Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, Jonah really loses his patience a little in the middle of that interview. Not that I can blame him, but there's definitely a moment where it's kind of "Okay, wise-rear end, you write the riffs then!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't is very class-concious materialist film in a way which American movies simply aren't.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I still think the mexican Santa Claus is the best christmas MST3K.

Oh Lupita

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Bicyclops posted:

Man, Jonah really loses his patience a little in the middle of that interview. Not that I can blame him, but there's definitely a moment where it's kind of "Okay, wise-rear end, you write the riffs then!"

Yeah but the blame is with the interviewer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was 'Mac & Me' the interviewer's first MST3K episode? It sure seems like it. "Wow! You reference OTHER MOVIES in this! Does that happen often?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I still think the mexican Santa Claus is the best christmas MST3K.

Oh Lupita

It's good, but it's no Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. :colbert:

"Wish we had parents instead of this radio."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Interviewer: "Why didn't you say 'Jenny!' like Forrest Gump?! That would've been so fresh and funny! No one's ever done that! I should be writing this show!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, that was so embarrassing, I'm shocked that

A.)He did it,

B.)He transcribed it, and

C.)No editor told him to remove it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jonah did have some interesting stuff to say about what kind of movie is riffable, though. It's really funny that he mentions Maximum Overdive every time, he really really wants to riff it.

It's too bad The Langoliers is like four hours long, that would be a great Stephen King movie to riff. Not sure if all the nosebleeding would disqualify it either way, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ross from Catching Trouble is the evilest protagonist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ross from Catching Trouble is the evilest protagonist.

That's true. Yikes. I loaned that episode to somebody and they came back slightly horrified.

(I do enjoy any chance for Crow to do his Swamp Thing "Do not bring your evil here" though.)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I mean, Jonah does bring up that people wanted them to reference the wheelchair cliff fall's notoriety as a running gag Paul Rudd did on Conan in that interview, and I must say that as someone who really loved that bit I'm sad it didn't get a quick callout there.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Who the gently caress interviews the guy who talks to robot puppets over bad movies and thinks "finally, my Frost-Nixon moment!". It should have been a soft ball interview, he comes off a little prickly but I think that's because the interviewer expected him to belly up and be like "yup, i'm terrible, everything is terrible!" just because he riffs over dross. I'm glad he wasn't.

quote:

It’s been done before and I’d really love to see Patton and Felicia in there riffing on movies.
SAME.

Are there any interviews from mike or joel in the past somewhere online I could see?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
lol the article says "look out for snakes".

the distinction jonah makes between bad on purpose films like sharknado and grandparent trickery like atlantic rim is interesting, and something i've never thought of before

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sharknado has effort in it. It tried to be a thing. It tried to be a bad, silly thing, but it TRIED.

Atlantic Rim exists only to get money based off of name fuckery. There is no effort in it, no attempt to make anything work.

They could have made the robots look cool, but they didn't want to expend the effort. They could have tightened up the script, but that would take too much effort.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
in that case it's a perfect fit for mst3k. they just didn't care

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wit posted:

Are there any interviews from mike or joel in the past somewhere online I could see?

Mike did a long interview with Lowtax in 2006, apparently: https://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/interview-mike-nelson/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Mike did a long interview with Lowtax in 2006, apparently: https://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/interview-mike-nelson/

The Troll 2 RiffTrax our fearless(?) leader(??) did with Mike is pretty funny, save possibly relying too heavily on 'HEY THERE ARE NO TROLLS IN THIS MOVIE.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 6, 2018

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Sharknado has effort in it. It tried to be a thing. It tried to be a bad, silly thing, but it TRIED.

Atlantic Rim exists only to get money based off of name fuckery. There is no effort in it, no attempt to make anything work.

They could have made the robots look cool, but they didn't want to expend the effort. They could have tightened up the script, but that would take too much effort.

I'm convinced they used the same "cockpit" set for all three robots, just using one of those remote-control color-changing Christmas light strands from Target behind them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Liberal Idiot posted:

I'm convinced they used the same "cockpit" set for all three robots, just using one of those remote-control color-changing Christmas light strands from Target behind them.

I'm sure they did. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

The Troll 2 RiffTrax our fearless(?) leader(??) did with Mike is pretty funny, save possibly relying too heavily on 'HEY THERE ARE NO TROLLS IN THIS MOVIE.'

i was in the peace corps from 2008-2010, and i lived in a small village without internet, so I had a laptop and an external hard drive with a bunch of movies/music/rifftrax. I got that one and must have watched it 50+ times during the winter when daylight was about 10AM~3PM. I can basically recite it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Liberal Idiot posted:

To be fair, this is way closer to what real films would have done than any of the other terrible decisions made in that movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What's weird about Atlantic Rim is that you'd actually think it would be even more cynically made. It weirdly feels like someone was trying to make a movie and just wasnt very good at it. The "grandparents will buy this by mistake" thing really only requires a title and some graphic design for the DVD. That it tries to have plot twists and cheesy action movie beats is just weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There are so many baffling parts of that movie.

Like why is there a scene where the girlfriend and third wheel guy tell the main dude they slept together? Or that entire fire rescue sequence where a teenage actress is playing a kid that was clearly written to be five years old.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zore posted:

Like why is there a scene where the girlfriend and third wheel guy tell the main dude they slept together? Or that entire fire rescue sequence where a teenage actress is playing a kid that was clearly written to be five years old.

Same reason there’s a montage of the guy in his cell even though you find out later he was only there for a few hours: to pad the runtime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same reason there’s a montage of the guy in his cell even though you find out later he was only there for a few hours: to pad the runtime.

That's something I hadn't considered - since they do so much of their stuff to fill SyFy's vacant hours are they mandated to do a set amount of footage to fill said time up?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zore posted:

the bar littered with corpses and they are completely unphased by the carnage.
and the heartfelt "I love you" hahahahah :shepface:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Burkion posted:

It wasn't until the second Sharknado that they really leaned into the whole "look how stupid our movie is!" thing. The first one was just some random Syfy movie that somehow got popular.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

It wasn't until the second Sharknado that they really leaned into the whole "look how stupid our movie is!" thing. The first one was just some random Syfy movie that somehow got popular.

I saw both Sharknado 1 and 2 with Rifftrax live, and I agree. The first one had a goofy earnestness to it that made it a lot of fun. The 2nd one was just trying to reproduce the formula the first one and wasn't nearly as entertaining (even with riffs).

I stopped caring about the sequels after the 2nd one so I can only image how soulless they got.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

That’s pretty much Asylum.txt. They have a closet full of CGI and a lot of ripoff chutzpah, but not really much else.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While the ET stuff was a bit obvious with Mac and Me, the worse plagiarism was the nearly shot-for-shot ripping off of The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, and they tried to play up that with the subsequent "animal + natural disaster" flicks like Arachnoquake and... I think something with lava and also spiders.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and they tried to play up that with the subsequent "animal + natural disaster" flicks like Arachnoquake and... I think something with lava and also spiders.

Speaking of, I actually think Arachnoquake would make decent riffing fodder. It doesn’t come off as trying too hard to be bad like Sharknado and it has an actual actor* in the lead role. Of course, this is all based on the single time I watched it almost a decade ago, so YMMV.
*It’s Edward Furlong, so he’s sort of an actor

“Now that’s how you make jambalaya!”

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Lavalantula.

Yes, that's a movie. As is it's sequel, "Lavalantua 2: 2 Lava, 2 Lantua", both of which star Steve Guttenberg and Michael Winslow.

They're both part of that weird time where SyFy was leaning hard into the "lovely disaster/creature movie to watch ironically" thing that happened post-Sharknado.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of, I actually think Arachnoquake would make decent riffing fodder. It doesn’t come off as trying too hard to be bad like Sharknado and it has an actual actor* in the lead role. Of course, this is all based on the single time I watched it almost a decade ago, so YMMV.
*It’s Edward Furlong, so he’s sort of an actor

“Now that’s how you make jambalaya!”

Agreed. It's not by the Asylum either which means I think more folks are at least trying in the picture. It's probably up there with Eight-Legged Freaks for your dumb giant spider movies.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lavalantula.

Yes, that's a movie. As is it's sequel, "Lavalantua 2: 2 Lava, 2 Lantua", both of which star Steve Guttenberg and Michael Winslow.

They're both part of that weird time where SyFy was leaning hard into the "lovely disaster/creature movie to watch ironically" thing that happened post-Sharknado.

Oh, yeah. Remember when they tried to make a whole Thing of live-tweeting Sharknado 2?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yeah. Remember when they tried to make a whole Thing of live-tweeting Sharknado 2?
It's always embarrassing when a company gets that big naturally-occurring viral push on something, then spends months or years trying to recapture that wave.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's always embarrassing when a company gets that big naturally-occurring viral push on something, then spends months or years trying to recapture that wave.

That's basically what happens to a lot of one-hit wonders, too.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Liberal Idiot posted:

It's also the same set for the "submarine."

I still love how at the climax, when the guy with the eyepatch holds a gun to Admiral "Get on the Horn," all the other soldiers on guard and armed with machine guns are just looking panicked and confused.

Like, I understand why you might not shoot the guy.

Also, I love how the cell is clearly just a spare office. Like, that thing is massive.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That cell was bigger than my first apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Puff piece on MST3K on slate.com. Nothing really new, but some nice quotes from Joel on the early days and the revival.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/mst3k-joel-hodgson-interview-netflix.html