Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Daxing Dan posted:

Mangastream puts out some duds, but the Jaiminisbox translations are just consistently really loving bad.

The only way you can mess up like this is if you are extremely high, or if your exposure to the Japanese language is so limited that you are utterly unqualified to translate anything. Jaiminisbox's credits page for this chapter lists two people as translators, one person as proofreader, and 1 person as "quality", and none of them managed to do their jobs.

The thing that confuses me about this is that my Japanese isn't good enough to translate stuff like this reliably, but I also know enough to not make the mistakes you mention in this post.

My best guess is that it's someone who 1. has a relatively decent background in Japanese but 2. is not fluent and 3. is very lazy with translations. Like I could see myself making those mistakes if I was just rushing through (for example the guy may have seen the "nan" in "nantsutte" and assumed at a glance it was just Denki being like "What?!", or misread the "ga" as "ka" at a glance and not recognized the common phrase immediately due to lack of true fluency).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Related to that topic, I notice translators have trouble with Kaminari's phrases. He seems to be consistently sarcastic and/or uses a lot of Japanese idioms that get lost in translation. Is that an accurate assessment?

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Finally something happening I give a poo poo about

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

Why do we even keep linking JB since they’re that bad?

Cause they used to be better. However they somehow lost the good translator for My Hero.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that confuses me about this is that my Japanese isn't good enough to translate stuff like this reliably, but I also know enough to not make the mistakes you mention in this post.

My best guess is that it's someone who 1. has a relatively decent background in Japanese but 2. is not fluent and 3. is very lazy with translations. Like I could see myself making those mistakes if I was just rushing through (for example the guy may have seen the "nan" in "nantsutte" and assumed at a glance it was just Denki being like "What?!", or misread the "ga" as "ka" at a glance and not recognized the common phrase immediately due to lack of true fluency).

You don't actually have to be very good at Japanese to make something like this that pretends to be a translation. Someone with 2-3 years of college-level Japanese and a dictionary could probably squeeze out something like this in about an hour, as long as they didn't care about accurately conveying the meaning of the original text.

As far as I can tell, the translators just don't have a solid foundational knowledge of Japanese to work from. Another funny thing about the "man ga ichi" translation is that the same phrase appears a mere two pages earlier in the same chapter, and is correctly translated there, so the translators probably looked that up in a dictionary, but didn't they didn't remember it long enough to recognize it a second time when it came up again. In sentences with harder vocabulary, they often mess up simple grammar too, which makes me think they're translating lines in fragments and attempting to piece them together afterwards, instead of reading them as full sentences and understanding how the pieces fit together and interact. This is only made worse by the fact that Jaiminisbox seems to be rushing out their releases to beat Mangastream to the punch (and both of them already release before the official release date in Japan), and this sort of schedule doesn't allow for the critical thinking and fact checking that would somewhat compensate for their translators' incompetence and produce a better translation.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Related to that topic, I notice translators have trouble with Kaminari's phrases. He seems to be consistently sarcastic and/or uses a lot of Japanese idioms that get lost in translation. Is that an accurate assessment?

While I haven't really noticed any distinctive speech pattern from Kaminari, he does speak in conversational Japanese with slang thrown in, which could definitely throw someone off. One character that did stand out to me was Ibara, who speaks with a very dramatic and Christian flair that got the translators very confused.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Vigilantes!

Koichi, master of seduction.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
lol about the bakugou's suicide advice, surprised thats canon

and im positive JB is so garbage now is because they wanna beat out MS on first release for all that traffic, theyre probably banging out chapters in 20-30 minutes after the leaks get out.

I honestly really cant wait to re-read all of BNHA on viz once the new model rolls out

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Vigilantes is so much fun

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Recently caught up to this by marathoning the anime and then the manga where the anime left off. Can't wait for the next chapter. :allears: On an anime note, the dub seems to have fixed the mistake with Magne when explaining her quirk by simply removing any references to gender, which is where the mistake was originally iirc?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zeratanis posted:

Recently caught up to this by marathoning the anime and then the manga where the anime left off. Can't wait for the next chapter. :allears: On an anime note, the dub seems to have fixed the mistake with Magne when explaining her quirk by simply removing any references to gender, which is where the mistake was originally iirc?

Nah, the mistake was misgendering Magne early on. Japanese doesn't have pronouns, so the words "he" and "she" get added by translations into English. And then a big buff beardo shows up with no explanation as to their gender, and because it's pretty normal for a character to show up and not announce their gender, she got a he and no one knew any different until we got to know Magne better later.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about words like boku and watashi?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about words like boku and watashi?
The former is primarily used by males but it can be used by either and the latter is completely gender neutral although it can be seen as female-leaning sometimes due to the dominant use of Ore by males in manga. They can help, but they aren't guaranteed indicators of gender by any stretch. Also those are First Person Pronouns to replace "I" so they're reliant on the user, well, using them.

Japan does have pronouns. "Kare" is "He" and "Kanojo" is "Her" but they are not required and are actually used rather infrequently. The subject can easily be omitted entirely and understood via context or people can be referred to just by their names which can leave things intentionally vague.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

drjuggalo posted:

lol about the bakugou's suicide advice, surprised thats canon

He was an absolutely irredeemable piece of poo poo for a really long time, it's just that the author didn't really intend for it so now it's sort of ignored. There basically is an invisible disclaimer like 20 chapters in or whatever that is "Hey yeah, just sort of pretend that everything he did before this point didn't happen and he was just a gruff rear end in a top hat type".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GodFish posted:

Vigilantes is so much fun

Part of me kinda likes Vigilantes more than the main series now. Main series still has better art, but I kinda like the basic plot/characters more of the spin-off.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ytlaya posted:

Part of me kinda likes Vigilantes more than the main series now. Main series still has better art, but I kinda like the basic plot/characters more of the spin-off.

Looking at the main character in Vigilantes, he could hang with the crowd in the main series. His powers are seriously A tier.

1. He can fly (as shown in flashbacks as a baby)
2. He can repulse physical attacks
3. He can stick to things
4. He can propel himself at great speed.
5. He can shoot force blasts out of his hands.

I am really interested in where he ends up with his power development. Leading a normal life after all of this seems like a bad ending to it all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nah, the mistake was misgendering Magne early on. Japanese doesn't have pronouns, so the words "he" and "she" get added by translations into English. And then a big buff beardo shows up with no explanation as to their gender, and because it's pretty normal for a character to show up and not announce their gender, she got a he and no one knew any different until we got to know Magne better later.

We knew Magne was trans by the time the anime got there, though, the manga having revealed that over a year before she showed up in the anime, and if I recall correctly the dub still misgendered her. The manga translations making that mistake is understandable, given how the translations come out so quickly, but the anime doesn't have that excuse.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Just checked the scene in question after looking on youtube and the version I watched on Funi's site and yeah they're definitely different.

Original: Magne! Quirk: Magnetism! He can apply a magnetic force to anyone within a 4.5 meter radius! It can focus on a whole body or just a part! Men become south poles and women north poles! He can't make himself a magnet though!

Updated: Magne's Quirk: Magnetism! It's wielder can apply a magnetic force to anyone within a 4.5 meter radius, and can focus on a whole body or just a part! Men become south poles and women north poles! Magnetism doesn't work on Magne though!

Unless you're referring to an even earlier case, which I can't recall after seeing these episodes less than a few days ago. Do remember Spinner saying Big-Sis Magne though. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it was an honest mistake. The guy translating that part may have not known that detail about Magne. And Magne's is a pretty minor character and so no one caught the mistake.

It's fixed now which is all that really matters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulva posted:

He was an absolutely irredeemable piece of poo poo for a really long time, it's just that the author didn't really intend for it so now it's sort of ignored. There basically is an invisible disclaimer like 20 chapters in or whatever that is "Hey yeah, just sort of pretend that everything he did before this point didn't happen and he was just a gruff rear end in a top hat type".
Telling someone to kill themselves as a kid in Japan isn't really viewed as being quite as lovely as it is elsewhere- like the go-to phrase for kids arguing to the point they don't want to be friends with someone anymore is "Go die!" which is basically like "gently caress off and die" and telling someone to kill themselves isn't really too many notches above that.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
anyone who didnt say "kill yourself lol" when they were 15 and had access to the internet is a cop

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryaomon posted:

anyone who didnt say "kill yourself lol" when they were 15 and had access to the internet is a cop

Bakugo was already aiming to be a cop back then though, so he was already failing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And that's an important part of his character arc so it all checks out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Telling someone to kill themselves as a kid in Japan isn't really viewed as being quite as lovely as it is elsewhere- like the go-to phrase for kids arguing to the point they don't want to be friends with someone anymore is "Go die!" which is basically like "gently caress off and die" and telling someone to kill themselves isn't really too many notches above that.

Ryaomon posted:

Eh. I think the scene come across as genuinely crossing a line rather than Bakugou's usual rudeness because of the way Deku reacts to it.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Eh. I think the scene come across as genuinely crossing a line rather than Bakugou's usual rudeness because of the way Deku reacts to it.

I actually like the line as a part of Bakugou's story arc.

It's a proper rear end in a top hat thing to say from someone who thinks they are special to someone they think of as only worthy of mockery. The arc from that overconfident egotistical asshat bully to the surprise at the fitness test to the stunned amazement of seeing Deku blow up the middle of a building to watching Todoroki instantly win by freezing an entire building leading to him breaking down in front of one that he only considered a "pebble" is just perfect. As is his frustrated anger when the other kids are mocking him on the bus.

Makes the whole thing the arc of redemption for a bully and gives you insight into the feelings of inadequacy that led to his actions. Horikoshi just misjudged his audience as there are many who view making a statement like that makes the character irredeemable in their eyes no matter their youth.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The series will end with the Pro Hero Kacchan becoming an anti-bullying advocate with the slogan "don't bully or I'll loving kill you!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

The series will end with the Pro Hero Kacchan becoming an anti-bullying advocate with the slogan "don't bully or I'll loving kill you!"
That sounds pretty in character tbh

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i like monomas poetic prose in the viz version, also seems like he doesnt wanna copy dekus quirk

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

i like monomas poetic prose in the viz version, also seems like he doesnt wanna copy dekus quirk

Well it took Deku most of the school year to learn how to use it without destroying himself, of course Monoma would be a little nervous about copying it.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

drjuggalo posted:

Smart. Copying Deku would require physical contact with a stronger, faster opponent who possesses long range attacks which is not something to base a plan on. Better off doubling up on own team's quirks in an overall strategy and then playing things by ear on what quirks are available to copy safely.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder how Monoma has improved. Did he increase the time he can use a Quirk, can he use more than one Quirk at a time allowing for all sorts of combos, or possibly both?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Monoma copying multiple quirks at once would be really cool, could make up for not having the experience to use any single quirk very effectively.
I always thought Monoma's quirk strains plausiblity when Quirks are supposed to be physical abilities in universe, but obviously a copycat mutant isn't a trope you're gonna leave out when you do superhero fiction. Of course, the same logic makes All for One's quirk even crazier...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder how copying Mina or Mineta's Quirks will work out for Monoma.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder how Monoma has improved. Did he increase the time he can use a Quirk, can he use more than one Quirk at a time allowing for all sorts of combos, or possibly both?

He got a baller suit and that's a real good upgrade.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder how copying Mina or Mineta's Quirks will work out for Monoma.

He got a baller suit and that's a real good upgrade.

Well hopefully that suit is very durable, otherwise Mina's quirk would just melt right through it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

When you think about it, Monoma wouldn't get much use out of Deku, Mineta, Ochako or Mina's Quirks since they all require careful coordination to work properly, (or in Mineta's case, comic book logic/physique) so he's probably gonna rely on his teammates' Quirks instead

Having two Shinsos, for example, is quite useful

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If he was able to increase the amount of time he can hold a quirk for, then there's always the possibility that he grabbed a few of his classmate's quirks before the match started too.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Rhonne posted:

If he was able to increase the amount of time he can hold a quirk for, then there's always the possibility that he grabbed a few of his classmate's quirks before the match started too.

He was only able to hold one quirk at a time during the sports festival.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rouncer posted:

He was only able to hold one quirk at a time during the sports festival.

He can hold multiple, but he can only use them one at a time. So no comboing quirks like All For One did.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, why is everyone assuming that Momoma taking Deku’s power accumulation quirk would be anything other than a good gag when it does nothing since it hasn’t accumulated any power yet?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, why is everyone assuming that Momoma taking Deku’s power accumulation quirk would be anything other than a good gag when it does nothing since it hasn’t accumulated any power yet?

What's to stop Monoma from copying the accumulated power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In general class 1B are starting to take notice of Deku's power.