Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monoggel
Jan 14, 2013
Göran Therborn has written a pretty thorough english-language analysis of the current political situation in Sweden for the New Left Review, with particular emphasis on the decline of the Social Democrats: https://newleftreview.org/II/113/goran-therborn-twilight-of-swedish-social-democracy

It seems to give a decent, structurally grounded background to swedish politics, so I thought I would post it here. Not from Sweden though, so I'm not the best judge.

Here's a couple of choice cuts:

quote:

The 1980s witnessed the international breakthrough of neoliberal economics. A group of SAP economists formed a seminar to learn about the new ideas from Chicago, managing to get the ears of the Finance Minister, Kjell-Olof Feldt, and the governor of the Central Bank. Marketization and the control of inflation became the new priorities of Social Democratic policy. In 1985, this cabal pushed through the deregulation of Sweden’s credit and capital markets. Feldt reported that when he presented the proposal to Olof Palme, the Prime Minister replied, ‘Do what you want, I don’t understand anything anyway.’

quote:

What’s the matter with Scania? One major contributing factor is the region’s proximity to Denmark [...]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How dare he s-

quote:

...with its recent currents of rowdy petty-bourgeois populism and xenophobia.

Well, can't argue with that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So is the Annie Lööf strategy to just keep saying no to every possible combination until everyone gives up and she gets the job?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So is the Annie Lööf strategy to just keep saying no to every possible combination until everyone gives up and she gets the job?

Someone had to be head guillotine tester in the future V majority government. Let her do that.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

In the mind of Annie Lööf there is only Annie, the rest of us are just a figment of her imagination.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
So much for the politically neutral budget. M + KD + SD is a thing already in budget negotiations, why not just make it official?

https://www.dn.se/ekonomi/just-nu-riksdagen-rostar-om-budgeten/

quote:

Riksdagen har antagit Moderaternas och Kristdemokraternas budgetmotion. Med en knapp majoritet vann den över regeringens övergångsbudget.

I don't really need a raise at the expense of others getting less. I kinda feel like I am not taxed enough at this point in Sweden...

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 12, 2018

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it just struck me that the danish government is still hanging on despite a single-seat majority supporting a comparatively tiny party

how the gently caress is that happening

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Racism's one hell of a drug.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

it just struck me that the danish government is still hanging on despite a single-seat majority supporting a comparatively tiny party

how the gently caress is that happening

With much despair.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Most of the left wing is just as racist and bourgeoise and supports them as well. We're down to two or three actual leftist parties, depending on how you count the social liberals.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
So Janne & Annie are OK with politics that are dependent on SD but not a statsminister/regering? Can Steffe refuse to get voted on? Because he should, obviously C&L have changed their minds. And letting them vote no to him again only gives them cover to say: "Well, we have to have a statsminister"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dirk Pitt posted:

So much for the politically neutral budget. M + KD + SD is a thing already in budget negotiations, why not just make it official?

https://www.dn.se/ekonomi/just-nu-riksdagen-rostar-om-budgeten/

I don't really need a raise at the expense of others getting less. I kinda feel like I am not taxed enough at this point in Sweden...

Anything interesting in there?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

:same:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

Anything interesting in there?

Lower taxes for the rich, petrol and air travel. Less money to social and environmental work. So no, it's a very uninteresting right wing budget.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Potrzebie posted:

Lower taxes for the rich, petrol and air travel. Less money to social and environmental work. So no, it's a very uninteresting right wing budget.

Lol just as a gently caress you to anyone with a sense of solidarity, they abolished the tax break for union dues. What a poo poo show.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 12, 2018

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Jämställdhetsmyndigheten is getting axed as well.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk Pitt posted:

Lol just as a gently caress you to anyone with a sense of solidarity, they abolished the tax break for union dues. What a poo poo show.

Yeah that can not be anything else than a "gently caress you, worker!"

Time to build guillotines.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Potrzebie posted:

Yeah that can not be anything else than a "gently caress you, worker!"

Time to build guillotines.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. It is literally punishment to those who likely didn't vote for them. Just a huge "gently caress you, I need the money." The tax break was a joke, but I've never seen a "anti-tax" group raise taxes on a segment of the population so brazenly, and I am American.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 13, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oh, also, as if the nazi poo poo wasn't enough, the new residency rules mean 10,900 people will be disqualified from unemployment insurance.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

zokie posted:

So Janne & Annie are OK with politics that are dependent on SD but not a statsminister/regering? Can Steffe refuse to get voted on? Because he should, obviously C&L have changed their minds. And letting them vote no to him again only gives them cover to say: "Well, we have to have a statsminister"

Annie is a goddamn charlatan, I cannot believe anyone actually buys the "decent liberal" act. She's so full of Randyan horseshit she couldnt tell an HDR report from a quarterly statement.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 41 hours!)

SplitSoul posted:

Oh, also, as if the nazi poo poo wasn't enough, the new residency rules mean 10,900 people will be disqualified from unemployment insurance.

Including me *and* my Danish GF.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The PM said children in poverty is "a challenge" and that's why we have things like Christmas charity. You know, the thing that's been enormously overburdened for years since especially single parents had their welfare eviscerated and WHY DO MUSLIMS GET IT TOO THEY CELEBRATE MUHAMMAD? The rest of the year thousands subsist on illegal* donations from strangers, but as the CEPOS director recently said, children actually learn a valuable lesson from poverty. I didn't read the rest because I blew a blood vessel in my eye, but I assume the lesson involves rushing to establish a think-tank for Randian sociopaths whose donations are deductible to the tune of 265% the maximum union membership deductible.

*It's literally illegal to receive money from anyone else if you're on welfare. It will be deducted 1:1 from next month's transfer if discovered.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Rust Martialis posted:

Including me *and* my Danish GF.

This is astounding to me. When you hate brown people so much you are willing to gently caress over "your own population" to purge them. I'm sure ghetoplannen will gently caress things up more for the same morons that voted for the nazis to get cute trying to skirt EU law.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 41 hours!)

I had to explain to my boss at work there were A-Kasse changes starting Jan 1st. Most Danes aren't affected by it and really don't know about it.

Basically, if you have to live in (Denmark or the EEA) for 6 of the last 7 years, or you cannot get A-Kasse, which is funded by deductions from your pay. Membership in an A-Kasse is voluntary, incidentally. There's also an initial 12 month period you can't claim benefits on first joining, but that's been there a while.

I came to DK in August 2017, and joined the A-Kasse with PROSA, the IT Nerd "union". As of 01 Sept 2018, I was eligible for benefits should I lose my job. As of January 1, 2019, I will become ineligible until September 2023. My GF spent about 3 years in the USA and Canada in grad school. She came back to Denmark before me in September 2016. She, born in Denmark and living in Denmark her whole life until grad school, is ineligible until early 2023 as well, in spite of years paying A-Kasse beforehand and since returning.

You can get the integration payment instead but IIRC you have got to be absolutely broke. And it's poo poo money anyhow.

So in January I just cancel my A-Kasse membership until 2022. It's like 1000kr pr. måned

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is astounding to me. When you hate brown people so much you are willing to gently caress over "your own population" to purge them. I'm sure ghetoplannen will gently caress things up more for the same morons that voted for the nazis to get cute trying to skirt EU law.

The EU and the constitution are pretty specific about the whole "discrimination" thing, so we're forced to go through all sorts of loopholes to mostly target immigrants rather than solely targeting them, which is an acceptable sacrifice since it mostly hits people who wouldn't vote for the racists anyway. The nativists floated the idea of signing out of the EUHRC with the ironclad argument of "it's not like we wouldn't have human rights without it," but that at least was still a bridge too far.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rust Martialis posted:

So in January I just cancel my A-Kasse membership until 2022. It's like 1000kr pr. måned

:stonklol:

Swedish A-kasse would be about 1/10:th of that for your profession. And you'd be eligible after 6 months.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

:stonklol:

Swedish A-kasse would be about 1/10:th of that for your profession. And you'd be eligible after 6 months.

Things can always get worse here too as yesterday was a stark reminder of. :sigh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dirk Pitt posted:

They typically don't live anywhere near immigrants, so probably not. They're often old, however, and will feel the full brunt of further cutbacks on healthcare. There should be a cut-off age for voting.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/anderslindberg/status/1073095584242896896?s=21

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Moderaterna continues being a party with garbage people for garbage people.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I told a former coworker about the new budget. Told him how union membership fees would no longer be tax deductible and his response was "good. It's not right that as an SD voter my money should go to the social democrats.

I tried to explain this was not how it worked at all and that he would now be paying additional tax that would go to the rich. He responded with a rant about how he voted Palme and liked the social democrats better then.

He also talked about how more people die from Traffic accidents in Afghanistan than from terror attacks and so it's ridiculous for people from there to claim asylum.

The next rant was about how the people who handle immigrants make billions every year and so it's no wonder that they push for more asylum seeker.

He then said that was was hypocritical for Sweden to accept refugees from Yemen when Sweden sells Saudi Arabia 200 billion kr worth of weapons every year.

That some big expensive dinner was hosted where dictators were invited but SD were excluded.

I wonder if I can track down what particular internet shithole he gets his news from based on his news flow. I accused him of picking up nazi news on facebook but he claims he got it all from Aftonbladet.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 13, 2018

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wtf is he not unionised

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fukken idiot why would you not be unionised in scandinavia

you have basically no rights if you're not in a unionised workplace

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

wtf is he not unionised

He is in the union and has been for decades. It greatly bothers him that through LO his union fees are funnelled into the social democrats.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well one imagines part of the reason was to prevent stuff like this from happening

too bad social democracy entered a blind alley in the eighties and still hasn't emerged

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Everything is just... :cripes: :smithicide:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The EU and the constitution are pretty specific about the whole "discrimination" thing, so we're forced to go through all sorts of loopholes to mostly target immigrants rather than solely targeting them, which is an acceptable sacrifice since it mostly hits people who wouldn't vote for the racists anyway. The nativists floated the idea of signing out of the EUHRC with the ironclad argument of "it's not like we wouldn't have human rights without it," but that at least was still a bridge too far.
Human rights clearly don't apply to those who are less than human. :smug:

"We'd like to horribly discriminate and hurt immigrants."
"OMG you can't do that!"
"Uh... what if we also included poor people?"
"Sure that's fine. gently caress the poor. Also immigrants. Filthy untermenschen."

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 13, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Katt posted:

He responded with a rant about how he voted Palme and liked the social democrats better then.

Well, they were a helluva lot more left wing economically back then, you should have asked if that was that why he liked them.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well, they were a helluva lot more left wing economically back then, you should have asked if that was that why he liked them.

I think he's just super racist to be honest.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So we need a government that doesn't have the support of SD. But we also need a budget that has the support of SD. And no one can figure out how to get the first according to Annie. That makes total sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Palme de-regulated the banks and inadvertently caused the 90's crash.