

If you're interested, it's just 80,100, & 240 grit for the cutting side and 500-1000 for the buffing / polishing side. You can get a set of sheets all the way down to like 5000 at the auto shop for less than $5. The problem with all those buffing pads at that grit is that keratin won't clog the sheet, but ABS will (Although that doesn't mean they come clean, the FDA recommends not sharing emery or buffing pads, there is no way to sterilize them safely). I've also had more problems with the adhesive compared to the tamiya or auto shop brands, but none of them are fantastic.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm still pretty new to gunpla, so I don't know if this is another kind of stress mark, but sometimes I'm left with darker patches where nubs used to be after I'm done cutting/shaving/sanding/buffing. Any suggestions for avoiding this?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I'm still pretty new to gunpla, so I don't know if this is another kind of stress mark, but sometimes I'm left with darker patches where nubs used to be after I'm done cutting/shaving/sanding/buffing. Any suggestions for avoiding this?

That will be basically go away after a matte topcoat. You'll only be able to see it if you knew where it was and get it under light. Even if you do perfect progressive wet sanding from 400 up to 2000 grit, you'll still see that. it's where the runner was once melted into the part and something something chemical stuff.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I've seen it too, I think it has to do with pigments and the cooling process of the plastic. Dunno if that's why, tho

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's called flashing. It's prevalent in all models kits pretty much.

You'll see it more in darker colours as they show imperfections more than lighter colours.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
It's actually material flow lines where the material at the narrower gate enters the more open part. It's difficult to avoid in certain colors especially with smooth surfaces.

Flash is where thin material gets between the tool halves where it shouldn't be and leaves some extra on the parts after ejection.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Apprentice Dick posted:

It's actually material flow lines where the material at the narrower gate enters the more open part. It's difficult to avoid in certain colors especially with smooth surfaces.

Flash is where thin material gets between the tool halves where it shouldn't be and leaves some extra on the parts after ejection.

Ahh I see! I always attributed flashing to the material flow as it looked like flashes of light nigh through the piece.

It's been a productive couple of weeks and got through a few sets of my backlog.

I'll have some pictures up but have done,

HG Stein Narrative ver.
HG Barbatos Iron Blooded coating.
MG clear Gundam Base rx-78 3.0
MG F91 2.0
Almost finished RG Tallgeese.

Rx-78 3.0 frame is really good, it's detailed enough but slightly different to. 2.0 frame think I prefer it.

Stein Narrative is almost RG in quality. Doesn't have the joint mobility but the separation and detail is crazy good. Really fun build.

RG Tallgeese is amazing. For an RG it has a pretty low runner count, another really fun kit.

Im waiting on photoetch parts for the RG Sazabi to arrive and then I'll probably start that. It's box is as big as a MG box.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

Rx-78 3.0 frame is really good, it's detailed enough but slightly different to. 2.0 frame think I prefer it.

I have to say I reeeally hate the 3.0 frame. The ankles can't do any sort of dynamic angle. The shoulder joints on the torso are weak and pop out of the polycap too easily. Between these and a few other things I much prefer the more solid 2.0 frame and apparently the techs at Bandai do too as it's the 2.0 they're still using now.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

RillAkBea posted:

I have to say I reeeally hate the 3.0 frame. The ankles can't do any sort of dynamic angle. The shoulder joints on the torso are weak and pop out of the polycap too easily. Between these and a few other things I much prefer the more solid 2.0 frame and apparently the techs at Bandai do too as it's the 2.0 they're still using now.

This makes me feel a little better about the 2.0 I never got around to building before the 3.0 came out

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't like how the 2.0 gundam looks but its frame is god drat incredible so I'm more than happy if they keep reusing it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I made a robot

https://imgur.com/a/d0Ni21V

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s a badass robot

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Why the cloak?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Why the cloak?

Apparently it has some kind of beam diffusing property, but the actual reason is to give it a Lawrence of Arabia vibe, cause the pilot has that kinda thing going on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My friend is in the JET programme right now and he sent me snapchats of him looking at the MG Banshee Norn and the Sazabi Ver Ka. He's so close.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That silhouette looks familiar...

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/05/1100-gundam-deathscythe-hell-customized.html

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

I can go for another Deathscythe TV version.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just finished making the MG Jegan and it's really nice. It's got exceptional color separation and the proportions are great, so visually it's fantastic. The construction though, is a little.. curious? It may just be the fact that I built this after the MG GM Command, which uses almost the entire RX-78 2.0 frame, but the joints felt a little more HG than MG. There's no polycaps, which is almost always a good thing, though there's no ABS either so it's a very light model. The inner frame is made from the softer PS that most people are probably more familiar with from the HG-IBO series, and though it's extensively detailed, unlike 2.0 style frames which have moving armatures and pistons, all the detail on the Jegan frame is molded only, and all the joints are simple peg and hole hinges. It works very well and they even managed to fit an extra secret joint in the elbow design for a full double joint. For a new fully original MG though, it just feels oddly simplistic, even the conduits on the binders are hard molded plastic, where some wire and braided pipe could have looked really spiffy.

On a side note though, never have I seen more separation points on runners. They designed those layouts specifically to churn out P-Bandai variants (though we'll probably see one or two pop up on general release as inbetweener MGs some day) and I will probably buy them... Having access to PB is exactly as bad as not having access to PB. :negative:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Thats really good to know. Sometimes it's nice building a simple MG. I just don't like the mint green colour of the Jegan.

Other than that it looks super cool though.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
what's the compressor and airbrush set everyone reccomends for beginners

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

dudermcbrohan posted:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

dudermcbrohan posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-COMPRESSOR-Training-Published-Exclusively/dp/B001738DXU/

Plus whatever gravity feed airbrush you want.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

dudermcbrohan posted:

Also watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqCwc5-tbA and avoid every single mistake I made when I started airbrushing.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

*backlog of SN kits intensifies*

So looks like they survived the bandai lawsuit

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New on PB today MG Astray Red Dragon

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000009685/

One the one hand aww yiss. On the other hand 75 bucks.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

RillAkBea posted:

New on PB today MG Astray Red Dragon

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000009685/

One the one hand aww yiss. On the other hand 75 bucks.

That is sick as. Maybe that's the one for me to try getting a third party shipper to get it to Aus.

Anyone ever bought from P-Bandai down here?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Puddin posted:

That is sick as. Maybe that's the one for me to try getting a third party shipper to get it to Aus.

Anyone ever bought from P-Bandai down here?

I've used Gentei Kits a couple of times and had good experiences. You end up paying comparable prices to what you often see on equivalent general release kits locally in Aus.

Shipping is the real killer as you might expect.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

This is the correct compressor answer. Buy a few cheapass airbrushes and accept you're probably going to wreck them. When you're confident, get an Iwata Eclipse HP CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

If there's an airbrush with finer pressure control, let me know.