Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't help but interpret all these facial expressions as reactions to pantsless spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cabbit posted:

Swear to God it looks like Spidey's just frantically flailing his arms as he runs.

He's just jumping around

Not a single Thwipp so far

Very big odds that Peter forgot his webshooters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
forgot to bring them or forgot they exist?

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Yes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Just because you hear a guy's bulletproof doesn't mean you know he is. It's the Superman problem, you can't be sure unless you shoot him.

Even In the Netflix show people shoot at Cage because they have at least make it look like they tried.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This is Newspaper Luke Cage. It's worth trying to shoot him in case he forgot to be bulletproof.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
For some reason, this reminded me of that stupid Mutant X character whose skin would be bulletproof as long as he held his breath, so the one time he got cornered the bad guy just patiently waited until he couldn't hold it anymore and wailed on him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samuringa posted:

For some reason, this reminded me of that stupid Mutant X character whose skin would be bulletproof as long as he held his breath, so the one time he got cornered the bad guy just patiently waited until he couldn't hold it anymore and wailed on him.

Isn't that how Anissa/Thunder's power works in Black Lightning?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, though who knows how that works? Maybe bulletproof lungs are also oxygen proof?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Actually, that seems like it could make for a cool ability in a video game. Invulnerability on demand, but you've got a timer on it and it ticks down faster the more active you are and the less time it's been since the last time you used it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

This is Newspaper Luke Cage. It's worth trying to shoot him in case he forgot to be bulletproof.

This is the real explanation. Is MJ going to beat Purple Man because she forgot she isn't a Superhero?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

evilmiera posted:

This is the real explanation. Is MJ going to beat Purple Man because she forgot she isn't a Superhero?

"Oh no! If I don't beat the poo poo out of him, he might suspect I'm not Spider-Man!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Actually, that seems like it could make for a cool ability in a video game. Invulnerability on demand, but you've got a timer on it and it ticks down faster the more active you are and the less time it's been since the last time you used it.
Cool down periods in games are really annoying.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can't help but interpret all these facial expressions as reactions to pantsless spiderman.
:same:

It really does work well. It's really helpful that they keep drawing him where his crotch can remain in shadow too.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Johnny Walker posted:

:same:

It really does work well. It's really helpful that they keep drawing him where his crotch can remain in shadow too.

The blond dude's expression makes it work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Ha, you said 'Rob that truck' not 'Dont crush me with that safe!'

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Frankly, I'm siding the Manslaughtertomb in this strip

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm going off topic for a bit, but I found myself thinking.

It would really be cool if there were a character, a good person, that had Killgrave's power of controlling people, but could not "turn it off" and was horrified by it. Just imagine them being super careful during conversations, having to watch how they word things, to avoid inadvertently giving a command and robbing people of their free will. Has this been done before? In comics or other media? I'd be surprised if it hasn't.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mikl posted:

It would really be cool if there were a character, a good person, that had Killgrave's power of controlling people, but could not "turn it off" and was horrified by it. Just imagine them being super careful during conversations, having to watch how they word things, to avoid inadvertently giving a command and robbing people of their free will. Has this been done before? In comics or other media? I'd be surprised if it hasn't.

There’s a side character in the web serial “Worm” who has a low grade vocal control power. She mostly uses it to throw the best concerts (she’s a singer) and make people happy, but she gets in a fight with her boyfriend and tells him to go gently caress himself. He ends up dying and she goes to super jail for manslaughter and sexual assault.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Mikl posted:

Not exactly what you want but one character from Misfits' power is making anyone she touches blindly sexually attracted to her but it's mostly a black comedy show so they don't go too deep into it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i think that happens in the anime Code Geass but i only ever watched one episode of that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

quite stretched out posted:

i think that happens in the anime Code Geass but i only ever watched one episode of that

If he makes eye contact he can command you to do anything he wants with some rules.

It never gets sexual as far as I’m aware.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Lulu loses control without noticing at the worst possible moment and fucks everything up, and the anime takes a very sharp nosedive.

I was going to mention that but it is quickly ignored(He only has to cover his eye) and it isn't a good example.

edit: There is one good moment where a command he gave ages ago ends up causing a nuclear strike tho

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Mikl posted:

Wallflower in New X-Men/Academy X - pheromone control that meant she has to be careful not to influence others positively or negatively unintentionally. Her dad was a creep with the same powers too, which plays into her psyche.

Also, I initially mistook the brown-haired guard thrown into the other guard as Peter, who I fully believe would get out of uniform and fall into a guard while "helping".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is a bold new take on the classic nsm formula of having the guest star pummel peter for several weeks before they team up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Next strip will reveal all those bullets ricocheted off and hit Peter

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Escobarbarian posted:

Next strip will reveal all those bullets ricocheted off and hit Peter

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mikl posted:

It's a little different but this sort of happened in Preacher. In the TV series he accidentally sent someone to hell. I think in the comic he told a guy to gently caress himself and got a result he didn't really expect, but it's been a while since I read that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Ha, you said 'Rob that truck' not 'Dont crush me with that safe!'

Turns out that Purple Man isn't close enough. Luke just has no patience for police brutality.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He loved that plain yellow shirt dearly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a race of star trek people which occasionally spits out individuals with powerful subconscious mind control.

Fortunately this is the space future, and these people end up generally not knowing of their powers, and are extremely kind because everyone they met has treated them nicely. :3

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Sort of adjacent to this line of thought, Boku no Hero Academia has a side character whose power is mind control. He gets judged a lot by people who assume he must be a villain.

...and to bring this conversation full circle, I just realized that since he has purple hair and eyes, he's probably a reference to Killgrave.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Meanwhile on the other side of the bridge, the rest of New York's heroes are watching awestruck by the sight of J Jonah Jameson naked frantically humping a car while ranting about some kind of conspiracy involving Spider-Man and Narwhals. Black Widow leans over to ghost rider and whispers "he's been hitting the stallion dust again."

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 19, 2018

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

Hey sir I really like your idea sir and I really think we should implement it sir why don't you talk to my CSM sir and see what he says sir and hopefully we can get sir this ball rolling sir thanks sir. HOOAH am I right sir.

Johnny Walker posted:

It's a little different but this sort of happened in Preacher. In the TV series he accidentally sent someone to hell. I think in the comic he told a guy to gently caress himself and got a result he didn't really expect, but it's been a while since I read that.

The guy he said that to cut his genitals off and hosed himself with them, then shot himself.

I think Preacher actually highlights how lame a superpower mind control is from a storytelling perspective. A lot of ink is spilled in the comic handwaving why the protagonist doesn't just use it to resolve the story on page one. At one point he literally forgets about it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flaccid French Fry posted:

The guy he said that to cut his genitals off and hosed himself with them, then shot himself.

That does not seem like a very practical, or natural, interpretation of the command.

I think Preacher actually highlights how lame a superpower mind control is from a storytelling perspective.

I think what's really lame from a storytelling perspective is the desire to put out edgy gross-out schlock.

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

Hey sir I really like your idea sir and I really think we should implement it sir why don't you talk to my CSM sir and see what he says sir and hopefully we can get sir this ball rolling sir thanks sir. HOOAH am I right sir.
I will agree that while Garth Ennis is second to none when it comes to character writing in comics, his stories are all undercut by him having the sense of humor of a thirteen year old raised on South Park.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A lot of ink is spilled in the comic handwaving why the protagonist doesn't just use it to resolve the story on page one. At one point he literally forgets about it.

Well, we're definitely back on topic now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I think Preacher actually highlights how lame a superpower mind control is from a storytelling perspective. A lot of ink is spilled in the comic handwaving why the protagonist doesn't just use it to resolve the story on page one. At one point he literally forgets about it.

Although "miss" was a good one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Yeah, just following orders, I've heard that before!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Peter apparently greets people with metal hand gestures now.