Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
PracGuide: Damnit Akua, I thought, you broke the power of friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Practical guide: I feel pretty ehh at this chapter. I really hope this isn't just a way to "reset" Catherine because the author doesn't like the way stuff has developed because it feels kind of cheap

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a chapter for today besides Peregrine I? The last Cat-based chapter I read came out on 11/30.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

blastron posted:

Is there a chapter for today besides Peregrine I? The last Cat-based chapter I read came out on 11/30.

Yeah, it's As Above

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

blastron posted:

Yes, there is also a new Cat chapter titled “As Above”. The Pilgrim chapter is the monthly Extra Chapter posted along with the first regular chapter of every month.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Huh, weird, it’s not showing up when I try clicking next or previous. Thanks!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xun posted:

Practical guide: I feel pretty ehh at this chapter. I really hope this isn't just a way to "reset" Catherine because the author doesn't like the way stuff has developed because it feels kind of cheap

I want to say that the author mentioned having all the broad strokes of the series planned out from more or less the beginning.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TWI early update: Every Mrsha the Great and Powerful chapter is a good chapter. Also, Death flags in a web serial format.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I want to say that the author mentioned having all the broad strokes of the series planned out from more or less the beginning.

and I believe it. It's got a very different flow and structure than something like TWI.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Worth the Candle updated with 4 new chapters (although one of them is a stats page)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalas posted:

TWI early update: Every Mrsha the Great and Powerful chapter is a good chapter. Also, Death flags in a web serial format.

pirateaba is still doing the really annoying thing of outright censoring a 'plan' whenever the characters form it. I can understand creating suspense but the web serial format really doesn't lend itself to creating a mystery to be solved by observant readers. As it is, it's just kind of obnoxious.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

pirateaba is still doing the really annoying thing of outright censoring a 'plan' whenever the characters form it. I can understand creating suspense but the web serial format really doesn't lend itself to creating a mystery to be solved by observant readers. As it is, it's just kind of obnoxious.

For a moment I thought we were talking about PracGuide, because holy cow has that gotten old.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The first person perspective makes it a lot worse too. How convenient that the protagonist never even thinks about her plan while she's onscreen.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Plorkyeran posted:

The first person perspective makes it a lot worse too. How convenient that the protagonist never even thinks about her plan while she's onscreen.

my favourite was the segment where she explicitly wasn't allowed to think about her plan

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I have sympathy for this devil.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Ward 10.12: Anelace seems nice! So naturally 50/50 odds that he just got killed or is about to. Whoever said 'nice, cheerful moments that soften you up for an emotional bodyblow' really captured the spirit of the last couple updates.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide I don’t even know what’s going on in this story any more. Why are these two goddesses having a “trial” over Cat’s.... goodness? Ability to help them? I’m not totally clear on what they’re looking for, or why they’re even bothering when they already have this whole thing wrapped up if they want to. This storyline is lost up its own rear end. Get out of the Everdark and back to the actual story please.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silynt posted:

Practical Guide I don’t even know what’s going on in this story any more. Why are these two goddesses having a “trial” over Cat’s.... goodness? Ability to help them? I’m not totally clear on what they’re looking for, or why they’re even bothering when they already have this whole thing wrapped up if they want to. This storyline is lost up its own rear end. Get out of the Everdark and back to the actual story please.

I like the Everdark stuff, just because it's interesting to introduce a new setting and characters. (edited out a comment because I realized I haven't read the latest chapter)

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
The whole point of PGTE is Cat's story: to determine just how much power she wants or needs in order to accomplish her goals and whether the things she's done or sacrificed has been worth it. This is the main story.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
actually the whole point is the tyrant and the hierarch and what happens to them

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Kalas posted:

You mean Patreon chapter? If so, I am really looking forward to Saturday. I have been wondering, who would die in the arc, so if the field is narrowed a bit it would be mist welcome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

The whole point of PGTE is Cat's story: to determine just how much power she wants or needs in order to accomplish her goals and whether the things she's done or sacrificed has been worth it. This is the main story.

Yeah, I read the recent chapter and it's interesting to see a non-Cat character commenting on what we've read (presumably including Cat's thoughts at the time).

The situation also seems to make plenty of sense to me. One sister is at least curious to get the perspective of this obviously-unusual human figure. The other doesn't care but wants to (or has to?) adhere to the opinion of the other. I doubt both sisters are truly happy with the way things are, so even if they might doubt there's any "good" option, part of them still wants to find out if there might be one.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I admit, I posted that rant after I read the chapter at 1AM because I hadn’t been able to fall asleep for the past hour and a half, so my vitriol was mostly misdirected. I WAS interested to see the Bard show up as an envoy of Below. Have we seen her explicitly act on behalf of the Bad Guys before? I know that it has been hypothesized that her Role is to keep the whole Good vs Evil train on track, but mostly - or entirely, to my memory- we’ve seen her act on the side of Above. I guess her dealings with Neshamah don’t really imply “I’m one of the Good Guys”.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Silynt posted:

I admit, I posted that rant after I read the chapter at 1AM because I hadn’t been able to fall asleep for the past hour and a half, so my vitriol was mostly misdirected. I WAS interested to see the Bard show up as an envoy of Below. Have we seen her explicitly act on behalf of the Bad Guys before? I know that it has been hypothesized that her Role is to keep the whole Good vs Evil train on track, but mostly - or entirely, to my memory- we’ve seen her act on the side of Above. I guess her dealings with Neshamah don’t really imply “I’m one of the Good Guys”.

The implication, I believe, is that the bad guys are generally more capable than the good guys. The good guys are on the side of stability and staleness while the bad guys tend to be more revolutionary.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Based on last night's patreon early update short story, I suspect that:
A: Pirateaba is a goon
B: Is poking fun at the above statement

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
“I know what his plan is, let me just write it down on this paper for you to read....”

Me: :bang:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PracGuide: Cat. What r u doing, Cat? Stahp, Cat. Sthaaaap!

Fake edit: this one broke my brain. No idea wtf.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm so loving tired of these cliffhangers.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI, I think pirateaba could have openly stated the plan for goblins to open the Door in the Ras camp. But all the pieces are shown in the text

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Should probably spoiler the Patreon chapter stuff

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Silynt posted:

Should probably spoiler the Patreon chapter stuff

I am not a Patron. This is from the currently public chapter.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

New MoL. Was the girl at the train station a callback to something significant? I re-read it recently, but can't remember anything that Zorian would find noteworthy, unless it's something really obscure like Silverlake having a young body courtesy of the primordial, and one of the girls being someone he's never seen before. But I doubt that's the case.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My question is: is there a reason Zorian doesn't just tell the government? He seems reasonably confident that he could convince them if he wanted to, and that the invasion would be a sure failure if he does.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, they've come up with a few methods in the past that all seem pretty reliable (spoilers for older MoL):

Decapitate the leadership (not viable because other loopers are now in play)
Assault and steal the gate (really dangerous and leads to tons of loss of life)
I think killing the dragon mayor guy helped that one time? (Puts Zorian on whats-his-face the spec ops preacher's radar, which is not great)

I suppose one (bad) reason would be if they're trying to keep their backgrounds completely secret, and one (gooder-er) reason would be to stay off lichdad's radar- he pretty consistently seeks them out whenever they gently caress with the invasion, and he's one of the few truly dangerous threats now that they're out of the loop.

Speaking of which, I know they had more pressing things on their mind at the time, but it seems like it really would've been a good idea to try and track down his phylactery while they were in the loop; he's way too dangerous to scrap with when you aren't immortal, and he's consistently showed interest in them whenever they do anything too big & loud.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Next Ward chapter should have us discovering a lot more of what the hell's going on with Chris. :getin:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Omi no Kami posted:

New MoL. Was the girl at the train station a callback to something significant? I re-read it recently, but can't remember anything that Zorian would find noteworthy, unless it's something really obscure like Silverlake having a young body courtesy of the primordial, and one of the girls being someone he's never seen before. But I doubt that's the case.

I couldn't remember anything wrt that girl either. At first, I sort of thought she might have been some sort of lure planted to feel Zorian out but after thinking it over a bit it doesn't seem likely. Maybe just a character building moment for Zorian and Kirielle?

Argue posted:

My question is: is there a reason Zorian doesn't just tell the government? He seems reasonably confident that he could convince them if he wanted to, and that the invasion would be a sure failure if he does.

Yeah, that was the thought I walked away with after reading that last chapter too. It's kind of frustrating, especially because the author goes out of his way to put it into the text that Z&Z could easily resolve the whole invasion issues by just going to the government. No doubt they have the skills and information to convince the authorities by this point. Maybe we'll be provided with a reason eventually, but if I'm being honest just the fact that the two of them combined have probably upwards of a hundred years of relative time spent fine-tuning and perfecting plans to counter the invasion personally is more than enough reason for them to be doing just that. From a "this is what the characters would be doing, even though it's sub-optimal" sort of perspective.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Next Ward chapter should have us discovering a lot more of what the hell's going on with Chris. :getin:

nah its going to be an interlude and then a new arc.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

violent sex idiot posted:

nah its going to be an interlude and then a new arc.

A new arc that starts in the middle of some kind of previously unmentioned situation/action that takes half the chapter to figure out, and walks us towards someone bringing Chris up in 4-5 chapters.

Edit to remember:

sunken fleet posted:

I couldn't remember anything wrt that girl either. At first, I sort of thought she might have been some sort of lure planted to feel Zorian out but after thinking it over a bit it doesn't seem likely. Maybe just a character building moment for Zorian and Kirielle?

Found it, it's an almost word-for-word replay of an event from his very first trip to the academy in chapter 1- some excited first-year girls go "You look like a cool upperclassman, can you do magic?", and Zorian goes "Grr, gently caress off," then stomps off being annoyed that a human tried to talk to him. I guess it's just a nostalgic thing, since he's actually being polite this time. ^^

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 10, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of which, I know they had more pressing things on their mind at the time, but it seems like it really would've been a good idea to try and track down his phylactery while they were in the loop; he's way too dangerous to scrap with when you aren't immortal, and he's consistently showed interest in them whenever they do anything too big & loud.

This is a good point; they've previously had the advantage of being able to not give a gently caress about him continuing to look for them after the end of the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

This is a good point; they've previously had the advantage of being able to not give a gently caress about him continuing to look for them after the end of the loop.

Yeah... it's one of those things that I can understand slipping through the cracks (I think they discovered how easy it was to get his attention around the same time they discovered the ticking clock, and they barely built their dimensionalism skills up in time even throwing everything they had in that direction), but it seems like a really obvious problem. Doubly so because I almost expect Zach to steal his crown even if there's no need for it, just based on how useful it is (and how impulsive Zach is).

Probably the only other big thing I noticed was Zorian's lack of interest in medical magic; like three different people suggested he make a point of learning it, and it seems like a really useful thing to get down when you aren't pressed for time.

Theorycrafting aside, I'm really interested to see how the next few chapters shape up. I'm assuming he'll absolutely have to read Kael and Taiven into the loop, since there's no way to explain the notebooks to the former and the latter knows Zorian too well for him to hide his skillset, but I'm up in the air about whether or not he'll tell Xvim. It seems like they're trying to be really circumspect about things, but I don't see Zorian successfully concealing his faculty with shaping for five minutes.