Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone use Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker on Android? It crashes on open now. Reinstalled but same problem. Probably lost my saved campaign. Luckily it's just the one though and it's tracked elsewhere too and on the board.

I use it. It still works fine for me. Sorry it borked for you :( At least you have backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I think I've got everything sorted up to start the LP, thanks again for the suggestions!

I'd like one last input from the thread: I was thinking about going with a 3 hero setup (less admin/lenght for each scenario while still having enough heroes for "roles" to matter), but I would like to hear your opinions on a 4 player campaign. What's your suggestion?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

I think I've got everything sorted up to start the LP, thanks again for the suggestions!

I'd like one last input from the thread: I was thinking about going with a 3 hero setup (less admin/lenght for each scenario while still having enough heroes for "roles" to matter), but I would like to hear your opinions on a 4 player campaign. What's your suggestion?

Three, for exactly your reasons.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm just checking my thinking, but there's no functional difference between "Range 1" and "adjacent" in terms of targeting, right?

Obviously, range 1 would get disadvantage for attacks, but the targets you can choose from are the same, right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

That Italian Guy posted:

3 is also the optimal number for Gloomhaven IMO, 2 doesn't allow as much different roles but 4 can often seem a bit cramped.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I really enjoy four person play but yeah mileage may vary; on tabletop it's nice to divide out the admin among four people. I feel like the strategic elements -- the Oak, retirements, etc -- are balanced best for four players.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I usually prefer 4 - it allows for more interesting team synergies, and craghearts love crowded maps. But yeah, for a pbp, 3 is probably ideal.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Some Numbers posted:

I'm just checking my thinking, but there's no functional difference between "Range 1" and "adjacent" in terms of targeting, right?

Obviously, range 1 would get disadvantage for attacks, but the targets you can choose from are the same, right?

There are +range effects in the game which would work on the former but not the latter. Not a huge difference otherwise.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like 4 players allows for the best character balance and build diversity. Classes like the Tinkerer are still a bit behind with 3 players.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well, here goes nothing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877469

The Let's Play is live! :getin:

EDIT: in the end I went with 3 players as admin time is going to play a major factor in the health of the LP, I assume...and it's the "best in" number on BGG, even if not by a large margin.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 19, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Some Numbers posted:

Range 1 can also target yourself if it can target players. "Heal 4 range 1" can heal yourself, while "Heal an adjacent target 4" cannot

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Kaza42 posted:

Range 1 can also target yourself if it can target players. "Heal 4 range 1" can heal yourself, while "Heal an adjacent target 4" cannot

This. Also I may be miaremembering, but is there some kind of edge case where if the hexes are adjacent but have a partial wall between them, melee doesn't work but ranged could with LOS? Or am I thinking of another game?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My cragheart retired tonight.

As a result of this and the scenario goals, we have unlocked both Three Spears and Sun.

My party is...
Cthulhu (90% of sessions)
Triforce (90%)
Brute (60%, used to be 90%)
Scoundrel (30% of sessions, backup if the Brute can't make it)

We are at Prosperity 4.

Should I go Three Spears or Sun? Initial thoughts...

Three Spears seems super gimmicky but incredibly powerful with a kitted-out party. We are not that kitted-out. It looks kinda cheesy tho?

Sun seems a lot more straightforward - straight-up a great leader, but I am not always into support classes, and don't know how compatible we'd be since I'd be mostly melee and the most consistent core of the party is mostly ranged.

Both look fun. What should I play?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sun can work fine with an all ranged group; you just emphasise the tanking and damage dealing side more. And it's got a lot of attack 4 and 5s (often with advantage) so it's pretty good at hurting things.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
We've barely touched Three Spears, but I played Sun to level 9 and then some. Sun can be played as a single-target melee beatstick that happens to be durable when you eat some inevitable hits. Indeed, that's almost certainly how it'll play out even if you intended to go tank - you need enhancements, items, and ideally support buffs to make the full-tank Sun build shine. Both classes have build variety though, neither is stuck with a single role. It comes down to personal playstyle preference: Sun is straightforward while Three Spears is a combo engine. If you just want to get in and crack some skulls then Sun is the way to go. If you like building and managing an intricate machine then Three Spears might be more up your alley.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

This. Also I may be miaremembering, but is there some kind of edge case where if the hexes are adjacent but have a partial wall between them, melee doesn't work but ranged could with LOS? Or am I thinking of another game?

Close. AOE templates ignore walls, but any other case of drawing range can't go through walls, even if the two hexes are otherwise "adjacent"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

My cragheart retired tonight.

As a result of this and the scenario goals, we have unlocked both Three Spears and Sun.

My party is...
Cthulhu (90% of sessions)
Triforce (90%)
Brute (60%, used to be 90%)
Scoundrel (30% of sessions, backup if the Brute can't make it)

We are at Prosperity 4.

Should I go Three Spears or Sun? Initial thoughts...

Three Spears seems super gimmicky but incredibly powerful with a kitted-out party. We are not that kitted-out. It looks kinda cheesy tho?

Sun seems a lot more straightforward - straight-up a great leader, but I am not always into support classes, and don't know how compatible we'd be since I'd be mostly melee and the most consistent core of the party is mostly ranged.

Both look fun. What should I play?

Sun appears to play more of a support role when you first read through the cards, but a lot of your turns are just you clowning on a guy with attack 4-5 and advantage. Once you enhance +1 to the bottom of Defensive Stance you become probably the most durable class in the game.

Three Spears is a broken class. Those +0 refresh an item perks refresh any item. Cloak of Invisibility? Refreshed. Warhammer? Refreshed. Major Stamina Potion? Refreshed. Also, your 9 card hand size is meaningless, if you want to you can never run out of cards. You actually have to choose to just not go infinite in your first scenario and gain infinite exp with sharpening kit + scroll of recall + major stamina potion.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OK, I will go Sun. :)

I like straightforward, I like tanking, I like punking fools, I like trading light with the Elementalist, and I don't like broken stuff.

Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just retired sun (loved.it) and am now playing Music Note.

I love it so much. The previous player hated how passive it was. I *love* that poo poo. I can get as drunk as I want, barely even have to pay attention to anything beyond arranging the evening's playlist. I don't even have to be in the same room half the time! *Sings*

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How did y'all do scenario 60?

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 20, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
In other news, we did Scenario 36b last night. Some thoughts on it.

(1) Our door only lasted 2 rounds. Ah well. The demons were just too efficient at knocking down its paltry 13 hp. We thought we were lost at that point.
(2) The City Archers were amazing badasses and definitely the MVPs. We would have lost resoundingly were it not for these two little jerks firing strong, long range attacks from the walls. They were murder on the flame demons and probably did a third or so of the damage to the demon lord.
(3) We thought we were going to lose badly, but the Demon Lord in this scenario is really not that big a deal. He just has a ton of HP. He doesn't do anything tricky per the scenario rules, he just takes hits and deals damage. Since he's the only one we needed to kill, it was easy enough with our Archer backups.
(4) Wow, the reward is fantastic. +4 reputation almost doubled what we'd had to that point over ~20 scenarios. And it unlocked the Sun class for us.
(5) When your only real goal in a scenario is to earn coins, which was mine, getting immobilized the whole time while surrounded by spawned enemies is just no good.

For all that, we still only won by the skin of our teeth. I was down to my last 2 cards after losing the rest to negate damage.

e: I also still need a good name for my Sun character. All of my ideas are lame.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 20, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Calliope.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

In other news, we did Scenario 36b last night. Some thoughts on it.

e: I also still need a good name for my Sun character. All of my ideas are lame.

I have been generating all my Gloomhaven character names by cribbing from a list of names of catholic saints.

https://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Reik posted:

How did y'all do scenario 60?

Just unlocked it the other night, so we should get to it some time over Christmas / NY.

I think it looks really rough for some 2P combos and I think going in blind would have resulted in a loss.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

So branching off from the LP thread because I don't want to even potentially spoil anything, re: Personal Quest #529 (title: The Fall of Man)

That PQ is a terribly designed Personal Quest for two linked reasons. The quest requires you to complete two scenarios in the Lingering Swamp, which on the surface isn't bad. However, there are actually only two scenarios even available in the Swamp which aren't locked behind permanent plot choices and one of those two scenarios is only available as a random scenario from the random scenario deck. And, to make it worse, the plot choices required to actually get all the other Lingering Swamp quests will absolutely destroy your reputation to the point where you're very likely to have already unlocked Eclipse via low reputation before you can complete the quest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

So branching off from the LP thread because I don't want to even potentially spoil anything, re: Personal Quest #529 (title: The Fall of Man)

That PQ is a terribly designed Personal Quest for two linked reasons. The quest requires you to complete two scenarios in the Lingering Swamp, which on the surface isn't bad. However, there are actually only two scenarios even available in the Swamp which aren't locked behind permanent plot choices and one of those two scenarios is only available as a random scenario from the random scenario deck. And, to make it worse, the plot choices required to actually get all the other Lingering Swamp quests will absolutely destroy your reputation to the point where you're very likely to have already unlocked Eclipse via low reputation before you can complete the quest.

Your first point would be reasonable if not for the fact that you can complete plot locked quests in casual mode and count them toward your PQ.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Your first point would be reasonable if not for the fact that you can complete plot locked quests in casual mode and count them toward your PQ.

PQ 529 The problem is the scenarios are double locked, you don't even put the stickers on the map until you've already played one scenario after making the choice, and you can only play a scenario in casual mode if it's on the map. However, in the Let's Play we have the option of starting with the personal quest, so we will definitely hit the two story scenarios, which is why I voted for it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Technically you can only play quests in casual mode which you have unlocked. For example, if you choose to turn on Whatserface the merchant at the first chance you get, you can go back and play her third quest in casual mode -- but you couldn't play any scenarios that scenario unlocked because playing in casual doesn't unlock scenarios. The scenarios required for The Fall of Man aren't locked immediately behind a choice, IIRC; they're locked behind a scenario which results from a choice. Even if you decide not to make that choice, you can play the scenario immediately blocked by it, but not any scenarios it blocks. Including all but two of the Swamp scenarios.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zurai posted:

Technically you can only play quests in casual mode which you have unlocked. For example, if you choose to turn on Whatserface the merchant at the first chance you get, you can go back and play her third quest in casual mode -- but you couldn't play any scenarios that scenario unlocked because playing in casual doesn't unlock scenarios. The scenarios required for The Fall of Man aren't locked immediately behind a choice, IIRC; they're locked behind a scenario which results from a choice. Even if you decide not to make that choice, you can play the scenario immediately blocked by it, but not any scenarios it blocks. Including all but two of the Swamp scenarios.

PQ 529 That's my understanding of how casual mode works, but it's not that far fetched that you'll hit the two story scenarios in the swamp within a reasonable amount of time, and there's always a chance you pull the random side scenario.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

At least one of the Swamp scenarios gets unlocked along with a paired scenario (31 and 32, I think?). Once you have one, it's not impossible to get another.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

At least one of the Swamp scenarios gets unlocked along with a paired scenario (31 and 32, I think?). Once you have one, it's not impossible to get another.

PQ 529 You have to really work at it to lock yourself out of 32. The issue is if after Jekserah you don't go down the mountain pass opting instead to explore the other avenues, it will be a while before you make it to 32.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Now I'm confused because you're saying it's awful and terribly designed, but the last couple of posts seem to be saying that it's totally doable?

Which is it?

Edit: Oh my god, I'm mixing you two up because neither of you have avatars.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
You got Parent Trapped.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zurai posted:

And, to make it worse, the plot choices required to actually get all the other Lingering Swamp quests will absolutely destroy your reputation to the point where you're very likely to have already unlocked Eclipse via low reputation before you can complete the quest.

Regarding this part at least (PQ529): my party is playing the stereotypical "good guys" route and racking up a ton of reputation, to the point I think we are at -4 gold on the market, and we still unlocked 2 of the regular plot locations in the swamp, one of them fairly early on. At this point we have 2 swamp scenarios completed and one still open (the third being a randomly pulled one), so when one of us does get that quest it might require a replay but that doesn't bother us. Granted, it might not be a great choice from the beginning tho.

Some Numbers posted:

Now I'm confused because you're saying it's awful and terribly designed, but the last couple of posts seem to be saying that it's totally doable?

Which is it?

Edit: Oh my god, I'm mixing you two up because neither of you have avatars.

I think there's the potential you could take a route where you lock yourself into a situation where you can only meet the requirements by sheer luck, but the debate is over how likely that is to happen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zurai posted:

Technically you can only play quests in casual mode which you have unlocked.

"The Rules posted:

"In casual mode, players can play any revealed scenario on the world map regardless of achievements or whether it has been completed in campaign mode.

Emphasis mine. So you can play locked scenarios (although the rules recommend you don't).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Emphasis mine. So you can play locked scenarios (although the rules recommend you don't).

We're saying the same thing, just using different terms. By "unlocked" I mean "the sticker is placed on the map".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zurai posted:

We're saying the same thing, just using different terms. By "unlocked" I mean "the sticker is placed on the map".
Ah yeah, oops.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

PQ 529 The problem is the scenarios are double locked, you don't even put the stickers on the map until you've already played one scenario after making the choice, and you can only play a scenario in casual mode if it's on the map. However, in the Let's Play we have the option of starting with the personal quest, so we will definitely hit the two story scenarios, which is why I voted for it.

More 529 spoilers: 19 should be one everybody unlocks and costs no reputation at all. 32 requires you to pursue a questline that doesn't cost reputation either. If you miss 32, you do have to rely on the random unlocks, but honestly, part of the point of the PQ should be to want to do something like 32. The main problem is that none of the PQs that are associated with completing scenarios in specific regions are clearly linked with the decisions needed to unlock scenarios in those regions, because unlocks tend to be scattered all over the place instead of doing a whole chain in one location. The only issue with it at the start is that you're definitely doing more than 10-15 scenarios before retiring. It is possible to get to 19 quickly and if your first random unlock is the right one you could retire pretty fast: potentially in 7-8 scenarios.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Narsham posted:

The main problem is that none of the PQs that are associated with completing scenarios in specific regions are clearly linked with the decisions needed to unlock scenarios in those regions, because unlocks tend to be scattered all over the place instead of doing a whole chain in one location.

PQ 521 actually does a decent job of that. You need to do 3 in the Dagger Forest. There's one early on that everyone gets access to, and then there are two short scenario chains that take place there. Plus you've got scattered scenarios from events and other places.

It'd still be good to have a bit more direction about which way to go though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of weird personal quests...

My sun's personal quest is to watch teammates exhaust 15 times. :v:

But my other option was for a class that's already been unlocked, so....

I guess this would have been easy with Three Spears but I think my party would have hated me for running the stamina potion infinite loop until everyone else exhausted, over and over again.