Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

redsniper posted:

Also how the hell was Unit 01 getting lowered down central dogma after Kaworu? Is there an elevator or harness or something that just isn't shown very well?

It jumped down, which means that Kaworu was falling/flying at the speed of an Evangelion going terminal velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Magma Diver and Angel Angel Revolution are both great for that awkward Shinji x Asuka banter. Her haughty demeanor really hits that sweet spot of "I'm a girl and SOOOO much more mature than YOUUUUUU" teen rage.

Is Asuka the Tsundere queen mother or is that more like Akane?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is the one with the hosed up Rei face

The one with just the crudely drawn head against a black background and 'hurrr' expression, right? I've only ever been able to screengrab that (for avatars and other nonsense) from the Evangelion Opus AMV and never really remember what episode or even if it's from a movie instead.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FilthyImp posted:

Is Asuka the Tsundere queen mother or is that more like Akane?

Akane is the patron saint. Honestly, I don't think Asuka was a tsundere for the series. In Rebuild it's definitely there, and I know fans have given her that tsundere label through discussions and fanfiction and such, but if she's anything she's a ton of tsun with little to no dere.

I hate myself for answering this question.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Maurice Augustus posted:

What are your top 3 moments/scenes?

For me right now
  • Wounded Rei being carted in after Shinji refuses to pilot Eva
  • Shinji coming in to Rei's place for the first time, stills of her room
  • Asuka's breakdown in shower

• When Unit 01 first comes out of the storage supports/restraints and it goes into that bestial Eva slouch/slump.

• Unit 01 looking around like a guilty dog as it's eating the angel

• Asuka reaching up and putting Unit 02 into berserker mode and it mirrors her motion right before she meets her end. What a fantastic shot. What a devistating, horrifying, fantastic shot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Maurice Augustus posted:

What are your top 3 moments/scenes?

For me right now
  • Wounded Rei being carted in after Shinji refuses to pilot Eva
  • Shinji coming in to Rei's place for the first time, stills of her room
  • Asuka's breakdown in shower

I need to go back through the original series again, but having recently seen the rebuilds I gotta go with:
  • Asuka's introduction in 2.0 - it's a complete 180 from the "fly by the seat of your pants" action associated with Shinji, as if she's been doing it for years.
  • The first Tokyo-3 transformation sequence - I'm a sucker for well-done transition/transformation sequences
  • The leadup to the second Ramiel fight when they're throwing everything at it - It just continues to enforce how useless conventional military actions are against the Angels

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

a kitten posted:

[*] Unit 01 looking around like a guilty dog as it's eating the angel
Think it's in the Rebuilds but any time you get a silhouette of U1's head looking up and all you see are the °  ° that make up its eyes.
loving scary poo poo.

Also I have to keep remembering that the Evas aren't dudes.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The images in EoE of Asuka’s pilot chair looking like a slender body before she fights.

The mp Eva fight

The symbolism of the mountains in the image of Shinji as a kid at a sandbox.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Should I try to get my baby boomer catholic coworker to watch this since it has crosses in it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Should I try to get my baby boomer catholic coworker to watch this since it has crosses in it
Yes!

e: To elaborate; this might seem like a joke answer, but NGE feels like it'd make for a strong showing for people who normally don't watch anime.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 15, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

buglord posted:

Hell yeah bro

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Episode 5 is probably going to be the big hurdle, what with Shinji falling on top of naked Rei.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scyantific posted:

[*]The first Tokyo-3 transformation sequence - I'm a sucker for well-done transition/transformation sequences

[/list]

Ohhh yeah, aside from the power grid being re-routed it's this sequence of the city waking up from 2.22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzJOeyJgFM

loving beautiful

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Redirecting the power grid to one friggin weapon was a couple of scenes that I glossed over when I was 13. When I rewatched it, and on every rewatch since (including Rebuilds), it is always so cool to see. It scratches the same itch that Shin Godzilla did, in that otherwise mundane logistics and planning pulls off a otherworldly result you couldn't think possible.

Anno has this weird knack for that stuff.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

buglord posted:

What? No, my grandma saw me watching it while they were taking about Lilith and made me turn it off and scolded me because it was heresy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what possible loving reason would you have to recommend a show to someone you know irl that you also know is going to hate it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
it would be hilarious

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

The one with just the crudely drawn head against a black background and 'hurrr' expression, right? I've only ever been able to screengrab that (for avatars and other nonsense) from the Evangelion Opus AMV and never really remember what episode or even if it's from a movie instead.

This? Episode 25. She also appears in 14 when Shinji’s in unit 00

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

what possible loving reason would you have to recommend a show to someone you know irl that you also know is going to hate it
For kicks. Maybe also shits 'n giggles.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Please don't ruin your coworker's christmas

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Ohhh yeah, aside from the power grid being re-routed it's this sequence of the city waking up from 2.22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzJOeyJgFM

loving beautiful

This one is way better than the one I was talking bout, appears in 1.11 when Misato takes Shinji to her apartment. Wish there was a clip of it on YT tho

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow I was hearing that song in my head before I played the video, really catchy tune.

Also wow I never noticed how obviously CGI the little people are in that clip, and presumably other parts of the movie. They look like lego people or something.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wark Say posted:

Yes!

e: To elaborate; this might seem like a joke answer, but NGE feels like it'd make for a strong showing for people who normally don't watch anime.

That does seem like a joke answer. The initial episodes don't really show what it ends up morphing into and iirc has some really stupid run of the mill anime bullshit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. I was guessing that the question was taking into account the anticipation of Netflix putting the series available in April, which would allow for the potential new watcher to binge it.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Mindblast posted:

That does seem like a joke answer. The initial episodes don't really show what it ends up morphing into and iirc has some really stupid run of the mill anime bullshit.

Nah, the first few episodes (up through Ramiel) are very much in the dark and moody vein. It's the episodes between Asuka showing up and Sahaquiel that are all silly and anime-ish.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow I was hearing that song in my head before I played the video, really catchy tune.

Also wow I never noticed how obviously CGI the little people are in that clip, and presumably other parts of the movie. They look like lego people or something.

That song is from the excellent movie The Man Who Stole the Sun.

Maurice Augustus
Nov 27, 2011

What is Shinji listening to in his walkman? Could it be..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lab6Cz9hws

Anyways, what's the deal with Pen Pen? Is he present in the show only to lighten the mood a little?

And buglord of course you should. What could go wrong?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Maurice Augustus posted:

What is Shinji listening to in his walkman? Could it be..? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lab6Cz9hws

Anyways, what's the deal with Pen Pen? Is he present in the show only to lighten the mood a little?

And buglord of course you should. What could go wrong?

Penpen is the final angel

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ever notice how you never see Kaworu and Pen Pen in the same room together?

Even in EoTV, Pen Pen pops up in Instrumentality but Kaworu himself doesn't.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/thatsguccibitch/status/1075838065568931845?s=19

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Motherfucker.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Congratulations!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lost it at King Dedede

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

so. SO good

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of my favourite little scenes is in episode 17 when Fuyutski and Gendo are on the train. It starts as just a nice little bonding moment but quickly segues into discussing Eva 04's destruction. To paraphrase:

Fuyu: ...This was a major catastrophy
Gendo:It's of no consequence. The S2 Engine data is still in Matsushiro
Fuyu: But the Committee is in a total panic!
Gendo: Of course they're panicking. It wasn't scheduled
Fuyu: laughs.
Gendo: scenarios not depicted in the dead sea scrolls can occur. This should teach the old men a lesson

So much happening here:

-Fuyutski is horrified at the loss of life, Gendo dismisses it as irrelevant
-Gendo actually cracks a joke, the only time he ever does so, showing how close he is to Fuyutski is compared to everyone else.
-Both acknowledge that the only reason SEELE cares is that they didn't plan for it.

I also used to think that Gendo's comment that Unit 4s destruction will teach SEELE a lesson is a hint that Gendo sabotaged unit 4 but on reflection thats a bit of a stretch. Still shows that Gendo holds disdain for SEELE.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

quote:

Gendo dismisses it as irrelevant

Well if he succeeds, he's not wrong. :shobon: (even the dead are part of the tang)

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

Well if he succeeds, he's not wrong. :shobon: (even the dead are part of the tang)

I don't think instrumentality would apply to them since they were plunged into another dimension/vanished without a trace. Regardless, Even if Gendo knew that instrumentality applies to the dead the audience doesn't and the contrast against Fuyutski is still effective.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...r-manga/.141963

evangelion anima is getting an english translation this is not a drill

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1070132945870974978

A redub of the original anime be very interesting. I didn't hate it but it wasn't that great. As long as AWL reprises her role as Rei, I'll be happy.

The manga made me a super Rei fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

A redub of the original anime be very interesting. I didn't hate it but it wasn't that great. As long as AWL reprises her role as Rei, I'll be happy.

The manga made me a super Rei fanboy.

tbh I'll be more annoyed if the final film doesn't maintain the dub cast they've been using up until now.

And then I'll mourn the tragic passing of whoever made that decision and Tiffany Grant's subsequent imprisonment.