Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

spb posted:

I don’t think you want to have flow bjj unless in an actual fight or competition because I think you need to be thinking about the moves you are doing and pushing yourself to try new moves which you will need to be conscious of in order to preform correctly.

If you’re at the point where you don’t think about your bjj moves while training, you’re not challenging yourself enough.

Agree. About 4vor 5 years in I spent a lot of time thinking this flow state was ideal for the majority of the time and I believe it slowed my development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

I don’t think you want to have flow bjj unless in an actual fight or competition because I think you need to be thinking about the moves you are doing and pushing yourself to try new moves which you will need to be conscious of in order to preform correctly.

If you’re at the point where you don’t think about your bjj moves while training, you’re not challenging yourself enough.

That's not really what a flow state is....

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yeah this is an awesome feeling but the more you do jits the more it just comes to you. Although I dont think this is just about moves, its also about a general awareness. About being tight in your attacks and drilling the poo poo out of things so this "unconscious BJJ" becomes a part of you.

Its definitely the result of a lot of training. While my schedule has become erratic due to life stuff, I've trained around 4 times a week for the past several months, and I can feel I'm in a state where I can absorb new stuff and make breakthroughs. The total effect though is kinda ephemeral, I can't really point to exactly what it is or summon it on command like I can a technique or sequence.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

That's not really what a flow state is....

Isn't it just automatic processes? Reacting without thinking? That's how I've interpreted it..

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spb posted:

Isn't it just automatic processes? Reacting without thinking? That's how I've interpreted it..

Its "reacting without thinking" in the fact you are comfortable enough that you naturally transition into things, not "reacting without thinking" in that you are a robot disembodied from your actions

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

I thought the flow state was to help you concentrate on technique and allowing for positional changes more gracefully than sparring, where those positional changes or moves require more energy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have never been in this flow state, I spend most of my rolling thinking about what to do next, or trying to catch a few breaths. It sounds awesome though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
gently caress getting into the flow

I want to get into the glow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8wvxAqQts

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
True flow is when you conceed the pass or sweep because it would be more elegant. we are all one anyway so position is meaningless.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

Flow states are generally described as the feeling of time slowing down, everything becoming more lucid, outside noise being blocked out, and people being completely in tune with their bodies.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress getting into the flow

I want to get into the glow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8wvxAqQts

Sho'nuff

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

I disagree. Yes, you need to be able to mentally engage to push yourself to explore and perfect new technique, but I think particularly on the defensive side (since that's where I spend most of my time as a new grappler) if you have to think every time you do anything when you roll with a faster more skilled opponent you're going to be in trouble if you're having to think through basic reactive techniques like "elbows in," "frame," "hip out," etc, especially if you have an opponent who is varying up angles and methods of attack.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

JaySB posted:

Flow states are generally described as the feeling of time slowing down, everything becoming more lucid, outside noise being blocked out, and people being completely in tune with their bodies.

This is what I think of as flow state.

Automatic processing is more like "Unconscious competence" from the Four stages of competence. For BJJ you might hip / shrimp out of a bad position or frame without thinking about it. But when you first start you have to think "poo poo, I need to shrimp out of this" I suppose the better you get, the more physical movements start to go into the unconsciousness competence category.

Or how about, if you are going to sweep someone, at first you think: I need to get a lapel grip, then I need to put my foot here, then I need to move my leg like this, then I need to swing my hips. But after 1000s of repetitions eventually you think "I need to scissor sweep someone" and you just execute it without thinking about every step on it's own.

Something like that.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Alright lads, how long until I get fit? Because gently caress me I'm getting destroyed at this new gym. My knuckles are still shredded to pieces so I've skipped Gi this week, went to no gi wrestling training. We are lucky enough to have a genuine wrestling coach which I think is rare for the UK and why so many UK belts are retained at our gym.

The warm up wrecked me. Then the actual drilling and sparring made me almost pass out. I threw up in my mouth on the way home. I saw that some kiddies were skipping rounds and I didn't, because they were a minority and I didn't want to look like a pussy, but at the same time I'm now led in the bath dead. Its taken me about an hour to be able to move.

If I'm doing weights twice a week and 2 classes once a week, surely I should be fit soon and not utterly destroyed every time? Admittedly I'm still heavier than I was ever naturally but I've been a year off the gear now I'd of thought my body would have caught up with being this heavy.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You want to be thinking while you train, but not thinking while you compete, imo.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Alright lads, how long until I get fit? Because gently caress me I'm getting destroyed at this new gym. My knuckles are still shredded to pieces so I've skipped Gi this week, went to no gi wrestling training. We are lucky enough to have a genuine wrestling coach which I think is rare for the UK and why so many UK belts are retained at our gym.

The warm up wrecked me. Then the actual drilling and sparring made me almost pass out. I threw up in my mouth on the way home. I saw that some kiddies were skipping rounds and I didn't, because they were a minority and I didn't want to look like a pussy, but at the same time I'm now led in the bath dead. Its taken me about an hour to be able to move.

If I'm doing weights twice a week and 2 classes once a week, surely I should be fit soon and not utterly destroyed every time? Admittedly I'm still heavier than I was ever naturally but I've been a year off the gear now I'd of thought my body would have caught up with being this heavy.

Sitting out is fine. It took me ~3 months of 2-3 classes a week to feel not poo poo after class and I dropped 25-30lbs in the first six months.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I'm going to assume you're brand new to hug-man sports Willie. You're going to be mega-gassed until you learn to grapple better, because until then you're going to be over exerting yourself on every movement even if its only a little bit, and on top of that you may or may not be panic-spazzing because someone actively trying to smoosh and choke you is a brand new feeling that's gonna make you panic a bit which will cause you to lose more energy from the adrenaline dump.

So long story short the only thing that will get you more "fit" is to go to more classes and roll more and in a couple of months you'll be right as rain.

source: I'm a fat man that routinely rolls with fit bros and they gas out way before I do.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 12, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Are you a white belt Willie? Because this is pretty normal for a new white belt.

Like I tell every white belt: tap often, learn how to breathe properly and focus on the basics and most of all: have fun!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spandexcajun posted:

This is what I think of as flow state.

Automatic processing is more like "Unconscious competence" from the Four stages of competence. For BJJ you might hip / shrimp out of a bad position or frame without thinking about it. But when you first start you have to think "poo poo, I need to shrimp out of this" I suppose the better you get, the more physical movements start to go into the unconsciousness competence category.

Or how about, if you are going to sweep someone, at first you think: I need to get a lapel grip, then I need to put my foot here, then I need to move my leg like this, then I need to swing my hips. But after 1000s of repetitions eventually you think "I need to scissor sweep someone" and you just execute it without thinking about every step on it's own.

Something like that.

This is what I was feeling re: my OP.

I was thinking quite a bit about my overall position, what guard pass to use, and what my opponent might do against me. At one point I thought "oh, he's moved his legs, I'll change my passing direction to go behind him". And my body kinda just did the required things, including using my feet to very effectively pummel in a way that was new to me.

I'd train like this almost every day if I could. I absorbed the drills like a sponge even though they were tricky at first. When I was in bad positions I neither spazzed out nor gave up, I merely moved steadily towards my escape. I landed techniques I've been working on, as well as the move of the day. The only thing lacking was the intense physicality that is good for competition training, but I only do that during camps anyway.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for 5 weeks, plus a few months of general mma training years ago. Five weeks is, not coincidentally, also how long it took to read this thread from the start.

They graduated a 13 year old boy into the adult class last night and, when it came time to roll, I ended up next to him on the mat and offered to go a round. "We'll go real easy, because I'm watching out for my elbow", I said, gesturing to a compression sleeve.

Four minutes later I had taken it too easy and the kid had side control and was cranking an Americana. I death gripped his gi and stole glances at the clock thinking "C'mon kid, it's even the hurt arm."

Tonight is the no gi night which always makes me a bit more anxious since it's a slightly different, more MMAish group and I'm always, clearly, the worst at these more athletic singles and doubles and stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

willie_dee posted:

I've found holding yourself to three days a week of bjj helps your endurance build naturally.

Like others have said, a lot of it is learning how not to totally spaz out and control your energy. However, as a dude who was in the same spot earlier this year, one thing I can recommend is to measure your progress not in terms of victories but in terms of rounds you can go. You arent gonna stand a chance even against other white belts your first few months so it's better to measure victories in how long you can go.

Took me about 4 or 5 months before I could handle rolling all night until it was time to mop up.

I also get pissed at the dudes who have lost weight in BJJ haha. I've gotten in way better shape and have way better endurance and haven't lost a goddamn pound. There is a small crew of dudes 230+ who all roll together since everyone else is afraid of us. We just say we are man sized.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for 5 weeks, plus a few months of general mma training years ago. Five weeks is, not coincidentally, also how long it took to read this thread from the start.

They graduated a 13 year old boy into the adult class last night and, when it came time to roll, I ended up next to him on the mat and offered to go a round. "We'll go real easy, because I'm watching out for my elbow", I said, gesturing to a compression sleeve.

Four minutes later I had taken it too easy and the kid had side control and was cranking an Americana. I death gripped his gi and stole glances at the clock thinking "C'mon kid, it's even the hurt arm."

Tonight is the no gi night which always makes me a bit more anxious since it's a slightly different, more MMAish group and I'm always, clearly, the worst at these more athletic singles and doubles and stuff.

Tap early.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Jack B Nimble posted:

Five weeks is, not coincidentally, also how long it took to read this thread from the start.

what the gently caress

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Danaher with a new video on triangle details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDE0fkzZT6I

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

what the gently caress

If you think I should have done it faster, :shrug: I was mostly browsing while at work. If you think I shouldn't have done it all I dunno, it's like 8 years of good posts about grappling. It definitely helped me have a much better perspective about being a whitebelt compared to the last time I tried it.

CommonShore posted:

tap early

You're right, and they point it out at the start of most classes, but thanks for reinforcing it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 13, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Holy gently caress this has me kind of angry at how I've been taught so far - this is very close (with a few adjustments) to how I naturally figured out triangles for myself, but loving everyone was telling me that I had to be straight on to do it correctly. Now people bust through my triangles straight forward, exactly as he was describing.

gently caress gently caress gently caress. I'm not even sure what to think about all of this right now. It's possible that I'm just in a pissy mood.

(sweet details though)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you think I should have done it faster, :shrug: I was mostly browsing while at work. If you think I shouldn't have done it all I dunno, it's like 8 years of good posts about grappling. It definitely helped me have a much better perspective about being a whitebelt compared to the last time I tried it.

Holy lol, some one read me asking for dumb white belt advice, then giving dumb blue belt advice, and now being an embarrassed purple belt about the aforementioned advice.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

you're an amateur, i've been giving blue belt advice for 10 years straight

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

all you little 'babies' with your 'promotions'

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dreamed I was a black belt and everyone else was a white belt sigh

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Was the dream a manifestation of how you're the only person at your gym that doesn't wash their belt?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Was the dream a manifestation of how you're the only person at your gym that doesn't wash their belt?

No I wash my belts all the time now

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

Dreamed I was a black belt and everyone else was a white belt sigh

That sounds like a super boring existence.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I watched this yesterday. This is like 90% how I do my triangles now since I was taught this properly. You can see how Danahers left leg right from the getgo traps Farias right arm. I usually control the head with my both arms and then free one up to setup the lock. I do everything up to the part of the leg underhook but I usually only go for that if they are stacking because otherwise if they are defending properly you wont get an arm under there on experienced people because they are attempting to posture up and shove their knees under my butt. Most experienced people also know once you change that angle (like you are looking into their ear), it tightens up immensely.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I straight up almost tore off the t-shirt of a dude today. He was scoping the place out and didn't have a gi yet but wanted to roll. I never realized how much I rely on gi grips because right away I had two handfuls of his t-shirt and realized I had to let go lest I tear it in half.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I straight up almost tore off the t-shirt of a dude today. He was scoping the place out and didn't have a gi yet but wanted to roll. I never realized how much I rely on gi grips because right away I had two handfuls of his t-shirt and realized I had to let go lest I tear it in half.

Train some no-gi son. You'll realize gi grips are a crutch, and you will see the dark side in its glory.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm more of a gi person than no gi. Whenever I spar no gi, I always go, "what am I supposed to grip now?"

Guess I should do more no gi.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I definitely employ a more no gi style grip game in gi. I'm sure with time it'll become more of a seamless transition but I don't like the idea of going back and forth between the two and not knowing what to grab, also I like my fingers not hosed up.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ever since i stopped mainly donning the coward's garb in favor of spandex wrestling, i've started utilizing mostly no-gi grips and it's like i got a fresh set of hands. i don't remember the last time i did spider guard anything and it's the best choice i've ever made tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Train some no-gi son. You'll realize gi grips are a crutch, and you will see the dark side in its glory.

yeah looking at the class schedule and they do some no-gi stuff on wednesday so I might as well check it out next time

I had a minor victory rolling today in that I was confident enough for the first time in a reversal technique that I deliberately baited my opponent. Learned a pretty sweet armbar to back mount move and as soon as I saw my opponent was trying for an armbar I let him have it just so I could try the move.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 14, 2018