Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
The back is open too, so if he feels like sneaking out he just swims to the other side and pops out behind the heater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's been two weeks since we moved in and things are staring to look a bit grubby. When you put the light on, it's pretty clear the glass has some build-up on it. I have no idea what the actual process of keeping an aquarium like this clean is (the previous owners did not really leave much information on fish care) so some advice on how to de-stank the tank before it turns into a murderzone would be super appreciated because I'm getting grey hair trying to keep these chubby fucks alive.

The cabinet beneath is full of various bottles and tools and doodads, so just assume that whatever it needs, I already have it and just need a picture to recognise it like some sort of amnesiac baby.

edit: looking around the side of the tank I found a weird object stuck to the outside. Turned out to be a powerful magnet that was locked on to a magnetic scrubbing brush that I could then drag around the inside of the tank by proxy. The glass is much cleaner now, but the water is kinda full of particles, so I'm assuming I need to do more than just wipe the glass with my fuckin' magnet brush.

I'm honestly still amazed I'm finding new poo poo about this whole setup even after two weeks.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 2, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

It's been two weeks since we moved in and things are staring to look a bit grubby. When you put the light on, it's pretty clear the glass has some build-up on it. I have no idea what the actual process of keeping an aquarium like this clean is (the previous owners did not really leave much information on fish care) so some advice on how to de-stank the tank before it turns into a murderzone would be super appreciated because I'm getting grey hair trying to keep these chubby fucks alive.

The cabinet beneath is full of various bottles and tools and doodads, so just assume that whatever it needs, I already have it and just need a picture to recognise it like some sort of amnesiac baby.

You're going to want to change some of the water. Normally, replacing 20% a week is fine, but you've left it for a couple of weeks so a bit more would probably be better. You need to replace it with water that matches the temperature of the tank, or thereabouts, and any water you put in needs to have some sort of dechlorinator put in it. Chlorine in your tap water isn't good for the fish or the healthy bacteria that keeps the water clean, so you need to remove that from the new water. I can't see it in the photo you posted before, but I can't imagine the old owners would have left you without any. It's usually labeled as water conditioner.

Also, check out that Stress Zyme stuff you have too. Follow the instructions, and that might help a little (though not with the chlorine in the water).

fake edit: I guess that magnet solves the algae problem.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Fuego Fish posted:

edit: looking around the side of the tank I found a weird object stuck to the outside. Turned out to be a powerful magnet that was locked on to a magnetic scrubbing brush that I could then drag around the inside of the tank by proxy. The glass is much cleaner now, but the water is kinda full of particles, so I'm assuming I need to do more than just wipe the glass with my fuckin' magnet brush.

I'm honestly still amazed I'm finding new poo poo about this whole setup even after two weeks.

The gunk is almost certainly just algae, which looks bad but is actually beneficial. Any kind of plant life in your tank will remove toxic nitrogen-compounds that fish waste puts into the water. It doesn't look like you've got live plants in that tank and probably shouldn't since goldfish tend to eat up any kind of aquatic plants so I'd suggest getting a pothos. It's a cheap houseplant, and easy to take care of. If you put its roots into the tank water, it will suck up a lot of nitrogen for you, reducing the need to change water, and reducing the amount of algae that will build up in your aquarium.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aerofallosov posted:

Try a UK fishkeepers forum? I know plantedtank.net has some UK denizens.

There's also facebook groups, if you have facebook. No idea if any of these are good, but a quick search for "aquarium UK" brought up a bunch of groups.
Aquarium & Fish - Selling & Swapping (UK) https://www.facebook.com/groups/202859916861185/?ref=br_rs
Fish Keeping UK https://www.facebook.com/groups/311184729299933/?ref=br_rs
etc.

I assume there will also be ones for any specific country, region, or major city within the UK. Once you join one or two facebook itself will relentlessly suggest related groups in your area.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I know there is a strict no animal sales policy on facebook, but there is also multiple fish auctions by multiple groups here every single week. None of their posts get taken down, and yet in the buy swap and sell groups I'm in, animal sales get disappeared extremely quickly. Not exactly sure how it works, maybe it's closed groups vs public groups. Really confusing and unevenly enforced.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah Facebook is pretty overzealous when it comes to selling fish or any live pets. Best bet might be to take plenty of pictures of the tank + fish, but only mention the tank stuff in the text and if someone asks about the fish just private message them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly I think because of the situation of the goon having those fish and that tank that there would be some leniency.

Is there a goon meet thread for wherever you are? I'd check in there to see if anyone wants them too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Could also try not making a sale post, but instead making a story post with pretty pictures. How you got the fish, what you've been doing with them, and asking for advice on how to sell them. Folks love to give advice. If anyone wants the fish they'll speak up and you take it to private messaging.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah Facebook is pretty overzealous when it comes to selling fish or any live pets. Best bet might be to take plenty of pictures of the tank + fish, but only mention the tank stuff in the text and if someone asks about the fish just private message them.

Never had issues buying/selling fish. But Geralt it works best to do it through a local aquarium club group instead of just posting on Buy/sell

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm pretty green at keeping fish. I have a single betta in a 15-gallon tank. I recently bought a Tetra Whisper IQ filter and yet already it's not quite working right--it's not filtering, it's just making noise. Their website seems to be busted, so does anyone have any insight as to what it usually means when a filter does this? The internet suggests it's an impeller issue. I'm a little bit frazzled because it's new and I haven't really taken apart a filter before for cleaning or maintenance.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doc Fission posted:

I'm pretty green at keeping fish. I have a single betta in a 15-gallon tank. I recently bought a Tetra Whisper IQ filter and yet already it's not quite working right--it's not filtering, it's just making noise. Their website seems to be busted, so does anyone have any insight as to what it usually means when a filter does this? The internet suggests it's an impeller issue. I'm a little bit frazzled because it's new and I haven't really taken apart a filter before for cleaning or maintenance.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Can you take a pic of the setup? Is any water flowing?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Can you take a pic of the setup? Is any water flowing?

Sure! See below.

It's a 20-gallon Whisper IQ filter from TetraCare. The tank is 15 gallons. My fish's name is Jeremy and he's been with me for two months :)

There is no water flowing at this time, though there is noise coming from the motor space. If you look closely at the second image I did notice that the part that contains the motor is slightly detached, which may be the issue or at least part of it. I tried adjusting it manually but it doesn't click in or anything, but I'm concerned that if I try and glue it I'll be setting myself up for future frustration.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doc Fission posted:

Sure! See below.

It's a 20-gallon Whisper IQ filter from TetraCare. The tank is 15 gallons. My fish's name is Jeremy and he's been with me for two months :)

There is no water flowing at this time, though there is noise coming from the motor space. If you look closely at the second image I did notice that the part that contains the motor is slightly detached, which may be the issue or at least part of it. I tried adjusting it manually but it doesn't click in or anything, but I'm concerned that if I try and glue it I'll be setting myself up for future frustration.

You need to prime the pump. Fill the reservoir with tank water. With that type of filter any time the power is interrupted you'll need to manually refill the reservoir.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Facebook Aunt posted:

You need to prime the pump. Fill the reservoir with tank water. With that type of filter any time the power is interrupted you'll need to manually refill the reservoir.

This
Those hang on the back filters need to be primed. With the water that low you may even have to disconnect the impeller portion on the bottom and lower it down till it starts sucking water. Easiest way if it doesn't prime after filling it with water, just raise your water level another inch and it should kick in.
That was always a negative in my experience with HoB filters, the impeller doesn't always sit at water level and that makes it hard to prime when it stops from power outages or whatever (the impeller is like a spinning fan in that boxy portion hanging over the water, it sucks the water up through the pipe into the filter). The only solution is to always keep the water level high enough, or what I did with a few before, buy a small pump that can sit in the tank and some hose to connect it to the intake pipe so that runs the filter instead of the impeller. The latter gives you the option on long tanks to set the pump on one end and the filter on the other to get a good cycle going

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

It worked! Thanks, thread. I topped off the water too.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fuego Fish posted:

You already had the photo of the stuff in the cabinet, but now I think it's necessary to pull it all out and show us complete and clear inventory.
As others have said, it sounds like it's time for a water change. Is there a gravel vac anywhere in there? It might be stored somewhere else other than the cabinet, possibly associated with a bucket. Hopefully it's a Python system and not manual bucket bullshit.
Also just to get it out of the way ahead of time: if it's a manual siphon, don't worry, there's no need to suck-start.

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh, you have no idea. The world of fishkeeping gear is loving wild.

Doc Fission posted:

What you have is one of the newer-style HOB filters that puts the pump on the inside of the tank, so unless the particular design has some horrible deficiency, all you really need to do is keep the tank water level above the rotating impeller (there should be a target water level marking on the front of the motor casing) and it'll handle the reservoir filling on its own.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fuego Fish posted:

Congrats on your new fish

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Can you post a picture of the note they left you? I am very curious about these fish

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It wasn't a specific note for the fish or tank, but more of a sort of postscript in the main note, after how to work the heating and so forth.

Not exactly full of details by any stretch.

If I can't sell these things by the end of the week, I'm just going to rehome them at the local pet store and then drain the tank. As nice as it might be for some to keep fish, I don't need this extra stress in my life.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Took a couple videos of my tank, now that it's somewhat presentable...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRu_d1werg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBA34buFBbA

It's still a massive struggle to keep it clean. I've been doing 50% water changes about every other day for the last couple of weeks (after changing too little water for a while and letting the crud build up), because the salt and pepper corys love to stir everything up and all the diatom algae gets into the water column and clogs up my filter. But I'm slowly winning against the staghorn algae and I hope that over time everything will balance out. I think I've been feeding the salt and peppers too much Repashy, perhaps. Getting very practiced at using my Python, which I probably could not do without.

Also, that large fish that is not a cory is... I don't know, but it's not a glowlight rasbora, which is what it should have been. I feel bad for it being the only one of its kind, but I haven't been able to net it (not that I have anywhere else to put it.) At least it doesn't seem to still be growing...

I really love my emerald dwarf rasboras - got 40 from The Wet Spot. They were a bit dull-colored at first but really get some amazing reds, and they have wonderful little personalities. They're very skittish, but if you just keep an eye on them over time they do all sorts of fun stuff.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 5, 2018

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

If I can't sell these things by the end of the week, I'm just going to rehome them at the local pet store and then drain the tank.

Out of curiosity at the moment, vaguely, where in the UK are you?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mozi posted:

Also, that large fish that is not a cory is... I don't know, but it's not a glowlight rasbora, which is what it should have been. I feel bad for it being the only one of its kind, but I haven't been able to net it (not that I have anywhere else to put it.) At least it doesn't seem to still be growing...

I am pretty sure that's a rasbora paviana, due to the thin black stripe with a darker blob on the caudal peduncle, and that the stripe doesn't continue into the rays of the tail and doesn't go past the eye. If the stripe continues past the eye on to the mouth it could be a rasbora einthovenii. I spent ages poring through pictures of big striped rasboras while my own odd fellow was growing out, eventually working out mine is a rasbora cephalotaenia as the black stripe continues both onto his mouth and his tail, but doesn't stay a solid line. Instead it is a couple of rows of dark scales with light scales in the middle (also he's huge, easily 5 inches). I think the only way this mix up can happen is if the suppliers are catching wild fish rather than farming them. Mine were supposed to be emerald eye spot rasboras and I got my big dude as well as a number of cheeya mixed in, plus one unknown rasbora that I was never able to identify. I'd love to get more like my big rasbora since he is fairly peaceful and has a beautiful mirrorshine to his scales, but they're not legal to import here.

I really like how natural your tank looks, and it's pretty clear that your fish like it too, they seem really happy and comfortable.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

CrashScreen posted:

Out of curiosity at the moment, vaguely, where in the UK are you?

Slough/Heathrow sort of area.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ahh, drat. That's a really long (and expensive) stretch for me. I was thinking of asking a couple of folk that I know are interested in getting some fish, but was also considering maybe picking up the one that'll get sold separately from the rest too. I hope they find a nice new home soon, and stop stressing you out to boot.

Honestly, I'm a little envious. This is what we were originally going for before I realised that I 1) can't aquascape too great and 2) can't leave the goldfish alone with most plant varieties for long. We're going to try and make the tank more dense with plants in the new year. Hopefully I can get it close to what you have.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Mozi posted:

Took a couple videos of my tank, now that it's somewhat presentable...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJRu_d1werg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBA34buFBbA

It's still a massive struggle to keep it clean. I've been doing 50% water changes about every other day for the last couple of weeks (after changing too little water for a while and letting the crud build up), because the salt and pepper corys love to stir everything up and all the diatom algae gets into the water column and clogs up my filter. But I'm slowly winning against the staghorn algae and I hope that over time everything will balance out. I think I've been feeding the salt and peppers too much Repashy, perhaps. Getting very practiced at using my Python, which I probably could not do without.

I really love my emerald dwarf rasboras - got 40 from The Wet Spot. They were a bit dull-colored at first but really get some amazing reds, and they have wonderful little personalities. They're very skittish, but if you just keep an eye on them over time they do all sorts of fun stuff.

Tank looks awesome! Kind of what I'm trying to get my 29 towards. I bought a bunch of decent looking fancy guppies at the local shop just because a tank with plants and no fish looked horrible. 2 adults passed away, but I already have about 10 babies, so all is well. I also have snails...again. Going to get a load of assassins again to deal with them, but for now they're controlling the algae a bit.

I should get some pictures this weekend. Still waiting for my monte carlo to start taking off, but my swords are happy(ish). Lots of black beard algae I have to deal with though, which is frustrating me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the comments everyone! When I'm just sitting there watching the rasboras chase each other around, and the corys bumble along the bottom in a train, and a shrimp glides by - it's really beautiful, like a living painting. And I've even seen a couple of baby rasboras, which makes me feel good that these fish didn't get captured out of the wild to just die off in captivity, which to be honest kind of the dark side of this hobby I think. It was (still is) a lot of work but as time goes by if I can dial everything in better hopefully that will lessen. So thanks to this thread and everyone in it for piquing my interest in this hobby, I don't think I would have done any of this without it. :)

Thanks Stoca for identifying that fish! Glad to hear it should be able to stay in there, I was afraid it would keep growing and growing but I wouldn't be able to catch it... that would have been a tricky situation.

If I had to change one thing - it would be to not be afraid of doing bigger water changes, and to get a Python and use it ASAP. For about 2 months and change I had been doing water changes 5 gallons at a time (going out in a bucket) and 1 gallon at a time (going in with a pitcher) - so doing just 10 gallons took a while and it was a big hassle to match the temps with every gallon I added. With the Python, it's so easy to change as much as you want, whenever you need to.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 6, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What if your sink is absolutely nowhere near your tank?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
You can get tube extensions that give you another 20 feet each, so that would be 50 feet with one extension, and apparently you can use more than one. Still might get a little tricky, but if that would make up the difference for you it would probably be worth doing.

Other than that I'm far from an expert, I'm sure people have figured out other ways - probably involving a big trash can on wheels that you can siphon into, wheel out to empty, fill it up, wheel it back to the tank and pump it in.

I'd say this is probably only really necessary for 40 gallon tanks and up, with a 20 gallon it's wouldn't be bad just using a 5 gallon bucket.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

You can get tube extensions that give you another 20 feet each, so that would be 50 feet with one extension, and apparently you can use more than one. Still might get a little tricky, but if that would make up the difference for you it would probably be worth doing.

Other than that I'm far from an expert, I'm sure people have figured out other ways - probably involving a big trash can on wheels that you can siphon into, wheel out to empty, fill it up, wheel it back to the tank and pump it in.

I'd say this is probably only really necessary for 40 gallon tanks and up, with a 20 gallon it's wouldn't be bad just using a 5 gallon bucket.

I don't think it would work for me because as a shrimp guy I can't use the hot water (at all) from my sinks because the building has copper pipes. I use fully cold water and microwave some of it in a glass container to get the temp of the overall water perfect to what's in the tank, then dechlorinate and add Equilibrium to around 300ppm before siphoning the tank into another bucket and adding the new water in.

I did it this morning and my 4 little guys are swimming around looking excited as hell. Best thing about shrimp is how they behave after water changes. I had a scare with two cloudy shrimp a few days ago after the water somehow dipped to 71F from 76F when I left a bucket of water out too long before adding it. They were pretty slow moving for a few days and had that milkyness to their abdomen as mentioned but they seem totally normal now and look translucent again.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Sounds like you have it figured out for your situation, then!

Speaking of shrimp, in my 5 gallon, they have been disappearing over time, I really have no idea. There were even a lot of babies around, then the adults disappeared, now the babies are disappearing too. No bodies, water tests good, I really have no idea what the problem is.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you aren't seeing gross pinkish white dead ones floating around they're either climbing out, in your filter, in a plant or under driftwood or something. Dead shrimp don't hide and are pretty obvious in my experience. Snails can't hide the evidence of their passing that quickly due to the shell being in the way, so I think if they were dying you'd know.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

Sounds like you have it figured out for your situation, then!

Speaking of shrimp, in my 5 gallon, they have been disappearing over time, I really have no idea. There were even a lot of babies around, then the adults disappeared, now the babies are disappearing too. No bodies, water tests good, I really have no idea what the problem is.

What's your lid situation on that tank?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Have a look...

No lid, obviously. But I've never seen a single shrimp on the ground. Nor have I ever seen one attempt to jump out, and I sit around the tank a lot.
I have removed some dead ones, but literally just a few - nothing to match the rate of disappearance.
My snails are all still there, doing fine.
I thought they were getting sucked into the filter, but when I look in there it is completely empty.
Some may be hiding, but there were just more shrimp in the past. Dozens. They are simply not there anymore.
Here are two shrimp, anyways.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 7, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Should probably [timg ] those images!

I have to assume given your tank has literal plant ladders for the shrimp to climb out that they've been just walking out of the tank. Have you looked behind that desk?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

VelociBacon posted:

What if your sink is absolutely nowhere near your tank?
Pythons use standard garden hose threading so you don't have to use their own extension hoses (if you accidentally pull up too much and get a jam in an opaque garden hose, though, uuugh), and you can also put on a transfer pump so instead of going into a distant sink, it goes out the nearest window.

For a situation where you have to match temperature without using the hot water pipes, my own inclination is to use a reservoir with its own heater, some hose, and the cheapest possible pump with adequate lift height to send that up into the tank.
I did this out of a bucket for a while since bucket-dumping straight in is godawful. Added on a power strip to use as a step switch, and a floating breeder box to baffle the fill flow.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So I want some scrimps and nerites in my fluval spec V. But the center of the lid has a hole under the light. Could I use saran wrap or clear plastic canvas to plug the gap?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Well crap. Did a water change on the new planted guppy tank and since then most of the fish have died. Temperature was matched I dosed with prime and just...thrashing around then gone.

I love this hobby but sometimes I hate this hobby.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

Pythons use standard garden hose threading so you don't have to use their own extension hoses (if you accidentally pull up too much and get a jam in an opaque garden hose, though, uuugh), and you can also put on a transfer pump so instead of going into a distant sink, it goes out the nearest window.

For a situation where you have to match temperature without using the hot water pipes, my own inclination is to use a reservoir with its own heater, some hose, and the cheapest possible pump with adequate lift height to send that up into the tank.
I did this out of a bucket for a while since bucket-dumping straight in is godawful. Added on a power strip to use as a step switch, and a floating breeder box to baffle the fill flow.

Ah I see. That would work well if I had a house but I'm in the 3rd floor of an apartment building. As it is, the tank is 5.3g, I normally only do a 4L water change which is around 25% if you look at the volume of the tank minus the substrate and driftwood and all the other poo poo in the tank. It's easily bucket-able I guess.

Aerofallosov posted:

So I want some scrimps and nerites in my fluval spec V. But the center of the lid has a hole under the light. Could I use saran wrap or clear plastic canvas to plug the gap?

The snails might be able to climb up the sides of the tank, onto the underside of the lid, and get out. The shrimp almost certainly couldn't jump from the water more than an inch or so, so I don't expect they'd be able to jump out a hole in the center of a lid.

I'm also new to this so please don't take my word as gospel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Siochain posted:

Well crap. Did a water change on the new planted guppy tank and since then most of the fish have died. Temperature was matched I dosed with prime and just...thrashing around then gone.

I love this hobby but sometimes I hate this hobby.

OMG Siochain that's so awful and frustrating and sad. :sympathy:
The worst part is knowing it was something in the water - best solution for bad water is a water change but all you've got is water that you can't trust.

Possibly something leeching from your heater element into your warm water? Weird seasonal water chemistry? We just don't have the gear to test everything that could be tested for.