Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

schmug posted:

WTF is a sales engineer anyways? I always assumed it was something along the same lines as calling a janitor someone who works in the custodial arts.

Supposedly a salesperson who is able to sell engineering solutions, so technical knowledge. The one dude who I do everything in my power to avoid working with in my department of 300ish was a sales engineer for blackberry. Literally everything is FAD and there's an excuse for everything so nothing is his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A Sales Engineer is basically what you get if you take someone from marketing and replace their people skills with just enough technical knowledge to make a bigger mess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Crumps Brother posted:

The worst part of that whole ordeal is that when he finally came back and started posting again people were asking him just what he did to fix the glaring mistake he made. I think lots of folks were genuinely curious about it and not even in a lovely way. Then he came back with this...

bEatmstrJ posted:

Call it semantics if you want, but I'd like to clear something up.

Many of you are asking how the "mistake" was "fixed", or some variant. The short version is: there was no mistake to fix.

Now I will preface by saying that I was very naive in my understanding of joist physics and the potential dangers I imparted upon my home by cutting them. Although much of the feedback from this forum was not constructive in the least, I won't deny that without the concern of many of you, my project might have had a much less safe ending for me or my future home buyers. So for that, I thank you.

That being said, unless my rudimentary understanding of science is completely flawed, if you want to put something in the ground, you have to dig a hole. As far as I know, there's no way around that. If, in the process of digging that hole I happen to break a gas line, well, that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. But alas, no gas lines were broken.

My design called for a sunken bathtub and that's what I got. Whether it was me or the contractor, those joists were getting cut regardless, so really I just saved them some time (naively).

You can all rest assured that my design was executed appropriately by a licensed contractor, who worked with a structural engineer to develop a solution to fit my goal. The city inspector then came by and signed off on it.

The joists are still just as cut as they were a year ago.
Might as well have just said nothing at all for all the good that answer gives.

His rudimentary understanding of science is flawed. A thing that is not supposed to be cut was cut. And of course they're still cut - you can't "uncut" something. He doesn't actually say what was done, but that thing that was done by the licensed contractor, etc. is intended to FIX the MISTAKE. Jesus, what an insufferable butt-nugget. Amazing unwillingness to learn/get out of the well.

schmug posted:

WTF is a sales engineer anyways? I always assumed it was something along the same lines as calling a janitor someone who works in the custodial arts.

Not an engineer, firstly.
They're a salesman with (supposedly) enough technical knowledge to bullshit customers effectively. In my experience, they mostly just know technical words they use to sound like they know what they're talking about.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ashcans posted:

A Sales Engineer is basically what you get if you take someone from marketing and replace their people skills with just enough technical knowledge to make a bigger mess.

I like that explanation better.
Note: still not an engineer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darchangel posted:

I like that explanation better.
Note: still not an engineer.

I always put on a prickly exterior when they come around in hopes that they'll go pester someone else.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ashcans posted:

This is beyond perfect.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How do you even unfuck that?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Ashcans posted:

:vince:

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

schmug posted:

While I agree with the latest definition, an actually good tech sales engineer looks a whole lot like a former engineer with architecture skills who got tired of dealing with the day to day grind and weird hours of (software engineering, network engineering, etc) and already had some people skills above and beyond the minimum required to be a programmer or network plumber, and they now work with/for a salesperson to help make sure the parts numbers/software the salesdroid is trying to shove off to the client actually fit together and do something useful.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The problem with being a sales engineer that was 'promoted' from pure engineering (in software at least) is that over time your tech skills are replaced with steak-dinner and ability-to-hold-liquor skills. After some time, the codebase has changed to the degree that you can't really comment on how difficult/expensive adding custom features would be without pissing off the engineers or taking wild guesses. The engineers will also treat you like a typical salesguy, which you basically are.

That said, it's a sweet gig that every engineer should do at least for a bit. Because you're connected to sales, the organization actually treats you like a valuable person, and the paychecks (assuming sharing of commission) are nice and fat.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Like so many other positions, what Sales Engineers should be and what the majority of them are is miles apart.

Having a salesperson who can speak with reasonable certainty to the client and translate that into a usable spec for the engineers is a godsend, when it works.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Relentless posted:

Like so many other positions, what Sales Engineers should be and what the majority of them are is miles apart.

Having a salesperson who can speak with reasonable certainty to the client and translate that into a usable spec for the engineers is a godsend, when it works.

Where I work the SE/SA role is more about cobbling together existing products in the portfolio to meet the customer's needs. Taking the speed/size/requirements from them then translating it into the solution. If they need anything custom outside of that they leverage professional services.

As you mentioned there is a discrepancy, as a product owner I knew which ones were poo poo and which were good. Often I would just do it myself.

Back to I-beams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mndPt8qV5wg

"do not drill through, or notch the flange" - let alone remove several feet of the flange. If only he had removed several more flanges and his second floor could've basically split along the created seam.

I'm really curious how this would've been fixed. I'm assuming they would've had to run new beams the entire length of the joists. Also his reply is super loving spergy, and yes while technically if he had hired someone to put in a sunken tub they would have also had to cut the I beams. They would've braced the entire thing before removing them.

I did learn one thing from the thread - I should go back and re-run the wiring instead of the junction box I put in when removing a half wall.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
The thing that always worried me in that thread is that he was in California. I know not all of California is earthquake-prone, but still. What's going to happen with insurance when there's a 5.5 or something, everyone's going around complaining about picking up stuff that fell over, and that house folded up in the middle and collapsed in on itself?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

if: ^^^
then: lol

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

The more I think about it the better it is.

He basically took a stick, cut it halfway through then placed it across his knee and applied pressure.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

guaranteed posted:

The thing that always worried me in that thread is that he was in California. I know not all of California is earthquake-prone, but still. What's going to happen with insurance when there's a 5.5 or something, everyone's going around complaining about picking up stuff that fell over, and that house folded up in the middle and collapsed in on itself?

You think he has Earthquake insurance? It is a separate very expensive policy. Homeowners/Renters policy holders are required to be notified annually that damage from an earthquake is NOT covered under any circumstances without a "California Earthquake Authority" policy in force. The deductibles are high and the coverage has such fine riders like "Would you like breakables covered?" (China, glassware, etc) To keep our policy below $1000/year we've opted for something like a 15% deductible. We know we could shoulder that amount in the extremely unlikely event of an earthquake demolishing our house.

Remember kids if an earthquake leaves your house standing but off its foundation the gas leak caught a spark and burned that sucker to the ground.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

schmug posted:

Ideally a sales engineer is the guy who sits between the sale's guys slavish devotion to his quarterly bonus and the engineering team that are hunting about for pitchforks and torches to storm the sales area with. They convert 'we want facebook, but better' into 'ok, that'll be three years and 20 million dollars please', and generally act to pin down the energetically wiggling weasel words from the sales guy into concrete in writing deliverables (that are always changed twelve times before final product).

In reality, yeah, they're basically sales weasels that know just enough technical bits to over promise and under deliver, while being really convincing that they know what they're talking about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sales engineers

https://youtu.be/hNuu9CpdjIo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

guaranteed posted:

He lives pretty close to me in this general area.

He's directly on top of the Elsinore fault and about 30 miles from 3 other faults including the San Andreas which has a 75% chance of magnitude 7.0 in the next 30 years.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FCKGW posted:

He lives pretty close to me in this general area.

He's directly on top of the Elsinore fault and about 30 miles from 3 other faults including the San Andreas which has a 75% chance of magnitude 7.0 in the next 30 years.

Don't worry about it. The tub will have fallen through the floor long before then. Or the house will have burned in a wildfire.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Don't worry about it. The tub will have fallen through the floor long before then. Or the house will have burned in a wildfire.

Or... the rest of the house will fall to matchsticks because of other DIY "renovations" he did that he wasn't shamed to get professional help to fix. Meanwhile that tub will still be standing on a plinth of an over engineered workaround put in place by a contractor terrified of what he saw with the tub. A monument and warning to future DIYers

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Super 3 posted:

Where I work the SE/SA role is more about cobbling together existing products in the portfolio to meet the customer's needs. Taking the speed/size/requirements from them then translating it into the solution. If they need anything custom outside of that they leverage professional services.

As you mentioned there is a discrepancy, as a product owner I knew which ones were poo poo and which were good. Often I would just do it myself.

Back to I-beams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mndPt8qV5wg

"do not drill through, or notch the flange" - let alone remove several feet of the flange. If only he had removed several more flanges and his second floor could've basically split along the created seam.

I'm really curious how this would've been fixed. I'm assuming they would've had to run new beams the entire length of the joists. Also his reply is super loving spergy, and yes while technically if he had hired someone to put in a sunken tub they would have also had to cut the I beams. They would've braced the entire thing before removing them.

I did learn one thing from the thread - I should go back and re-run the wiring instead of the junction box I put in when removing a half wall.

You wouldn't necessarily have to run the entire length of the joists with new ones. Depending on the layout of the floor below you'd probably be better off creating a new load bearing wall to transfer the load to the foundation. At that point you can sister in joists from load bearing wall to load bearing wall. That would at least contain the damage to a single room below.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

You wouldn't necessarily have to run the entire length of the joists with new ones. Depending on the layout of the floor below you'd probably be better off creating a new load bearing wall to transfer the load to the foundation. At that point you can sister in joists from load bearing wall to load bearing wall. That would at least contain the damage to a single room below.

I think there was a kitchen or some poo poo below it? I agree a wall where the flange was cut then new joists would be ideal. Maybe he put up a decorative load bearing column underneath.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

But how do females feel about columns?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bigger, ribbed, flared base.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Super 3 posted:

I think there was a kitchen or some poo poo below it? I agree a wall where the flange was cut then new joists would be ideal. Maybe he put up a decorative load bearing column underneath.

Without the layout of the floor below it's impossible to say but two columns tying into an island might be one of the better solutions. A structural engineer might even be able to justify cutting off the joists at the cut points, installing two new header joists perpendicular to the cut planes along it tied into the adjoining joists and new short joists tied into those in between. That's why talking to a structural engineer is so important; he could probably come up with a situation specific solution that is a tenth the cost of replacing the entire run of the cut joists.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Proteus Jones posted:

Or... the rest of the house will fall to matchsticks because of other DIY "renovations" he did that he wasn't shamed to get professional help to fix. Meanwhile that tub will still be standing on a plinth of an over engineered workaround put in place by a contractor terrified of what he saw with the tub. A monument and warning to future DIYers

Didn’t he have some dangerous overhanging thing on top of his bed too?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

drgitlin posted:

You mean besides himself?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

drgitlin posted:

he built some lights above his bed that had a junction box in a totally closed space

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two notch and mutilated wooden I-beams
Stand in the suburb. . . . Near them, on the ground,
Half sunk a shattered home lies, whose drywall,
And headboards, and concrete bike locks,
Tell that its DIY builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is bEatmstrJ , King of Kings;
Look on my tub, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and leveled tract housing stretch far away.”

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

You think he has Earthquake insurance? It is a separate very expensive policy. Homeowners/Renters policy holders are required to be notified annually that damage from an earthquake is NOT covered under any circumstances without a "California Earthquake Authority" policy in force. The deductibles are high and the coverage has such fine riders like "Would you like breakables covered?" (China, glassware, etc) To keep our policy below $1000/year we've opted for something like a 15% deductible. We know we could shoulder that amount in the extremely unlikely event of an earthquake demolishing our house.

Remember kids if an earthquake leaves your house standing but off its foundation the gas leak caught a spark and burned that sucker to the ground.

Something I learned a little while ago and still haven't gotten around to yet:
-my homeowner's policy covers a fire
-my earthquake policy covers physical damage from an earthquake
-if the earthquake leads to a fire, neither policy covers it!

Like, that's the default. You can add on fire-from-an-earthquake to your policy, but it's not there automatically, and I wasn't even asked if I wanted it when I got my earthquake policy. WHYYyyyyy. Why? Why would they make this be the case? OF COURSE I WANT TO COVER FOR A FIRE jesus loving christ

yes yes I know the answer is because it gives them an excellent chance of being able to deny a claim because they are soulless ghouls

schmug
May 20, 2007

ahahahaaa

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

-if the earthquake leads to a fire, neither policy covers it!

In the state of California this is flatly not true. Your fire policy is comically absolute that it will cover your house if it burns down.

California Department of Insurance posted:

Fire

Earthquake insurance usually does not cover anything that your homeowners policy already covers. For example, your homeowners policy covers fire damage, even if an earthquake causes the fire. Therefore, your earthquake policy does not cover fire damage.

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/105-type/95-guides/03-res/eq-ins.cfm

As I understand it it dates back to a historic Lloyd's of London decision: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd%27s_of_London#1906:_San_Francisco_earthquake_and_Cuthbert_Heath

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Leviathan Song posted:

I assume since only the top was cut that you could glue laminate the missing section. Since the top flange is in compression, it should be fine. Maybe.

I'm just wondering how to retrofit a sunken tub into the second floor. I would assume you would need to change the entire floor to a raised floor, reducing ceiling height by 6" and having to go up a step to get into the bathroom. That means any doors also have to raised. :psyduck:

joats fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 12, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

joats posted:

I assume since only the top was cut that you could glue laminate the missing section. Since the top flange is in compression, it should be fine. Maybe.

I'm just wondering how to retrofit a sunken tub into the second floor. I would assume you would need to change the entire floor to a raised floor, reducing ceiling height by 6" and having to go up a step to get into the bathroom. That means any doors also have to raised. :psyduck:

What you do is leave the doors where they are, but slope the floor uphill toward the bath, so that by the time you get to the area it's several inches deep and you can sink the tub back to the floor level. Sure it makes tiling a little tricky, and you have to worry about sliding away when you step out of the tub, but the moat of river stones really helps with that part.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

In the state of California this is flatly not true. Your fire policy is comically absolute that it will cover your house if it burns down.

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/105-type/95-guides/03-res/eq-ins.cfm

As I understand it it dates back to a historic Lloyd's of London decision: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd%27s_of_London#1906:_San_Francisco_earthquake_and_Cuthbert_Heath

Welp, time to fire my broker, lol!

thanks man

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Welp, time to fire my broker, lol!

thanks man

I mean, read your policy documents and call the underwriting company to verify and all that. Also remember if your house falls down, then the pile of rubble catches fire, you're hosed without that CEA policy.

(Also check out the CEA Brace and Bolt program.)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FCKGW posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two notch and mutilated wooden I-beams
Stand in the suburb. . . . Near them, on the ground,
Half sunk a shattered home lies, whose drywall,
And headboards, and concrete bike locks,
Tell that its DIY builder well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is bEatmstrJ , King of Kings;
Look on my tub, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and leveled tract housing stretch far away.”

:perfect:
This isn't getting nearly the love it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I mean, read your policy documents and call the underwriting company to verify and all that. Also remember if your house falls down, then the pile of rubble catches fire, you're hosed without that CEA policy.

(Also check out the CEA Brace and Bolt program.)

I've been waiting year after year for my ZIP code to get added to the brace & bolt program. Still no luck, goddamnit.

Probably my broker just didn't know that my homeowners' policy would have to cover the fire... but I feel like an insurance broker ought to know that sort of thing, and it's not like he's done anything for me in the last 9 years since I got my insurance, so I've got no loyalty there.