Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Depends on the seam line. Most modern kits just don't have them, but the older kits with large rounded areas (old gouf, Z'Gok, etc) I'll construct the part, sand out any seam lines with a nail buffing block, deconstruct then go on to the paint etc stage. Sometimes I'll rarely build a part and paint it built, but I've never felt the need to glue parts together or fill. It's entirely possible that it's just because I stick totally to MGs and PGs that I avoid the problem, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

I love my stickered boys! Always use all stickers!

https://imgur.com/a/39eEsUN

E: my big problem with the banshee stickers is that I am scared to death to matte spray them and Frost the psychoframe.

MG Unicorn and derivatives I fully disassembled and had like three bins with a bunch of dividers to hold parts for each arm, leg, head, waist, and chest separately while I painted. Each grouping went in its own foam block on skewers and clips. Most kits don't demand that level of separation, though.

Xaerael posted:

Depends on the seam line. Most modern kits just don't have them, but the older kits with large rounded areas (old gouf, Z'Gok, etc) I'll construct the part, sand out any seam lines with a nail buffing block, deconstruct then go on to the paint etc stage. Sometimes I'll rarely build a part and paint it built, but I've never felt the need to glue parts together or fill. It's entirely possible that it's just because I stick totally to MGs and PGs that I avoid the problem, though.

HG Astray M1 has a front ankle guard seam I can't figure out how to fix and paint with the leg panel underneath it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I always construct first but I use a hobby knife to slightly widen the female ends so that it comes apart easily. It allows for deconstruction easier and makes it easier to clean up seam liens. Also makes priming less wasteful as I'm priming the completed kit, not each individual piece.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've always painted each piece individually, usually with the frame pre assembled, depending on complexity.

Seam lines be damned!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just do OOB builds with panel lining. :shrug:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Same. I haven't tried decals since my first master grade, it didn't end well for me.

In other news, I got a Moon Gundam. I've heard it has no stickers and is pretty amazing for a HG, looking forward to snapping it together.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I don't paint all mine just a select few. Majority get an OOB build.

Looking forward to building the Moon as well, it's supposed to be pretty rad.

Narrative ver Stein is also an excellent HG build.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's all I did for a long time, but my housemate kept telling me I should paint some since I'm a capable model painter, and it just became the norm to paint them from that point. The upshot really is that a kit that would take me a day to make now gives me a number of weeks of entertainment, and it allows me to grow as a model painter while painting something other than wargaming minis.

I'm not the sort to bash people who OOB though. It's supposed to be a hobby that suits people with different needs, wants and abilities, and I think it's the perfect example of hobby-accessibility.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

On the topic of painting, if anyone's ever wondered how people get those amazing detail effects, I just found this utterly awesome vid of a guy decorating the PG Millennium Falcon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_QosiFMKbA

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Seam lines be damned!

I'm only filling seams on one project right now and it's a huge fuckin pain but man it's cool to see. Not worth it to me on 99% of builds but awesome on the ones I really care about

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Welp, sub 100 pieces left to paint. Xmas hiatus time.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So can you do any decent painting with rattle cans? Or is that just not really worth the effort?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

You can get better-than-raw-plastic results. I'd say it's worth it TBH. You're not going to get an airbrush finish, but it will look better. I've done some funky things with automotive spray paint in the past, and I know a bunch of people on the FB group I hang out in use Tamiya rattles a lot.. Consider your topcoats, though. I pretty much always Matte armour and semi-gloss machinery. That alone will make your finished piece pop.

e. also, practice on a lovely kit first. You can easily gum up a kit by overspraying it to death. Blue tack is your friend when it comes to masking off joints and stuff. Just clog up pegs and holes with it, spray, then when it's all dry just pick it out with a toothpick.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 17, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I did the gold bits on my MG Sinanju with a Tamiya spray can, and went over the black bits with a Gundam marker. From personal experience, the results can be good but if you're into Gunpla and want to paint even more, then you may as well invest in an airbrush.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Vahtooch posted:

So can you do any decent painting with rattle cans? Or is that just not really worth the effort?

You can get decent results but it wastes a lot of paint since you can't really control how fast it comes out. A lot of the time they layers will be pretty thick which can be a problem for armor pieces that slide against each other.

One time I tried to get a candy coat finish on an HG Red Frame Astray using only rattle cans. By the time I was putting on the topcoat, the paint was WAY too thick to really work with. I ended up painting the whole thing gold and using it as a trophy for a videogame tournament.

Edit: Speaking of ruined builds, does anyone else throw away and remake kits they made like 10 years ago?

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 17, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Argas posted:

I did the gold bits on my MG Sinanju with a Tamiya spray can, and went over the black bits with a Gundam marker. From personal experience, the results can be good but if you're into Gunpla and want to paint even more, then you may as well invest in an airbrush.

This. The control and color customization blow away rattlecans entirely.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I painted my first kit with rattle cans and found it to not be worth the effort. Paint just goes on way too thick compared to an airbrush. It obscured a lot of the panels lines and it was a huge struggle to assemble it afterwards. To me it would be a better investment to put that money towards a cheap airbrush, it not like rattle can paint is very cheap to begin with.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Old Swerdlow posted:

I painted my first kit with rattle cans and found it to not be worth the effort. Paint just goes on way too thick compared to an airbrush. It obscured a lot of the panels lines and it was a huge struggle to assemble it afterwards. To me it would be a better investment to put that money towards a cheap airbrush, it not like rattle can paint is very cheap to begin with.

Yeah this is sort of what I was worried about since they are still pricy.

I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to justify even a cheap air brush. Should ask around and see if anyone I know has one I can test it out with.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Stolen from Twitter, PG Seven Sword's sword is the size of an actual knife.

https://twitter.com/dendero_no/status/1074111811404759040?s=19

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Old Swerdlow posted:

Pretty much. If you're only going to build, say, one or two kits a year and you want to do some paint but not a complete paint job, and then rattle cans are going to be way friendlier for your budget, but the results are also extremely limited. As Midjack said, they result is pretty thick even in the optimal conditions and it would be incredibly costly/ugly to do a full paint job with them. For something like gold on my MG Sinanju, it was fine. I didn't care to paint the whole kit and it's way better than the stickers, but an airbrush would've done a far better job while being more efficient with paint usage.

Honestly, I don't build kits enough these days to really get back into it but if I do get back into the hobby on a regular basis I'm definitely going to get an airbrush.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

Argas posted:

Pretty much. If you're only going to build, say, one or two kits a year and you want to do some paint but not a complete paint job, and then rattle cans are going to be way friendlier for your budget, but the results are also extremely limited. As Midjack said, they result is pretty thick even in the optimal conditions and it would be incredibly costly/ugly to do a full paint job with them. For something like gold on my MG Sinanju, it was fine. I didn't care to paint the whole kit and it's way better than the stickers, but an airbrush would've done a far better job while being more efficient with paint usage.

Honestly, I don't build kits enough these days to really get back into it but if I do get back into the hobby on a regular basis I'm definitely going to get an airbrush.

Yeah that's the thing, just doing it super inconsistently means its not really worth doing. Though rattle cans for the gold on a strike freedom I have in my cupboard would work....

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All the red parts on my painted builds are army painter spray can jobs. If it's going on so thick that you're obscuring detail/can't put it together then you're using bad paint or bad technique (quick light coats).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

Stolen from Twitter, PG Seven Sword's sword is the size of an actual knife.

https://twitter.com/dendero_no/status/1074111811404759040?s=19

There is no goddamn way that this kit's going to be able to hold these swords.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

There is no goddamn way that this kit's going to be able to hold these swords.

Well it's coming with action bases for the swords, right?

RIGHT???

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

As someone who's built many scale models and is building his second gundam, I get why people don't fill in seams. The kits have incredible engineering already, and gundam are kinda weird in that the things they are supposed to look like are more or less designed to be a graded model kit in the first place, so even just constructing these things gets them drat close to the original. That said, I'm erasing lines and primering poo poo, because...this is how we do it?

I'm building a HG Zaku Sniper. I have a few ideas for painting, no idea if they will work or not.

Also question gundam nerds, do gundam get any wear or weathering? It seems to me they are made of space-age material and get as much maintenance as a F-14A.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 17, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Depends on the universe/series they are from. unless it's SEED it at least gets chipped and roughed up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also question gundam nerds, do gundam get any wear or weathering? It seems to me they are made of space-age material and get as much maintenance as a F-14A.

It's not often shown in the animation, but yeah theoretically Gundams get worn over time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's not often shown in the animation, but yeah theoretically Gundams get worn over time

I love the detailed still shots in 08th ms team, it really helps me trying to visualize weathering a mobile suit.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Everything is preference. For the most part I like my robits to look like they just rolled off the assembly line, as pristine as the creator/engineer envisioned.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I'm giving some thought to how I'll finish my Sazabi Ka. Considering doing a clear red over hot chrome.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Xaerael posted:

I'm giving some thought to how I'll finish my Sazabi Ka. Considering doing a clear red over hot chrome.

If you put the chrome over gloss black it’ll be really chrome.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Null of Undefined posted:

If you put the chrome over gloss black it’ll be really chrome.

I know. I've been doing that for years :P

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm working in my backlog and have made some progress but I'm at an impasse now.

Should I work on the MG Jesta or MG Freedom 2 next?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

I'm working in my backlog and have made some progress but I'm at an impasse now.

Should I work on the MG Jesta or MG Freedom 2 next?

Jesta is a really good build.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Jesta is a really good build.

Seconded. It's not loaded down with fancy gimmicks, and I'd like a couple more weapons, but it's just an amazing build all around.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
does jesta use a GM 2.0 frame? I built the 2.0 and it surprisingly is the best gundam i've built yet and would like more in that same vein (i already bought the two snipers MGs that came out recently, waiting until it gets warmer to build/throw paint on em)

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

tenderjerk posted:

does jesta use a GM 2.0 frame? I built the 2.0 and it surprisingly is the best gundam i've built yet and would like more in that same vein (i already bought the two snipers MGs that came out recently, waiting until it gets warmer to build/throw paint on em)

IIRC the Jesta is its own unique frame

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Jesta's a great kit but the freedom 2.0 is in my top three of best master grades I've ever made.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

The Jesta's a great kit but the freedom 2.0 is in my top three of best master grades I've ever made.

I'll have to promote that one in my backlog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Monaghan posted:

Yeah. I’m not a huge freedom fan but I bought the special edition on some recommendations. It is just a fantastic kit, fun to build, easy to pose. Made me buy the justice too, and I’m kinda hoping for a new Strike Freedom.