Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol at that pull quote

Did they make a non VR version of this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snowman_McK posted:

You wanted to talk about the implied connection between Rises and BvS. I'm just not seeing how the end of one or the beginning of the other contradicts that implied connection

No I didn’t, I wanted to talk about what rises was saying about Batman.

I did want to know if they were canonically tied but that’s settled so time to move on. Whether they contradict each other honestly isn’t important as they are two separate movie continuities and while I may not like BVS that isn’t a bad thing, it’s perfectly fine.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Big Short was a much better told and less indulgent movie about white-collar crime than the Wolf of Wall Street.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol at that pull quote

The story of one guy who hated the front of his boat, and another guy who hated him.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I did want to know if they were canonically tied but that’s settled so time to move on.

Rises says that Batman is a dumbass and has severe emotional issues. BvS just carries on with that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIfwBK7YjWc

Holy poo poo I thought this was just a VR only thing but whoops they made a real movie

For reference:

https://youtu.be/W7YDsYcL-8A

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2018

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wow, John's face now looks as real and natural as his hair has for the last 25 years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I really wish the art direction were better on these. Seeing as season 3 of the show really goes abstract and pop art with its sets and general visuals, moving to an animated medium should have freed them up to go really gonzo with it while keeping the budget low. The comics do an alright job of it, but even those could have been pushed more.

I think most of the DC animated movies have been in that sort of faux-anime style for a while now; I'm going to say since the Young Justice series. I guess it's fine but I don't find it very exciting to look at.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

I really don't understand how "dogs" became a genre recently.

There's no rule that says dogs cant be a genre

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Batman Brave and the Bold is massively underrated.

I'm pretty sure its version of Aquaman is the inspiration for the movie one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I did want to know if they were canonically tied but that’s settled so time to move on. Whether they contradict each other honestly isn’t important as they are two separate movie continuities and while I may not like BVS that isn’t a bad thing, it’s perfectly fine.

You mostly talked about Rises because you tried to find contradictions between Rises and BvS so you could argue against them being canonically tied. And honestly, seeing people like you get all exasperated about canon never gets old.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're thematically tied, not canonically. Of course, BvS Batman borrows strongly from The Dark Knight Returns and the idea of an ageing veteran Batman, but mixed up with a younger inexperienced Superman.

One thing I do like with the superhero movies and their shared universe whatever is that they do some mix ups with the timelines so everybody isn't always vaguely 30, or in the case of younger ones in their vague late teens forever. (until they grow up and are rebooted back)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure its version of Aquaman is the inspiration for the movie one.

Underseen, perhaps. Under-talked about, certainly. But everyone who has seen it raves about it—it's absolutely the spiritual sequel to Batman '66.

And yeah, definitely the Aquaman inspiration, but I like the cartoon version a lot more. Less bro-y and more boisterous and well-meaning.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1075381113407836161

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

lmao

live action remakes!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Fuckin

yikes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Shizam sequel looking dope.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Were people expecting something different? "Will Smith as a genie" was either going to be that or somewhere between Tobias Funke Blue Man Group and Dr. Manhattan.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The non-portrait shot is somewhat better...I'm amazed that they simply went with Will in costume, and not some CG-rotoscoped monstrosity.

EW Cover Story posted:

The final version of Will Smith’s Genie in his blue floating lamp form isn’t quite finished

Oh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know why, but I had assumed Smith’s Genie would be some kind of crazy mo-cap performance. That look is more in line with the broadway costume.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lobok posted:

Were people expecting something different? "Will Smith as a genie" was either going to be that or somewhere between Tobias Funke Blue Man Group and Dr. Manhattan.

I mean the Genie’s two defining characteristics in the original animated film are 1. Played by Robin Williams and 2. Is blue.

Now granted, we don’t know what he sounds like...

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Is Will Smith going to play the dragon in the Mulan remake or its another black guy?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grendels Dad posted:

You mostly talked about Rises because you tried to find contradictions between Rises and BvS so you could argue against them being canonically tied. And honestly, seeing people like you get all exasperated about canon never gets old.

I um did no such thing? Why lie what do you gain. I find rises much more interesting if incredibly flawed movie. The discussion is on this page if you need a refresher

I asked how that squared with the ending but that is not looking for contradictions

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 19, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tino posted:

Is Will Smith going to play the dragon in the Mulan remake or its another black guy?

Will Smith is the new Wayne Brady

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

tino posted:

That was Eddie Murphy

But he is now Box Office Poison

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1075370845692940289

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I um did no such thing? Why lie what do you gain. I find rises much more interesting if incredibly flawed movie. The discussion is on this page if you need a refresher

I asked how that squared with the ending but that is not looking for contradictions

My bad, it was Pope Corky who got visibly agitated at the idea of them being canonically tied, you just reiterated that it added nothing in reply to people who told you what it added. I apologize.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The bottom of the image is cut off so we can't see Danny DeVito as the Sultan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only encouraging thing about that article is that the production seems to be willing to mix it up a bit and that they aren't going to be a shot-for-shot remake of the original. But I still expect a complete lack of imagination to the new stuff, a ton of fanservice, and an unwillingness to reinvent or deviate in any significant way. Fingers still crossed, though. Will looks awful visually and the other costumes look way too cosplay-ish, but it is an EW cover/photo shoot so these things have to be taken with a grain of salt. The new Aladdin actor looks to at least have some charm from the interview.

This may be the only one of the animated remakes I end up bothering to see, unless down the line one of them bothers to actually deviate from the source material in any meaningful way. Or unless this looks awful from the trailer, at which point I'll skip it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's Guy Ritchie, so I'm already disappointed Vinnie Jones isn't playing the Genie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tars Tarkas posted:

lol at that pull quote

Race over!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Big Short was a much better told and less indulgent movie about white-collar crime than the Wolf of Wall Street.

I liked The Big Short, but when Adam McKay’s showing off that he’s a big boy making grown up movies now, it suffers. Wolf of Wall Street is one of the masters of the craft throwing everything he’s got into it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I’ve only bits and pieces of it, but there was an episode of it that referenced the ending of one of my favorite Tex Avery cartoons, Bad Luck Blackie (not racist, it’s about a black cat)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

That Aladdin cover makes it look like the entire cast should be waving emphatically from atop a float

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Don’t forget that the new Aladdin is literally using brownface in crowd shots because the production crew claimed they couldn’t find enough Middle Eastern dancers and acrobats, they they painted white people.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fart City posted:

That Aladdin cover makes it look like the entire cast should be waving emphatically from atop a float
That or this:
https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1075384174134091777

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I couldn't quite put my finger on it until now, but it looks like it should be an Asylum movie.

EDIT:

I think I would enjoy an Asylum ripoff of Aladdin more than this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Imagine if Disney had brought over a big Bollywood director to make the giant gonzo version of Aladdin :allears:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I don't know if it's the lighting and/or Photoshop, but man, live-action Aladdin and Jasmine look super light-skinned compared to their animated counterparts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Makes me think of a low budget stage production.
There's a guy in Toronto who's been putting on British-style pantomime plays for... decades?

This was his Aladdin production. Yes, that's a skateboard. And yes, that's Bret Hart playing the Genie.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I’m Abu’s realization that something is wrong and he shouldn’t exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dren posted:

I’m Abu’s realization that something is wrong and he shouldn’t exist

I mentioned Tobias Funke as a look for the Genie but this lighting makes it look like it's Abu who blue himself.